Liberty Science Center Employee Reviews

Pretty horrible most of the time
Guest Engagement Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJApril 18, 2019
I thought this was going to be my grown up job and it's more like babies are running the place. Very political, they do not care about experience but would prefer to give jobs to those that are their friends. Barely any internal promotions 9/10 times they will hire from outside. The pay for full time is fair and benefits are excellent with incentive to stay long term. When I left I had a month of paid time off plus unlimited sick hours, they also offer a 403b instead of 401k and good medical. But that is the only real perk. The hours are insane as they are open 6 days a week but 7 during the spring and summer and open all holidays with extended hours. I would work 10-14 hours on most days. HR is a mess and earns no respect throughout institution, the culture is the worst with an attitude that no one matters except the directors or VPs. Whom are also the ones that receive title changes and bonuses even though everyone else does the work. Many of the "admin" staff have worked here for 20+ years so there are not many opportunities for advancement. The culture here is basically they would prefer to loose good, honest hard working loyal employees then hold on to them by providing raises, promotions, a steady schedule etc. They will also work you to the core and everyone is burned out from the top to the bottom of organization. Lastly, they are always understaffed (ALWAYS!) which adds to the frustration and burn out. They cram as many visitors in as possible because it's all about the bottom line, not about teaching kids science or the guest experience, nor employee moral, those come  more... way down the list of priorities. This place attracts 3k-7k visitors on weekends and holidays with about 50 employees to match. It's too bad because if this was managed correctly and the VP expectations were plausible then LSC could be so great. They are definitely missing a golden opportunity. Oh yeah, most days I wouldn't get a lunch break either.  less
Pros
great benefits for full timers, made some great friends
Cons
very super stressful, management is horrible, work hours
Very Enjoyable Opportunity
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMarch 9, 2019
It was a great experience volunteering for the science center and I definitely would have applied for a job if i hadn't moved away for college. Definitely recommended if you're interested in science, technology and learning.
Curriculum Writer and Teacher (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMarch 6, 2019
Great place to work! The staff and location are amazing. It is an incredible place to grow and learn. I would recommend working at the Liberty Science Center.
Pros
Parking
Cons
Long Hours
Productive Work Place
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJFebruary 28, 2019
Very nice environment. The staff and management were very professional. I honestly had the same task every day, but you know everyday isn't always the same. There were times there would be school trips and the security team would be handling over 500 kids at a time. Sometime the work place was very busy but it was worth it.
The workplace was great.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJFebruary 11, 2019
A great experience is wonderful for high school students to use in order to get community service hours and learn the skills needed in everyday work. This goes for retail and security.
It was a good place to work but no advancement
Host Associate (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJanuary 24, 2019
The only good thing is that you can have your family and friends come in for free. No room for advancement unless you apply for a different position through their website. Host associates don't get paid that much. No benefits. It is like getting paid to do security work.
Pros
Being in a science museum
Cons
pay and it can get boring
Good workplace for beginning job or pass time to make money.
Interpretation Associate (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJanuary 4, 2019
LSC was a nice place to work, sometimes you would feel a little too much watched by the cpprdinators to purposfully catch you doing something wrong and most of the time you aren’t seen doing your hard work because they are busy when your labs are packed as well. However, it was a nice work environment and good co workers, made lots of friendships.
Pros
Discount 25% lunch
Fun workplace
Hospitality Associate (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJOctober 26, 2018
Amazing environment. Great managers. The most enjoyable part of the job was the ability to learn something new everyday, and all the new people you meet.
Absolutely The Worst Company To Work For
AV Manager (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJuly 10, 2018
I work for this company for many years and it is by far the "Worst Company To Work For" Management is a total joke VP and CEO and Directors make 175-400k while they are offering jobs for $15 per hour. They abuse my pay and make me work hours that is not publicly known.

I'm sorry but if you are looking for a real career where you can actually do something and advance, this company is completely not for you. Everyone is in the bubble of the CEO and only can do what he wants.

Do not apply you can find better!
Pros
I can't find any
Cons
i don't have a big enough book
I worked as a volunteer
STEM Education Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJune 21, 2018
I cannot explain the information for someone who is working there as I was a volunteer. I enjoyed my time as a volunteer. You must be comfortable with being on your feet for long periods of time.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Fun place to work
Assistant Volunteer Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJApril 17, 2018
LSC is always changing which make the staff as dynamic as its exhibits. We love to entertain children with the world of science and be leaders for new fields like drone theory, 3D printer labs, and Live surgery videos.
Best Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Liberty State Park, NJApril 5, 2018
Absolutely loved my experience tremendously and got to meet great people. Everyone was always help full and flexible to change schedules. Very welcoming and encouraging.
Pros
so much engagement
Positive and Educational Work Environment
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMarch 4, 2018
While working in multiple departments with the Liberty Science Center, I was able to learn a lot of valuable skills across multiple fields. Within each department I was able to work with incredible people who made each day both enjoyable and informative.
Fast-Paced environment with a great workplace community
Hospitality Associate (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJFebruary 27, 2018
The thing I enjoy the most about Liberty Science Center is the workplace community. My coworkers are genuine, selfless people who truly push each other for greatness. I can honestly say I made wonderful friends working here. The most difficult thing about this job would be trying to make all guests happy and welcomed. Some guests have outlandish requests and sometimes they cant be met.
Pros
culture, flexible hours
Cons
no healthcare, not enough pay
My opinion
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJFebruary 23, 2018
A typical day at work is easy I know what to expect everyday except the 3rd Thursday of the month because we have a big party and you never know what is going to happen it is exciting though
Reservation Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJFebruary 5, 2018
I worked part time for 5 years and never had a boss. I worked on my own and that was difficult at first but you get used to the fast environment. Learned a lot during and the experiences there helped me in other jobs.
Fun place to work
Interpretation Associate (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJanuary 11, 2018
Liberty Science Center is a fast paced, energetic and educational place to work. Every day is different and provides new challenges. The various exhibits are not only fun to work in but also provide chances to learn something new.
Great for what it is
Exhibit Technician / Head Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Jersey City, NJ 07305September 4, 2017
great people. good work environment. minor issues departmentally. i would recommend working here as a starting point for building up work experience. but other than that its a dead end.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
dead end jobs
Fun Place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJAugust 8, 2017
I can't really say much what the company is like because I was a volunteer here. I can say that the management was amazing and it was a very enjoyable place to be even without a salary.
Pros
lots of events for employees
Cons
gets boring sometimes
Liberty Science Center-Dynamic Culture and Experience
Sales and Community Outreach Intern (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJMay 18, 2017
My internship at Liberty Science Center was phenominal. I was in the sales and finance departments. It was truly an amazing experience. I got a first hand experience on internal procedures and the staff is very friendly and nice. It was dream come true to work their.
Pros
Fun exhibits and culture