Lidl US Employee Reviews

Decent job
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Danville, VASeptember 15, 2018
Lots of responsibilities and fewer hours given after grand opening as well as after holiday season. Extensive but repetitive training and travel reimbursement.
Worst employment experience ever
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lexington, SCSeptember 9, 2018
They do not seem to care at all about their employees. They make it very clear that even though you may do the work of three people every shift you are still easily replaceable. There's very little appreciation shown to the dedicated and hardworking few employees they have. It's hard labor, back-breaking work. You will be assigned far too many tasks to have completed by the end of your shift. You will be scolded for not finishing the tasks assigned and you will not receive even so much as a "thank you" for the tasks you did bust your rear to get done. It feels as though nothing you ever do is good enough. There is constant miscommunication amongst the higherups and the peons. Some of the supervisors are micromanagers who speak to the employees as though they are speaking to unruly second graders (because they are also under extreme pressure to please the unpleasable). There are just too many issues they need to fix before I would recommend anyone work for this company.
Pros
Starting pay is good.
Cons
You do the work of two or three people, no appreciation
Talk a good game, but do not follow through
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NCSeptember 1, 2018
At time of hire was told would have every other weekend off and always two days back to back off. This never happened. Worked multiple shifts in one week with only six hours off in between shifts. Management talked down to their employees and pitted one against the other. Pay was rarely on time and could take up to a month to receive. Still expected to work when not paid and keep a smile .
Pros
good pay
Cons
Last minute work schedules
Good pay/No hours
Associate (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaSeptember 1, 2018
Pay is good. Management is horrible. Schedule is given out 2 days before the week starts. No hours. Started out at 30-35 hours a week, then dropped down to 6-10. Opened stores with 50+ employees, now only 15 on payroll because everyone quit due to management or no hours. What a shame! I'm glad I quit, best decision I ever made. Do not work here!
Pros
Wages
Cons
Management, lack of hours, schedule
Great Work
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCAugust 20, 2018
If you like working at grocery stores making 12.00 an hour Lidl is a great choice. There are many stores in the US being built or are already built to work at. The work is face paced and you are not giving a certain position, everyone works in all areas. from cashier, to stocking shelves, working in the bakery, and maintaining an organized clean warehouse.The management team are very reliable on answering question and helping any employee with assistants. Lidl is a great team to join.
Pros
High Pay, Paid time off.
Cons
PT 20 don't get benefits.
Run, don't walk
Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 12, 2018
Working for Lidl US (I imagine) is similar to what working at the Trump White House might be. There is very little communication across business units and things are always changing, but not in a good way.

The company's strategy is based on many 30-second-decisions. Someone comes up with an idea, and decides an entire department needs to pivot in that direction without deeper thought, analysis or consideration of scalability. Many managers should also not be managers and it's a shock to everyone they manage that they haven't already been fired.

The culture of the company is also toxic and on a wide spectrum. You either love it, or you hate it. Those who love it have often made the system work for them (AKA have sucked up to management) and have reaped the benefits. Or, are one of the many Europeans they brought from overseas who have only worked for Lidl in their life and don't know anything different.

If you are fresh out of college and looking for experience with a decent salary, Lidl is a good option. If you are anything but this, I would not recommend working here. You will be banging your head against the wall the entire time.
Pros
The building is clean
Cons
Pretty much everything
Do not apply with this company!
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAAugust 9, 2018
If you like harassment, slander, and watching your pay check never being right apply today! If you want a company that will slander you so you will never work again please apply! This company is cr1p! Im truly asking anyone that wants to apply for this company don't you will regret it! I am a single dad and this company has f'ed me over so bad to the point i cant get another job, so there for my girlfriend that I have known for 20 years is helping me out....its that bad! This company is cr1p!
Cons
everything
Good pay, no hours
Associate (Former Employee) –  Lexington, NCAugust 1, 2018
I used to work for this company. The manager I had was terrible and didn't work well with others. Barely worked any hours at all. They say they are flexible to your schedule and they are not. I would not recommend this job to anyone unless they are looking for a waste of time. Almost a year here and have seen 0 improvement. Constantly out of stock of items and throwing away a lot of merchandise from lazy employees not checking freshness and dates on products. Grudges are easily held against you and are a driving force to leave the company. Very unprofeasional company overall and don't see them lasting very long as a top competitor for any grocery store. I'd rather wait at the long lines at Walmart than ever shop here. I worked at 2 different locations and hated both. They pretty much drive you insane with no hours until you leave but then they become understaffed. It was a terrible experience
Pros
Hourly pay
Cons
Management, cleanliness, not flexible, unprofessional
Life of a Store Manager
Good pay
Fast Paced
Poor moral when understress
poor upper management
Still alot of work needed to be done internally
Difficulties In Career Advancement
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 24, 2018
Difficulties in career advancement, they like to hire from other Lidl Countries. Management is not the best. Some teams work long hours, depending what team you are on.
Benefits
Cons
Advancement
Fast pace environment
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJuly 23, 2018
Requires you to run the store. Must be fast and efficient. must be a team player. must be be able to multitask. must be able to follow policy and procedures.
Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 22, 2018
Great place to work starting out of college

Would say that you need to keep a note book with you at all times

Work is fun, but can be very intense at times
This place is a joke
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Graham, NCJuly 11, 2018
i worked here not over a year and its already shutting things down and getting rid of everyone. too much favoritism, lack of common sense adn just knowledge. They trained their mangers to be like robots to not even care about their employees. ALSO you never knew if you were getting a paycheck or if it would even be correct. ohhh i could go on and on with everything that is wrong with company.
Pros
the pay rate if you got paid
Cons
everything
poor upper level management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 19, 2018
poor work life balance the culture of the organization feels very transactional. Only highlight areas of opportunities but no praise or empowerment of store teams
Don’t go unless your absolutely desperate
Sales Associate (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Wake Forest, NCJune 15, 2018
Can’t say enough about this place, it’s god awful. First we opened the store with about 70 people and since then it’s about 20-25 that still work there between the people they laid off or people that just flat out quit. Mind you, this location hasn’t been opened a year yet. The whole “Lidl pace” thing has everyone running around like they have their head cut off. I had no problem with working hard for my pay, but being asked to do 3 pallets all by yourself in one hour is impossible, I don’t care what kind of pace you have. Staffing is a big problem, there’s probably 5-6 people that work a shift. I guess they think they’re the only ones paying $12.50 a hour (news flash, you’re not).
Pros
Great pay and benefits, you’ll need them after working here
Cons
Management, scheduling, everything else really
Worst US Company PERIOD!!!!!!
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Mebane, NCJune 12, 2018
This place is a joke! You go to work to make a honest pay check and when pay day come, you may not get paid.Where they do that at right? At Lidl. During training you're told what a great place this is to work and boy are you in for a rude awakening. Management is horrific. There is such a lack of communication no wonder this place is on the one way street to destruction. They play cut throat so much you never know who to actually speak to when you're having a problem. They have managed to create a dishonest hostile work environment among the employees to the place you don't know who to trust. They keep lawn mowers in the freezer area where food is kept. Sad, sad place to work. I actually love LOVE Love my job but hate the company.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Poor Management, Never know if you getting paid on time.
Very Repetative
SALE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAJune 9, 2018
It is a fast paced a very detail oriented friendly environment with an affinity for excellence. Everybody is friendly and non condensating unlike many other store and company environments. They genuinely care for their customers and staff.
Hated it
Supervisor-Assistant Store Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCJune 6, 2018
I was with the company for a year and some few months. When I say I hated it I hated it. I loved the actual job and everyday operations but the matter of how you are treated as well as others around you is downright horrible, The place is downright toxic. Ones who shouldnt be praised are and vice versa. I have seen some of the best people come through the doors there and sadly because of pay issues, moral issues, and downright disrespect they leave! Now that I have joined the Lidl train that has left I would tell anyone LEAVE!!! Lidl traps people to think they cant make it without the pay or benifits .. They are good but you will pay physically and mentally believe me!
Pros
pay
Cons
poor management, hostile work environment, lack of growth
Not good
Associate (Former Employee) –  Graham, NCJune 6, 2018
As of writing this, LIDL is cutting people off. A large portion of upper management was let go and now the rest of upper is looking to cut elsewhere.

Employed for a year now, mamagement is all but gone, ESS monotoring is absent, the shift leads were voted in by a popular vote instead of qualified individuals, and overall atmosphere is stressful and tense.

Wait a year to see if the company recovers as pay and benefits themselves are great(but no word of a raise after 1 year raise)

I gave the company my all, and have only got stress and frustration in return.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Everything else
Very unfair place to work
Store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCJune 5, 2018
The job is great the management is TERRIBLE if you want to work here you have to decide if you value Money or a piece of mind and if your not part of management more than likely you will not have a full time position. If the store manager or dm likes you you will be fine at lidl but if not watch out.
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl US. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7

See reviews about

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.6

2.2Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight