Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Employee Reviews

Productive and challenging
environmental analyst (Former Employee) –  Livermore Valley, CANovember 8, 2018
Afforded me with a chance for professional growth with some flexibilty to expand my knowledge base. The job also offered good benefits and matching contribution to my deferred retirement benefits and tiered pension plan.

A typical day at work started with a long commute for me and would be stressful if I had a early morning meeting. Otherwise, the job environment was good, with a nice workplace culture and growth opportunity. It challenged my intellect to achieve my professional goal.
Pros
Opportunity to learn
Cons
rigid regulatory framework
Great work/life balance at LLNL. Very interdisciplinary so that you have lots of opportunities to broaden your knowledge base and skills.
Materials Scientist (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAOctober 17, 2018
I was brought in as a post-doc and then transitioned to career-indefinite staff. I have really enjoyed working at LLNL. There are great opportunities to work across disciplines and on some of the biggest energy and security challenges that are facing our nation. There is a broad range of disciplines involved in Stockpile Stewardship, which gives you the opportunity to expand your scientific horizons and participate in safeguarding the nation in a variety of ways. The mission drives the culture here and it feels good to contribute to national security and not just pile up journal articles (though there is a lot of that too!).
Stress handled with humor, great place to work
Programmer (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAOctober 12, 2018
Management is open to opinions; the company is there for their employees. Nice work environment provided, very thoughtful about people physical and emotional well being.
Pros
Friendly, considerate people
Cons
Very heavy work load
A geat place to work for those with no work ethic.
Manufacturing Technician (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CASeptember 20, 2018
Huge amounts of waste. No repercussions by management for any actions. Want to come to work late, take long breaks, and leave early? This is the place for you. Absolutely out of touch with the real world. Equipment is from the 1950s. Nepotism and favoritism run rampant. Absolutely the worst place I have worked in 25 years.
Pros
Good pay and benefits.
Cons
Everything else.
fun place to work great vibe
Computation Intern (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAAugust 27, 2018
Diversity is a problem, if you can survive this is a great company, benefits are awesome, everyone is friendly and very helpful everyone is willing to help you get to the top
Pros
free lunch, lots of meeups
Cons
diversity
ENGINEERING TECH IV (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAAugust 15, 2018
Awesome people and great work place. Would go back if they kept up with cost of living. Managers were awesome. Loved to work there and wish I could go back.
Pros
Everything but salary
Cons
Salary
Great Place to Work
Academic Cooperation Participant, (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAAugust 14, 2018
People are friendly and collaborative. Very open to using their expertise to help you solve a problem and help advance your research. Would recommend.
Extremely Colllaborative
Computation Intern. High energy Density Physics (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAJuly 28, 2018
The environment at the lab is a real mix of government, industry, and academia feel. There can be a lot of hoops to jump through with government work. The people are incredibly nice, helpful, smart, and supportive of collaborative efforts.
Typical Federal Government Sub
Sr. Health and Safety Technologist (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJuly 16, 2018
The problem with LLNL is they don't know if they're a college campus a lab, a government sub or what. Very disorganized. No one care if work get done or not. Typical government place. I literally would go into a 13 hr shift with 5 other guys, and we would each work for about an 1 hr. Not because we were lazy but because there wasn't any other work to do. So we spend the tax payer dime surfing the internet and doing homework. If you like not getting raises, or advancing, and sitting on your butt not achieving anything at the end of the day, this place is for you.
Pros
Great medical benifits
Cons
no example, low pay, no job satisfaction
Intern (summers) (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJuly 16, 2018
I was lucky enough to intern at LLNL for 3 consecutive summers at it was so much fun! The pay is great and based on what year in school you are (if you are in school). Lots of security everywhere but not in a scary way. Everyone is super friendly.
Pros
High pay, Nice people, awesome place in general.
Highly recommend
NIF AND PHOTON SCIENCE INTERN (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMay 29, 2018
A very relaxed and friendly environment. The lab's core is all about collaborative and inter-departmental research. Puts a strong emphasis on career advancement and working on multiple projects.
Productive and family oriented type of atmosphere
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMay 26, 2018
A typical day at work consisted of organizing meetings, scheduling travel, answering phones, light typing as well as answering phones for the Division office. Greeting people that had questions for the Director was also one of the main things that happened hourly. We had several layers to management and it seemed to work well. The Lab offered a variety of activities throughout the year to help employees and their families as well as the community. We had concerts in the park, races for charity and award ceremonies are just a few things we did. The hardest part of my job was working through multiple stops on foreign travel. The most enjoyable part was working for a Director that was very caring and humorous, as well as easy to work for.
Good employer
Employee (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMay 24, 2018
Overall a good employer. Not much room for advancement unless you work in the sciences. Benefits were very good when I worked there, but I am not sure what they are today.
Great place to work with a good team environment
Senior IT Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMay 18, 2018
Upon arrival, check job tickets in my work queue, manage priorities and work through them to complete by priority and urgency.
I learned valuable customer service skills. I was Team Lead when regular Team Lead was away from work. The culture was fun and really helped me when I could not figure out a complex problem.
The hardest part is running into time critical hard to solve technical issues when these issues affected many customers. The most enjoyable part of my job was fixing a problem and allowing the customer to get on with their work. Also many opportunities for team driven off-site events.
Pros
Cafeteria and banking on-site
Cons
Learning the how to handle classified material
Serious science with excellent, collegial colleagues.
Data Science Intern (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMay 9, 2018
I was consistently impressed with the quality of the people at LLNL - everyone to a t was competent, personable, and cared about the mission. Would work there again in a split second.
Excellent place to work
Scholar Intern (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAApril 11, 2018
Good learning opportunity. You work with various teams to learn about different aspects of business.

Great team environment. Co-workers go out of their way to guide you
Home Campaign
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAApril 6, 2018
I was hired to help the Division Secretary put on the Home Campaign which is held once a year and employees donate to needy agencies and homeless shelters, etc. It is a huge party with a catered lunch and I was able to visit homeless shelters, soup kitchens out of the area and help serve food for that day. I was also responsible for making travel arrangements for scientists and manager's. Processing expense reports, helping to create Scientific Journal's with Power Point presentations, excel spreadsheets, etc.
Pros
Had an onsite aerobics class.
Cons
Far commute.
Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMarch 14, 2018
A typical day involved soldering PCB Butterworth filters and writing MATLAB scripts to test their frequency response. I learned how to create PCBs from laying the boards out on EAGLE to soldering the components on the board. The management was fantastic, they provided knowledge and resources for any project I was working on. The hardest part of my job was leaving. The most enjoyable part was making a great group of friends that shared similar interest in technology.
Pros
Family-type atmosphere
Cons
More one-on-one meetings with manager
multidisciplinary, great culture
SUMMER INTERN STUDENT (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMarch 7, 2018
The mentors makes their best to help their interns to understand the goals of the projects. At the end of the internship the student is better prepared to face a real-work environment.
Awesome
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAFebruary 15, 2018
THis was a phenominal place to work. I was intern and they offered every possible oppurtunity to succeed and make an impact. Highly Reccomended to anuone

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight