Play YouTube video button

Liberty Mutual Employee Reviews

Found 3,352 reviews matching the search See all 3,394 reviews
Featured review
Liberty Mutual selected this as a representative review
Great Place to Work!
Insurance Advisor (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXOctober 25, 2018
Liberty Mutual is a great place to work. It has lots of advancement opportunities and is a great place for growth and benefits! Work-Life balance is definitely a plus!
very stressful & not good work life balance
Licensed Senior Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INJune 15, 2019
The job is a pay for performance so it is very stressful & not good work life balance. Also I had a terrible manager that was horrible at coaching & is the reason I was fired
Overall a good company to work for.
State Reporting, Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Mishawaka, INJune 12, 2019
A typical day at work is to see how many people enjoy their jobs, even when facing stressful situations or having a difficult caller.. The leaders of this company try very hard to be transparent in all decisions. The hardest part of the day is knowing that there simply isn't enough hours to get everything done! The culture is pretty relaxed. Something we all look forward to is when we get to work home. Nothing can compare to that. The most enjoyable part of the day is to see someone smile for being recognized for their hard work.
Great perks, but management was bad
Insurance Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 12, 2019
I learned a lot. Got to work with attorneys and self-paced. However, management showed favoritism. They were quicker to hire from without and friends and family of employees rather than promote current workers that already knew the system.
Pros
Flex schedules, volunteer opportunities, quiet
Cons
short breaks, your sick time is in the same bank as vacation time
Lots of support
Agency/Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJune 12, 2019
They gave you all the tools you need to succeed.. Management and employee support was always available.. Having a 45 minute lunch was nice. They had flexible work hours
Pros
Great wages and very good PTO
Cons
Metrics can be very hard to be consistant
Healthy culture
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 12, 2019
Liberty has an overall healthy culture where different teams regularly interact with each other and support development. Analyst's are given a lot of independence to attack work as they see fit. Liberty also believes in work-life balance.
Great Place to work
DRC SUPPORT SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZJune 11, 2019
Great Place to work. Hard to move up if you would like to go to another department. Love the people that I work for. I am not really sure what else to say?
Pros
good people
Cons
Hard to move up in the company
Good company to work for, but be prepared for the workload
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 11, 2019
I find that this is a great company to work for with benefits unlike any other I've been a part of. I've had nothing but good experiences with the company and the managers I have worked for. This is one of the only companies I know that gives men a full 8 weeks off paid after the birth of a child.

A typical work-day depends on the department you are in. For non-salaried claims positions, it's a strict 7.5-hour work day everyday. There are occasions where overtime is offered. For salaried claims positions, you can easily exceed 40 hours a week with no overtime pay considering you're salaried. Time management is absolutely crucial in this company.

There are some considerable challenges at this company. Do your research, first. If you work in claims you will be put in high-stress scenarios with customers, regularly. Sometimes contractors will get angry with you to the point of wanting to start a physical altercation. These are hazards of the job, but the company always has your back and I've always felt that way. It is important to understand this and make peace with it before you try out a claims job. Customers will get upset. Contractors will get upset. It's your job to make the best of these situations and help people as best you can. You also have to accept that sometimes, you can't help somebody, and they will be mad at you regardless of how you tried to help. All you can do is take solace in the fact that you did your best and you actually did try to help.

The most enjoyable part of this job is estimation. I love learning construction and ways to estimate things.
  more... The amount of real-world experience gained in a role like this is unreal. Additionally, on the claims you are able to help and provide a real service to people, it can truly feel like you made a difference.

This job is one of high highs and low lows. For me, a lot of times I either felt I was on top of the world or it was about as bad as it could get. There wasn't much in-between. It's consistently inconsistent, but the work will always be there. There is strong job security in insurance as claims won't ever stop.
Pros
Management, benefits, company culture
Cons
Day-to-day workload, supplements, high stress
Always trying to boost morale
Claims Processor (Current Employee) –  Plano, TXJune 10, 2019
They know working at a contact center is a stressful job. They are always trying to boost your spirits and release stress through fun group activities, meetings, and food. Always ask questions and don't be afraid to fight for your success, sometimes management isn't on the same page which is why I encourage everyone to sit down during their weekly coaching sessions to help maximize career efficiency. Also, I learned this the hard way but a contact center might not be the best option for mom that have to leave their children at a day care. THey have a strict attendance policy therefore it sometimes does not work out. Overall satisfaction 7/10.
RATER II (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, OHJune 10, 2019
Loved my job, unfortunately my job was outsourced and due to health reason I was unsuccessful at getting another position.
Liberty takes good care of their employees, great benefits and work hours.
Pros
Benefits, 401K, Cafè
Cons
Na
Bad management culture
Senior Claims Restoration Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lake Mary, FLJune 10, 2019
Constantly putting someone in the hot seat and managing through fear. It could be a very good place to work. But they do not realize how bad they make it for their employees.
Help Desk Agent
IT HELP DESK AGENT (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAJune 10, 2019
While employed at Liberty Mutual I would assist employees on the phone. It was constant, all day phone calls which could become tiring and burnout was common. I am glad about what I learned from working there, however if I had to do it again, I most likely would not.
Great Place to Work
Claims Assistant / Commercial Claims Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXJune 10, 2019
I enjoyed working at Liberty Mutual from beginning to end. The atmosphere was great and co-workers extremely helpful. I would return to Liberty Mutual.
Solid Company
OPERATIONS ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 10, 2019
Fast paced 24/7. good benefits. outsourced thousands of positions. high turn over of supervisors and mangers. difficult understanding contractors English.
Productive and fun workplace
Information Technology Internship Program (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 10, 2019
Really lovely people to work with! I felt that my managers cared about my happiness and my development, and my team members were always looking out for me. Loved the culture.
Pros
Compensation and benefits, fellow employees, location and operating environment
Cons
I really do not have anything negative, I left but I still maintain relationships with existing employees
Excellent environment and advanced environment
Sr. Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Valley Forge, PAJune 8, 2019
Excellent environment and advanced environment, People are good to work with and team oriented. Kind of free environment with not restricted hours to work.
Eager to develop employees and fun place to work
Technical Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Wausau, WIJune 6, 2019
A great place to work that is understanding of their employees having kids. Willing to work with their employees. Great courses online to help develop our knowledge and learn more of claims, insurance, basic things like word and excel, etc.
n/a
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXJune 6, 2019
i am not going to say anything about this company, i no longer work for, it paid the bills and i have no more to say so here is 150 minimum characters
Great if you are always a High Roller & never go on disability or fmla. When you are a High Roller, you can win great trips but company run.
Sr Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJune 5, 2019
Don't ever file for Fmla or disability, they will let you go! I was let go after 18 years ! And without advance notice. I was on disability because my father attempted suicide and failed & I had to go out of State to take care of him, then brought him back to my home. He was in & out of the hospital with life & death surgeries, double lung pneumonia, to just name a few.
After 4 months back to work, they let me go with the biggest hooey excuse ever... I didn't make Goal.

I am extremely disappointed in Liberty Mutual, not only for what they did & how they did (I got a phone call). but they didn't even offer me other opportunities within the company. I believe it was because I was too close to Retirement. Get it?
Pros
Free fruit and coffee & cafeteria on site.
Cons
Micromanagement. High Goals for your bonuses & it changes every month!
Terrible place
Claims Specialist III (Former Employee) –  New YorkJune 5, 2019
It was a high stress job with no support. Management is a joke and it's a total boys club. Managers barely do any work but breathe down your neck to make sure you're meeting the numbers to make them look good.
Benefits
Collaborative yet competitive work environment
Commercial Insurance Underwriting Intern (Former Employee) –  GAJune 4, 2019
High expectations, high standards, and high stress. There is plenty of opportunity to prove yourself. I enjoyed my time there. The employees were very open and supportive of me.
Pros
Stability, pay
Cons
Fast-pace, monotony

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Liberty Mutual. Our community is ready to answer.

41.1K

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score
TOP25%
In the Top 25% of similar size companies

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Liberty Mutual.

Powered by Comparably