Lawson Products Culture reviews

Fun place to work
Web Customer Care Rep (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHApril 14, 2019
Helping navigate customer nad outside sales rep through company website.

How to fix certain issue on the website.

Mangement was approachable and receptive to issues.

Culture was friendly.

Customer complaints.

Enjoyed my co-workers.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Many opportunities available
District Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Wasilla, AKDecember 28, 2018
At Lawson Products the ideal sales rep will build a territory and manage on a weekly or biweekly schedule. This is the closest thing to owning your own business without having to keep onhand stock that I have encountered.
If a person is truly interested in having a career with Lawson, they will need to approach this business as not only a means to an end, but a lifestyle choice.
I learned very quickly that my income was based completely on my own activities and that if I chose to take a day off, I could count on a dip in my income.
Lawson products has always been known as a premier supplier of MRO products but, in recent years has had to source many products globally to stay competitive.
The hardest part of working for Lawson is being able to be competitive and provide top quality products. Competition is fierce and I have discovered that the buying climate has changed from buying quality products from the sales rep that visited most often, to finding the cheapest option available.
The most enjoyable part has been with repeat sales you develop a friendship with nearly everyone you sell to.
Cons
Globally sourcing products has had an adverse effect on the quality of products available.
A lot of work for poor compensation
Field Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  OhioOctober 10, 2018
Mileage reimbursement advertised is misleading. It barely covers your gas for a month let alone repairs from wear and tear on your vehicle. You have to use your own phone, they pay you a few bucks per month for that. After the initial allowance they give you when you first hire on for sample product to demonstrate, you have to pay out of pocket if you want more sample product. You have a small yearly allotment for literature that they give you but after that you pay for your own literature if you need more. If you want brand builder Lawson logo give away items for customers, you have to pay for them out of pocket. They don't give you logo items to give as gifts for your customers. Salary is not very good and dwindles after a couple years to a low yearly amount with a commission structure percentage that is low. I started out as a greenfield rep with "0" accounts. They did not give me any seed business at all. They expect you push multiple product demo's on cold calls. Almost like snake oil sales. Products are often expensive and not very competitive on price. Good products for the most part, but often not very price competitive. Received very few leads, and half of the ones I did receive were out of business accounts that used to buy a couple things here and there. Sales model is archaic and cumbersome. Poor support for field reps. If special pricing for a non stock item is needed it can take a week or longer and cost you sales. There is a tendency to micro manage, lots of criticism, very few compliments. The customer service people and others at the corporate office seem very  more... nice. The total sales support structure and business model is in need of revamping and updating. It is not very innovative or customer friendly. If you work in the corporate office or any position other than a sales rep I would guess it is a good place to work. new sales reps who are not familiar with the industry or products starting with "0" established accounts may find it a challenge. There are no expense allowances for taking customers to lunch or other customer oriented expenses to help stimulate business. Customer entertainment is all out of pocket.  less
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Poor compensation, many out of pocket expenses, poor mileage reimbursement, poor rep support, product pricing is often not competitive
Decent company to work for
OUTSIDE SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 1, 2018
Unrealistic goals. Freedom to create your schedule and sales ideas. Suggested guidelines to follow and stem off of. Management is helpful and technical support is always there.
National company with large presence across the US
Tampa Bay Area Territory Representative (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 22, 2018
Ability to cover a large sales territory and seek out new clients for Lawson. Nice workplace culture with great employee benefits. Must be very self-disciplined.
Outsidesales Representative (Former Employee) –  MCKINNEY TXJuly 11, 2018
Working for lawson was fun. Every day was different. Selling to your friends was the best feeling. Working from home was nice. You get out of working there what you put into it.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXJune 20, 2018
Enjoyed working with others especially my mentor. Fantastic group. Would recommend if your looking for a face past environment to work in. Awesome atomsphere.
This has been a great place to work at
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Tallahassee, FLJune 12, 2018
I love being able to work from home and make my own schedule. even though I travel every day but I am home every night. I love getting to meet new people and help them grow their business. i hardly ever seem my boss which is nice because I get to work on my own with no supervision.
Pros
independent work
Cons
lots of traveling
Great place to work for .
Outside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 25, 2018
Great place to work for except while building your greenfield route you have a depleting salary ,that stresses you while in the building of a route..Also very competitive work as a MRO product provider ,with so many companies out there selling the same products its diffucult to focus on the service side of things but still giving the best prices and still trying to earn a living..
Pros
Home base Office
Cons
Feel like your on your own alot of the time since the salesreps are spread out
it was a good place to work for .
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILJuly 16, 2017
I worked in the Customer Service Dept. Took care of incoming calls from our customers as well as incoming calls from sales agents with new orders which I entered into the computer.
The culture of the place was relaxed and all got along very well.
Hardest part of the job was doing inventory every JANUARY.
Pros
Nice place to work for very friendly.
Cons
Inventory in January
Compensation Packages are Sub Par
Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 5, 2017
The compensation package that is offered is very Sub Par to what is offered by other Employers. No Mileage reimbursement, No base Salary, and low commission for their higher than market value prices compared to competitors. This company is not price competitive in a very competitive market with customers having many different options.
Pros
Cons
Poor Management, High Prices, Poor Compensation
Small company
Database Marketing - Sr. Data Analyst (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILMay 31, 2017
The analytical department was spread among multiple departments so there was a lot of duplication and west of resources. I mostly worked utilizing Microsoft Office products for analytical purposes and Developer Studio for reporting purposes. There was a lot of friction between IT department and business, which slowed down the process of obtaining the data and access to systems. Report automation was managed by IT department that slowed down the process of developing the reports to the main user even more. My manager was changing at least once a year that caused very low job security.
Cons
A lot of politics between the departments
Team focused environment dedicated to growing top line sales
Senior Vice President - Sales and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 6, 2017
Lawson Products, Inc. is a solid mid-market distributor of industrial products with a tenured sales organization and dedicated management team.

Lawson is focused on enhancing their value proposition to their customers and seeks sales people with an entrepreneurial mindset.
Pros
Collaborative Culture
Cons
limited support resources
great company
Senior Sales Trainer (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILMarch 1, 2017
Great family atmosphere and great company overall. Enjoyed my time working for Lawson and company has great strategies for growth.
Nice people to work with
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Lexington, KYDecember 6, 2016
Very nice people to work with. Not happy about the pricing of the products. Made it hard to be competitive.Called on accounts and sold Maintenance supplies. Worked with myself mostly. I would occasionally work with someone. Enjoyed the freedom and servicing customers.Did not enjoy not being able to be competitive.
excellent place to work
Inside Sales Associate/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Independence, OHJune 24, 2016
My day was always different. Always trying to create new customers and take what you know and turn it into an income. The staff was always there to help and make you successful. The customers were the best part of the job. Getting to know them and their families made my day more enjoyable.
Pros
Monday - Friday 8-4:30
Cons
long drive to work
Great place to work for and very corporate culture
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILDecember 3, 2015
I enjoyed coming to work and supporting the management team to accomplish the task at hand. Employees were great and made work enjoyable.
Pros
Free lunches and coffee
Cons
No bonus at the end of the year
Awful place to work for polished professionals
Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  FloridaNovember 20, 2014
Lawson is hiring greenfield reps that know nothing about MRO products. The only training you receive is held in Chicago focusing on the Top eight products, this is what you are to use to create an account base. Turns out these sales are transactional no repeat business. As I understand it the previous structure was a 1099 position. The agents sold LP as a side job. Building a territory from scratch is almost impossible no guidance . Pricing is not competitive, dealing with the government is non existent because government Director is impossible to work with always treating sales agents as though beneath her. Contracts for government and GSA margins are so low it is impossible to make any money. Yet you are expected to provide full service VMI even though you make less than a 1.00 in commissions. Your gas your time and wear and tear on your vehicle without any compensation . emails from the government Dept. are condescending and rude. And this is being nice about this Dept.
BDM group does not have a plan to bring on new business and will take credit for any account you open. Regardless if they were involved or not they get commissions for 6 months and so do you. They double dip the company in the most dishonest way and are allowed to do so. When brought to upper management it's as though it goes unheard. I imagine the company is paying 1000's of undeserved monies to this portion of the business sector. Most of their activity comes from Sales reps opening accounts and the BDM simply takes credit for it through the ability to view reps activity.
Strategic Account
  more... Executives are the bread and butter for this company. They actually do seek out find and close major deals National Account rollout s are very secretive if you get any information at all. You may not contact the SAE directly, but you do get a price file through the AOS system. The pay structure is that of one that does not give you enough time to develop a relationship and thoroughly understand the company you are pursuing. It is impossible to develop a trusting relationship to move from current vendor to LP. The engineering dept. is made up of people that simply look in the catalog and if an item is not there they send you to specials. This is not a Dept. you can call experts In fact they will do anything possible to NOT help you as an agent. The company would like to move in a direction of a unified Salesforce, but still treat agents as though they are 1099. Making the agent responsible for every thing from Catalogs to customer giveaways Lawson Branded items. You have to buy your literature your clothing and anything to make you successful. This company will be bought out if this path continues the only Sales Reps they have are veterans that still have their book of business not leaving much room for growth They work you. This company will work you until your bones hurt from ordering bins putting them together and they would prefer you buy and make your labels from your home. This way the company is not responsible for the cost. I would not recommend this company to anyone it is a very tight company and in my opinion does not have the Sales Agents best interest.  less
Pros
Insurance
Cons
no car allowance expenses have to pay for company branded give aways
SD Functional Consultant - Contactor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, IllinoisNovember 11, 2014
Trouble-shooting, new design and configuration of the SD (Order-to-Cash) module
different management now
Director, Product Marketing and Management (Former Employee) –  Des Plaines, ILSeptember 16, 2014
there is different management now than when i was there so i do not know how accurate typical work day is vs. when i worked there

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lawson Products. Our community is ready to answer.