Liberty Mutual Insurance

Liberty Mutual Insurance Employee Reviews

Found 4,410 reviews matching the search
Featured review
Liberty Mutual Insurance selected this as a representative review
From the very beginning this company provides excellent training, great benefits and pay. The job is rewarding and they truly care about their employees. I no longer work there but would consider it again if I decided to go back down that career path. A great place for someone who wants a great entry level experience in the insurance field.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
The company in general is good to work for but favoritism is everywhere and is valued over someone who has performed at a higher level. D&I is a big push and that is definitely something that was needed.
Cons
Nepotism
High stress, toxic corporate culture with little to no work life balance. Be prepared for everchanging duties with subpar training. Advancement is available to those who aren't necessarily qualified, but are instead in the good graces of managers. Metrics and workloads are unrealistic forcing many to work off the clock.
Pros
Above average pay
Cons
Too many to list
The pay is good. But the salary is a trap. Once you get sick of Liberty’s dysfunction (and you will), it will be hard to go somewhere else and take a pay cut.
Pros
Decent pay scale
Cons
Toxic management, dysfunctional corporate culture, employees aren’t valued, high turnover, retaliation if you speak up, management ignores feedback, company operates like it’s 1970.
Life home balance is not good. Unreasonable expectations. Hard to advance. Managers are not on the same page and communication is poor. Pay is good and you do receive bonuses based on your yearly evaluation.
Pros
Pays well and bonuses
Cons
Heathcare is expensive and not great, work life balance is nonexistent
Care to share?
Help people considering your employer. Share your experience.
I was 1 of 7 new hires brought on virtually for the first time in the companies history. All of us are no longer with the company and here’s why.. The first few months during training I felt that I had found the last company I would ever work for. It was when the training ended I realized I wouldn’t be at the company for long. Everything my group and I learned in training changed once we went live. The metrics us new hires were expected to maintain we’re not realistic. Once we went live it was basically either sink or swim. 2 weeks after training we were ramped up to the same caseload a seasoned adjuster would have. Mind you, we were learning a whole new career ALONE AT HOME. Getting help and finding answers to questions was always a challenge. Before my supervisor was fired that individual advised my teammates not to help me or any other new hires since it could adversely effect their metrics. This is already a stressful job and when you mix in what I mentioned above it becomes mentally draining. You will find yourself losing sleep and becoming miserable in your off time. Liberty would be an amazing company to work for if they weren’t so focused on the metrics.
Pros
Working from home
Cons
Unrealistic expectations & stressful
Emotional fatigue is common, over surplus of call volume, high turn over rate, liberty mutual wants you to be empathetic and also creating an environment of hurrying a customer off a phone so individuals can meet metrics that can harm then when calls are taking to long. So be short and empathetic which is not genuine service
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Almost everything is a con, up hill battle consistently
I started off in the claims call center which was ok except they're be some crazy calls and a lot of people don't understand their coverage and when they're in an accident is not the time to learn they don't have the coverage they thought. I moved to a senior Claims role and the work volume is awful but the benefits helped at first but 5 years of constant heavy volume can wear on you. I have been able to have 2 children while employed there with minimal debt. they have awesome maternity leave but once you're back you're put right back into the thick of it. There is also a lot of politics so best to keep your head down and work because if you try to point out issues it can backfire. Its a great company but be prepared for burnout.
Pros
Benefits and insurance, coworkers
Cons
Heavy work load, lots of micromanagement
Liberty has high expectations for its employees but treats everyone with respect. They also do great philanthropic work in the US and abroad. They have been very flexible during the pandemic.
Pros
Great people, great leadership
Cons
Salaried employees may need to work more than 40 hrs per week to get the job done
I love my job and my coworkers. Highly recommended. Good benefits, opertunities, pay, and a great pto(fto) compensation. I'll be here for a while for sure.
LOVE the CEO! His care for employees is genuine but the trickle down is not always felt from other Executives. Also, understanding the scope of their departments, it was irritating that after 10 years I still encountered management who didn't know my department existed.
Pros
Inclusive, accepting, compensation, benefits, flexibility
Cons
lack of advancement if you are good at your job, speed in implementing crucial workflows
I was making very good money until the cancels stack up. Definitely difficult to deal with chargebacks as a top performer. Was nice for a while. I liked the supervisors.
Fortune 100 Company with lots opportunity for employees to grow and chart their own careers. Many work from home opportunities. Excellent benefits.
Pros
Strong Work Life Balance for Hourly Employees
Cons
Communication and processes changes without consideration of frontline.
They train you and get you licensed to be an insurance agent. The call center is fast paced, and very structured. You will be sitting all shift, and on the phone.
Pros
Paid training, great benefits
My review of Liberty Mutual from Information Technology perspective. It is great company overall, very stable from an employed vs becoming unemployed perspective. It has great flexibility for working, wide variety of technologies and an insane amount of systems which we are constantly trying to modernize/improve. It's a very large IT shop with global segmentations, which provides opportunities to move around but also can be a constraint when trying to get things done.
Pros
401K match, pay, flexibility, lots of modern technologies being used
Cons
large company, dept changes every couple years, takes awhile to make things happen in most areas
Liberty used to be a great company with opportunity and encouragement. Gone are the days where you could confidently challenge the status quo. Your job security is determined by how much the team manager likes you or not, performance results are skewed and attempts to have them corrected fall on deaf ears. Favoritism is rampant, bias is everywhere.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Information, favoritism, unethical, systems
Not a place for advancement. High school guidelines. Ridged work environment horrible incentives. When I was there there was a policy set in place that you could not walk to the fax machine you had to wait until someone brought it to you. They gave out wooden coins to collect for extra minutes off.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Heavy work load
Working at Liberty Mutual is second to none. The work in risk control services is very rewarding. The support received by management is extremely positive and the expertise of the field teams are outstanding.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Travel
The pay is good and the WFH flexibility are both huge pluses working for this company. However, the workloads are absurd and the job continues to morph into having more and more responsibilities. It has become increasingly difficult to balance the workloads and all the expectations of the job - and STRESSFUL. Management is ok and the people who work here are all very nice and friendly. Overall, the job itself is pretty dead end.
Pros
WFH flexibility
Cons
Workloads
LMIC is a good place to work and provides ample support in order for attorneys to accomplish their jobs. Flexible schedules; good work-life balance; good technology and work from home set up.
Comp plan is revised annually, including base pay. 2021 sales rep base salary was adjusted according to tenure, lowering newer agent's base salary by approximately 48% compared to 2020.On-boarding training focuses on value-based selling techniques and to convey the benefits of having a personal local agent. For practicality, agents primarily refer customer's ongoing needs to the customer service department because the position requires sales reps to focus on closing new business. This company expectation is reinforced by management and in the comp plan, including limiting residual income to approximately 1% of annual premiums.There is no company training program to learn the complex proprietary sales platform that is absolutely critical to the job. Sales platform training occurs on-the-job via trial and error, and by asking co-workers for assistance, which infringes on the team's earning potential.Only preferred customers (referred to as the top 10%) receive competitive pricing, greatly limiting sales opportunities and the ability to meet weekly sales quotas. This may be a good business model to insulate the company from risk, but the comp plan is not adjusted to reflect the limitations imposed by the company's narrow appetite.Liberty Mutual attempts to offset it's narrow appetite by providing agents access to partner carriers, like Progressive and Travelers, which helps agents retain some clients. However, it takes a couple months for agents to receive the commission, the partner-bridging platform requires a duplication of work, and the system can be quite time consuming, - more...
Pros
Heavy advertising, base salary, good benefits, comfortable work environment
Cons
Base pay and comp plan changes annually, unrealistic workload/quotas, not price competitive