Leonard Buildings and Truck Accessories Employee Reviews

I lost valuable time with this company. They have had 4 HR Managers in a three year span.
HR Manager (Former Employee) –  CorporateNovember 20, 2018
This is a company that can't be trusted. From the top down the turnover is unreal. They hire executives and pay them top dollar only to have them quit as soon as they find out the real story. Employees are more than willing to tell them the truth about this company. The management group that purchased them a few years ago doesn't know the real story about how they treat their employees on a local basis. Attempts to bring in new upper management have failed miserably. They are not very well liked.
Pros
Cons
Untrustworthy
Fast paced and great company staff
Installer/Technician (Current Employee) –  North carolinaNovember 12, 2018
One team,one goal. Each location is ready to help each other with parts or equipment when available. Installs are simple enough to learn and learn right.
Can get hectic at times but with great support from the managers, everything works out at the end of the day.
Pros
Flexible hours, great camaraderie, helpful sales staff
Big Company with Small Company Feel
Commercial and Fleet Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Wilmington, NCNovember 9, 2018
I’ve worked for both Large Corporations and Smaller Family Businesses, working at Leonard’s you get both. You feel as though you’re a member of a small local team with Big Team Strength. Everyone I’ve encountered has one common goal and that is to do what’s right for the Customer by taking care of their needs!
Pros
Big Company Strength, an Industry leader!
Cons
Productive and competitive place to work
Commercial / Fleet Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCNovember 9, 2018
Outside Sales- great support from management, a real success breeds success atmosphere. Good in-team communication and cross team support and cooperation
Pros
freedom to work how you see best works in your market
Cons
Great Leaders, Goal Oriented.
Ecommerce (Current Employee) –  Mount Airy, NCNovember 6, 2018
Leaders at the company are there to guide you toward your team's goals. It's not about pointing fingers and laying blame, it's about you getting the most out of your position in the company and how to efficiently work towards set goals. Group Directors/Senior Leaders are all very focused and ready to help out at any time.

No company is perfect, this one does a nice job of managing its growing pains. If you come here to work hard and make a difference you will get a lot out of your job. If you just come in to collect a check then you probably won't like it here.
Pros
Good Benefits, Competitive Salary, Great Leaders
Overall work experiance
Installer/Technician (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCNovember 4, 2018
Must say I really enjoy working for Leonards. Has been a great experiance for me and I believe it would be for anyone who enjoys working with their hands and seeing their work speak for itself at the end of a specific task. There is always something new to be learned and new products to work with and install. A great company to be with if you're someone who  takes pride in their work and knowing their efforts are appreciated. In addition to the benefits, paid vacations and being paid weekly, Leonards is a great place to try a new career path or join if you are already in this line of work.
A great place to work, where anyone can become someone great!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCNovember 3, 2018
I've been working for this company for more than 5 years and I couldn't be happier. I started as an installer and now manage two locations in a big city. It was not given to me by any means. Hard work and dedication to the job was seen by my peers and was rewarded. When I first started this was just a place I was showing up to get a check. Within the first 6 months I had a new family that has been with me for years. Promoting within means we get to know everyone who is in charge of us and that just makes the day more enjoyable.

With new Management and Ownership things looked scary for us on an employee scale. We were wrong. They have done nothing but better this company in ways I didn't know we were lacking. What used to be a company that was about taking care of its employees and the bills turned into one that cares about its customers and the right thing to do. Not once has this company not had my back on a problem, and even though we were in the right Still took care of the customer.

In 5 years we have doubled this business. No other truck accessories, storage, or trailer store can say that. We are providing quality product to great customers. We are adding new locations all the time. This is a great place to get a job and earn a living.

I read a lot of the reviews on here and it really hurt me to see people saying the things they were about Leonard. I didn't have knowledge of truck accessories when I started and they helped me to learn there product. I have never been treated with disrespect or been told that my work wasn't good enough. We
  more... as a team are always told we are doing a great job all the time. We have a meeting twice a year with the whole company just for that!

If you are willing to work for it you really can become something bigger then you thought you could be. Come be apart of the team!
Great Team Work!
Commercial & Fleet Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Tri-Cites TNNovember 2, 2018
Having had a lengthy career in Sales, I have never seen such teamwork as I have here at Leonard. Everyone is engaged in taking care of our customers in a timely and efficient manor.

Management is wonderful and always open to suggestions for improvement.

New Leadership team is very engaged with all employees in the company.

Overall a great place to have a prosperous career!
Pros
Management and Helpful Employees
Cons
None to Mention
Love working for this company
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  South Charleston, WVNovember 2, 2018
Absolutely love this company. Great place with exceptional people to work with. Very loyal to this company and do not plan on leaving. Want to be part of a great team. Join Leonard’s team and be successful.
Steady, reliable work
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Huntington, WVNovember 2, 2018
Been with Leonard for about 15 months now and have had great success with advancement within the company. Hard work and dedication in noticed and well rewarded. It’s been a great place of employment for me.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Depends on individual POV
Everyday is different no two days the same
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  TennesseeNovember 2, 2018
Work for the company 10 years great place to work family oriented. Enjoy the people I work with well known company that's been in business over 55 years always we can to improve stores
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere
assistant store manager
Assitant Manager (Current Employee) –  Kingsport, TNNovember 2, 2018
A typical day as a assistant store manger includes: scheduling and helping with installations, working with customers to get them the products they need/want.The most enjoyable part of the job is working on new trucks and giving them a custom touch to make them stand out among the crowd.
Leonard runs on Teamwork
District Manager (Current Employee) –  TennesseeOctober 26, 2018
If you enjoy being part of a team where you matter and your input is needed Leonard is the right place for you. Everything at Leonard is a team effort and this creates a fun environment.

Leonard is a growing company with a new COO and new HR director that are helping solve the issues that may been been present in the past but are not now

Leonard has always been fair and honest and treated me with respect. Everyone up to the CEO knows your name and cares about your success
Great place to work, Fast paced enviroment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCOctober 26, 2018
If you like to be challenged both mentally and physically then this is the place for you. The pay is fair for the cost of living in my area. I worked a desk job before this and needed a change of pace and Leonards definitely provided it. The work environment is fast paced and ever changing. I enjoy the different challenges posed each day and look forward to growing within the company.
Great Career opportunity, Money Doesn't make the Salesperson, the Salesperson makes the Money!!
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New Bern, NCOctober 24, 2018
Leonard's has been around since 1963, and continues to grow, it grows because they look for Great ,Positive, Trainable, Dedicated, staff.
And as well all know this narrows down the playing field a lot. I have been a Manager with Leonard Buildings and Truck accessories for over 7 years. As any job it comes with good days and bad days. I know each day will be different, each customer is different. This is a fast paced business, you are always working to do better than the day before. As a Manager YOU get to work this position as if it is your own business. If you sit back waiting for people to find you chances are you may not make a lot of money and your staff will not have anything to install. Pay is competitive, hours vary. If you are looking at just a place to clock in and clock out without having passion for your job this may not be the right place. Good Health care packages, as well as Vision, Dental, 401K. Paid Vacation, . I have been very happy that I chose to work for Leonards. It has been the best decision I have made.
Pros
Management really cares about its staff, 2 vendor training shows each year
Don't waste your time
Install/spray tech (Former Employee) –  NcOctober 23, 2018
You'll be promised things such as raises, but they'll find every reason not to come through. They buy the bare minimum, cheapest tools. Then get mad when something wears out or breaks. You can't buy harbor freight drill bits & tools & expect them to last when 2/4 techs are using them everyday, all week long. Constantly over scheduling. You're dying of heat in the shop, then the sales people come out the store wearing coats because it's so cold in the store.. then when you try to sit inside for 5 minutes to cool down between installs you get questioned what your doing & handed another ticket & rushed back to work.. all while managment & sales are standing around talking & playing on their personal Facebooks. They are going to continue having good installers that want to grow within the company & make a career leave, unless the uppers stop being so money hungry & help their workers to support their families better. The amount of different things you have to learn & master & do as an installer with this company, you should be able to make $15-$18 an hour with commission on truck accessories & trailers that are sold within a short amount of time as long as you are growing & doing what you're supposed to do. But, as long as you are wearing that gray shirt you won't. They hire people with absolutely no experience, that have no business working on people's trucks. And their training consists of throwing people with zero experience in the shop and telling them to read the directions. If you're a smart, educated tech with experience do not waste your time with this company. They paint  more... a pretty picture for you during your interview. Don't be fooled.  less
Pros
None, I promise
Cons
Great Company to work for!
District Manager (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaOctober 23, 2018
I have been with this company for several years now and I absolutely love it. There is room for advancement as most of our managers have came through the ranks to now manage their own stores

Leonard is a rapidly growing brick and mortar company which is hard to find in today's online world. They offer very competitive wages and great benefits. Dental, vision, 401k just to name a few. 2 weeks paid vacation after 90 days!

Most positions in the company, especially at the retail store level are very fast paced. you have to be able to manage your store and staff, as well as most importantly, servicing the Customer! it is not always a cakewalk but it can be very rewarding and a great career!
Pros
Great Benefits, 401K, Room for advancement
Cons
Great place to make a career.
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 20, 2018
If you enjoy working hard and interacting with people this is the company for you. Most corporations do not allow you to interact with upper management but at Leonard you have that opportunity to do so if you would like. Leonard offers a generous base salary plus commission and quarterly bonus'. The great thing about the compensation is your commission is not capped so your income is unlimited based on your sales ability. We are a specialty retail company and offer a wide range of products for all consumers. Most retail companies are open 7 days a week. We are only open 6 days a week and the majority of our employees work 5 days a week. I have received great support over the years working for this company that has helped me achieve my goals. If you want your voice to be heard they are always willing to listen on ways to improve our business and how we serve our customers. I personally have tried other employment opportunities but I absolutely love working for this company. I enjoy seeing where this company started to where it is today. If you are looking to join a growing profitable company this is the company to work for. They care about their employees and their families well being. This is hard to find in the times we live in today.
Pros
Full Benefits Package, Compensation, Flexible Schedule
Find Somewhere Else
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaOctober 15, 2018
Benefits and pay are average. Some of the sheds we sell are nicer than the stores. Company culture is very negative and most managers I talk to seem to hate their jobs. A lot of stores are stuck in the past.

Nicer stores like 4 Wheel Parts will make them go out of business.
Pros
Pay is alright
Cons
PTO is all messed up, turnover is bad, managers aren't given any help.
Non caring company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  All locationsAugust 2, 2018
They hire people off the street to be managers and district managers. Most may have business experience but very few know how to be a manger. If you are friends with management you can get away with anything. Expected to work long hard hours for low pay. Nobody at home office will take responsibility, everyone plays the blame game. Never want to perform maintenance on vehichles, would rather wait till vehicle breaks down and leave you stranded.
Pros
Most hourly workers are good to work with
Cons
Management, pay, working conditions, goals set too high