Legg Mason Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Typical day
Administrative Assistant in Technology (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTJuly 2, 2018
My typical day at the office was providing administrative support to the Planning Team. It was great working with everyone on supporting the bank as they were the client and it was our job to provide the utmost highest technology support.

Management is understanding and fair. The workplace culture within the office is healthy. The expectations to work with the highest integrity, have good values and respect.

Flexible hours are offered and are very useful for when you have to take care of your children or parent.
Pros
Flexible hours and work remote, good benefits and employee discounts
Marketing (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 12, 2017
I just wish there were more opportunities to move up. Otherwise it is a good place to work. The management is good and really value the employees. Strong emphasis on diversity.
supportive yet challenging
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 25, 2017
My management team was fair and supportive, very competitive and stressful environment was tempered by a fun atmosphere and good benefits, employee engagement, etc. Lots of room to move around and upwards -- I had to leave because I was at the top so to speak and had nowhere to go. HR did try and help me move elsewhere within the company.
Pros
Great cafeteria, lots of employee engagement
Cons
Competitive atmosphere could feel stiff
I have no comment
Business Development/ Hybrid (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 5, 2017
I have no comment. I don't know why I am forced to do this when looking fro. new job. the company is fine. I just need a change. I hope this suffices.
Pros
good pay, good people
Cons
no brand, poor culture
Good Company bad managment
Internal Sales Director (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTAugust 30, 2017
Transitioning company in a competitive industry. Management not good. They have way too many products to the point you are a master of none. Forces you to sell their fund of the month/quarter. Salary and compensation quotes were not met once fully ingrained in the job
Good work life balance
Fund Administration, Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 24, 2017
Great work live balance, good employee training, Work culture is good. Senior management is slow in communicating events to its employees. There was no job security,
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Compensation
Lacks Diversity of Everything
Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 25, 2017
No Innovation. No Diversity. Terrible Pay. Legg Mason is not the best in class company to work for. Find a better alternative. Lacks Diversity of Everything
Good place
CRM (Former Employee) –  EuropeApril 25, 2017
Working at a smaller branch does not offer all the perks that you might get working at one of the larger offices around the world. However, working in a small team did offer the opportunity to do the work of all possible departments (e.g. Sales, Client Service, Accounting, Legal, HR, Facilities, Marketing, IT) and thus, learning about all the different parts of the business.
A Great Stepping Stone
Analyst, Global Business Intelligence team (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTApril 1, 2017
Legg Mason is a solid company to work for. They have a great culture and benefits for their employees. Management is good but is spread thin due to such a lean structure. If you work hard and are active within the company you can learn a lot.
Standard First Job
Manager of Shipping/Receiving -IT Department (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 8, 2014
At Legg Mason, I was responsible for storing and distributing technology equipment purchased by the company for the IT Department. I was also responsible for shipping equipment to various local Legg Mason offices.
Pros
good learning experience
Good value of employees
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 18, 2014
This company was acquired by Legg Mason.
I held many challenging positions at Citigroup. It helped me learn all aspects of the administrative field and helped move up in my career.
The hardest part in one of my roles here was when a co-worker left for long-term disability and I fulfilled two roles at one time. Also, facing the disaster recovery after Sept. 11, where we were located at 7 World Trade Center.
Pros
company employee events
Nice Pay, Poor Job Security, Long Commute
Executive / Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTMay 5, 2014
I loved working there, until my boss left the company and my job was basically eliminated. Good pay, but a very long commute for me.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Job Security, Long Commute
Excellent work experience with good upper management
Developer Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDJanuary 21, 2014
Excellent work environment with good ethics. Cutting edge technology , ideal place to work.
Poor communication / great people
Assistant Vice President - Accounting Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 5, 2014
A typical day at work would be adjusting and /or reviewing fund budgets. I learned more than I could have ever imagined at Legg. I was exposed to many aspects of the Funds as well as different departments. Management tried hard to keep up with the changes but ultimately all the cuts really put a lot of pressure on the employees. My co workers were really nice, hardworking people. The hardest part of the job was wondering what was coming down the pike next. What was being eliminated, changed and/or introduced. Not knowing what was happening next was really hard. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a great boss and group. We really stuck together and made the best out of every situation.
Pros
great boss
Cons
cuts and change
Proactive Internal Sales
Internal Sales (Former Employee) –  Stamford, CTSeptember 27, 2013
50-60 Calls and 5-7 set appointments per day
Learned objection handling and presentation selling
Experienced significant management changes
Competitive work environment
Rapidly changing economic conditions presented many challenges
Very rewarding when sales efforts led to investment success for clients
Fast paced, fun enviornment
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 12, 2013
Legg Mason provides a great enviornment to work in. It has great management and wonderful co-workers
Best Place to work in Baltimore
Annuities Associate (Former Employee) –  Owings Mills, MDJuly 26, 2013
Company experienced hardship in last few years but is a great company to work for
Management was ethical and responsible
People were honest and direct
Always supportive of you
A Great Place to learn and grow
Network Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 19, 2013
I am forever grateful the experiences that I received both technically and personally. I learned the value of having systems and protocols in place that protect the integrity of information. I worked with a team that was proactive and supportive.
Productive and enjoyable workplace
Client Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 2, 2013
A typical day was from 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM. Mostly taking care of clients over phone and e-mail. Some heavy days of processing trades, opening accounts or doing maintenance on accounts. Learned to work very well with co-workers as a team, learned much about how the business works. Management was very professional and understanding of the team's needs. Co-workers were great, we were a very cohesive group, worked very well together. Stayed friends with most of them. Hardest part of the job was trying to avoid making mistakes on trades. The most enjoyable part was the working as a team with my coworkers and also attending to our clients needs that after many years of mutual contact over the phone and e-mail some friendships were formed even though some were half way around the world.
Pros
Pleasant workplace, enjoyable work, good salary
Cons
Department moved out of state
Admin Asst/Facilities Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 4, 2012
While I enjoyed the work I performed, I wasn't acknowledged for that performance. I was hired as an Admin Asst, however, performed the responsibilities of a Facilities Manager. I worked closely with outside vendors and building management. My co-workers were great as there were approximately 160 of us. I most enjoyed being needed and solving employee issues on a daily basis. The hardest part of the job was being layed off along with 59 others due to corporate restructuring.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Legg Mason. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.8InHerSight Score

3.6Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

4.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight