Lauritzen Gardens

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Energizing work tasks
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Support from manager

Beautiful place to work

Beautiful place to work and most staff are friendly, professional, and passionate about their work. Director team could be described as disfunctional and disassociated.

Fun place to work

Very enjoyable management and a great group of people to work with. Everyone gets along well while also maintaining a professional work environment. Fun place

Love working with plants ,learing new areas of the gardens and being outside year round

Bad turnover rate for director of horticulture we have had 6 in the past 7 yrs. No advancement opportunities. The general staff are helpful and approachable.

Pros

Good benifits work and with staffs schedule

Cons

Turnover rate no advancement

Lovely gardens but bad place to work

Director is dictatorial and way to hands-on. They need fresh blood and someone without the emotional connect to "the gardens". Not enough staff. Expect volunteers to provide grunt work. Overall, a rather stuffy work atmosphere. Low pay.

Pros

pretty surroundings

Cons

Bad work culture in about every way

Beautiful Place to Visit, not work

You are expected to put in many extra hours with no pay and no comp time if you are salaried. Some of the directors are unprofessional and yell at their staff in the middle of the hallway with guests around. Every minute detail of the garden is micro-managed by the executive director and new ideas are not welcomed here. I would not recommend working here even though it is a beautiful place to visit.

Pros

Beautiful atmosphere, wonderful cafe and co-workers.

Cons

Directors Unprofessional, low pay, work lots of extra hours and weekends.

Beautiful location, poor management directives

Every single detail is directed by the CEO. Employee suggestions are not welcomed. Volunteers are the life-blood of the organization yet are not encouraged to participate.

Pros

Beautiful surroundings

Cons

management style

team atmosphere with loose management style; labor intensive but can be creatively rewarding

A typical day starts with a staff meeting, and decisions are made regarding most pressing projects for that day. We will either collaborate on large projects, or tend to individual projects as the day and week unfolds. Designing and planning the gardens is very challenging but fun. However, the physical demands can be a test, especially in inclement weather.

Difficult standards with high turnover

I enjoy working at Lauritzen Gardens, but my workload is overwhelming. I work with a great group of people, but we have constant high turnover. In my year working here, I have outlasted two department directors and at least 10 staff members who left for better positions. Benefits are good here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lauritzen Gardens. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Lauritzen Gardens Reviews by Location