Play YouTube video button

Liberty Mutual Employee Reviews

Found 3,016 reviews matching the search See all 3,052 reviews
Featured review
Liberty Mutual selected this as a representative review
Great Place to Work!
Insurance Advisor (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXOctober 25, 2018
Liberty Mutual is a great place to work. It has lots of advancement opportunities and is a great place for growth and benefits! Work-Life balance is definitely a plus!
Well-intentional leadership that doesn't fulfil on their promices
Manager (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsOctober 8, 2018
Positive:
Liberty Mutual employs exceptionally smart and capable people with a promise for advancement. It has great policies that allow employees maintain a good work/life balance. Compensation packages, especially starting at management levels, are competitive. Negative:
Advancement opportunities are often limited by one's business unit, hence a promise for promotion is hard to realize. Leadership, while having good intentions, is easily distracted with new "shiny objects" and tends to forget their promises. In the last few years, the company has been going through a series of non-stop re-organizations which resulted in layoffs, constant structural changes, new department names and, as a result, a lot of confusion among employees.
DO NOT WORK HERE - manage by fear, no raises, new employees make more than long standing employees
Auto Claims Customer Representative (Current Employee) –  Latham, NYNovember 7, 2018

I REPEAT DO NOT WORK HERE - actually it's not bad for a year or so because you will be making more money than the current employees.
They do not take in cost of living or industry standards for current employees.

Management is very rough and disconnected from the job and employees. They manage by fear.
The caseload is extremely unmanageable not to mention they preach customer service but take advantage of their customers all the time.
They also give you flack if you try to use your PTO time and take time off.

DO NOT INSURE WITH THIS COMPANY EITHER.
Pros
Cons
Fear management, extremely high case load, no raises, inadequate pay per the industry standards, the list goes on
Great company, best training
Senior Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Elmsford, NYOctober 17, 2018
Work was very intense, routinely working 10-11 hours per day in order to keep up with case load and metrics that company relied upon. Training program is the best in the industry. They invest a great deal in each employee. Management was very good, often working their way up through the company. This shows that the company is vested in you, and eager to see you move through the ranks. There was competition between teams, but not to the point of being detrimental to performance. Hardest part of the job was hitting the company imposed metrics of claims handling. Best part of the job were the people-truly wonderful coworkers. I would have stayed for years had I been allowed to telecommute full time.
Pros
Good salary, bonus opportunity, great people
Great benefits, but....
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, ILOctober 11, 2018
In general, this is a good company with nice pay and benefits. A typical day is very stressful dealing with policyholders and claimants. The surveys that are sent out to PH's hold too much weight on your performance, pay raises, and bonuses and don't accurately reflect your performance. The claims volume is simply unrealistic and drives in a high numbers of phone calls, voicemails, and emails. Proper training is provided and management is nice. Coworkers are great. This would be an AMAZING job if they'd just realize they are placing too much stress on their employees with the overwhelming amount of claims.
Pros
Great benefits, pay, and FTO time.
Cons
Stressful enviornment, claims volume.
Mixed feelings
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Dover, NHNovember 20, 2018
I've been with Liberty for 8 years. Since I started I've had 6 managers and getting ant 7th one soon. I've been to several different teams and in some I've worked 60 hrs a week and being on-call 24/7, others I barely had anything to do.

Flex time and work from home are an option (depending on the manager) which is great. Unfortunately some managers will think you are a slacker if you WFH one day, but then might have a team member that doesn't do anything and look the other way.

Soooo many lay offs and re-orgs in the past few years. It's just ridiculous. Make up your mind already. I feel like my job/position is safe, but most people wake up and go to sleep everyday thinking they'll be next.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Terrible management, constant re-orgs
Great job opportunities, culture is stressful.
Commercial Auto Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 4, 2018
It was a great job to learn and experience, however, there seemed to be a culture of favoritism, and some of the employees would resort to questionable behavior whenever a good job opportunity opened up, and many people were gunning for the job. Management did not seem to connect with the "human" side of their employees and the environment of the people in management felt indifferent. The training program was excellent, and the software, job streamline, and resources were amazing. The management had people in leadership roles who really did not belong in their role, and that experience put a damper on my time there.
Pros
Great job experience, opportunities, benefits.
Cons
Questionable people in leadership roles.
It is still a great company to work for, even though I'm being laid off.
IT Help Desk Technician (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 10, 2018
Even though I'm being laid off due to a reorganization, I feel Liberty Mutual is an excellent company to work for. They have great benefits in general, and the most generous education benefits I've ever heard of outside of a college. And my severance is pretty generous for a mid-level non-management employee. They try their best to live up to their motto of doing the right thing, while still being a successful and profitable company, of course. One wouldn't normally think of an insurance company as being a committed technological innovator, but Liberty Mutual is. About the only downside is that turnover is often low so advancement opportunities aren't always abundant, though that may be changing a bit as the company focuses more on innovation. Unfortunately, they also pay above average wages, so I have to make a major career move to avoid taking a pay cut when I find a new job. Seems like a funny thing, but it is an issue.
Pros
Benefits, pay, culture.
Cons
Advancement opportunities due to low turnover
You never know.....
Principal Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHOctober 2, 2018
Was a great place 20 years ago, management now has no idea what is needed to keep the business running. Most IT jobs being shipped offshore so there is no longer any job security.

Constant business methodology changes. Frequent reorganizations to suit the methodology du jour, never knowing if your number will be picked to exit. Managers with no experience managing people and/or no experience in the teams' responsibilities/expectations. No help from Sr management, they are too busy changing methodology.
Pros
Good compensation
Cons
IT jobs being shipped offshore, no job security, team managers clueless with managing people, ineffective Sr management
Enter at your own risk
INSURANCE AGENT (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaAugust 23, 2018
My employment with Liberty Mutual began with the eagerness of a child on Christmas morning. It stemmed primarily from my love of helping people, but also from management (local manager) not regional or state management.

My love for the position however changed when we were handed off from manager to manager until my final days at liberty with the worst experience of my sales career with ANY company.

If there were clearer objectives and support from managers I feel I would still be there, but again there lacked a clear sense of direction and too many agendas and too many looking after their backsides.
Pros
Pretty good salary
Cons
No work life balance, life insurance compensation, having to prove your overtime, no sense, no real manager support, no job security
Good Company and People
Licensed Auto Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZOctober 27, 2018
Worked auto claims. The position was much more stressful than anticipated. Also not enough hours in the day to complete allotted work required. Hours were good and flexible when you can come in which was fantastic, however they only wanted you to work 37.5 hours per week and that usually wasn't enough to complete the new claims work as it came in. Most people just put in more hours and didn't log it so it didn't look like they needed more hours than desired. With all that said, the company was great, the management was great as well were my co-workers. The auto claims position was just not right for the long term.
Pros
hours flexibility, people, benefits and company
Cons
workload is too much and stress

Want to know more about Liberty Mutual?

Ask a question
call Center not for everyone
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Mishawaka, INOctober 16, 2018
LM offers excellent benefits and pay however they have to or no one would stay working there. The call center is high stress and you are self managed for the most part, but have a lot of metrics you have to keep perfect. at anytime you feel as though you could be fired and for the most part they don't care because they will just find someone else to fill your spot. They are also known for completely changing your schedule and expecting you to change your whole life around or else again they can find someone else who will do it. You will never get the feeling as though you are needed there. great benefits and good pay but very high stress. from the moment you log in until the moment you are logged out you are timed for every little thing you do all day and then have to explain yourself. Don't forget even if you are meeting your numbers there is always someone out there doing better than you that you are competing with.
Pros
Great benefits, lots of vacation time, high pay
Cons
never feel like you are doing well there, work life balance is hard, most managers are fake
A company that actually cares!
Claims Customer Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Liberty Lake, WANovember 14, 2018
A typical day at work in the position of Claims Customer Care Associate consists of managing metrics like break times, call length, after call work, etc. and taking inbound calls from people who need to file a claim or already have a claim filed. Some days you will also have team or one on one meetings. Management varies wildly; some managers hover and some allow you to sink or swim while still others fill the gaps in between. Some develop team camaraderie but that can never be forced. I was on a team which was incredibly close knit and supportive and I was on another which was largely individualistic.
Liberty Mutual is definitely a company which cares about its employees and its customers. The benefits and salary offered in my area are amazingly competitive.
If you are introverted or have sensory processing issues, I would not recommend working here but for everyone else I would most definitely recommend this position.
Pros
benefits, pay, integrity, facility
Cons
stressful, fast-paced, high sensory load, constantly changing
Lots of work, not enough time
Claim Resolution Representative (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, ILSeptember 29, 2018
New work is always there, so your job is very secure. There is a lot of work everyday and a lot of metrics to meet. You need to manage your new claims as well as keep your old claims moving forward. You are on the phone literally all day and there is not enough time in your 7.5 hour workday to get everything done. There are overtime opportunities but sometimes 2.5 hours a week doesn't help either. It is very stressful because you need to keep up with all of your customers and you are inconstant fear of getting a bad survey which directly relates to your annual bonus. (PS sometimes you get a bad survey because customers don't understand how to fill out the survey and there is nothing management can do to remove it.)
Pros
20+ days of FTO, great benefits, great co-workers
Cons
Very stressful
Re-Orgs seem to be the norm
Associate Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAOctober 1, 2018
Change is good, but quite frequently there were re-orgs happening at Liberty. Not enough commitment from leadership around strategic alignment, and therefore, many roles were "eliminated" and far too many talented people were laid off or let go. I worked there for over 10 years and always was praised on my work, and within months was part of a major re-org because new leadership came in with their "grand ideas." I keep in touch with many folks who are still at the organization who, sadly, are miserable and feel that leadership is lacking.
Pros
tuition reimbursement
Cons
healthcare benefits, leadership, too many meetings and nothing to show for it
long hours, lots of stress
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 22, 2018
Liberty Mutual has changed a great deal as a company. It is a an extremely competitive environment where you have to worry about not only someone in the local office stealing your business but the tele-sales and internet sales department writing referral business that should go to the agent it was referred. Liberty has imposed rules that favor tele-sales and internet business. I had policies stolen from me, which is basically stealing money from me and my family. I worked 10 to 11 hour days, if I took time off I had my cell phone with me at all times to make sure I wouldn't miss any business. The work life balance is non existent.
Pros
decent compplan, salary plus commission and benefits
Lack Luster Mutual Insurance Company
Commercial Claims Specialist II - BI (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXAugust 4, 2018
They claim they are about work family balance but when the need arises they fall grossly short. The culture is made up of lifers who have formed clicks and rarely open up to newcomers unless there’s something in it for them.

If you try to avoid the social aspect of work and just come in do your time and leave the management team will count that against you behavior wise and use it as a reason to not give you a raise or to give you less of one. I was literally told that If I had been on the “fun committee” I would have been seen as more of a team player which would have given me a higher rating come performance review time.
Pros
Covered parking
Cons
Healthcare crazy high deductibles, socially based performance reviews, coworkers are clickish lifers, inadequate training for new roles
Decent place to work
Insurance Sales Producer (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZAugust 9, 2018
The company is a good company to work for but the recent changes they have made, they have turned into every other insurance company out there. We went from being paid 100 bucks a sale to 5 bucks a sale.. Its a big pay cut and they expected people to be excited about the change. They have great work life balance with time off and flexible schedules. Your whole career is basically based on what manager you get because there is no consistency from any of them. Something that could get you fired with one manager is completely acceptable to another. Again this is a good company with decent benefits but it all comes down to how lucky you are to get the good managers.
Cons
management
Stressful & Inconsistent
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INAugust 1, 2018
I worked at LM nearly 20 years. I saw many changes in my time. Most were reactive to industry leaders. Corporate and local management would always say changes are coming to help with work life balance, attendance, software, and personal job performance and 80% of the time it never did. I saw huge amounts of employee turnover. It got to the point I stop learning new hire names because they would usually be gone within a year. Benefits are average or typical you find with most employers. The only saving Grace I can say is they tend to pay more than industry average (or at least they did 10 years ago). If you like a company that is fairly consistent and that makes suttle changes throughout the year(s), them LM is not for you. It's stressful work environment and management talks out both sides of their mouths.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Everything else
Greatcompany with poor claims managers
Property Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXAugust 28, 2018
A great company to work for if your not a property claims adjuster, the management model is to promote unqualified managers with no people skill but who answer to the company line. Managers do not need to have the skills of the people they manage but tow the company line. Benefits are great and my coworkers are great, work life balance was optimal with 30% work from home. The atmosphere is one of stressful achievement and they reward personal achievements well but with strings attached.
Pros
New office spaces and great atmosphere
Cons
very poor management skills
Dynamic Company but supporting organizations to buiness overworked
SR, IT Contracts Manager, Procurement (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WASeptember 13, 2018
Company mission and objectives have solid leadership.
Business lines operate effectively and lead industry
IT lacks standardization controls which results in duplication and excess spending
Extensive hours including holidays required in Procrement 60+ week
Carrying 2x or more typical workload per procurement employee Constant reorganization causes delays and rework; open slots not filled creating more work
Middle management resists progress in my department
Systems are inefficient due to lack of requirements gathering prior to purchase for procurement and supply chain
My management focused on minutia vs big picture; lacked clarity in directions due to inability to make decisions
Team did not create paths for career growth and raises not commensurate with expectations
Political environment; personal view vs productivity results measured.
Pros
Leader in industry, good salary and benefits, philanthropic
Cons
Poor support to employees, low raises, would not allow use of educational benefits, no work life balance, high stress

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Liberty Mutual. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

45%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

66%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss