Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
Academic Cooperation Participant, (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAAugust 14, 2018
People are friendly and collaborative. Very open to using their expertise to help you solve a problem and help advance your research. Would recommend.
Extremely Colllaborative
Computation Intern. High energy Density Physics (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAJuly 28, 2018
The environment at the lab is a real mix of government, industry, and academia feel. There can be a lot of hoops to jump through with government work. The people are incredibly nice, helpful, smart, and supportive of collaborative efforts.
Typical Federal Government Sub
Sr. Health and Safety Technologist (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJuly 16, 2018
The problem with LLNL is they don't know if they're a college campus a lab, a government sub or what. Very disorganized. No one care if work get done or not. Typical government place. I literally would go into a 13 hr shift with 5 other guys, and we would each work for about an 1 hr. Not because we were lazy but because there wasn't any other work to do. So we spend the tax payer dime surfing the internet and doing homework. If you like not getting raises, or advancing, and sitting on your butt not achieving anything at the end of the day, this place is for you.
Pros
Great medical benifits
Cons
no example, low pay, no job satisfaction
Intern (summers) (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJuly 16, 2018
I was lucky enough to intern at LLNL for 3 consecutive summers at it was so much fun! The pay is great and based on what year in school you are (if you are in school). Lots of security everywhere but not in a scary way. Everyone is super friendly.
Pros
High pay, Nice people, awesome place in general.
Highly recommend
NIF AND PHOTON SCIENCE INTERN (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMay 29, 2018
A very relaxed and friendly environment. The lab's core is all about collaborative and inter-departmental research. Puts a strong emphasis on career advancement and working on multiple projects.
Productive and family oriented type of atmosphere
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMay 26, 2018
A typical day at work consisted of organizing meetings, scheduling travel, answering phones, light typing as well as answering phones for the Division office. Greeting people that had questions for the Director was also one of the main things that happened hourly. We had several layers to management and it seemed to work well. The Lab offered a variety of activities throughout the year to help employees and their families as well as the community. We had concerts in the park, races for charity and award ceremonies are just a few things we did. The hardest part of my job was working through multiple stops on foreign travel. The most enjoyable part was working for a Director that was very caring and humorous, as well as easy to work for.
Good employer
Employee (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMay 24, 2018
Overall a good employer. Not much room for advancement unless you work in the sciences. Benefits were very good when I worked there, but I am not sure what they are today.
Great place to work with a good team environment
Senior IT Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMay 18, 2018
Upon arrival, check job tickets in my work queue, manage priorities and work through them to complete by priority and urgency.
I learned valuable customer service skills. I was Team Lead when regular Team Lead was away from work. The culture was fun and really helped me when I could not figure out a complex problem.
The hardest part is running into time critical hard to solve technical issues when these issues affected many customers. The most enjoyable part of my job was fixing a problem and allowing the customer to get on with their work. Also many opportunities for team driven off-site events.
Pros
Cafeteria and banking on-site
Cons
Learning the how to handle classified material
Serious science with excellent, collegial colleagues.
Data Science Intern (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMay 9, 2018
I was consistently impressed with the quality of the people at LLNL - everyone to a t was competent, personable, and cared about the mission. Would work there again in a split second.
Excellent place to work
Scholar Intern (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAApril 11, 2018
Good learning opportunity. You work with various teams to learn about different aspects of business.

Great team environment. Co-workers go out of their way to guide you
Home Campaign
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAApril 6, 2018
I was hired to help the Division Secretary put on the Home Campaign which is held once a year and employees donate to needy agencies and homeless shelters, etc. It is a huge party with a catered lunch and I was able to visit homeless shelters, soup kitchens out of the area and help serve food for that day. I was also responsible for making travel arrangements for scientists and manager's. Processing expense reports, helping to create Scientific Journal's with Power Point presentations, excel spreadsheets, etc.
Pros
Had an onsite aerobics class.
Cons
Far commute.
Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMarch 14, 2018
A typical day involved soldering PCB Butterworth filters and writing MATLAB scripts to test their frequency response. I learned how to create PCBs from laying the boards out on EAGLE to soldering the components on the board. The management was fantastic, they provided knowledge and resources for any project I was working on. The hardest part of my job was leaving. The most enjoyable part was making a great group of friends that shared similar interest in technology.
Pros
Family-type atmosphere
Cons
More one-on-one meetings with manager
multidisciplinary, great culture
SUMMER INTERN STUDENT (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMarch 7, 2018
The mentors makes their best to help their interns to understand the goals of the projects. At the end of the internship the student is better prepared to face a real-work environment.
Awesome
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAFebruary 15, 2018
THis was a phenominal place to work. I was intern and they offered every possible oppurtunity to succeed and make an impact. Highly Reccomended to anuone
Great
Contract Analyst (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAFebruary 5, 2018
Very flexible around School, wonderful facility, passionate mission and interesting staff. The environment feels almost like a university, and it is very welcoming. Work life balance is the biggest advantage
The place is not for everyone
Senior Cryogenics Technician (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJanuary 31, 2018
The place is not for everyone,
Yes, it takes talent, skills and endurance to be there.

My observation is based (compared to) on other working environments. This is totally different to the one I am used to.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
not a permanet job
Excellent benefits, excellent salary, very difficult to advance and prone to examples of nepitism
Cryogenic systems engineering technition (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJanuary 22, 2018
Working at LLNL is very rewarding. However there is an element of difficulty when trying to maintain a health work life balance. While the personnel are mostly helpful, professional and supportive, that does not always follow into the management level. there is a clear degree of class conscience that separates the management from the work force. They can be indifferent to family and personal life needs, especially when considering the scheduling.
Pros
salary, paid time off, training program, benefits
Cons
stressful work environment, high pressure to perform, very narrow margin of error
INTERN (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAOctober 19, 2017
The work is meaningful, people are friendly, and compensation is great. Overall, I would recommend this place for everyone. There are many ways to branch out and learn new things.
Scientific Technician (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAOctober 19, 2017
Excellent working place to work with lots of challenging opportunities.

Work hours Monday to Friday and weekends off and federal holidays.

Great people to work with very professional,
One of the best places to work in California
Manager of Tech Transfer (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAOctober 16, 2017
The management of LLNL has changed now to private sector
companies along with the Un of Calif System. From what everyone tells me that is fine and things are moving along as before. Which is Great !!!!!
The 8300 + people there were great on all levels.
Lots of time working but also leading other lives, like music, plays and even acting.
Incredible great experience.
Pros
Relaxed atmoshere with lots of meetings and science going on
Cons
Had a Q clearance so hard to hold meetings there that involved outsiders

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.0Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight