LIBERTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
My experience working for the administrators, students, staff, etc. was very good!
Broadcasting and Short Stories Instructor (Former Employee) –  Liberty, MOJuly 6, 2018
I believe that LPS is a very good place to work. It appears that they are interested in employing young people without experience to keep the salary/budget cost down.
I did enjoy working with the students, staff, families and administration. I would have enjoyed trying to develop programs.
It is a very good school district.
I was only hired for summer school and as a long term substitute for the regular school year. My salary then would not be high on their salary schedule.
I hope in the future to be hired as a administrator or educator.
Pros
Very good working environment.
Cons
The staff is not mature as in age.
Collaborative and child-centered
Speech Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Liberty, MOJuly 2, 2018
Good place to work. I feel supported and encouraged. Great friendships formed with co-workers. Management is helpful and kind. Nice families and nice area of Kansas City.
Pros
Wonderful co-workers
Cons
Paid once per month
self motivated to complete tasks
CUSTODIAN (Current Employee) –  Liberty, MOJune 28, 2018
Liberty Public Schools Custodial Department is a great place to work. Management is very helpful and flexible to your needs as an individual. One needs to be motivated while working as a Custodian because you are self motivated to complete tasks, as you work alone. Also like that I manage my time and can get my job done at the pace I set for myself.
Head Driver Trainer/Training Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Liberty, MOJune 26, 2018
Like working with the students as well as the new employees. People for the most part are good people and have made many friends working here, I also have a good group of driver trainers that I am in charge of.
Stressful and hectic
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Liberty, MOJune 20, 2018
In a typical day I would show up to work and be given a map of the school, with a detailed list of areas to clean. Often 15 - 20 classrooms, a few bathrooms, and the hallways. I learned how to work and clean in a fast professional manner.
The management was poorly organized, often harassed and berated employees.
The hardest part of the job would be dealing with unreal expectations, and favoritism.
The most enjoyable part of the job would be fellow coworkers and the children.
Pros
co workers, children, benefits
Cons
management, snow removal, mandatory overtime (even on holidays)
Good hard Work
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Liberty, MOMarch 26, 2018
What a good place to work. The hours were there every night. This is second shift work. 2:30 to 11 PM. If you like to work on your own and want to do good work without much prase, work here.
Great work enviroment to be in
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Liberty, MOJanuary 20, 2018
While working there i was the youngest guy but a lot of the other guys didn't mind and helped me out. I learned alot from working there. I liked coming into work every day and thats what a job should be about.
Over all a fun place to work.
Lead Electrician (Former Employee) –  Liberty, MODecember 27, 2017
Productive and fun place with great co-workers. Management and staff were very helpful. I learned how to locate underground wiring while working here. The hardest part of the job was coming in early to help with snow removal. The best part of the job was liking the feeling of accomplishment on a daily basis.
Pros
Great benefits.
Cons
Could not get off of work enough while my Mom was dying.
I loved this job
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Liberty, MODecember 15, 2017
I loved my job at liberty schools along with the people and staff The managment and staff was amazing.... MY most favorite part of the job was being around the kids... i loved this job had to reloate was the only reason for leaving.... it was a great learning experience and opportunity i miss everyone there and am thankful for being apart of that team....
Great district
English Teacher (Current Employee) –  Liberty, MODecember 8, 2017
.LPS has had it's growing pains like any other district, but the leadership tries hard to do the right thing by all its stakeholders. Things that lead to frustration are all the initiatives that get rolled out each year with no time to implement them well before the next ones come out. Also, teachers' hadn't had money added to the schedule in 8 years! That's been painful!
Pros
Great families and peers. Admin really supports trying new ideas.
Cons
Too many initiatives to try to incorporate and too little time for planning
awesome
Long Term Sub Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Liberty, MOSeptember 12, 2017
good people
ethics and morals
quick paced multiple tasks ongoing
must be people oriented and positions involve dealing with people from all over the world.
lots of work
Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Liberty, MOMarch 9, 2017
always something new going on it has lone hours the school district does not cover tools expense or reimbursement they don't tool insurance and heath insurance is $1400 month for family
LPS is the lowest paid district in the KC Metro Area
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Custodial DepartmentFebruary 17, 2017
Top Heavy
Poor job protection
Reviews not reflective of pay
Support Staff is grossly undervalued and under paid compared to teaching staff.
Administrators are 90% former Educators
So fun working with children
Kid's Zone Counselor (Former Employee) –  Liberty, MOMarch 2, 2016
K-5th grade, before and after school care. Fun to work with the kids. Weekends off and you get paid for going to training. Most employees are studying education and are high school or college students.
LPS is a great school district for which anyone would be lucky to work.
Secondary/AP Java and English Teacher (Former Employee) –  Liberty, MOAugust 6, 2015
Being a teacher - especially an AP teacher of two incredibly different subjects - is very time-consuming and at times incredibly challenging. I shy away from no challenge. I work as hard as I can, I follow the goals set by leadership, and at times I run around like a chicken with its head cut off. Yes, I know that prior sentence was grammatically incorrect! I had six hours of full classes a day, four of them different preps (or classes), two of them being AP or college level. Most teachers have one to three preps a day. I ran from class to class with a five minute break to setup the next hour without wasting any time and being happy and welcoming to each new student walking in my classroom.

I have to be very efficient and use every second of the 45 minutes I have each day to make sure every student learns what they can. Each year I've learned a student will give you more than they think they can if they know you believe in them, but also if they know you like them as a person.

The topics I chose to teach are some of the most time consuming when it comes to creating lessons, creating assignments / tests / essays, and most especially grading those assignments in order to help students learn. But I would never trade my experiences teaching for the world. I've learned how much space there is in my heart for another person's child and their well-being. I've learned there are multiple ways to teach a topic so someone "gets it" based on the multiple ways one can explain a concept (something I learned in high school that helped me in the IT world).
Pros
Smiling faces leaving my class each hour; happy people running in to share big news (ACT Scores, College Acceptance, Going from an F to a D in a class, etc.)
Cons
Breaks are non-existent, healthcare and taxes incredibly costly, I like working extra & extra hard but does anyone know how many hours a teacher really works?
Very Productive working environment
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Liberty, MOMay 11, 2015
Daily inter office meetings regarding activities being held for that day including concerns and questions from Teachers on cleaning schedules and possible assistance with setting up classrooms for PTA meetings. Teaching Staff always having positive feedback toward the Custodial Staff and holding luncheons ( Custodial Appreciation Day). Always a welcoming appreciation from the Teachers and office Staff. Close knit communication between all parties involved. Personally looked forward to going to work everyday and had great appreciation for the Teaching Staff, Office Staff , Students and Custodial Supervisor. The Hardest part of the job was Summer work ( stripping and waxing floors and moving furniture ). The most enjoyable part of the job was being with a strong professional Custodial crew and inter acting with the Teaching Staff on both a personal and professional level. Since the introduction of a new Custodial Director the culture has changed from a positive to a negative environment creating difficult communication between Teachers and office Staff and the Custodial Department.
Pros
Welcoming environment on all levels.
Cons
New Custodial Director did not appreciate speaking with Teachers.
Assistant Site Director (Current Employee) –  Liberty, MOApril 7, 2015
LPS Kid's Zone has been home to me for a collective year & a half. Since then, I've moved up from a program counselor to being second in charge as an Assistant Site Director for my site. Absolutely love the working environment, & the kid's & staff I interact with. Only down fall is, there are no benefits & hours are usually under 30 hours. A typical day at work includes getting there & clocking in, getting every station set up for having the kids there, getting the computer's up & running, & waiting for the kids to show up. I've learned how to be extremely patient with the kids I interact with, as some of them may not catch what I mean the first, second or third time I've explained something. Management is very easy to talk to, I can come to anyone with any problem or question & it gets answered without any question as to why I asked, or why I didn't know it before. The hardest part of the job is typically waking up at 5:30am Monday-Friday in order to get there at 6:30am. Not really that hard once I get up & moving, but actually getting myself out of bed seems to be a challenge! The best part of my job is working with the kids.
Pros
Easy going environment, advancement
Cons
no benefits, less than 30 hours
Parent Educator
Parent Educator (Former Employee) –  Liberty, MONovember 2, 2014
The best thing about this job was the largely flexible schedule. However, there were mandatory meetings that seemed unproductive and were hard to attend since the remaining job was done on your own schedule. Co-workers here were fabulous and the job atmosphere was great.
Great place to work.
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Liberty, MOOctober 13, 2014
I've enjoyed all the years I've been a Substitute Teacher for Liberty Public Schools, they are a great district to work for.
Fun day filled with Kiddos and board games.
Pre-School Teacher Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liberty, MOMay 20, 2014
A typical day at Kid's Zone, I would maintain the safety of 400+ kids each day, I would engage them in fun educational games to help them learn before sending them off to class. We would also go on field trips all over Kansas City.
Pros
Helping kid's grow and learn
Cons
Low hours