Lidl US Employee Reviews

2.7
Ratings breakdown
Featured review
Lidl US selected this as a representative review
Just a great company to work for
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Hampton Roads, VAJuly 10, 2017
Great company great co workers room to grow and move up in thr company great wages great benefits package very well put together building's great products
Pros
Great pay
Cons
N/a
This place is a joke
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Graham, NCJuly 11, 2018
i worked here not over a year and its already shutting things down and getting rid of everyone. too much favoritism, lack of common sense adn just knowledge. They trained their mangers to be like robots to not even care about their employees. ALSO you never knew if you were getting a paycheck or if it would even be correct. ohhh i could go on and on with everything that is wrong with company.
Pros
the pay rate if you got paid
Cons
everything
poor upper level management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 19, 2018
poor work life balance the culture of the organization feels very transactional. Only highlight areas of opportunities but no praise or empowerment of store teams
Don’t go unless your absolutely desperate
Sales Associate (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Wake Forest, NCJune 15, 2018
Can’t say enough about this place, it’s god awful. First we opened the store with about 70 people and since then it’s about 20-25 that still work there between the people they laid off or people that just flat out quit. Mind you, this location hasn’t been opened a year yet. The whole “Lidl pace” thing has everyone running around like they have their head cut off. I had no problem with working hard for my pay, but being asked to do 3 pallets all by yourself in one hour is impossible, I don’t care what kind of pace you have. Staffing is a big problem, there’s probably 5-6 people that work a shift. I guess they think they’re the only ones paying $12.50 a hour (news flash, you’re not).
Pros
Great pay and benefits, you’ll need them after working here
Cons
Management, scheduling, everything else really
Worst US Company PERIOD!!!!!!
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Mebane, NCJune 12, 2018
This place is a joke! You go to work to make a honest pay check and when pay day come, you may not get paid.Where they do that at right? At Lidl. During training you're told what a great place this is to work and boy are you in for a rude awakening. Management is horrific. There is such a lack of communication no wonder this place is on the one way street to destruction. They play cut throat so much you never know who to actually speak to when you're having a problem. They have managed to create a dishonest hostile work environment among the employees to the place you don't know who to trust. They keep lawn mowers in the freezer area where food is kept. Sad, sad place to work. I actually love LOVE Love my job but hate the company.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
Poor Management, Never know if you getting paid on time.
Very Repetative
SALE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Manassas, VAJune 9, 2018
It is a fast paced a very detail oriented friendly environment with an affinity for excellence. Everybody is friendly and non condensating unlike many other store and company environments. They genuinely care for their customers and staff.
Hated it
Supervisor-Assistant Store Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCJune 6, 2018
I was with the company for a year and some few months. When I say I hated it I hated it. I loved the actual job and everyday operations but the matter of how you are treated as well as others around you is downright horrible, The place is downright toxic. Ones who shouldnt be praised are and vice versa. I have seen some of the best people come through the doors there and sadly because of pay issues, moral issues, and downright disrespect they leave! Now that I have joined the Lidl train that has left I would tell anyone LEAVE!!! Lidl traps people to think they cant make it without the pay or benifits .. They are good but you will pay physically and mentally believe me!
Pros
pay
Cons
poor management, hostile work environment, lack of growth
Not good
Associate (Former Employee) –  Graham, NCJune 6, 2018
As of writing this, LIDL is cutting people off. A large portion of upper management was let go and now the rest of upper is looking to cut elsewhere.

Employed for a year now, mamagement is all but gone, ESS monotoring is absent, the shift leads were voted in by a popular vote instead of qualified individuals, and overall atmosphere is stressful and tense.

Wait a year to see if the company recovers as pay and benefits themselves are great(but no word of a raise after 1 year raise)

I gave the company my all, and have only got stress and frustration in return.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Everything else
Very unfair place to work
Store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCJune 5, 2018
The job is great the management is TERRIBLE if you want to work here you have to decide if you value Money or a piece of mind and if your not part of management more than likely you will not have a full time position. If the store manager or dm likes you you will be fine at lidl but if not watch out.
Working at Lidl
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCJune 4, 2018
Typical day at work is good and fun because we all work together and get along well. I learned how to read planograms and how to carry a grocery store which is different from a clothing store.
No Opportunity for Advancement
Senior Logistics Analyst (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMay 31, 2018
Lack of opportunity for movement within the company. Communication within departments is lacking. Upper management does not seem to have a plan for the future of the company.
decent place to work.
Cashier and Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Greenville, NCMay 22, 2018
sometimes the managers can be very sarcastic but you have to try not to take it to the heart. but its like any other work day. you have A good day and you have a bad day. fast-paced but most days its slow and you don't have to do much especially after you cleaned around your area and took care all of the customers. the culture is different every week and they have magazines where they tell you what's going on this week and what's going to be on sale next week.
Pros
good benefits, pay rate
Cons
sarcastic managers, no discounts
Good pay, terrible management
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Havelock, NCMay 21, 2018
The pay was good but the store manager and district manager made the job absolutely unbearable. Among other things, they would always schedule each shift with the bare minimum amount of people working, making us understaffed every single shift and leaving each employee to do the work of two employees. It was very difficult for anyone to get the number of hours they needed, leading to about 85% of store associates having to get second jobs.
Pros
Good pay, schedule flexibility
Cons
Management, minimal hours
Store Manager
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  USMay 16, 2018
Learned alot but not a lot of managers apply the knowledge give so the extensive training is kind of a waste. Have not delivered what was promised. IT support is pitiful. I enjoy the camaraderie with the different people I work with. This is not rocket science, it selling groceries.
Most First Hires Have Left In Less Then A Year
Cashier/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMay 8, 2018
I was "Wave 1" first hire group for this new company. Very exciting at first however it became clear this company was grossly mismanaged! No leadership, confused supervisors made for very unhappy associates. Most toxic place I ever worked! Lidl paid us top wage for retail associates yet we all left in huge numbers. That speaks for itself!
Pros
Great associates to work with
Cons
Abusive managers, broken promises made during 6 weeks of training
Why did I do this again?
Manager (Former Employee) –  SCMay 4, 2018
Gosh, where to start.
Extremely competitive. DM too hands on and very miromanaging to the point where motivation is not in the Lidl vocabulary. Not motivational from higher management, very demotivating and fear culture is 100% since this company changes EVERYDAY!
On average the store will have a total of 10 employees working throughout the day... this includes associates, supervisors and managers. These employees are to run the store in its entirety...kpi, work stock, warehouse, sales floor, register, exterior, plannograms, ordering, bakery, office work, maintenance, housekeeping.... I could go on.... get everything done in the shortest amount of time possible.... or else.
Training did NOT prepare you for the terrible work life at Lidl. The endless “why didn’t you get this done?” Routine. Honestly... if you like to get beat down and get back up again and again and again on the daily... Lidl is right for you.
Pros
Benefits. PTO. Occasional Sunday off. Good training. Great prices.
Cons
Time management, Lack of employee retention, Productivity is more important than people, Fear culture
Limited
Purchasing Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 24, 2018
Read reviews and make your decision based on whether you value money or piece of mind and dignity. Whatever you choose remember that on your worst day there.
Company is good, raleigh store is horrible
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 22, 2018
The store I worked at was horrible. Company isn't bad, just the worst store manager I've ever had the pleasure of working for. No management skills whatsoever, follows a do as I say not as I do mentality, pits employees against each other, and creates a horrible work environment
lack of structure from upper team members
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, SCApril 19, 2018
Lidl is a great company if you get into the right store with managers and district managers that care for their stores and employees. my store did not
Pros
work employees and customers
Cons
lack of structure
A Great Place To Work
HR Talent Acquisition Sourcer (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 18, 2018
Great diverse community of people, working towards a common goal! You are always constantly learning in a fast paced work space. The work is challenging and rewarding!
Pros
Great place to grow and learn
Cons
New Company to the United Stated
Its a good job!
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 17, 2018
Its a great fast place to work if you dont mind the stress that comes from so many people trying to figure out how to solve problems that they see as major when others need to be addressed first