Legal Sea Foods Employee Reviews for Server

Mediocre
Server (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAApril 25, 2017
Require a lot from workers. Would be better as a side job. Sometimes slow, sometimes busy. They would over staff and send people home when not needed. Had to plan around them not the other way around.
Do not work here
Server (Current Employee) –  Chestnut Hill, MAApril 14, 2017
Legal Seafoods has an amazing reputation in the industry so, many prospective employees don't hesitate to apply. BEWARE! They treat their employees poorly. The management will make you feel as if you are in middle school with their rule and agenda. I worked at legals for many years and I understand why the management responds to their employees as they do, its because the higher ups put unrealistic pressures on them and gives them bonus incentives to come down hard on their employees. DO NOT APPLY!
Productive and Friendly Atmosphere
Server (Current Employee) –  Braintree, MAMarch 15, 2017
Working at Legal Seafood has been a great experience. I have been welcomes into their community with open arms and was taught the ropes very quickly with qualified trainers. Working there has been something I look forward to when I return home from school.
Pros
Friendly co-workers and guests, helpful and kind managers
Cons
short-breaks, long hours on your feet
Good place to make money
Server (Former Employee) –  Huntington, NYMarch 4, 2017
The menu was a little pricey and the restaurant offers bottle service so there was always ample opportunity to make money if you knew how to sell yourself a little. Management always made sure you were comfortable with workload and helped if you were overwhelmed.
Productive and fun place to work
Server (Current Employee) –  Peabody, MAJanuary 25, 2017
The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting new people. The management was great and everyone was extremely professional. The only thing I'd wish for would be more business.
Such a disappointment
Server (Former Employee) –  Short Hills, NJNovember 26, 2016
I was so excited that they called me in for an interview. Got hired, went through training for over a week and passed the test. It didn't take long before i noticed how unfair, unprofessional and irresponsible the majority of the people working there were. Let's start with the unfairness, as a newly hired server, you won't expect to get the best section or best tables of course. But the bottom line is, every one (senior servers) else's section will be filled before they start seating your section and by the time you're on your third table, they're on their sixth or seventh table turned. Hostesses are really unfair with the seating process and carelessly make it obvious. Amdthe funny thing is that you only get three tables during your shift. How are you supposed to make money with that if you son't get sat enough. I came from a place with high standards where every one, regardless of seniority, is given an equal chance to make money and everyone works as a team. I cannot say as much for Legal Seafoods. During training, they will tell you they set such high standards, but once you start working, it's an absolutely different world. The majority of the servers are very unprofessional and somewhat rude, they will be on their phones in the middle of a rush, chatting in the kitchen and don't even get called out on it by a manager or a chef. Their carry loud conversations where guests can hear them, whether at the bar or in the kitchen and i could go on and on. Only a handful of servers will help you when you need them, sometimes without even you asking. This place needs a "people"  more... makeover, that actually care, more bussers on the floor (because two bussers cannot handle a dining room of 45 tables or more). Same applies for a single food runner that cannot run everyone's food in a timely manner. Resuts: as a server, when in a busy rush, you fall behind because you spend time doing your busser or runner's job, clearing plates, running food, it affects your quality of service. Managers are hard to find sometimes when neeeded. They lack floor presence at times.
Working here was such a disappointment, because it is very far from what it seems. The money wasn't great at all, hours were long for nothing, and the majority of the people were horrible.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Seating rotation, lack of professionalism
Overall good place to work
Server (Current Employee) –  Chestnut Hill, MASeptember 28, 2016
The business is always steady, the team is extremely energetic and helpful. The establishment is a bit outdated and the clientele can be difficult at times but can be counteracted with equally pleasant guests. Overall a great place to work.
Productive and fast paced environment
Waiter/Server (Former Employee) –  Dedham, MASeptember 20, 2016
A typical day at work included 6-8 hour shifts, doubles of 12+ hours. I was constantly on my feet selling fine wines, daily specials, and my personal favorites such as Legal's infamous baked stuffed lobsters. I enjoyed a fast paced environment and working with many of my peers. There was a lot of turnover including new managers which I learned to adjust to. Building repour with customers and challenging myself to higher my sales daily was great experience and made my time at Legal enjoyable.
Pros
Hands on. Constantly meeting and interacting with new people.
Cons
Constant turnover within restaurant. Inconsistent income.
great place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Crystal City, VAFebruary 7, 2016
the money was consistent and the customers were enjoyable. I loved my coworkers. The schedule was flexible and there was never an issue with taking off of work. They offer health insurance which is rare for a restaurant.
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
High-Management Turnover
Server (Current Employee) –  Chestnut Hill, MAJanuary 22, 2016
The company has had several managers over the past few months. I believe that having this much change in management, without having any staff meetings to talk about it is the wrong way to go.
Pros
Money
Very Professional and High Class Service
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MANovember 6, 2015
The clientele at Legal Seafoods are typically people who are willing to spend a lot of money for not just the food but for great service and experience. With that in mind, you don't just have to sell food, you have to sell yourself as well. I learned that guest experience is a lot and you have to be willing to commit your entire attention and time on keeping your guests happy and wanting to come back. The change from a more relaxed atmosphere at Friendly's, to Legals was different but drove me to be a more efficient worker.
A great place to work for students
server (Current Employee) –  Kendall Square, Cambridge, MASeptember 24, 2015
Legal Sea Foods is a great place to work if you're a student. They will mostly accommodate your schedule, though each weeks schedule is released the previous Thursday or Friday, so making plans is virtually impossible. I love the servers and cooks I work with, and my managers are great people, regardless if I disagree with the policies corporate is passing down to them. But that aside if you work hard and devote all your time to them they will advance you. The best part by far is family meal, which the cookies put a lot of effort into if time allows.
Pros
Family meal, 20% off companywide stores
Cons
small sections, 'ethical' fishing practices
non professional
Waiter (Former Employee) –  Peabody, MASeptember 6, 2015
i loved the co workwers i worked with everyday

The managers were to demanding and very rude and didnt appreciate ow hard you worked for them
Pros
decent money
Cons
how the managers treated there employees
Fun workplace
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 1, 2015
Great company, fun workplace, great managers, comfortable environment, great food, warm smiles and laughs, fast paced environment, great pay
Upscale waterfront roofeck
Server (Current Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 30, 2014
A typical day at Legal Harborside began arriving to work and collaboratively completing opening side work routines to set up for the day. The restaurant guests begin to arrive and endure a long wait for a table in order to enjoy the view and fresh seafood. Since it was first come first serve seating, it was important to have open communication with my colleagues to provide assistance when necessary. We worked closely and collaboratively to ensure guests had an enjoyable restaurant experience. I learned that working as a team and helping others was an important and effective way to improve as a server. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting and interacting with guests and colleagues. The most difficult part of the job was maintaining guests' satisfaction when food or beverage service was taking longer than anticipated due to high-volume and long ticket times. Overall, I learned a great deal about time management, guest service, and food/beverage knowledge from working at this establishment.
Very fast-paced restaurant
Server (Former Employee) –  Burlington, MASeptember 22, 2014
As a server, my number one goal was keeping our guests happy, whether they were my own guests or at someone else's table. My job each day was to ensure the satisfaction of everyone who came into the door. Some day were easier than others, but I learned a great deal about how to read people and adjust to their needs. I also learned a great deal about multi-tasking and prioritizing my needs.
Pros
Good money from tips
Cons
Long hours on my feet
Great place to work.
Server (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAAugust 5, 2014
We take orders with a hand held so we can focus on our guest. we also try special food and wine of the day so we will know what we are selling.
High Level of Professionalism
Server (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 24, 2014
When people think of working as a server at a restaurant, it seems to be a walk in the park that doesn't take to much intelligence. This is a false accusation. Legal Seafood's goal was to provide top notch satisfaction to the customer. This level of satisfaction required a two week training class for each employee before getting on to the floor as well as multiple tests, wine tastings, and food tastings. Manager's paid attention to each server's every move. At some points it did seem as though they were micromanaging at times, but at the end of the day everyone was working together to satisfy the customers which is great. Unlike other serving jobs, Legal Seafood's provides benefits to the servers including 401K and health insurance.
Pros
Benefits, great environment to interact with customers
Cons
Micromanaging, not a stable job
Extremely fast paced restaurant
Server (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 15, 2014
This place is unpredictable. One minute your looking for something to do the next minute hours have past by and your still busy. Lots of tourist and travelers.
Pros
Great food, great learning enviroment.
Cons
High turnovers with employees, hostile work enviroment.
Nice work place
Server (Current Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 4, 2013
Hardest part of my job is people with allergies.
The most enjoyable part of my job is meeting people and learning from other cultures
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Legal Sea Foods. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

2.0Personal Development

2.5Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight