Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Employee Reviews

Corporate Development
Senior Director (Current Employee) –  Stamford, CTJuly 14, 2018
LLS is a top flight organization comprised of highly committed folks who really want to make a difference. I truly enjoy the work that I do and I am so impressed with the volunteer patients and families that rally behind this vital cause to find cures for blood cancers and improve the lives of patients and families
Buena experiencia laboral en el extrangero
Asistente del departamento de Eventos Especiales (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 3, 2018
El equipo de trabajo me recibió de la mejor manera posible, estuve ahí un periodo aproximado de 5 meses y aprendí bastante de esta asociación. Tuve la oportunidad de aprender como desenvolverme en un ambiente laboral en la ciudad de Nueva York.
horrible office plitics
mgr (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2018
They treat volunteers horribly and are not organized. There is a lot of office politics locally at the various chapter and nationally. There is constant change on how to do things - new computer systems, new policies, new logos, new procedures, new names for the programs and campaigns, and it is presented very haphazardly. It confuses the public. Most of the money raised goes to fundraising expenses and there are high salaries of people in the New York office. They don't pay the program or campaign staff enough money to stay for very long. ALOT of staff turnover in every chapter- which says a lot about the company. There are too many layers of management telling the staff what to do. They waste money flying them in and out of the various states and chapters. Not a pleasant working environment - long hours and no work-life balance. They don't fill staff openings with any sense of urgency, so the other staff have to pick up the pieces of the job. They don't have a good reputation in the community like so another charitable non-profit organization. They fire people on hearsay. A lot of the top staff came form the Heart Association and the American Diabetes Association letting them go. The LLS is full of dysfunction - the team in training program is confusing. They used to have staff that assisted patients - but they eliminated them so patients have to call toll free number to get help. it is all about the fundraising - not about the patients. They don't have a good rating with Charity Navigator, BBB or Guide Star because of how much overhead and admin expenses they have for  more... raising funds  less
Pros
cancer reserach
Cons
low pay - high stress - poor communication
fun work place that makes you feel like your part of a family fighting cancer.
Outreach Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 11, 2018
Typical day at work was calling schools and raising funds for the Student Series campaign. The culture was wonderful, community and family like. This was truly the best job have ever had.
Pros
raised money to fight cancer, great opportunity to give back
Cons
job ended on conract
Gives you something for you resume
Fundraiser Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 10, 2018
I mainly did this to help a family member but it also is a great way to build stock in your resume. Just a garage sale but the knowledge that you are helping someone in need is amazing.
Welcoming Community
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Natick, MAJune 6, 2018
Thoroughly enjoyed my experience volunteering here. I felt very appreciated for the work that I did. Everyone is very welcoming and makes it easy to look forward to the work day.
Remote position vs in the officw
Engagement Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 15, 2018
During my time in the office I enjoyed a fast paced season during each campaign with a slow paced time to relax in between. There is room for promotions and growth, however there is also quit a bit of office politics and bureaucracy to wade through. I was promoted to a remote position, which has had its own struggles. There doesn’t seem to be much room for growth, but benefits are good and my managers and coworkers are wonderful!
Pros
Work from home
Cons
No real room for growth
Productive and fun work place
Development Intern (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 11, 2018
Great place to work. Good people, fun environment. Everyone is willing to help. I had a wonderful manager. Could always count on people. Caring and friendly place.
Excellent
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 8, 2018
Excellent group of people with whom to interact! Worthwhile organization. Employees are enthusiastic about working to "make someday today!" Very encouraging and engaged.
LLS was a wonderful company to work for.
Office Manager/Bookkeeper/Board Liaison (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSMay 7, 2018
My employment at LLS was fulfilling, challenging and provided an overall purpose within the workplace. The hardest part of the job was the possibility of a leukemia patient losing their battle with cancer.
Pros
Paid time off
not a good place to work-hostile environment
Campaign Manager (Former Employee) –  New MexicoMay 7, 2018
local nm chapter has very poor leadership, lack of on boarding, training and support system. constantly working in silo, only hearing from the national organization if you are in the 1% . if you are comfortable with lack of leadership,lack of ED accountability, unreasonable expectation (125% growth year over year) then LLS is the place for you.
Pros
gas milage
Cons
read review
Great Upper Management, Poor on Local Level
Campaign Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 30, 2018
LLS has a great national office. Unfortunately, local managers don't follow what is handed to them by National and will make decisions on their own, subsequently hurting their employees. In my local chapter, there was a TON of turnover in just 16 months - I'm talking a full office of about 13 full time employees, and we had about 6 positions turnover in just 16 months, including myself who is leaving in May of 2018.
Pros
Good office culture, good upper management
Cons
Terrible local management, too many entitled local managers.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 28, 2018
Great organization. Plenty of ways to be involved. Exists in almost every city. Well run and enthusiastic team. it is rewarding to work for an organization with such a great cause.
LLS is a great organization to work for!
Patient Services Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 23, 2018
I worked there for almost 16 years! They put the donations to research and the mission and really make a difference in the lives of blood cancer patients.
Interesting work. Great staff and volunteers.
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 20, 2018
A great place to work with excellent benefits and a terrific staff and dedicated team of volunteers. The work was made worthwhile because of the people - patients included.
Pros
All aspects
Cons
Make a difference for everyone else
Campaign Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 17, 2018
While I found the work at LLS very rewarding because I felt like I was helping cancer patients, employees should not be in a position to support their families or patients. In the case of LLS, they wanted the employee to find that helping others was enough, even if you did not make enough to feed your families, did not make overtime, and went for years without a raise all for the sake of the mission. I stuck around for the patients, but eventually, I had to choose my family over the patients and mission which is sad.
Management was terrible
Light The Night Walk Campaign Manager (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 9, 2018
We were all over worked, under paid and under appreciated by the ED. It was a great place to work and I loved my job until the new ED was promoted. Not caring and only thought about herself. After her being there just 1 year the whole staff has turned over.
Im a volunteer
Site Lead and Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 6, 2018
It accomplishes great things. I appreciate the work they do. I wish more people would donate their time for one weekend. It's a great experience to have and share.
Great mission
Outreach Assistant (Former Employee) –  San AntonioApril 3, 2018
This organization is extremely close to my heart. It is worth it to apply for a staffing position. You have to be on your toes and keep a strong work ethic.
Enjoyable part of the Job
Volunteer and Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 2, 2018
I enjoyed the people working at LLS and they made the experience fun, which made it a better work place. I work with the advertising branch and I was able to meet many professional characters from the medical and research fields.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.7Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss