Lawson Products Employee Reviews

Great team enviroment
Director (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILApril 15, 2019
Going to work was like working with friend/family. Everyone supported each other and helped obtain the corporate goals. Great environment to work in.
Fun place to work
Web Customer Care Rep (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 14, 2019
Helping navigate customer nad outside sales rep through company website.

How to fix certain issue on the website.

Mangement was approachable and receptive to issues.

Culture was friendly.

Customer complaints.

Enjoyed my co-workers.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Good company where if you work hard you can make alot of money
Sales Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 4, 2019
typical day: Day starts at 7 AM prepare your car with supplies
Check prepared daily schedule
Drive 50- 100 miles day to see aprox. 10 customers and secure order.
Call prospective customers for appointment during the day.
Get referrals from existing accounts.
Return home and spend 2-3 hours placing orders on the computer.
Read and return e-mails
Check required company programs that need to be followed.
Attend Webinars provided by the company
Conference calls monthly.
Special required training programs needed to protect Lawson from attacks by outside agencies.
Pros
discounted products offered by the company
Cons
If you have cons its because you were not paying attention at your initial hiring event
Pretty good company
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 11, 2019
Usually, once you're in, you're in. There is room for growth as long as you're not in the Accounting or Finance area. Great benefits..good people. No more no less.
Pros
Profit sharing!, Tuition Reimbursement
Cons
Not much room for advancement
Productive place to work
Box maker / truck packer (Current Employee) –  McCook, ILFebruary 16, 2019
Lawson products is a fast paced work environment. It is very productive and most of the people there are friendly. I stay to myself do my job try to enjoy my day and go home.
Pros
No uniforms required
large communication gap between corp and sales
Outside Sales (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 25, 2019
There is 0 understanding from the inside staff as to what the sales reps do and how it works in the field.

Every year I sell more and make less.

There is not much for help when it is needed. Goals are unrealistic and expected large growth every year with commissions being cut in 1/2 since 2015.
Office atmosphere was very nice!
FIRST TEMPORARY (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 16, 2019
Worked in a customer service call center creating new accounts and placing orders. My colleagues were very nice. Required phone skills and data entry skills. One downside was they were not very accommodating to my hearing disability.
Many opportunities available
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Wasilla, AKDecember 28, 2018
At Lawson Products the ideal sales rep will build a territory and manage on a weekly or biweekly schedule. This is the closest thing to owning your own business without having to keep onhand stock that I have encountered.
If a person is truly interested in having a career with Lawson, they will need to approach this business as not only a means to an end, but a lifestyle choice.
I learned very quickly that my income was based completely on my own activities and that if I chose to take a day off, I could count on a dip in my income.
Lawson products has always been known as a premier supplier of MRO products but, in recent years has had to source many products globally to stay competitive.
The hardest part of working for Lawson is being able to be competitive and provide top quality products. Competition is fierce and I have discovered that the buying climate has changed from buying quality products from the sales rep that visited most often, to finding the cheapest option available.
The most enjoyable part has been with repeat sales you develop a friendship with nearly everyone you sell to.
Cons
Globally sourcing products has had an adverse effect on the quality of products available.
Learning Experience
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 11, 2018
Lawson once was a great company to work for. Always felt they had your best interest at heart. Then suddenly, all you ever heard about was management changes, constantly changing pay structure, and you always felt uncertain about what would happen next.
Pros
Make your own schedule, a lot of feedom.
Cons
Not very lucrative. I don't mind change but enough is enough.
Get up make your plan, then work your plan and write orders
SALES AGENT - STRAIGHT COMMISSION (Former Employee) –  Westfield, MADecember 7, 2018
Straight Commission, so you must work. But you control what you make.. They have many programs to assist their employees. Lots of mentoring programs to help people be successful.
Starter gig
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 8, 2018
I would recommend this company to anyone looking to get a little sales experience. Few can survive the "take away your pay over time" salary/commission program.
A lot of work for poor compensation
Field Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  OhioOctober 10, 2018
Mileage reimbursement advertised is misleading. It barely covers your gas for a month let alone repairs from wear and tear on your vehicle. You have to use your own phone, they pay you a few bucks per month for that. After the initial allowance they give you when you first hire on for sample product to demonstrate, you have to pay out of pocket if you want more sample product. You have a small yearly allotment for literature that they give you but after that you pay for your own literature if you need more. If you want brand builder Lawson logo give away items for customers, you have to pay for them out of pocket. They don't give you logo items to give as gifts for your customers. Salary is not very good and dwindles after a couple years to a low yearly amount with a commission structure percentage that is low. I started out as a greenfield rep with "0" accounts. They did not give me any seed business at all. They expect you push multiple product demo's on cold calls. Almost like snake oil sales. Products are often expensive and not very competitive on price. Good products for the most part, but often not very price competitive. Received very few leads, and half of the ones I did receive were out of business accounts that used to buy a couple things here and there. Sales model is archaic and cumbersome. Poor support for field reps. If special pricing for a non stock item is needed it can take a week or longer and cost you sales. There is a tendency to micro manage, lots of criticism, very few compliments. The customer service people and others at the corporate office seem very  more... nice. The total sales support structure and business model is in need of revamping and updating. It is not very innovative or customer friendly. If you work in the corporate office or any position other than a sales rep I would guess it is a good place to work. new sales reps who are not familiar with the industry or products starting with "0" established accounts may find it a challenge. There are no expense allowances for taking customers to lunch or other customer oriented expenses to help stimulate business. Customer entertainment is all out of pocket.  less
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Poor compensation, many out of pocket expenses, poor mileage reimbursement, poor rep support, product pricing is often not competitive
Provided opportunity to run P&Ls
Manager (Former Employee) –  OhioOctober 1, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Lawson Products. I was given the opportunity to run a P&L for their Inside Sales group and it challenged me to stretch my skills and learn new things.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Company had some legal issues
Decent company to work for
OUTSIDE SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 1, 2018
Unrealistic goals. Freedom to create your schedule and sales ideas. Suggested guidelines to follow and stem off of. Management is helpful and technical support is always there.
Productive place to work with great mentors.
Administrative Safety Coordinator, Trainer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 19, 2018
Handled Safet programs and trained employees. Independently implemented Safety Database. Mentoring environment with happy people. Hardest thing is the position was eliminated due to moves.
Pros
Mentoring was awesome.
Cons
Company moved and positions were eliminated.
general warehouse
Receiving/Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaAugust 28, 2018
As a shipping clerk, you'll be responsible for monitoring the merchandise leaving a company's warehouse. This could include creating shipping documents, such as invoices and purchase orders, and pulling inventory from the shelves. ... You also perform inventory control and track a shipment's delivery status.
Operations (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, NJAugust 27, 2018
Before the location closed, the facility exhibited best practices in action. Management was fair, production standards were fair, and overall a really good place to work..
National company with large presence across the US
Tampa Bay Area Territory Representative (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 22, 2018
Ability to cover a large sales territory and seek out new clients for Lawson. Nice workplace culture with great employee benefits. Must be very self-disciplined.
Good Company.
Sales Agent/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYAugust 9, 2018
The job is over the road sales. Good company to work for. Newer programs for new agents are great. Mostly cold calls for new accounts. Ounce an account is opened, repeat calls are on a as needed bases. A very large line of quality products to sell. Not the job for every body. Need to be out going and creative.
Pros
Good Company. Benifits for over the road sale are good, not great.can make decent money if you are creative
Cons
Not the job for every body. No phone, car, or computer, but are compensated for them.
Outsidesales Representative (Former Employee) –  MCKINNEY TXJuly 11, 2018
Working for lawson was fun. Every day was different. Selling to your friends was the best feeling. Working from home was nice. You get out of working there what you put into it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lawson Products. Our community is ready to answer.