Laughlin Constable

Laughlin Constable Reviews with Jobs

United States14 reviews

Laughlin Constable insights

What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Inclusive work environment

Good company

It's a family company, so the politics could make the work strange, but overall, I had a positive experience there. I will say they do not compensate employees well enough.

Poor leadership but you can drink

Either you are slammed or begging for hours. Your performance is heavily tied to billable hours and likability. Flexible hours for the most part. Unlimited PTO. Annual layoffs usually in October/November. Top management has favorites and lacks any understanding within the technology/digital space including the person at the top of the engineering team. The creative department is favored. Accounts with 'traditional' clients are also favored. Nepotism. HR has no grasp on what is happening and doesn't make appropriate changes when made aware. Top leadership could use some youth, diversity and fresh ideas. Morale is low and there is no cultural outside of drinking.

Pros

Popcorn Thursdays, Unlimited PTO, there are some really smart people, liberal ideals, good place for 20 & 30 somethings without families, Business hours usually start at 9am

Cons

New ideas are dismissed, Leadership lacks innovation, creative is lacking, CTO is a bust, billable hours and budgets drive everything, sales time & effort impact new project budgets, stay away if you are a military or police family, annual layoffs, multiple family members work there

A good agency trying hard to get better

Laughlin has deep roots in creativity, and has rounded itself out to be strong across all disciplines -- media, strategy, digital, content, and analytics. HR does a good job finding and hiring good people who want to be part of a team, contribute to clients' success, and have some fun along the way. Leadership includes good people who are trying hard to navigate the changing marketing landscape with mixed results. The desire is there, good people are there and, for the most part, a great work ethic and culture is there. The pieces are in place to grow -- the next year is pivotal.

Great pay but needs a more defined promotional structure and mentorship program.

Good people for the most part and great pay, though the path for advancement is unclear. Often goes through management changes which makes knowing who your boss is very unclear. Certain positions have ZERO consideration for career advancement or where you will go in your individual career after working for them.

Pros

Good pay, flexible hours

Cons

Very little structure or standardization, felt like a leaf in the wind

Out of Touch

In my short time there I noticed the traditional stereotypes of patriarchal ad agency life in play. Not everyone followed that type of sublimation but those that did found themselves in the core strategy team. It's a shame because the organization had a lot of talent and potential but ego and internal influence shaped the viability of the company.

Great Place to Start and Finish Your Career

Best job I've had by far. Plenty of autonomy while also a structured workplace. Open door policy all the way up to the CEO. Smart and creative co-workers. Strong work-life balance.

Pros

See the review.

Cons

Sometimes the hours ar long. Sometimes deadlines are tight. But that's the business.

Media Department is Not a Team

Media Department mismanaged. Lack of communication and training from the first day. There was not a Media Department Process developed and Media was not part of the strategy discussions with clients.

Good place if economy is strong

Like many Ad Agencies, if the economy is strong and clients are abundant, the work place has great atmosphere with ample opportunities. However, when the economy was such as it was after 2008, clients left the agency and 20% of staff was let go, the culture turned sour. People were competitive for hours, always afraid of lay-offs, 401K was halted, bonuses stopped, healthcare premiums went up, etc. What I learned is that it's a fun place to work at in one's 20s and 30s, but horrible for people who have families, mortgages and need stability.

Great group, great environment ... feels like a startup

I worked between two offices, Milwaukee and Chicago. The two teams were very different but I felt like I was part of something big. We had a great and successful project and we worked hard.

Pros

flexibilty

Cons

lack of project work

Medium Sized Agency

When LC has good accounts, it is a great place to work. People are hard working and take pride in their work. It is a great collaborative environment.

Most Enjoyable Part of the Job

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to work with such accomplished and experienced professionals. The opportunity to be surrounded by such great mentors allows me to develop and learn quickly.

Great Place To Work and Strong Professional Development- Poor Work Flows

Laughlin is a great place to work and leadership supports a strong work/life balance. Big issue is the company still has an old school marketing mind set and doesn't know how to use data and analytics to it's full potential. This also disrupts work flows and work quality

Nice place to work

I enjoyed going to work everyday as there were new things to learn about the advertisement business. My manager was very helpful in explaining things to me. Some of the co-workers not as accepting to new people and it would get very slow at times. The hardest part was trying to please certain people.

Pros

Very in tune with ones health and well being

Cons

Some employees are not willing to give a person a chance or are not very approachable

Play hard, work hard.

LC has great team members with a dedicated working environment. LC also has a great social element at work and outside of work if one is interested.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Laughlin Constable. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.7Personal Development
3.2Career Opportunities
4.2Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight
  • Laughlin Constable
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?