LEAP Academy University Charter School Employee Reviews

Eh
7th Grade English Language Arts Teacher (Current Employee) –  549 Cooper streetAugust 16, 2019
The students, pay, and benefits are the only good things about the school. They over with the teachers, are not consistent with discipline, and are but consistent with their teacher's jobs. The student handbook is not followed for discipline ( students receive a talking to and we are expected to continue teaching them no matter what they did). Your position can change within a day or notification.
Pros
Pay, benefits, kids
Cons
Not consistent with anything, doesn't listen to the teachers, stressful environment
Leap is a great school for the Camden Community that are seeking to go to college after high school.
Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJJuly 8, 2019
Working as an I. A. at Leap has its cons and pros.
Cons: long work day and paid less
Pros: everyone respects each other and teachers work as a team. Great Benefits
Don't Waste Your Time
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJApril 22, 2019
I was hired as a teacher through their fellowship program where they fed me and my colleagues the dream of being a part of an innovative educational institution made up of students and teachers striving for excellence. This was not the case. The culture is toxic to students, teachers, and administration. If you care at all about serving students you will burn out quickly or become demented in an ill attempt at self-preservation. Students are expected to perform at levels beyond their reach and teachers are punished when students do not meet the expectations. There is no support for students social-emotional and behavioral needs. Teachers are expected to handle all of these issues within the classroom and can expect nothing but scrutiny if they reach out for support. I spent my first year simply nodding in agreement and dealing with student issues on my own and I survived. My second year I decided to push and advocate for my classroom. It was a total waste of energy. If you care about student well being and your own sanity DON'T WORK AT LEAP.
Pros
Great coworkers, health benefits
Cons
Everything else
5 years of my life I’ll NEVER GET BACK!
Teacher, Instructional Assistant, Disciplinarian (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJMarch 10, 2019
When I first got hired at LEAP, I was so excited to work for a prominent charter school in my hometown. I quickly realized this place was a sham! Administration is not invested in student success or in their teachers which indirectly sets the students up for failure. LEAP is a very top heavy institution. Money is put in all the wrong places; administration’s pockets, advertisement and promotion of the school as opposed to necessary resources for the students. This place does nothing but use and abuse people! They have their favorites and token LEAP graduates who are the poster children for the entire institution. Teachers come and go so often which provides an unstable environment for the students. I WOULD NEVER RETURN THERE!!! Not even if they tripled my salary. I have never been so miserable in my life for the duration of my employment. I physically felt I’ll driving into work everyday because I just knew it would be chaos. Believe it or not, LEAP is very discriminatory towards the non Latino population of students which is ridiculous! This place needs to be shut down but probably never will because the founder has too many “friends” in high places. PLEASE DO NOT WORK HERE!!!
Pros
Friendships among colleagues, benefits
Cons
Lack of resources, lack of support, too many Inconsistencies
Had a great experience being a tutor
Tutor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Broadway, NJJanuary 29, 2019
LEAP academy is a great place to work as a part time tutor. I not only enjoy working with my professor but also learn many new things. Being a tutor taught me a lot of things, key aspect of it being communication different ways of teaching high school students.
Pros
Relaxed job atmosphere
Cons
Unpaid breaks
LEAP Academy
TECHNOLOGY TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJOctober 12, 2018
LEAP Academy was a great place to work. It provided a satisfying and productive environment. The students were extraordinary, lively, and bright. I appreciated the school's commitment to the community. I think the hardest part of the job was the drive to constantly improve.
Pros
Training
Cons
No cons
Wonderful Students
Lead Teacher for three 11th grade English Classes (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJSeptember 12, 2018
Administration has room for improvement. The students are enthusiastic, but the college preparatory curriculum needs work as does school climate and culture.
Pros
Wonderful Young People, Friendly Co-Workers
Cons
Administration is in constant flux.
Biased
School Nurse (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJJune 17, 2018
There is a high turnover rate, typical day at work you see around 30 to 40 kids coming in to the office. Management doesn't know how stressful a day in the office can be. Not only are you in charge of 150 kids, but they come into the office as an escape/ to cut class. Even though there are some kids who are well behaved, most days are stressful. Evaluations are made by CMO (chief medical officer) who doesn't see what you do in a daily basis. The only good thing about this job are the hours. 10 month contracts get summer off, but no vacation days. 12 month contracts get 12 days vacation days and no summer off even though there are no kids in school.
Pros
work hours
Cons
stressful, biased, cut throat
Corrupt
Social Studies Teacher Grades (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJJune 12, 2018
It is about the money not the children. I could not sleep at night knowing all the corruption that went down at this place. They claim that all the student go to college, but they merely get them into college and they flunk out their first semester. It is a sick system. If you try to help fix it and challenge the corruption they get rid of you. Your expect to follow blindly and sweep a lot of things under the rug.
Pros
good pay
Cons
corrupt, cut throat
Laborer, General (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJMay 2, 2018
My work day at LEAP was very busy but I enjoyed it very much even though it was a temporary over the summer opportunity I was provided with. Since it was to help with preparing the building for the start of the new school year.
Ok place to work if your family is not a priority.
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJMay 18, 2017
The location was nice, the buildings are in great shape. Like any other place, you have your good and your bad people to work with. The work culture is very gloomy and trending down. Its just not a good place to work if you value your family.
Great work place
Custodian (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJFebruary 26, 2017
Been working here since 1998 and have utilized my skill and reached great depth... I've done all types of work from painting, stripping, waxing, sweep and mop, fixing toilets, and other thing as demanded by co-workers and boss...
Day at Work
Teacher Fellow (Current Employee) –  Camden, NJOctober 7, 2016
Prepare for my classes to ensure I am ready to teach the material needed. Teach and manage my classes proficiently to ensure each student gets what they need from the day's lesson. Have a lunch and talk to coworkers during prep periods while I prepare for the next day
Health and PE teacher
Health and Physical Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Camden, NJSeptember 12, 2016
GREAT work place. Very welcoming and hard working teachers. Students and staff are positive and always looking to help in every aspect of the school day.
Pros
Students