Leander Independent School District
Happiness rating is 75 out of 100

Leander Independent School District Employee Reviews

Leander Independent School District insights

What people like
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
  • Clear sense of purpose
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job

I would go back ..

Loved Leander ISD... It is very mission focused and it is well engaged with employees and students. I would definitely recommend. This district is growing fast...

Educators Take a Back Seat

It's not a bad district, but know that upper management will rarely back the teacher when any issues arise with families. Their number one concern is keeping parents happy. There is pressure to pass students and teachers bare the brunt of any legislative initiatives in education without much planning or support. More and more planning/grading time is taken away each year, and pay is stagnant as is the case in education as a whole.The people you work with are fantastic. There are great educators and supportive mentors. If you are the type that can ignore all of the issues of the system at large then you will be fine.

Pros

Holidays guaranteed off

Cons

Health insurance is terrible, Management

Fair and true to the saying: Family 1st

As an educator I felt they cared about how you felt about things. They listen to the heart of education, the educators. The leaders listen and take meetings with each team level and ask them what worked and what didn't work that school year. They do not micromanage educators, we are a part of the decision making process. I loved working for LISD and very proud to have been a part of the district.

Pros

Fair

Cons

Large schools

Asks too much, gives little in return.

Force all teachers to take a training called “The Leander Way,” literally indoctrinating you into believing they’re the absolute best district in the country. Will run teachers off for little to no reason. Not supportive after using provided FMLA leave.

Not a bad place to work

I’m retired so it works for my situation. I can schedule appointments and take care of business between routes. Off holidays and weekends. Pay isn’t to bad. I average 30 hours a week. Not a bad job if your retired.

Pros

Time off is good. Pay isn’t bad.

Cons

More hours would help out some.

Job seekers rely on your experience.

It was okay

A lot of concern for parent and community happiness with employee wellbeing last in line. It was okay for when I was there. Very glad to move on and up somewhere else - you definitely have to know the right people and be in the right places to get ahead/on committees. If you’re left out of a meeting, though the apologies conveyed feel genuine, it’s deliberate… because it’ll keep happening… at both the campus and admin level.

Pros

Great kids who advocate for themselves

Cons

Difficult to be heard and believed as an employee/parent

Typical

This is a typical teaching job. There are stresses and there are benefits. Co-teachers are typically qualified and collaborative. Leadership varies by campus.

Flexible - Substitute Teacher

Working for LISD as a substitute was a good experience. I met many people and enjoyed working with the children. The flexibility was great as a mother and being able to work at my child's school.

Pros

Flexibilty

Cons

Pay

Big sense of community, pay desirable

As a sub the pay is dismal - particularly as a long-term sub. You're expected to perform a full-time teacher's job and get paid half their daily rate. However, the comradery between teachers is insane and the campuses are very welcoming.

Pros

Great community, fun workplace

Cons

Pay

Challenging but rewarding

Depending on the school you are at will depend on how much support you have. It's a good district but because it's growing so fast there are changes all the time. Just embrace the changes and focus on what your purpose is....to be the best educator you can be.

Kids are Great, Schools Well-Built, Teacher/Admin Politics Too Much

I worked for LISD for 5 years and loved the opportunity to teach all of my students. The schools, themselves, are well-built, designed and well-maintained. The district is large, provides training, and technology. My experience with fellow teachers and admins was horrible. The teachers would group together, talk about each other, complain, and talk negatively about students and parents, as well. My administrators acted supportive, but, they really were not at all; and shared personal information that I did not want in public. Also, a huge issue is that the teacher and admin population does NOT mirror the student population. All children need to see themselves in adults of leadership. Leander needs to seek, attract and diversify its staff.

Pros

Working with students, seeing them learn, grow & problem-solve.

Cons

Superiors not supportive, Teacher cattiness, and inappropriate talk

Flex Schedule

Job allows flexible schedule. You can make what you want of almost any given day. You do need to cancel 48 hours prior to a shift to be okay. The pay is about enough to pay bills. Stress level while working is almost nonexistent

Pros

Flex schedule, very low stress job

Cons

Pay is okay, no benefits

Cares about the students

Leander is dictated to their students. Their mission strives to bring the best education to their students, even in this difficult time with Covid-19.

Pros

Free lunches, technology programs for all students including Special Education.

Cons

It’s hard to get a raise once you have been employed. Get the money up front.

Great hours but not so good pay-wise

The working hours as a cafeteria lunch lady follow school hours. Work is repetitive and does get a bit boring after a while. The pay is low compared to other foodservice companies.

Convenient hours

Loved the people I worked with, the company not so much. They could be a little more concerned about employees other than just the teachers, we all interact with the students.

Pros

Convenient hours

Cons

No overtime

Don't Recommend

Aside from a few good friendships made here, working at LISD was not a great experience. The HR department is not reliable, and a little shady with how they tell other departments how they can operate, and then break the rules themselves. The culture at the district tends to favor and protect bad employees - people who are derogatory and rude feel emboldened because they know HR won't do anything about them. Projects at LISD are a joke- so much feet dragging and finger pointing and no innovation or sense of teamwork. The only redeeming factor of the district is the new superintendent, he is incredible and truly cares about the students.

Pros

Some kind co-workers, great superintendent

Cons

HR Department, culture, benefits, rude co-workers get away with poor behavior, business processes are outdated and there is no teamwork, promotions are political and based on age/seniority - not true qualifications

Teacher

Great district with lots of support! I like to my principal and my coworkers. The school I was at was wonderful and I would recommend the campus to anyone.

Substitute Teacher flexible schedules

It was a good experience overall, I felt fully supported. I wish the pay was more but teachers deserve better pay as well. Overall I had a great time.

Pros

Pick your own schedule ahead of time

Cons

Short break

Growing District with Opportunities

Leander ISD is a wonderful district to work in. I felt a lot of support from my administration along with most of the board members. There has been challenges with the board not appearing to listen to the voices of educators, but I do believe things are shifting a great deal. There is a big emphasis on pulling together as a district which is always wonderful. The PLC's and community built between teachers can be so welcoming and supportive. I would definitely return to work within this district.

Pros

Supportive Administrators and Colleagues

Cons

Unrealistic expectations from community.

Great district to work for

Leander ISD is a great district to work for with many professional development opportunities. PLC time is built into the schedule so teachers can collaborate. The work-life balance is much better than previous districts I have worked for (early release days).

Pros

work-life balance, professional development

Cons

pay and benefits

A family type atmosphere for the retired or the bored stay at home.

From the get go you can tell that this is no ordinary job... You’re going to be trained and held to the highest standards. If you don’t already have one you’ll get your Class B CDL with airbrake, passenger and school bus endorsements. For the first week you’ll do your class room and written tests to get your learners permit. Then you’ll intensively train behind the wheel for the required 2 weeks minimally. Then you’ll take your test and probably pass. Then you’ll get your route. Since you’re new and route choice is based on seniority then you’ll probably get one with around 4 hours a day. The busses are mostly new and air conditioned. The management is supportive for the most part. The pay is competitive and the benefits are in line with a school system of this size.

Pros

Class B CDL

Cons

Not a lot of hours....

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Leander Independent School District. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
3.4Personal Development
3.8Career Opportunities
2.5Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight
Powered byInHerSight