Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
81High

Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Employee Reviews

United States158 reviews
Very good company
Good company to work for. Management is great and they provide the workers with all the available resources for them to succeed. However, progression in your career is very slow.
Great people but bad politics.
Please do not hire international postdocs if you do not have any long term vision for them. Great people to work with but loads of internal politics leaving not much space for growth.
If you want job security and are mediocre, this is the place
Hands down the most toxic, political, and poorly-run place I have ever worked. There are a lot of brilliant people here. Most of them are miserable. Those who seem happy are the people who have no real talent, dreams or aspirations, but are good at taking directions.

Yes, I know that the place is rated a good place to work. Consider where those ratings come from. They do not come from new technical hires. They come either from support staff, or from senior technical staff, both of which have a good thing going. Totally different story if we're talking about choosing this place for early/mid-career at PhD level.
Pros
excellent benefits and job security
Cons
miserable toxic environment
Opportunities to learn and grow.
There is always an option to learn something new at LLNL. Good place to work. In the process of giving the environment and workforce a face lift to make it a more desirable place to work.
Reasonable place to work
There is a lot of freedom on the types of projects you can work on and you can secure your own funding. Salary and benefits are reasonable.

As a PhD-level scientist, most of my work is administrative and I only get about 4 hours per week to do actual science, so there is very limited job satisfaction for me.

They recently instituted a new micromanagement policy for timekeeping. They only give what the state of CA requires for paternity/maternity leave. Things move very slowly (think geological timescale). There is almost no room for advancement and it is almost impossible to gauge your performance.
Job seekers rely on your experience.
Good Environment
Being a new employee I am still getting settled in. The working environment seems to be very energetic and innovative. This company offers many benefits to employees and their families. I have met a lot of people who have worked her for 20-30 years, which says a lot about a company.
I experienced lots of opportunities for growth and was supported in adding to the mission of the Laboratory.
This was the best place I've ever worked. I was given direction, time, resources and autonomy all which conveyed a trust in my abilities. As a result I was highly motivated to grow and become an even greater asset to the organization. Lots of fascinating, cutting edge work done in an amazing environment.
Pros
The people and friendships that have and will last a lifetime.
Cons
Inability to telecommute.
People want to help you
The workers there always have their door open to help you with any work that falls under their specialty. Eveyone takes the time to improve your understanding so that the overall quality of research is aloways high.
Work-life Balance is a wonderful perk
Depending on the PAD, management priorities may not align with overall PAD needs, sue to inexperienced management within the PAD, but the lab overall, offers excellent work-life balance and benefits.
Former Manager of over 300 employees
I was the Department head of Procurement and then promoted to the
Supply Chain Manager, which had cognizance over both Warehouses, Travel Accounting, and Cost/Price, and Analysts, and Procurement Quality Assurance. A typical day at work included managing five division managers, who helped me manage my department; the final reviewer over all contracts over $1M, and handling and adjudicating numerous personnel issues. At my level I learned very little technically, and had to manage the workplace culture. The hardest part of the job was ensuring that adequate contracts were placed and managed appropriately. The most enjoyable part was working with employees, many times helping them find solutions to complex problems.
The sheer amout of ulta-smart people you work with.
Awesome place to work. Around highly positive people with rare intelligence. Very safety oriented approach to tasking and always willing to listen for improvements.
Good Experience and challenging timeline
Good Experience and challenging timeline. People.are great to work with!
Great IT department and security is integral to everything you need to think about and work around and with.
Old fashioned
This is an old fashioned company as evidenced by the people who have been here for 30 to 40 years. There is no innovation in my department. Also there is no collaboration either.
Great time off and benefits
Good vacation and benefits especially for veterans. They have a great veterans association here and provide more time off for reservist than most companies.
The lab is great !
The lab is great.
Great people and a good mission. You have a sense of pride.

We work hard and we have fun.

I left due to the high cost of living which made it hard to get a jump start in Livermore area.

I'll be glad when they get over the 1980's though, there is a lot young talent that want change.
Incredible experience
I worked at LLNL for two summer internships and was hired after completing college. I enjoyed working at LLNL and gained incredible professional work experience and invaluable growth opportunities.
Excellent Place to Work
A science and research Laboratory that allows growth, development and is involved with the most significant research on a daily basis. You experience a growth that is offered in no other industry.
Pros
Great Healthcare, flex work schedule
Cons
Take some time to gain security clearance
Good Place to Learn
This job was a great place to learn the ins and outs of engineering. A lot of responsibility. You learn from the best and learn the proper way of engineering.
we all got along knowing it was HOT [DRY Heat tho'].
dude, it can be HOT! but it is acknowolged [sp]. We started early, to avoid the heat of the day. Took our break/lunch in the shade. Brought lots of warwe.
Unsafe work culture due to hiring of unqualified people, poor compensation.
Not a great place to work if you are in the skilled trades. There is a total imbalance between the crafts, some are paid at market rate while some are greatly under paid. Which the lab makes up for by hiring very unqualified people to fill spots. That might be alright in a paint shop or landscaping. But not High Voltage or other dangerous fields. there is clear disdain for bargaining unit employees by management and staff relations. Real safety concerns are not always dealt with properly because it points out fault on managements side.
Pros
Decent commute from where I live.
Cons
Watching the amout of money wasted daily on stuff, while hard working union employees are under paid, under valued is enough to drive you bonkers.
Integrative
High employee involvement with activities, exercise groups, gym, volleyball etc. Everyone that works there seems to love it. It was reviewed as number nine i think on the top places to work
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2
4.3
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.2Personal Development
3.3Career Opportunities
3.4Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight