Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Budget
Campaign Manager (Current Employee) –  Cranford, NJAugust 31, 2018
Learned a lot about people skills, and how to talk to people. But there is a lot of pressure to make budget, even if you do make budget sometimes it is not enough. Each year more and more pressure is put on employees
Pros
Lots of vacation time
Cons
Lots of night and weekends
Fun Place to work
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 30, 2018
Very educational, learned how to be a guest speaker. Management was great. Hardest part is too see a patient going thru cancer treatment. Getting to know people was the most pleasing.
Pros
Best place to volunteer
Productive, Active, Busy
Campaign Assistant, Special Events (Current Employee) –  Independence, OHAugust 6, 2018
My time at the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society has been nothing short of amazing. I have learned so much in the two years I have been here. Learning to have such an attention to detail has really helped outside the office as well. The work environment is great and the people here are one of a kind everyone is always there to help with every campaign.
Pros
Time Off, Great Work Atmosphere
Cons
Pay
I never worked for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Dialamerica Marketing (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 24, 2018
I never worked for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I use to sell magazines subscriptions through DialAmerica Marketing to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society,
Little to no advancement.
Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYJuly 24, 2018
Poor Help Desk management.
Little to no career advancement.
Little to no positive feedback from management.
It inter-departmental communications are almost no-existent.
Corporate Development
Senior Director (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTJuly 14, 2018
LLS is a top flight organization comprised of highly committed folks who really want to make a difference. I truly enjoy the work that I do and I am so impressed with the volunteer patients and families that rally behind this vital cause to find cures for blood cancers and improve the lives of patients and families
Buena experiencia laboral en el extrangero
Asistente del departamento de Eventos Especiales (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 3, 2018
El equipo de trabajo me recibió de la mejor manera posible, estuve ahí un periodo aproximado de 5 meses y aprendí bastante de esta asociación. Tuve la oportunidad de aprender como desenvolverme en un ambiente laboral en la ciudad de Nueva York.
horrible office plitics
mgr (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2018
They treat volunteers horribly and are not organized. There is a lot of office politics locally at the various chapter and nationally. There is constant change on how to do things - new computer systems, new policies, new logos, new procedures, new names for the programs and campaigns, and it is presented very haphazardly. It confuses the public. Most of the money raised goes to fundraising expenses and there are high salaries of people in the New York office. They don't pay the program or campaign staff enough money to stay for very long. ALOT of staff turnover in every chapter- which says a lot about the company. There are too many layers of management telling the staff what to do. They waste money flying them in and out of the various states and chapters. Not a pleasant working environment - long hours and no work-life balance. They don't fill staff openings with any sense of urgency, so the other staff have to pick up the pieces of the job. They don't have a good reputation in the community like so another charitable non-profit organization. They fire people on hearsay. A lot of the top staff came form the Heart Association and the American Diabetes Association letting them go. The LLS is full of dysfunction - the team in training program is confusing. They used to have staff that assisted patients - but they eliminated them so patients have to call toll free number to get help. it is all about the fundraising - not about the patients. They don't have a good rating with Charity Navigator, BBB or Guide Star because of how much overhead and admin expenses they have for  more... raising funds  less
Pros
cancer reserach
Cons
low pay - high stress - poor communication
fun work place that makes you feel like your part of a family fighting cancer.
Outreach Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 11, 2018
Typical day at work was calling schools and raising funds for the Student Series campaign. The culture was wonderful, community and family like. This was truly the best job have ever had.
Pros
raised money to fight cancer, great opportunity to give back
Cons
job ended on conract
Gives you something for you resume
Fundraiser Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 10, 2018
I mainly did this to help a family member but it also is a great way to build stock in your resume. Just a garage sale but the knowledge that you are helping someone in need is amazing.

Want to know more about Leukemia & Lymphoma Society?

Ask a question
Outreach Assistant
Outreach Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJune 8, 2018
This job is only available during the school year and it was simple. This job is good for someone who prefers a desk job in a quiet office. Personally it was a little too slow for me but the company was wonderful. Great second job.
Welcoming Community
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Natick, MAJune 6, 2018
Thoroughly enjoyed my experience volunteering here. I felt very appreciated for the work that I did. Everyone is very welcoming and makes it easy to look forward to the work day.
Remote position vs in the officw
Engagement Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 15, 2018
During my time in the office I enjoyed a fast paced season during each campaign with a slow paced time to relax in between. There is room for promotions and growth, however there is also quit a bit of office politics and bureaucracy to wade through. I was promoted to a remote position, which has had its own struggles. There doesn’t seem to be much room for growth, but benefits are good and my managers and coworkers are wonderful!
Pros
Work from home
Cons
No real room for growth
Productive and fun work place
Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 11, 2018
Great place to work. Good people, fun environment. Everyone is willing to help. I had a wonderful manager. Could always count on people. Caring and friendly place.
Excellent
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 8, 2018
Excellent group of people with whom to interact! Worthwhile organization. Employees are enthusiastic about working to "make someday today!" Very encouraging and engaged.
LLS was a wonderful company to work for.
Office Manager/Bookkeeper/Board Liaison (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 7, 2018
My employment at LLS was fulfilling, challenging and provided an overall purpose within the workplace. The hardest part of the job was the possibility of a leukemia patient losing their battle with cancer.
Pros
Paid time off
not a good place to work-hostile environment
Campaign Manager (Former Employee) –  New MexicoMay 7, 2018
local nm chapter has very poor leadership, lack of on boarding, training and support system. constantly working in silo, only hearing from the national organization if you are in the 1% . if you are comfortable with lack of leadership,lack of ED accountability, unreasonable expectation (125% growth year over year) then LLS is the place for you.
Pros
gas milage
Cons
read review
Great Upper Management, Poor on Local Level
Campaign Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 30, 2018
LLS has a great national office. Unfortunately, local managers don't follow what is handed to them by National and will make decisions on their own, subsequently hurting their employees. In my local chapter, there was a TON of turnover in just 16 months - I'm talking a full office of about 13 full time employees, and we had about 6 positions turnover in just 16 months, including myself who is leaving in May of 2018.
Pros
Good office culture, good upper management
Cons
Terrible local management, too many entitled local managers.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 28, 2018
Great organization. Plenty of ways to be involved. Exists in almost every city. Well run and enthusiastic team. it is rewarding to work for an organization with such a great cause.
LLS is a great organization to work for!
Patient Services Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 23, 2018
I worked there for almost 16 years! They put the donations to research and the mission and really make a difference in the lives of blood cancer patients.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.4Fairygodboss Score

86%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

88%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss