Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Employee Reviews

Remote position vs in the officw
Engagement Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 15, 2018
During my time in the office I enjoyed a fast paced season during each campaign with a slow paced time to relax in between. There is room for promotions and growth, however there is also quit a bit of office politics and bureaucracy to wade through. I was promoted to a remote position, which has had its own struggles. There doesn’t seem to be much room for growth, but benefits are good and my managers and coworkers are wonderful!
Pros
Work from home
Cons
No real room for growth
fun work place that makes you feel like your part of a family fighting cancer.
Outreach Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJune 11, 2018
Typical day at work was calling schools and raising funds for the Student Series campaign. The culture was wonderful, community and family like. This was truly the best job have ever had.
Pros
raised money to fight cancer, great opportunity to give back
Cons
job ended on conract
horrible office plitics
mgr (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 13, 2018
They treat volunteers horribly and are not organized. There is a lot of office politics locally at the various chapter and nationally. There is constant change on how to do things - new computer systems, new policies, new logos, new procedures, new names for the programs and campaigns, and it is presented very haphazardly. It confuses the public. Most of the money raised goes to fundraising expenses and there are high salaries of people in the New York office. They don't pay the program or campaign staff enough money to stay for very long. ALOT of staff turnover in every chapter- which says a lot about the company. There are too many layers of management telling the staff what to do. They waste money flying them in and out of the various states and chapters. Not a pleasant working environment - long hours and no work-life balance. They don't fill staff openings with any sense of urgency, so the other staff have to pick up the pieces of the job. They don't have a good reputation in the community like so another charitable non-profit organization. They fire people on hearsay. A lot of the top staff came form the Heart Association and the American Diabetes Association letting them go. The LLS is full of dysfunction - the team in training program is confusing. They used to have staff that assisted patients - but they eliminated them so patients have to call toll free number to get help. it is all about the fundraising - not about the patients. They don't have a good rating with Charity Navigator, BBB or Guide Star because of how much overhead and admin expenses they have for  more... raising funds  less
Pros
cancer reserach
Cons
low pay - high stress - poor communication
There was no room for development
Big Climb Philly Intern (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 19, 2018
As an intern, a typical work day would be primarily to call and email participants and welcome them to the event. Calling and emailing participants took up 70% of my day. The other 30% would be to create new branding content to add in the emails that were ways to entice participation, make/email participants social media graphics to promote donations, mail participants promotion product of the company, and other small tasks.
Great Upper Management, Poor on Local Level
Campaign Specialist (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAApril 30, 2018
LLS has a great national office. Unfortunately, local managers don't follow what is handed to them by National and will make decisions on their own, subsequently hurting their employees. In my local chapter, there was a TON of turnover in just 16 months - I'm talking a full office of about 13 full time employees, and we had about 6 positions turnover in just 16 months, including myself who is leaving in May of 2018.
Pros
Good office culture, good upper management
Cons
Terrible local management, too many entitled local managers.
The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's mission is amazing
Campaign Specialist (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIOctober 30, 2018
As a part time temporary employee it is difficult to pin point my exact role in the organization. There are many things I have my hand in but would not be opposed to a more strait forward position with set challenges and goals.
Pros
A fantastic mission
Cons
No benefits
I never worked for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Dialamerica Marketing (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 24, 2018
I never worked for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I use to sell magazines subscriptions through DialAmerica Marketing to raise money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society,
Make a difference for everyone else
Campaign Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMApril 17, 2018
While I found the work at LLS very rewarding because I felt like I was helping cancer patients, employees should not be in a position to support their families or patients. In the case of LLS, they wanted the employee to find that helping others was enough, even if you did not make enough to feed your families, did not make overtime, and went for years without a raise all for the sake of the mission. I stuck around for the patients, but eventually, I had to choose my family over the patients and mission which is sad.
Little to no advancement.
Help Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYJuly 24, 2018
Poor Help Desk management.
Little to no career advancement.
Little to no positive feedback from management.
It inter-departmental communications are almost no-existent.
Wonderful cause, great colleagues
CAMPAIGN MANAGER, (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 2, 2018
Supportive colleagues, passionate about the cause of saving lives and ending blood cancer. People work very hard and have great integrity. National organization is big on accountability and results-driven. Salaries lag behind cost of living depending on where you work. Have experienced top-down management from national restricting local ability to adapt to market conditions.
Pros
Supportive colleagues, collaboration encouraged
Cons
Lower salary than similar organizations, increased top down management restricting local autonomy.
Hard work for a worthwhile cause
Campaign Services Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 19, 2018
If you're interested in working at The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, some good things to know are:

- It's a lot of work for only a little bit of pay (like many nonprofits).
- Some departments have more job stability in others.
- You'll learn a lot and will likely work with wonderful people, and will get sucked into the mission, sometimes to a fault.
- You need to be hard working and mission-driven to succeed

Overall, I'm really glad I worked there for 3 1/2 years but am also really glad that I'm moving on now.
Fun Place to work
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 30, 2018
Very educational, learned how to be a guest speaker. Management was great. Hardest part is too see a patient going thru cancer treatment. Getting to know people was the most pleasing.
Pros
Best place to volunteer
Leukemia is a great place to work , very comfortable environment
Facilities Director (Current Employee) –  Rye Brook, NYMarch 25, 2018
Leukemia is a very comfortable place to work at and feels like family it is a very laid back office environment, and the great thing about the company is we fight to help others
Pros
Great vacation breaks .
Cons
Lack of raises
Great Experience
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Red Hook, NYJanuary 13, 2018
I was a team in training athlete and raised over $15,000 collectively for LLS.

The experiences were amazing, knowing you were helping others. Over the years the experience changed in the "team" portion of the training groups due to redistricting of regions and added benefits fundraisers get for their participation... this was disappointing but, since the mission is so important it was a small issue that didn't prevent participation.
Productive, Active, Busy
Campaign Assistant, Special Events (Current Employee) –  Independence, OHAugust 6, 2018
My time at the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society has been nothing short of amazing. I have learned so much in the two years I have been here. Learning to have such an attention to detail has really helped outside the office as well. The work environment is great and the people here are one of a kind everyone is always there to help with every campaign.
Pros
Time Off, Great Work Atmosphere
Cons
Pay
Excellent Temp Experience
Event Marketing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Melville, NYDecember 3, 2018
I have loved my time as a campaign assistant here at LLS, working on various campaigns and utilizing my event marketing, design, and logistics experiences
Pros
Heartwarming experiences
Nurturing environment with warmhearted staff
Finance & Operations Intern (Current Employee) –  61 Broadway, Suite 400, New York, NY 10006November 17, 2017
I was hired as an intern in the Finance & Operations department and was immediately welcomed by a stellar and hard-working manager, Shirley Mei, who was patient, caring and encouraging. The office exhibits the utmost professional culture woven with a serene vibe and flexibility. The staff is fun and inviting, management is outstanding, office and its location is superb, culture is kind and cheerful.
Pros
Invaluable experience available to obtain, office culture
Consultant position
Consultant for Open Travel & Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLNovember 24, 2018
Fund raising job that was enjoyable because you met many people.
I have been involved in fund raising through my church for years, so this was an easy placement
Internship
Intern (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 8, 2018
I was an intern and loved LLS. They were very focused on their mission in terms of raising funds, spreading their mission, and positively helping impact patients lives through multiple ways,
Lls
Senior Campaign Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 18, 2017
Workplace culture in the Austin office is relatively laidback and it is a collaborative team environment. Management could use some work from the top alll the way down. I learned a great deal about fundraising, marketing, building relationships with donors and sponsors, sales, etc. The schedule can be overwhelming during campaign season and there is not always a great work/life balance from Jan-June. It can be high stress at times.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.4Fairygodboss Score

86%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

88%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss