Lessing's Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work with no help and no upper management
Employee (Current Employee) –  Rhode IslandSeptember 11, 2018
Stay far away from this shady company that uses and abuses all it's employees from manager to hourly employee..there is no help and when you call and ask for help you are told sorry there is no one because the company is to cheap and is always trying to cut corners and cost.there is no such thing as training so you have people cooking and handling food that never change gloves, wash hands and have no idea what food safety is.breaks are not allowed upper management wants you to falsely document that breaks are being taken you are told that the needs of the business come before a break it's a joke.the office in new York has no idea what is really going on and does not care about the people doing the work they can't even offer affordable health insurance
Pros
No managers around because there short staffed
Cons
Everything, health insurance is unaffordable
Internship
INTERNSHIP (Former Employee) –  CCRI ProvidenceSeptember 4, 2018
I did an internship to to keep my skills sharp and to learn new things. It was a very good placement - very busy and fast paced. I loved it.
The staff were all very helpful
nice place to work
Cook (Current Employee) –  Great River, NYJune 27, 2018
Great place to work but i need advancement opportunities. I enjoy my co-workers and the customers but need to further my career. Very easy to learn there.
Service ok
lead Mongolian grill cook (Former Employee) –  Newport, RIJune 6, 2018
Good food management needs to listen to workers more often .
Good hours Monday thru Friday 7-3
Small cafeteria not alot of students
Staff are friendly an helpful
Pros
Good food
Cons
Low pay
fun place to work but...
Barista Starbucks (Former Employee) –  Dobbs Ferry, NYJune 2, 2018
It was a fun place to work at. But there were some draw backs. Low pay wages, and no sick pay. Some times long hours because everyone called out. Low morale, stressful at times. The plus side is that the manager was very nice, always worked with me to make the place better, and worked with my class schedule.
Pros
discounted lunch
Cons
low pay, unlivable wages, no sick pay
Good company with nice people surrounding it
Bus Boy (Former Employee) –  North Haven, CTMay 27, 2018
Working for Lessing’s was a great experience that I would recommend to anyone who enjoys working with new faces and diverse food culture in the kitchen. A typical day is started with a breakfast served at 12 then after it ends it goes to lunch then dinner. The food served is cooked frozen and fresh which makes for a healthy balance of nutrition. I believe I learned a lot about how a kitchen is supposed to be run and a lot about the Jewish culture. I was very intrigued about their religion and culture and was taught very well before I dove into work so that I felt comfortable serving food to customers. It’s a great place overall and I would recommend working there
Pros
Free dinner lunch and bread easy
Cons
Busy
Good work place
Utility Worker (Former Employee) –  Jamestown, NYMarch 26, 2018
This job was the best place to work at because everyone was very helpful to me and made a lot of friends. I learned so much by working at this job about the kitchen. Management was awesome.
One of the worsed places to work
Food Server (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYFebruary 14, 2018
I guess it depends what manager you get to work for? I signed on with no food service experience and was more like yell at then being shown how to do things? The last manager was the worst.I've never been talked down to like I was a dumb 10 year old child.They really need to get audio and video so they can hear the things that were said to me or other workers. Worst place I ever worked. Very short to know breaks which is by law wrong!! Luck I got to use restroom. Good Luck!!!
Pros
food
Cons
Nasty managment, no fun, mentaly draning
Fun workplace i loved it
HEAD COOK (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 9, 2018
It was a private business so I only worked for the workers there. I would prep cook and work the register stock and clean. The bosses we went through alot but some of them tried . The hardest part of the job was staying awake I worked overnights. My favorite part was my customers. I learned alot I was the only worker for nights I learned to make time go by faster by always constantly cleaning or preping or stocking.
Pros
Free food and tips
Cons
No breaks
poorly staffed and managed
Kitchen Associate (Current Employee) –  New York StateJanuary 29, 2018
I honestly don't think it would be a bad job if it was better staffed and had a more competent/professional manager. I have learned a lot yet don't have anything to show for it. No room for advancement or willingness to train the staff properly. Very high demands but very little pay.
Pros
close to home
Cons
stressful, poorly managed
Fun, productive, opportunities
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Babylon, NYJanuary 29, 2018
In my experience for working for the Lessing’s I have learned how to work well under pressure, how to communicate with the public and be a leader. The company has made me want to continue on with helping others and working with the public.
Its like working at Cheers
Sports Bar - Head Bartender (Current Employee) –  Smithtown, NYJanuary 28, 2018
Smithtown Landing is a unique place to work Its so great to be part of people's down time. The regulars are like a family and golf is a place to de-stress from all stressers!
Pros
people
Cons
physical and weekend work
Upper management shows no support
Chef Manager (Former Employee) –  Norwell, MAOctober 25, 2017
While working here you are told to keep food cost down and generate more business by advertising. With that said, there is absolutely no help or support from the upper management team to aid in the implementation of advertising. Also, from beginning to end of shift there are far too many chores to do that would not allow enough time to even plan out advertising! As a manager of a unit, you are more of a cook, dishwasher and baby sitter! No tools are provided for success. Worst. Company. Ever.
Pros
Schedule- Weekends off, holidays off
Cons
Upper management, salary, Human Resources
Lessings. Want to work think about the name
Supervisor/chef (Former Employee) –  Quincy, MASeptember 30, 2017
They lie about positions you could have or what you applied for they lie about their wages they set you up for failure do not care about their employees just care about the money that comes in
Great working conditions and hours
Cafeteria Worker (Current Employee) –  Great River, NYSeptember 20, 2017
I enjoy being able to multi-task and working at Lessing's has given me the opportunity to do just that. I cooked on the grill, chopped and prepared veggies for the sandwich and salad bar, made sandwich salads, cleared tables, operated the dish washer, operated the cash register, restocked beverage coolers and chip display, prepared soups and broke down and cleaned all areas including sweeping and mopping the floors. The working atmosphere at Lessing's is excellent. The cafeteria staff works as a team
Pros
free meal and off on week-ends
Cons
it gets pretty hot in the grill area
Too much favoritism
Everybody's your manager (Former Employee) –  Dobbs Ferry Westchester County New YorkSeptember 12, 2017
I work over 40 hours a week with no break work straight through today I had no respect for me work me like a slave on a plantation that's how I was at lessons
Pros
The free food.
Cons
The pay with no benefits
good work atmosphere
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York StateSeptember 1, 2017
Before new management took over everything ran much more smoothly. The students were constantly getting away with stealing. No co!munication btwn Starbucks, main Cafe and victory.. there is so much potential there and their prices on some items were too hogh
Pros
free lunch
Cons
new management
Good apmoshere
Food Service Cook (Current Employee) –  Florham Park, NJAugust 13, 2017
My shift consist of cooking, cashing, stock, ordering,catering and cleaning.They need to offer some type of healthcare. We could use at lease one more employee for all that the job requires there is only 3 employees working with Lessings.
Pros
Good team.
Cons
I don't have healthcare
fast paced but fun
cashier (Former Employee) –  Dobbs Ferry, NYAugust 9, 2017
I would arrive to work at 12 Noon.i would check my post and the type of food and beverages was being served for the day.i receive fresh food from the main kitchen and take it to my post.I have the help from a cashier and a line server.I stock beverages and assist customers.best part of the job is the food and the people who visit from all over the world.
Great place to learn off premise cooking and catering.
Lead Line Cook/Catering Chef (Current Employee) –  Smithtown, NYAugust 1, 2017
A regular day can consist of prepping cold or hot food items for a function on or off site later in the day or the following. I've learn off premise catering for the first time as well as butchering meats as far as beef cuts, poultry, and fish. Management has improved since I got there as far as communication and organization between workers. What makes the job hard is the lack of co-workers we have for the size of events we do. On the other hand, the best part of the job is the new people and places we visit.
Pros
Loads to learn and great working environment
Cons
No handbook or talk about benefits when hired