Lidl US Employee Reviews

Featured review
Lidl US selected this as a representative review
Exciting times to be part of Lidl US
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 20, 2018
I have been working for Lidl US HQ for over 2 years now and I really enjoy it. It is a very fast paced work environment, which also means you learn a lot - since no day is the same. If you are a looking for a paper pusher 9-5 job, this is probably not the environment for you. But if you are looking for a challenge and you want to grow personally and professionally, this might be the right company for you. I have learned so much already, since you will get the responsibility to own your projects through and through. The culture is fun, and I have found friends in my colleagues. There are times, where you need to put in extra hours, but my line manager always makes sure, that this is leveled at quieter times. I love working with people from all over the world and US. I can recommend working here.
Pros
Career Opportunity, Colleagues, Benefits
Cons
sometimes long(er) hours
Awful and poor management.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Staten Island, NYMarch 20, 2019
Rethink before working in this kind of environment. Supervisors were unhelpful and over 60 or more employees left Lidl within 2-3 months. Lack of hours was given out and forced you to do a task on your own although you needed three or four people to help you.
Pros
Zero
Cons
Lack of breaks, overworked and unprofessional management
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCMarch 10, 2019
Wasn't a very organized place to work..but i had no problem with going in doing my job & loved what i did..if you work second shift you didn't know what time you were getting of
Big Mistake
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 7, 2019
Many issues that are overlooked then handled after they become a big problem. District Managers come and go all with different opinions and no one really has a set way of doing anything.
Good Culture
Store Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCMarch 7, 2019
The business is new to the US, but is making good strides in keeping up with the market. Growing pains made life difficult, and many things were not very well established.
the store manager
Store Associate (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Folsom, PAMarch 3, 2019
The store is nice, so as the workers, but except for the store manager ken. He's impolite, discourteous, ill-mannered. I never work or shop there because of him.
Pros
the pay
Cons
everything
Bad Company to work for
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Indian Trail, NCFebruary 28, 2019
Lidl is a very selfish company that does not look out for its employees. Cooperate managers treat all of their associates with no care. Very unprofessional to you when they promise you the world and give you nothing back in return.
Tough Place to Work
Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 28, 2019
Very stressful, not enough people to correctly do the job. Work, Life balance is non existent. If you like not being able to complete anything then this is the job for you.
Not for everyone
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 26, 2019
I have nothing nice to say about Lidl, 1 of the worst companies I've worked for in my working career. The managers from the DM to the employees in the store all unprofessionall, rude to each other and especially the customers. They fill they can talk to people any kind of way and nothing or noone will do or say anything back.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Caution to interested applicants
ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  VirginiaFebruary 25, 2019
While LIDL US certainly is not the worst employer, it does appear that the company may have bitten off more than it can chew. After being with the company since it's US inception, I can say that the hours are few and far between and "job security" has become a fleeting phrase as new empolyees are rapidly hired with little to no training and any sense of a mid level management position is nearly impossible unless you are outright hired as such.
Pros
variety of job titles
Cons
lack of ADA competencyand adherence
It was an okay job things just weren’t smooth.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAFebruary 24, 2019
This job was good but people there weren’t the best. They always said things behind my back which I honestly didn’t care about, it was just like don’t smile in my face but then talk behind my back. But I did have certain people on my side and management and communication was terrible.
Fredericksburg plant
Reachtruck (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAFebruary 21, 2019
The only thing i can say about this place is DONT APPLY. If you have a family you will loose them .Stay away repeat stay away.There is to much buddy buddy there
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Okay as a part-time employer if you are willing to perform a vast amount of duties.
Associate (Former Employee) –  Virginia (multiple locations)February 19, 2019
This company changes management frequently(4 store managers in 9 months), disallowing adequate performance evaluation of staff. Do not expect full-time status. However, The stores are fun to shop. I suppose being trained in every position is useful. My biggest gripe with Lidl is the inconsistency in work. They may schedule an individual for 30+ hours one week but then 9 hours the next. I like Lidl and personally believe that as they continue to grow in the US they will work out some of its flaws but I maintain that it is most realistic for individuals to only consider Lidl as a part-time employer if applying for a store position.
Pros
Nice break rooms.
Cons
Lack of hours
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Rockingham, NCFebruary 12, 2019
The working environment was great and the pay was good as well but as business got slow so did the hours. But other than the hours they gave me excellent training
Horrible company to work for
Associate (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAFebruary 12, 2019
A lot of favoritism, they only promote people they like. I was told by a manager the only way to make management is to be cool with the managers. When I pull 80+ weeks, then they decide to cut hours back down to 20-25 hrs after getting 80+ for months. Then when you ask for more hours, they decide instead hire 5 more people instead giving the hours to people already working there and asking for more hours. They never trained me properly, i watched new employees come in and get training I never was given, I never complained while other employees called HR constantly, they wouldn’t allow my significant other to join for our christmas party even though I’d of paid for her stuff she still wasn’t allowed to come. a bad boss can ruin good employees that’s the issue here. they have horrible management that don’t know what they are doing but when they get confronted with an issue and the truth know they are about they say oh well that’s not policy. It’s not policy for a pt20 to get 100hrs in a pay period but it happened. I don’t know how to run a company even though I was a district manager for 4 years that surpassed monthly quotas because my employees loved working for me but I don’t know what I’m talking about. Pay is good I love ge store and will still shop there’s but this isn’t company for people trying to move up the ladder.
Pros
Cons
Under appreciated, favoritism, nasty employees, bad management
Poor management and sad excuse of leadership.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Hampton Roads, VAFebruary 11, 2019
The culture in upper management was very poor. This led to constant turnover at the management level. The overall culture of the company is beyond horrible.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else.
Supervisor Are Just A Part Time Position
Store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 28, 2019
Weak upper management from the director level up and sometimes weak senior managers who are unqualified for their jobs. This is a theme for LIDL they hire unqualified directors and up to manage employees that have more experience than they do and instead of relying on their knowledge they make decisions that make little to no sense. They focus on unimportant issues such as your pto balances, work from home policies, and shifting responsibilities to other departments so they do not have to handle them. Managers and senior managers have no power to hire and fire as needed or really to make ANY decisions as they are micromanaged at every turn. The upper management even gets overly involved on promoting people instead of relying on line managers to do it and their recommendations. The pay scale is horrible, you have people with advanced degrees and experiences being paid the exact same as people with basic education just because they are at the same level. Additionally communication is a joke, they think it stems from he board level but that is the root cause that flows through the vps and directors who rarely provide enough information to do your job well. This is the misconception they need to resolve because the board should be sharing some information but the rest of the issues in communication rest solely at the vp and director level. Additionally if you do a project instead of allowing you to present, they present it as if it’s their own work like you are not good enough to present to the higher ups. Lastly and I’m going to bold this so they get it: PR STOP POSTING FAKE REVIEWS  more... OF THIS COMPANY AS WE ALL KNOW ITS FAKE. LET PEOPLE KNOW WHATS REALLY GOING ON SO THEY CAN MAKE INFORMED DECISIONS ABOUT WHETHER TO WORK HERE OR NOT  less
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Is you are Black, Gay and a Supervisor look out they will find a way to write you off, to get rid of you. other supervisors will discriminate against you.
Lidl US
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCJanuary 25, 2019
Lidl US is an amazing job. Sadly there are some people that do not pay enough attention to the needs of the employees. Favoritism happens as well. Information needs to be shared among all members of the management team. It’s a very fast paced environment and it is very easy to get lost in your own duties and miss out on helping others with theirs. Working environment was sometimes not the best because not everyone was pulling their weight. This is something that happens at too many places. It’s unfortunate but a reality.
Pros
Great benefits, fast paced job, great team environment when leadership works together.
Cons
Favoritism.
Good job, good atmosphere
Deputy Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 12, 2019
Great people to work with. Great company. Overall good experience. Lidl provides exceptional training, room for advancement and a fun, fast paced environment.
No stability or managerial support
Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VADecember 31, 2018
The management changes schedules everytime the wind changes direction. They make drop of the hat decisions without careful consideration about how things will change within the warehouse. The managers pile on work if you show that you can handle it and keep your pay the same even though you are doing everyone else's job. There are no repercussions for people who dont do their job, they just expect someone else to pick up the slack. They don't care about your personal life, I have worked 10 hour days 5-6 days a week and no one cares. If you try to call out for being sick they threaten to write you up. Management has a holier than thou attitude and does not care about anything that doesn't effect them. Management is condescending.
Do not work here, they promise a lot but will not follow through.
The only decent thing is the pay but it's not even worth it with how unhappy this place will make you.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Unfortunately everything else.
Bittersweet
Global Mobility HR Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 19, 2018
I loved working for this company when I started; I was driven, saved the company close to a million dollars, but when it came time to being recognized and appreciated, I was overlooked. No matter how much time I put forth, the efforts I made, I was never appreciated. It hurt to be a part of a place where I treated the company like family, but they only cared about themselves.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl US. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight