Lawson Products Employee Reviews

Outsidesales Representative (Former Employee) –  MCKINNEY TXJuly 11, 2018
Working for lawson was fun. Every day was different. Selling to your friends was the best feeling. Working from home was nice. You get out of working there what you put into it.
ok job
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Riverside, COJuly 9, 2018
Tons of cold calling but a good amount of freedom from the company with little micromanaging. Having a good territory to start well help a great deal.
Pros
Cons
Low salary
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXJune 20, 2018
Enjoyed working with others especially my mentor. Fantastic group. Would recommend if your looking for a face past environment to work in. Awesome atomsphere.
This has been a great place to work at
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 12, 2018
I love being able to work from home and make my own schedule. even though I travel every day but I am home every night. I love getting to meet new people and help them grow their business. i hardly ever seem my boss which is nice because I get to work on my own with no supervision.
Pros
independent work
Cons
lots of traveling
high pressure sales
Area Representative for Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 20, 2018
really high pressure to sell, demonstrate their very high prices items. no help from management even though they say they train. manager rarely available and never once got a positive comment. Even after bringing on 3 very large accounts.
Pros
Cons
everything
Good fit for my background and personal profile
Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDApril 11, 2018
A typical day began around 7:30 am with my first customer appointment around 8:00. I serviced all existing commercial, industrial and institutional accounts with regard to their MRO needs. I particularly enjoyed the interaction with the end line users and the flexibility I enjoyed to schedule my own work day.
Pros
Great company, great products, great management
Cons
Limited opportunity for upward mobility
low pay but great company
Territory Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 23, 2018
This is a great company to join if you're looking for stability and company reputation. However as a new sales rep its extremely tough to earn a living based on their commission structure and salary. The benefits offered are also below average. This company immediately lowered the base salary right after I joined them, also lowered the commissions and bonuses. I read they do this often. Management is great in the training department which is good because there's years of studying products ahead of you. This is a quota based sales job so if your numbers are off just a little bit, even if you're new, you will be hearing from management as month's end nears. As a new sales rep I was given a territory that was picked clean years before so it was extremely difficult to open any new accounts, any quality buyer was already assigned a rep from another territory so I was left to struggle on my own, the rejection was very disheartening not to mention frustrating.
Pros
work life and off on the weekends
Cons
pay
Lawson
Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 20, 2018
There is not a lot to say. It is a very hard business. They really need to change their pay plan. The micro management has to change and all the paper work that they have you do needs to be cut in half.
Pros
work when you want to but had to make your numbers
Cons
Micro management
Company in state of change
Vice President, Supply Management (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILMarch 20, 2018
Company was in the phase of going from family owned to launching an IPO. Good strategy but not ready for the demands of an IPO. It was turmoil between legacy employees and new people brought in to focus on IPO
Used to be awesome place to work
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 22, 2018
All training goes into the manager and the company expects the manager to come out and train the field. They started this a few years ago when they took selling managers out. Problem is manager does not come out and train the field.

Management Heavy Company
Pros
set your own schedule
Cons
no support from company

Want to know more about Lawson Products?

Ask a question
You've got to be driven to succeed
Territory Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsFebruary 20, 2018
This is a great company to work for and they provide a lot of tools to help you succeed but the bottom line is if you don't consistently open new accounts the competition will eat away at your business.
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
No paid vacation, straight commission.
a day at lawson
Hand (Former Employee) –  Rosemont, ILFebruary 1, 2018
A day at lawson was sometimes very stressful and some of the supervior was so mean to the people that works there especially the temps that wasn't cool at all
Pros
nice food
Cons
bad management
Great place to work for .
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 25, 2018
Great place to work for except while building your greenfield route you have a depleting salary ,that stresses you while in the building of a route..Also very competitive work as a MRO product provider ,with so many companies out there selling the same products its diffucult to focus on the service side of things but still giving the best prices and still trying to earn a living..
Pros
Home base Office
Cons
Feel like your on your own alot of the time since the salesreps are spread out
poor management
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Suwanee, GAJanuary 25, 2018
I don't like giving bad reviews, but i have to for this place. management was horrible beyond belief. There was a lot of targeting going on there when i was there and still continuing today, resulting in a lot of favoritism. Pay was unfair. People did not get paid based off skills.
Snake oil sales
Account Executive - Midwest Region (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJanuary 23, 2018
The company has a great amount of structure, support, and training in place, but middle management doesn't follow it. Smoke and mirrors. The pay is the worst in the industry even though during the hiring process they talk about how great it it is. They pay next to nothing for car, phone and internet for home office. Training is mostly done on your own. I my own personal case management is very untrustworthy. I have meet some from other areas so I feel it is an isolated issue. Great job for someone who wants to get in to B2B sales and has no experience at all. Everyone else, I would look elsewhere.
Pros
A lot of freedom
Cons
your on your own
Good work environment.
Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  MississippiJanuary 23, 2018
I enjoy the work environment. District level executives are easy to work for. They aren't constantly looking over your shoulder as long as you are meeting goals.
Pros
Schedule freedom, Employers and coworkers
Cons
Money
Great Company to work for
Outbound Supervisor (Former Employee) –  McCook, ILJanuary 17, 2018
Worked for Lawson Products for about ten years. If you are an eager over achiever they will help you advance in your career and I am forever greatfull for that
Pros
Great pay and benifits
Cons
Work life balance
Company had executive leadership trouble
PMO Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILJanuary 11, 2018
IT Department was fun to work for, but the executive leadership in other areas of the company were openly hostile or lacking. This family-owned company was eventually investigated by the Feds.
Very little change
Outside Sales (Current Employee) –  Union City, INJanuary 11, 2018
Like all the big MRO companies there is very little change with the accounts. People who have been at the companies that stay along time sooner or later inherit a big account and then they don't want to hunt anymore. I feel I got past up a couple of time on some bigger accounts that would have made alot of difference in income.
job was easy
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAJanuary 2, 2018
Meeting, then multiple task throughout the day. Picking, packing, replenishment, shipping, receiving, forklift operator, maintaining a clean work environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lawson Products. Our community is ready to answer.