Lawrence Hall Employee Reviews

2.8
Ratings breakdown
exciting place to work
Residential treatment specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 18, 2018
The job can be difficult at times however the purpose is way more rewarding. I enjoy working with my youth and they enjoy me being there. Looking forward to growing with the company and learning even more.
Long work days/nights with little to no support from co workers.
Life Skills Educator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 17, 2018
Leadership was by far the most incompetent and least supportive groups of individuals I ever met. Many have no idea of how to work with at risk youth. Most of your concerns and safety is disregarded. Coworkers are often messy and will throw you under the bus my any means. Youth are challenging (which is expected). They're NEVER hold accountable for their behavior. The pay is awful. If you are straight out of college and desperate need of job Lawrence Hall will be a great start. You'll learn a lot about the pros and cons of working for social service agency. While there are flaws with every non for profit, Lawrence Hall by far is the worst one I have encountered.
Pros
Down time when working in a TLP.
Cons
Leadership. Pay.
I can not recommend this.
Office Aid (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 16, 2018
The only positives were few work hours and the fact that it was a job. It's a therapeutic day school where students fought 4 days a week and the staff couldn't care less. If you have even a shred of human decency this place is not for you.
good
Job Coach/Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 12, 2018
This is a very positive position. manage a caseload of 18 residential clients in a transitional program 18-21 to independent living. Conduct extensive outreach and networking building referrals and partnership with local businesses, property managers and community resources. Perform group/individual counseling and mentorship, as well as life, vocational and career coaching/ trading.:
Review of LH
Life Skill Educator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 23, 2018
Great entry level job for students coming out of college. I would not recommend this company to any party working past entry level. The company unfortunately does not support their, residents, staff, nor mission statement.
Pros
Work experience
Cons
Pay, Management, and etc.
Worthwhile, easy if you’re willing to work
Make-Ready (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXMarch 17, 2018
It can be tough at times and completely packed and stressful with no downtime at all, but others is so slow and dull that you wished you had something to do. Overall, a good experience.
Pros
Hour lunch
Cons
Can get really stressful
Current employee
Direct staff (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 9, 2018
I have not worked here long but, Lawrence Hall appears to be so far an excellent place to work, but it needs more solidarity across the board. There are a lot of friendly staff in all areas. The youth needs to be held more accountable when they act out instead of being rewarded or able to be involved in activities how is that helping the situation. I have noticed that some supervisors are supportive where as to others need assistance in that area.
Pros
helping people, learning while on the job to advance
Cons
pay could be better
No place to work
Family Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 24, 2018
Not a good place to work there is no structure. Clients are not properly medicated and are allowed to leave the facility when they want. Several of the clients have over dosed and commit crimes while out in the community. Guns have been able to make there way into the agency as well as street drugs.
Cons
Do not support their employees
Worst Foster Care Department to Ever Work At!
Child Welfare Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 2, 2018
You are expected to sink or swim without any proper training.

The leadership is nonexistence

You are expected to work like a dog with no compensation.

Upper management doesn't care about your self-care. Everything is about the families, you're irrelevant.

The level of gossiping is unreal....Management can be leaders of it all.

You will NEVER be appreciated!

Your concerns and opinions are always disregarded and never taken seriously.

The workload is unacceptable and unrealistic
Benefits
Cons
Management, Stressful, Workload, Unrealistic Standards, Gossip, Low Pay
Good Starter Position
Residential Treatment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 1, 2017
This is a good job for someone fresh to the mental and behavioral health field. Clients will challenge you and give you the opportunity to learn different skills. Co Workers are great and supportive, some of the management suck. They are not on the units often and undermine what you say. The clients behave as expected. The pay is not great but their is plenty of OT available to earn extra money. The holidays are always nice and feel very family oriented, the staff go over and beyond to cook great meals, plan activities, and host beautiful gatherings. Staff supports quickly and effectively when Staff Assistance is called, which helps to keep you safe and confident. Not a bad place to start out and learn skills.
Pros
Supportive Staff, OT Available, and ability to be a positive resource for the youth
Cons
Pay, Management inconsistency, expensive medical

Want to know more about Lawrence Hall?

Ask a question
Opportunity For Advancement
Substance Abuse Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 7, 2017
*Assisting clients with everyday life skills
*Transporting clients to various appointments
*Provides case management skills for youth
*Teach youth about proper hygiene and social skills
Great place
LPN (Current Employee) –  Walnut Ridge, ARSeptember 13, 2017
Great place to work, excellent team work,wonderful resident care. Very flexible schedules, competitive pay, connected to hospital for better quality care
Day at LH
Child Welfare Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 19, 2017
I am rather new but from what I've seen thus far, everyone has a very busy day at LH with answering client calls, seeing clients, putting in case notes, and speaking with admin/supervisors on a daily. The culture is pretty laid back. Management is supportive and I've learned so much at LH in this short time that I don't know where to start.
Pros
Fee training
Cons
need consistent staff
Great people
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXApril 4, 2017
I worked with awesome people and had an amazing management team. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to interact with my usual customers and meeting friendly people daily.
Pros
Great management
Work Life Balance missed at this company
worked with youth (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 6, 2016
Job expectations and responsibilities easily exceed 40 hours a week (closer to 60). Client concerns are the focus at the expense of employee safety and concerns. Working with youth can be rewarding but be prepared to work excessive hours and go through a lot during those hours.
Pros
working with challenging youth
Cons
excessive hours/culture that does not value employee
Worst of the worst
Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 29, 2016
Worked here for six years. When I moved to management I found out how things really worked. THE HR VP is a liar and will tell your business to anyone who listens. DO NOT WORK HERE!
Pros
Cons
everything
Dequarian
cook (Former Employee) –  4833 N. Francisco Chicago ILJune 18, 2015
I really had a great time it was something that I really haven't did before and it helped me succeed and I like that program for that it helped me save money and put money in my pockets at the same time
Pros
cooking, learning, caring
Cons
dont have any
Everyday is a mystery
Mentor / Child Care worker (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 10, 2012
A typical day at work is working with at risk youth in their everyday life goals and lessons. There is a lot to learn because everyone is different and have different things going on with themselves. Management needs to work with co- workers. The hardest part of the job is getting the youth too see things the right way instead of the way they choose to go about things. The most enjoyable part of the job is watching youth become successful and make something out of life.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short staffed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lawrence Hall. Our community is ready to answer.

Lawrence Hall Reviews by Location