Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden Employee Reviews

Outdoor, teamwork environment
Horticulture Research Intern (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 11, 2017
A relaxed, teamwork environment in which I regularly get to learn and experience new things. We spend most of our time outdoors helping to maintain the gardens and assist guests. The work can be tiring, but supervisors are always looking out for staff and we are given regular help. Become educated on species identification, appropriate planting and mulching techniques, landscape management, ecosystem services, etc.
Pros
Beautiful environment, fun staff
Cons
Hot summers outdoors
Lewis Ginter Security
Security (Current Employee) –  Henrico County, VAJanuary 7, 2017
Everyday starts the same you clock in and help get things ready, like checking the transportation making sure everything work,s and checking lights in the parking lot to help prevent crime. Working here I have learned independence, community relations and public safety. The management here are a great bunch of people they help you when you need it and allow you to be independent. The team I work with are good people with all sorts of backgrounds and help teach you in this job. Theres nothing really I can say is hard about this job I enjoy and have not had any problems. Best part is helping others.
Hard work, low pay
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakeside, VAFebruary 17, 2016
While management does care about the happiness and livelihood of their employees, little can be said about the compensation they provide. The healthcare is great but the pay is very low for just about any position. Employees can expect a mere 2% raise every 2-3 years and even that must be approved by the board. Management expects employees to work their fingers to the bone but provides little to no accommodations to make up for it. At the end of the year your body will be broken and so will your bank account. It is a nonprofit with one location and a small staff so not a lot can be expected but if you are waiting to be promoted or even to advance at all... keep dreaming. There are very few open positions at any given time and there is hardly a position above your level that will ever even exist. The garden itself is beautiful and how they operate as a local/nonprofit business is wonderful but, for most people, you still need to look out for yourself and the garden simply doesn't provide enough to sustain you for very long.
Pros
Healthcare, nice environment
Cons
low wages, little to no overtime, no room for advancement, minimal raises
Excellent!
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 9, 2014
Excellent place to volunteer. Very nice culture and people to work with. Not to mention the beautiful landscapes.