Latham & Watkins LLP Employee Reviews

Latham & Watkins...
Trial Technology Consultant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 11, 2019
Latham & Watkins is the largest and most likely the most powerful law firm in the world. They strive to provide the best in legal services.
The firm itself sufferers from a real lack of moral. The culture I found to be a bit disingenuous and in some instances just very cliquish. The reason is the Mid-Management of the firm. I noticed a great deal of "turn around" sure there are those who are lifelong career members of Latham, but the turn around is actually quite noticeable.
Pros
Great Pay and Benefits
Cons
Mid Management practices.
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 2, 2019
A typical work day consisted of having breakfast in the cafe in the morning to get the day started. Then to my desk to begin working on the day to day tasks assigned by the attorneys.
everyone is a team player; great staff and attorneys
Legal Secretary IV (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 26, 2018
All the secretaries were busy and helpful. A typical day at work could mean coming into the office and covering multiple desks, but we are a face paced firm and we just take care of the jobs assigned to us.
typical law firm
Global Benefits Generalist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 1, 2018
typical law firm. Flat organization model.Nice benefit package. Not much opportunity for administrative advancement.typical law firm. Attorney centric.
enjoyed working there. no intention of leaving.
Legal Secretary to Partner (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 18, 2018
Latham & Watkins was a wonderful place to work at. I worked 8 - 5, secretaries did billing, and processed a lot of documents and were always willing to help each other.
A global top-tier law firm.
Technology Support Specialist II (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 21, 2018
I've worked at Latham & Watkins for more than a decade and am proud to be a part of this top-tier global law firm. The long standing friendships established, the work and the environment makes it a great place to be. The most challenging aspect of the job is to adapt to the everchanging demands of technology and maintain hi-quality service at all times. Doing so makes for a successful professional environment and adds to personal growth.
Pros
State of the art environment.
Cons
Fast paced.
Latham & Watkins LLP experience
Contract Attorney (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 18, 2018
Working with the associates through our project managers was a good experience. There was no micro-managing with allowed for more freedom of movement.
Great legal team to work with...
Sr. Software Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 4, 2018
Monitoring and maintaining the computer systems and networks within an organization, troubleshooting network problems; escalating problems to tier 3 or higher.
Provided technical assistance and support for incoming queries and issues related to remote access, computer systems, software, and hardware.
Cons
No free parking
Great company to work for
Human Resources and Attorney Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 28, 2018
Terrific culture and people across the Firm. Great leadership and smart people. Staff are treated fairly and well respected. Very professional office environment.
Top-tier work in a collegial environment
Senior Associate, Corporate Finance (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 25, 2018
Working at Latham was an enriching experience. The partners were generally available to mentor and teach associates -- it is a truly open-door firm. Great place to work!!
Wonderful work place.
Litigation Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 21, 2018
Great place to work. Human Resource makes it a priority to get to know employees and are available when needed. Upbeat, fun and hard working people. Team work.
Not an enjoyable place to work
Legal Secretary III (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 21, 2018
I supported a tax partner and two other associates and the communication left something to be desired. I learned that you should never feel that you cant lose your job because private industry has less job security. yes it was my first time being laid off with no notice that it was happening. The culture was very conservative. The ppl I supported made it almost impossible to work for them due to the lack of wanting to communicate. the most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that I was paid a lot in salary. But I learned that money/salary is not everything. Piece of mind can mean a lot in the working world and when you have that you want to do more and you perform better.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Management was not good
Fast paced environment eased with incredible benefits, competitive salary
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 20, 2018
I worked as a legal secretary in the Washington, DC office. The training is decent, but be ready to learn quickly. Many of the younger attorneys are less reliant on secretary assistance, so the attorney to secretary ratio is high. One secretary is expected to support 5 to 8 attorneys of their own, plus the attorneys of any neighboring secretaries who happen to be out. Busy and fast paced is an understatement- there is never a dull moment. Overtime is usually available for those who want it. The salary, benefits, and firm perks (like free Friday morning bagels and doughnuts, fun holiday events, free gym, and occasional jeans' days) are all part of what makes Latham interesting. They also have a pie eating contest around Thanksgiving. Overall, a good place to work if you don't mind being very busy.
Pros
Salary, benefits, free breakfast Fridays, employee discounts, some very friendly attorneys
Cons
Lousy OT approval policy, some arrogant and condescending attorneys, secretaries expected to support too many attorneys
I accepted the job as a legal secretay because of the overtime, but my real profession was and still remains Administrative Management.
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 1, 2018
A typical day at work: Extremely busy.
Good training.
No comment about management.
Mixed cultures.
Nothing about my job was hard. In fact, a partner once told me that I could do my job with one eye closed and one hand tied behind my back.
The most enjoyable part of my job was leaving to go home at the end of the day.
Productive and a fun place to work
Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 7, 2018
A typical day at work consists of assisting attorneys, paralegals and staff with any technology incidents regarding their laptops, computer/desktop, printer and/or Blackberry/iOS devices. I learned how to setup/image/configure computers/laptops, install communication apps on Blackberry/iOS devices and how to troubleshoot all devices and pieces of technology including the printers. Besides the meetings and cases being held, they have fun events throughout the firm and this firm embraces diversity well.
I loved this law firm
Legal Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 3, 2018
Latham & Watkins was the best place to work. I worked for the best attorneys. They were amazing professionals and they were a joy to work for. I learned quite a bit from them.
Latham & Watkins
Executive Assistant to Senior Partner (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 28, 2018
Was a wonderful place to work. I am sorry I had to leave due to my husband job relocation. Longevity is truly a key work for most of the secretarial force.
Hard place to work
Litigation/Antitrust/Corporate Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 6, 2018
I don't feel that I can adequately review this job since I worked there so long ago. You were definitely compensated for working long hours and you had to work long hours. I learned a lot working there.
Great teamwork environment
Billing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 5, 2018
Surrounded by genuine and caring people. Great teamwork, we use each other to talk through situations, to stay sane after a rough day. Because of the fast-paced environment, there can be some tougher days, but I do believe that comes along with any career path.
Great place to work!
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAMarch 7, 2018
Latham is a wonderful place to work. They care about their employees, are generous with compensation and benefits, believe in rewarding your efforts and offer lots of extras. The employees are fun to work with and make the day go by quickly.