Play YouTube video button

Liberty Mutual Employee Reviews

Found 2,555 reviews matching the search See all 2,586 reviews
Featured review
Liberty Mutual selected this as a representative review
A great opportunity.
Licensed Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MA 01105April 16, 2018
Tons of training, extra help, coaching, and flexibility. Lots of avenues with which to advance through. A very stable company that offers a competitive benefits package and wages for customer service reps.
Pros
Day one benefits
This company will grind you up.
Claims Resolution Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 16, 2018
Liberty over works their employees, does not provide clear paths for advancement, and doesn't listen to employee concerns. The typical work day is on aver 10 hours or more. You get talked to for working overtime just to keep up, but get talked to if you do not handle your claims quickly.
Great place to work!
Telephonic Nurse Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 16, 2018
I loved my time at Liberty. I had great co-workers and managers. I would still be there if I didn't move out of state. My Regional Manager even tried to get me a new position in my new state. I can't say enough about how wonderful this company is to work for .
Paralegal- Tigard Office
Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORJuly 16, 2018
I worked as a Paralegal with Liberty Mutual Insurance for over 5 years. While Liberty Mutual is a wonderful company to work for, the Tigard/Portland PCT should be AVOIDED. There are about 60-70 people employed at this location. For the most part, people are friendly, competent and professional. The environment is deafeningly quiet and uninviting. Soul sucking is a perfect description. Everyone sits at their desk and does not speak to one another. If you are looking for a lively office to work in, THIS IS NOT FOR YOU.
Morale has always been somewhat of a challenge, however with the brand new incompetent management team, morale is at an all time low with turnover so high it might just be record breaking.

The pros:
Flexible time off
No Over Time
Paid Time Off
Consistent pay checks
AC in the summer
Heat in the winter
The fridge has an ice machine
Plenty of parking

The Cons:
* The salary does not reflect the cost of living for the Portland area
* Your merit raises are less than 3% a year if you're lucky, however medical costs increase year over year, so in the end, your raises barely cover the cost of medical increases, if at all.
* The paralegal managers are all new and cannot help you grow, or train, as they have never worked as a paralegal in your jurisdiction
* Medical Coverage is not affordable
* Morale is consistently low
* Turnover is high
* The only people who appreciate your work are your attorneys, and they work in another state.
* Your only recognition is a peer based program (See above, morale is low, therefore no one is nominating anyone
  more... for recognition/awards).
* New Management relies on reports, because they lack experience, they have no real concept of what it means to be in your position.
* If you are good at your position, you will not be rewarded monetarily, you will only be given more work to do for the same pay.
* Zero advancement opportunities in the Legal Department
Pros
Flexible Work Schedule
Cons
Incompetent Management, Low Salary, Low Morale
Strong sale focused and high producing pressure for sales reps
Area Senior Administrative Associate (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 16, 2018
The Michigan and Indiana branch management team is a fantastic group of managers to work for. They are extremely dedicated to helping their sales reps advance in their careers and all have a very helpful and caring heart to help all succeed. There is ALOT of reorganization taking place in the company which has caused ALOT of unrest counrtywide as Liberty strives to be in the top of the insurance industry.
Pros
Management team is great & dedicated to their staff
Cons
Tremendous quota pressure
Great company to work for
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kent, WAJuly 16, 2018
Really have no complaints. Enjoyed my time working for Liberty.
We were very busy in the publishing department. Had excellent management and staff. Miss working there.
Typical day at work
Claims Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJuly 16, 2018
Heavy claim load, numerous phone calls each day, numerous emails each day. Was not possible to respond to call/emails in time frame Liberty required. Stressful and not enough time in a day to complete daily tasks. Had to work each evening just to stay caught up

Liberty provided training for their employees.

Hardest part of job was juggling emails,phone calls and new claims on daily basis.
Pros
Good benefits and pay
Cons
stressfull, distance from home
culture change from a good place to work to cut throat, numbers-driven focus. downsizing field staff
Auto Damage Field Examiner (Former Employee) –  CAJuly 14, 2018
The culture has changed to treat staff more like a number and only concern is achieving unrealistic goals. The company is moving to significantly reduce the field positions in lieu of remote desk review claims handling.
Pros
Pay and benefits are competitive
Cons
outsourcing jobs
Micro-managing dictatorship by management
PARALEGAL (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INJuly 14, 2018
Management does not value the opinion of employees, but instead uses those opinions against you, to the point where you feel you’re walking on eggshells everyday. And managers will absolutely NEVER admit when they’re wrong about something or apologize for what they’ve done.

And whether you’re more qualified than another employee or have been with the company longer, in the rare opportunity of applying for a promotion, age and “family stability” always trumps.
Pros
Benefits, philanthropy work
Catastrophe Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXJuly 13, 2018
A typical day at work will last a minimum of 10 hours a day. I learned more in my first year with this company than I have with any other company I have worked for in my career.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Training
Big office to work in.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  LaGrange, GAJuly 13, 2018
Management was easy and flexible to work for. The job requires one to travel most of time. Leads were not provided, the employee must find their own leads and clients.
Pros
Manager often took employees out to lunch.
Cons
Very hard to find good leads.
Rep
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  GAJuly 13, 2018
There were a number of things I liked best about that job. I enjoyed the level of open and direct communication. This moved things along quickly and few things were left unsaid. This meant that people had to detach themselves from the topic and not take comments personally or make personal comments. It was always about solving the business problems. Another thing I liked was your ability to learn new things and take on more responsibility. Everyone was in a constant state of growth.
Good advancement opportunity
SSPA/Program Shop Administrator (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 13, 2018
Increased knowledge on shop management for completed shop appraisals, increased bumper repair technology and new vehicle technology, worked with experienced Liberty Mutual employees
Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cedar Park, TXJuly 12, 2018
I loved some of the people I worked with, it was an alright job, I wouldn't tell my friends to work there only because of the stress level, I wouldn't wish that on anyone, but I liked it.
Pros
Has great things planned during the year for emps
Cons
Numbers change all the time
Declined
Senior Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXJuly 11, 2018
Great co-workers. Company provided snacks, treats etc. However, high stressed job because company set unrealistic expectations for callback time to customer. Same day callback required on all claims.
Good
Auto Property Damage Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLJuly 11, 2018
Good working environment and management. The staff employees were very friendly and helpful. The management team was very resourceful as well as knowledgeable.
Large financial institution
Principal Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJuly 11, 2018
- good work/life balance
- lots of freedom
- many different technology stacks
- everyone describes themselves as being "Legacy <fill-in-company-name-purchased-by-Liberty-Mutual>"
Pros
work/life balance
Cons
very slow software development
Good paying job
Insurance Agent - Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLJuly 11, 2018
good paying job, great benefits, but you are tied down to your desk. There are a lot of metrics that have to be met. If you are ok with being on the phone all day then itll be great
horrible
Senior Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Warrenville, ILJuly 11, 2018
horrible and they do not promote you if you're a hard worker
they want you to do your work and everyone else's too with no additional pay. everything there is manager's discretion
pleasant work environment
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Lynbrook, NYJuly 11, 2018
Training was provided and most helpful. Only there one year as took a job closer to my home. The environment was very pleasant and work load manageable
Great company
Claims Internship (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 10, 2018
Great values, people and work. The job can be great and difficult at times due to dealing with people but the culture of the company is amazing and the people here care.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Liberty Mutual. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.5Career Opportunities

3.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight