Leica Microsystems Employee Reviews

Typical administrative role
Logistics & Traffic Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bannockburn, ILJanuary 31, 2019
Learned emphasis on internal logistics freight forwarding, billing, various interdepartmental interaction, and administrative support as it pertains to the role.
Pros
Hour long lunch, good benefits
Cons
Can be high pressure at times
Leica is loyal and interesting
Imaging Team Leader, Optical Microscopy Division (Former Employee) –  Bannockburn, ILOctober 29, 2018
Compensation and chances for advancement are lower, and reorganizations and pressure constant. Despite this, the company is a secure place to work with a good focus on the mission.
Pros
German technology, caring managers
Cons
Can be slow
Great company, low impact
Corporate Medical Sales Specialist - Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 19, 2018
Great company to work for if only Danaher would allow them to keep up with the better technology than the competitor. Great culture just no budget for new technology.
Awesome instruments
Research Microscopy Sales Specialist - NYC (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 23, 2018
Great products and company. Marketing was thin, infrastructure to react to sales was poor. Worked hard to establish the branding in NYC for Leica. It was snot a recognizable company. Stressed hard to get Leica back into this marker.
Products to obtain , were difficult , not well , controlled , often damaged. Time from ales call to demonstration vs all competitors was not fast for most customers.
Pros
Products
Cons
Logistics
Research Microscopy Specialist (Former Employee) –  Buffalo Grove, ILJanuary 8, 2019
Very Structured environment. Closely monitored all activities. Communicated expectations very clearly. Offered bonuses for achieving quotas, great benefits.
Strategic Product Offering missed the mark
Corporate Medical Sales Specialist, Outside Sales (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 17, 2018
Biggest mistake was selling Leica Microsystems to Danaher. Leica has lost focus to what surgeons want in microscopy. Zeiss competition leads the way in surgical microscopy needs. Too Bad
Assistant Controller (Former Employee) –  Buffalo Grove, ILJanuary 7, 2018
Good company to work for and enjoyed the culture of the company.
I was responsible for the supervision and mentoring a team on six in the areas of Financial Reporting and Analysis and Accounting/Finance.
I was responsible for the consolidation of thirty-five clients incding Kraft, Home Depot and Kellogg’s.
I also performed monthly and annual forecasting/budgeting involving consolidation, division and business unit level with product line detail to include sales, gross margin and expenses.
Use to be a great place to work
Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 19, 2018
It was a great place to work in the beginning, then the company was sold to a larger company, culture changed, micromanaged all activities, management does not support the people sales is your enemy.
Pros
Compensation
Professional Company
Senior Field Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Buffalo Grove, ILJanuary 23, 2018
Enjoyed every aspect of working there, learned the business inside and out.
Professional managers and supported us techs 100%.
Everyday was different from the rest
Provided a unique insight to the world of medical research.
Customer Service / Bids (Former Employee) –  Bannockburn, ILJune 19, 2017
Provided a unique insight to the world of medical research. A fast pace environment due to the necessity of delivering the product to the customer swiftly. Assisted in developing the ability to multitask different functions to allow high customer satisfaction
Not going in the right direction
Senior Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Buffalo Grove, ILApril 24, 2017
Lot of layoffs happen yearly at this location. Usually around 20-30 people are cut each December. Management changes 2-3 times a year. Head office is located in Germany, they decide on advancement or headcount, and decisions are made swiftly. Office in Buffalo Grove is just barely hanging on at this point.
Cons
Layoffs will be coming
Generated a very good teamwork enviroment.
Repair Lead (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 18, 2016
Repaired demo and customer equipment with quality and customer satisfaction. Learned how to breakdown priorities and provide EXCEL reports on a daily basis for daily, monthly, and yearly goals. Co-workers became best of friends and always worked together in order to achieve our goals and maximize quality and customer satisfaction on required deadlines. Rush for end of month deadlines for sales was the challenging part of the job, but was still manageable. I loved coming to a friendly work environment that was fun but always professional, always looked forward to the next day of work.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Benefits
I loved this job. The travel, troubleshooting, teaching, and loved my customers
Field Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2012
I would be at the customer's account @ 7:00 AM and stay until the work was completed. I was working at an account and troubleshooting why an antibody was not working. I ended up staying until 3:00 AM. I was able to get a great deal of information to send back to the company. We got the antibody working and the customer was very happy. Another time a customer called me at 11:30 pm to walk her through a situation on the tissue processor. We got them up and going and always put the customers first.
I loved the people I worked with we were definitely a team.
typical day at work
Sr Cust Service Representative - Medical Division (Current Employee) –  Buffalo Grove, ILOctober 12, 2015
I work from 8am to 5pm Mon thru Fri as a Senior Cust Service Rep in the Medical Division. We are logged into the 800 line to answer calls from both customers and our sales reps throughout the country. The reps I work with demand quotes for surgical microscopes with different components. I enter 75% of all orders that come in including spare parts and full systems. It is typically fast paced between the call and order volume. I work with an exciting group of people and no day is the same around here.
Pros
activities committee
Cons
Work flow from others piling onto my job.
Exciting High Tech Company with great support system
Demonstration Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Buffalo Grove, ILJanuary 2, 2013
Day started with the QDIP meeting with management team to review the day befores productivity,quality, inventory status and the on time delivery of the microscopes that were requested from our customers. Review the current days schedule. Receive the days returns in SAP, then pull the units that are schedule to be shipped and build them and insure they are fully operational. The training was always on going to keep up with the growing technology in the medical and industrial fields. worked with best in these fields. working with the field Reps assist them in there on going training was very satisifying.
The hardest part of this job was leaving
Pros
the great summer cook outs
Good Place to Work
CUSTOMER SUPPORT SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 8, 2017
It is a fast paced place to work with an emphasis on cutting edge technology. There is an emphasis on being competitive and providing fair compensation to the employees.
Pros
Advancement potential
Cons
Relatively low pay
Productive and fast paced environment
Manager - Financial Reporting and Analysis (Former Employee) –  Buffalo Grove, ILSeptember 6, 2013
Reviewing account details and reconciliations
SAP applications
Management was very supportive
Co-workers were fun and supportive
Responding to constant daily requests from corporate
Getting feedback on your performance
Pros
Opportunities to learn cross function responsibilities
Not a bad company, but do your research.
Manufacturing Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, NCApril 25, 2017
The headline says it all. I don't think Leica is a "bad" company but they are more worried about sales and revenue than they are their employees. Again this is an opinionated post so do your own research before taking a job.
Decent place to work
N/A (Current Employee) –  Buffalo Grove, ILAugust 8, 2017
Decent place to work. Great teamwork and very dedicated associates, everyone is willing to help on another. Great product with a strong history of quality.
Postive atmosphere
Temp position through JobGiraffe (Current Employee) –  Buffalo Grove, ILOctober 9, 2012
I hesitate to rate the above as I have only been at Leica since July in a temp role. My co-workers are always polite and helpful. The group I am in is a very positive group and they seem to really enjoy what they do.