Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Employee Reviews

Wonderful Real World Industry Experience Opportunity
Information Technology Intern (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJuly 6, 2018
I got the chance to work on some innovative Google Enterprise features such as Google Apps Script and Google Drive. What I really enjoyed most was the low-pressure learning environment with plenty of room to make my own decisions. Work hours were extremely accommodating of my school schedule. It was the best place I ever worked.
Pros
Fun Projects with Minimal Oversight
Cons
Not as much challenge as I would have liked
Good Place to be Temporarily
Postdoctoral Chemist (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJune 15, 2018
Good work life balance, but not a ton of motivation to finish. Government jobs do the minimum, and there is a lot of self preservation to just achieve the minimum.
From the perspective of a beamline user
PhD student/Beamline User (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJune 11, 2018
Getting experiments done at the synchrotron (we do very demanding experiments) takes a lot of work hours and man power. If a member of the team (whether that member is a beamline user of beamline scientist) is not "on-board" then the chances of completing an experiment to a satisfactory extent are minimal. However, if everyone is on board then doing experiments at the synchrotron is very rewarding.
Cons
Long working hours (sometimes more than 20 hours a day)
Good learning environment
Principal Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMay 25, 2018
Being associated with the University of California in Berkeley made for a very academic environment that provided many learning opportunities. Many guest scientists came and presented their research during "Brown Bag" sessions.
Pros
Academic environment
Cons
Bad middle managers
Great opportunity to collaborate with very talented and hard-working people
Associate (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMay 24, 2018
Great work/life balance. Slow paced at times due to federal red tape, funding, and culture issues. However the people here are wonderful to work with.
Slow paced, good Work/Life Balance
Post-doctoral Fellow & Project Scientist (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMay 11, 2018
Slow paced, good Work/Life Balance. The pay is mid of way compared to university and industry. The colleagues are nice. But the division level management is poor.
Pros
Slow paced, good Work/Life Balance
Cons
poor upper management
Great organization
Software Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMay 10, 2018
I think you get what you expect at Berkeley Lab. Very smart and helpful coworkers, an environment that promotes constant learning, maybe too many meetings, pay is not as high as you can get in industry. I enjoyed my internship and am glad I went for it.
Fast paced
Student Intern (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMay 4, 2018
A typical day here is fast paced. Your down time is extremely limited but the atmosphere is great. There are so many bright minds here. The most enjoyable part for me was seeing my ideas implemented in final designs.
Pros
Good cafeteria
Wonderful Place to Work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAApril 6, 2018
Many expense reports to process, finding availability to schedule meetings and trying to locate a conference room on the Berkeley campus which was extremely difficult with so many employees and not enough conference rooms to hold business meetings, which would then be scheduled in the manager's office.

Created Power Point presentations for Manager's and Scientists. Ordered Scientific Journals and processed for payment. Supported Division Director's when their Assistants were out or on vacation.
Pros
three different cafeteria's
Cons
lots of walking
Academic Environment
Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMarch 23, 2018
Light work load and a strong academic environment allow for strong personal development. The academic culture can be toxic at times and reliance on government spending can make the culture more political than desired.
Great place to work with some of the smartest people
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAMarch 15, 2018
Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory is a relaxed place to work with some of the smartest people. A lot depends on how one decides to use his time . Lot of opportunities to learn
Pros
Very Relaxed yet a great enviornment for learning
Too structured
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Emeryville, CAMarch 13, 2018
I worked with fun loving and hard working individuals. I had learned to organize a seminar for over 100 guests that included people coming from other countries.
Could be a really nice place to work but isn't
Computer Software Engineer III (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAFebruary 10, 2018
The site is beautiful, but hard to commute to/from unless you live in Berkeley. It was taking me over 2 hours each way from San Francisco - a lot of it waiting for a shuttle from BART up to the lab.. Driving isn't a good option because parking up on the hill is all but nonexistent

You're totally responsible for a project but don't get cooperation from the user/customer/management to get it done. You really end up trying to do several jobs project management and reporting, business analyst, product manager, developer, QA tester, Production support for existing systems all at once with timeframes that don't let you do any of them very well..

They do have a cafeteria - run by the same company that does the UC student cafeterias and has the same menu.

Advancement - only possible when someone retires.

They seem to love meetings - the more people at them and the longer they last, the better.
Pros
Beautiful place to work, interesting subjects and people
Cons
Strange way to do systems development / run an IT organization
n/a
Facilities Control Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJanuary 31, 2018
Working at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab was the best to work. Facilities Managers and Plant Maintenance Technicians are collaborative and made working environment stress free to work.
Pros
Cons
n/a
Excellent working conditions with very knowledgeable people.
(Rehire) Electronics Engineering Associate Senior (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJanuary 12, 2018
I performed design work in electronics and mechanical apparatus for the Advanced Light Source accelerator. I also coordinated between the very crafts to bring a project to conclusion.
Was a good learnign experance
internship (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CAJanuary 11, 2018
Working at LBL was a wonderful experience, I learned a lot about working in a research institution. The environment was backed with the best minds in the world.
I have attached my cover letter
Immigration Specialist (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CADecember 19, 2017
It is an excellent place to work with. The only reason I wan to move is that it was a contract/temporary job and I am looking for permanent work. So working with the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab was a great experience but it is not permanent
Lawrence National Lab
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CADecember 4, 2017
It's an incredible experience to work in a national laboratory. Research projects are exciting, and co-workers and project managers are highly motivated.
Outstanding organization
Principal Subcontract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Berkeley, CANovember 15, 2017
Procurement at the lab can be stressful as the workload is intense but the managers are very good at stepping up and helping each other out. (Example: If one team gets overloaded with requirements and another team's requirements might have slowed down,the team with less requirements will take on some of the requirements from the overwhelmed team to ease their burden and ensure customers get their subcontracts issued in a timely manner.
Pros
Much less stress than Federal procurement
Cons
Salary could be better but benefits are outstanding
Good benefits and compensation
HR Administrator (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CANovember 11, 2017
Good place to work in terms compensation and benefits. Stressful environment at times due to lack of Work/Life balance. I’m fine overall but I recently relocated to the Sacramento area and want to work closer to home.
Pros
Comp and benefits
Cons
No good work/life balance