LG Chem
Happiness rating is 49 out of 100

Working at LG Chem in Holland, MI: Employee Reviews

Holland, MI108 reviews

Bad communication but steady work.

Each part of the factory doesn't talk with each other, causing issues with inventory management, supplies and workload, since each section can only do work assuming each other section is doing decently. There will always be something to do, if it's slow, they'll hand you some cleaning supplies and paper towels and tell you to clean the floor. Machines break down all the time. If you suggest a fix, they'll try a dozen different ways before they try yours, and if it works, it was their idea all along. This happens with management, IT, and seemingly all over. I dreaded going into work because it felt like there was never a good day, just a less bad one.

I don't know what these people are griping about, I actually enjoy it immensely.

Let's see... I work 8.5 a day with OT every other weekend (Sunday is double time), I get an 8% shift premium, excellent benefits, a clean and climate controlled environment 365, a lunchroom with a hot food cafeteria (if you get a position within walking distance), 401k match, $20k a year in tuition to become a better or more skilled person (which looks real good come review time), free EV charging if you have one, a new child care benefit for 40% off, the best BCBS family medical plan is less than $38 a week, dental and vision are free, three weeks of paid vacation from the start, and to top it off they actually pay me pretty well and I've seen how far I can yet push it on a pay chart. I'm sorry that it seems that many of these people are seemingly stuck working the line somewhere but what are they doing to set themselves up for the future? $20k a year goes a long way at a trade school and that's when you stop worrying about what the minimum wage this place pays is and step up to the next level or two. The short answer is that this place is an uncut gem ripe with opportunities aplenty for the right motivated individual. Oh, and I think all open positions have a retention bonus paid out at 90 and 180 days of up to $4k for skilled positions (see, it pays off again to know something useful). Good luck!

LG Chem insights

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Time and location flexibility

Terrible

I have never worked for a company so bad, management is absolutely terrible for formation team, the constantly pick on people who are doing their job to see if they will “last”.

Pros

3 breaks

Don't be deceived

This place was a joke. Orientation made it sound like it was a great company. Management sucked as well as the hours. Body hurt due to uncomfortable shoes which they made you wear. You're just another body. No communication whatsoever. Horrible place.

Benefits

Cons

Management, hours, lack of communication

Wouldn't recommend

Started out good, but then quickly did a 180. There was no 90 day raise and where expected to keep up in different programming systems. Which they changed every few weeks or so. Management treated employees poorly. Expecting employees to drop what ever we where doing. Wouldn't be bad if you're single with no family, pets or any outside activities or Hobbie. I wouldn't recommend working here.

Pros

Started the 1st month free lunch but then they stoped.

Cons

Short breaks, steet money from its employees

Clean

Clean Place to work. Enjoyed Working Here. People are cool. But hours are long. 8 Plus Hrs a Day & 7 days a Week. COVID Procedure here Sucks. If your Sick They Take PTO From You.

Pros

Lunch Room / Good pay

Cons

Same job everyday

Fast paced and demanding

You are treated like a robot. Very fast paced. Standing the entire time, hands and fingers will be ready to fall off. No music, food or drinks. I would not work here again.

Worked to death

They will lie to you to get you in the door. Hours constantly changing. Work every single weekend atleast 8 hours. They say they’re working on making overtime better but really they’re just setting things up to be able to force more overtime. They even threaten to fire you for using your given vacation time.

Pros

Coworkers aren’t terrible for the most part

Cons

Everything.

24 hours a day 7 days a week

Good company to work for if you like the money. Also they do a great tuition reimbursement plan if you want to further your education. Supervisor are pretty good understanding personal problems.

Pros

Good pay, vacation, tuition reimbursement

Cons

People quit

Flexible schedule, free dental & vision.

The pay is decent depending on your shift & if you get a premium, but I feel it could be more for the long hours you work & due to the constant increase of cost of living (especially in Holland) & constant changes that you have to adjust to. The medical benefits are decent, paid dental & vision is a plus. Being a full time hired in employee, also while working through the pandemic they could provided more PTO hours. It’s alright, not an ideal career for me but it pays the bills. Schedule is also very flexible which I like. Working 12 hrs (11.5) 3 days on, 2 days off, then 2 days on, 3 days off is very convenient.

Pros

Days off

Cons

A lot

Negative

Negative negative nothing positive to report about this company. Unfair! No reward for hard work! Drug users/addicted people.Work in that environment. If you are well like no matter what skill or education you will have a job period. And if you think I’m bitter we’ll just get a job there. Form your own opinion if things go well for you then I was right. Then if they go wrong then I was right..... Again

Pros

Nothing positive

Cons

All negative

Productive. Can be fast paced. No work/life balance.

Its a good place to work at for the most part. Good pay and the work is easy for the most part. The only downside is you wont have a life anymore on account that its currently 12 hour days 7 days a week with no end end in sight. You maybe get a day off or weekend off here an there but its rare these days and they can cancel and make you work last minute. You wont know if you have a weekend off until Friday so you cant plan anything. You'll have to burn through PTO hours just to get a day off at times. Good money though.

Pros

Good Pay, Easy Work

Cons

Long Days. 12 hours 7 days a week.

Pay, hours, work life balance

If you do not want a life anymore, work at LG. You will be on call 24/7, be paid the same amount as some operators on an annual basis, and get treated poorly. I do not recommend this company to anyone. I worked 16-20 hour work days and did not get paid extra for being on call. Your entire life will be gone if you work for this company. There is no way to move up in the company because there are korean managers on a contract from Korea. This is by far the worst company I have ever worked for in my life.

Cons

No on call pay, no overtime compensation, no growth, no work/life balance

Would not advise working there.

Poorly managed. Not worker friendly. Mandatory work hours are 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. Benefits are only earned based on a 40 hour work-week even though mandatory 80+ hours a week have been in effect for over 6 months. Would not advise working there.

No opportunity

Management can hold you back. If they don't wanna loose you to another department they can say no. Human resources is very hands off. If you make a complaint about someone they actually sit you and that person down together to have a discussion. Can be told Friday your working the weekend. Can be told day before a holiday your working it. After all the higher ups left the company it went down hill bad.

Step back in time at LG CHEM

The material management is stuck in 1950. This is the absolute worst place I’ve ever worked. We stack dangerous chemicals sky high in a storage facility right behind the wall from workers who have no idea. If you say anything you’ll be fired! The electrode scraps are thrown outside in violation of several DEQ rules and safety is a ridiculous concept. Production at all costs!!! Most of what is made is scrap.

Pros

Lunch used to be free

Cons

Dangerous conditions. Fear of being fired

Fun place to work

It's a good paying job, but the management is terrible. They will make you work 12s hours day with no days off and it will months. Supervisor with get mad just for taking vacation days.

Pros

Pay is decent.

Cons

Management is terrible

Good money, awful management

There is a cafeteria but food is pricey. Company is pretty clean overall. The money is the best part, but you will be working pretty much every single day.

Pros

Music, Money, Cafeteria

Cons

Management, Culture

Benefits are decent. HR improved over last year

Having worked here 3+ years there are positives and negatives. I have seen at least 3 people who were good, very valuable, hard working employees get let go. It is hard for any American or Woman to advance; which is sad as there is potential in many American woman. I have seen dedicated Male engineers that have worked over 4 years and still are an Engineer I, I think there is favoritism. HR has improved tremendously but I am terrified who on our team will be next to be let go.

Pros

Clean environment, 4 weeks PTO

Cons

Favortism, no room for advancement, terrified of job loss

Just a bad and mismanaged company

Look for a job elsewhere any place is better. This place does not care about anyone much less their families. It’s hard to get vacation or PTO and if you do they act like their doing you a favor. They have a protocol for COVID-19 and when followed it may risk your employment. The would rather have you lie and put others in jeopardy and the families of employees that might be exposed.

Bad managment

Management is a bunch of yes men. People get fired for standing up for what is right and standing up for the people that work with them. State minimum breaks, required to wear a suit in a dry room without access to water. Breaks are regulated and watched. Punchout for lunch. They promised two weeks vacation after 90 days, I got 40 hours pto. Which they make you use if you are sick. Constantly changing start times. Too many process alerts. Language barrier for people that are working on your machines. And there is usually 5 to 10 different people messing with your machine throughout the day. Machines never run right. When management doesn't have a plan. You get the lucky privilege of being there 12 hours+ per day soaking your hand in acetone or alcohol and cleaning the machine you cleaned the day before and that night shift cleaned before you. They say they have a great college program. But if you need in person classes, they will not work with you. Rotating 12 hour shifrs mean you can't work consistant days each week.

Pros

7 days off every two weeks

Cons

Short breaks, bad management, no communication

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LG Chem. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.4 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits