Lidl US Pay & Benefits reviews

Featured review
Lidl US selected this as a representative review
Exciting times to be part of Lidl US
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 20, 2018
I have been working for Lidl US HQ for over 2 years now and I really enjoy it. It is a very fast paced work environment, which also means you learn a lot - since no day is the same. If you are a looking for a paper pusher 9-5 job, this is probably not the environment for you. But if you are looking for a challenge and you want to grow personally and professionally, this might be the right company for you. I have learned so much already, since you will get the responsibility to own your projects through and through. The culture is fun, and I have found friends in my colleagues. There are times, where you need to put in extra hours, but my line manager always makes sure, that this is leveled at quieter times. I love working with people from all over the world and US. I can recommend working here.
Pros
Career Opportunity, Colleagues, Benefits
Cons
sometimes long(er) hours
Fun place to work, horrible management, horrible schedule
Associate (Current Employee) –  South CarolinaMarch 29, 2019
Lidl is fun to work at if you like the people you work with although you get yelled at if you are seen talking to another associate while working. It’s a fast paced job and a lot of work. Management is horrible and are very unprofessional and unorganized, they also pick favorites. The pay is good. You get ok benefits. The schedule is never the same shift you get random shifts everyday. This job is full of broken promises and don’t recommend working there.
Pros
Good breaks and benefits
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Rockingham, NCFebruary 12, 2019
The working environment was great and the pay was good as well but as business got slow so did the hours. But other than the hours they gave me excellent training
Supervisor Are Just A Part Time Position
Store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJanuary 28, 2019
Weak upper management from the director level up and sometimes weak senior managers who are unqualified for their jobs. This is a theme for LIDL they hire unqualified directors and up to manage employees that have more experience than they do and instead of relying on their knowledge they make decisions that make little to no sense. They focus on unimportant issues such as your pto balances, work from home policies, and shifting responsibilities to other departments so they do not have to handle them. Managers and senior managers have no power to hire and fire as needed or really to make ANY decisions as they are micromanaged at every turn. The upper management even gets overly involved on promoting people instead of relying on line managers to do it and their recommendations. The pay scale is horrible, you have people with advanced degrees and experiences being paid the exact same as people with basic education just because they are at the same level. Additionally communication is a joke, they think it stems from he board level but that is the root cause that flows through the vps and directors who rarely provide enough information to do your job well. This is the misconception they need to resolve because the board should be sharing some information but the rest of the issues in communication rest solely at the vp and director level. Additionally if you do a project instead of allowing you to present, they present it as if it’s their own work like you are not good enough to present to the higher ups. Lastly and I’m going to bold this so they get it: PR STOP POSTING FAKE REVIEWS  more... OF THIS COMPANY AS WE ALL KNOW ITS FAKE. LET PEOPLE KNOW WHATS REALLY GOING ON SO THEY CAN MAKE INFORMED DECISIONS ABOUT WHETHER TO WORK HERE OR NOT  less
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Is you are Black, Gay and a Supervisor look out they will find a way to write you off, to get rid of you. other supervisors will discriminate against you.
Lidl US
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Goose Creek, SCJanuary 25, 2019
Lidl US is an amazing job. Sadly there are some people that do not pay enough attention to the needs of the employees. Favoritism happens as well. Information needs to be shared among all members of the management team. It’s a very fast paced environment and it is very easy to get lost in your own duties and miss out on helping others with theirs. Working environment was sometimes not the best because not everyone was pulling their weight. This is something that happens at too many places. It’s unfortunate but a reality.
Pros
Great benefits, fast paced job, great team environment when leadership works together.
Cons
Favoritism.
Be better off working a temp job at leasy u are getting paid
Assistant manager (Current Employee) –  Burlington, NCDecember 10, 2018
When I was there things were great until the pay issues happened and the right to get my money is troublesome it took me to leave to get paid the rest of my money and also they hire u part time so there is the struggle
Pros
New company alot of potential
Cons
Not paying on time
Productive and fast paced
Retail Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VADecember 8, 2018
Lidl is a good part time company to work for. There are chances for advancement but very little. There are no raises. Can be a fun place to work for. I recommend as a part time employer but not as a career.
Pros
Paid time off
Cons
Inconsistencies
A Disorganized and Uncertain Future
Packaging Associate (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 16, 2018
While adaptability is a good trait for any employee, it's unreasonable to expect entire departments to change procedures every 2-3 months. The lack of consistency is confusing, and a lot of teams are left wondering what's going to come next instead of what needs to be done now.

Rushed store openings, rushed product and promotional development and hastily prepared processes at the beginning have really created problems for the current employees. Anyone who is getting hired recently is pretty much cleaning up the mess others left from launch.

Lots of turnover, don't expect to be working with the same people for too long. The only ones who are there long are managers, and some of them don't know much about the departments they run.
Pros
Clean office, nice team members, and some benefits are good
Cons
Upper management, Hr, procedures, and commuter benefits don't keep up with rising prices
Real estate dept. is inefficient, continual making changes
Real Estate Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 30, 2018
Executive management has been changing, not do they listen to feedback from those in the field acquiring/developing real estate. Middle management does not has unrealistic expectations.

Typical week is spent coor. with engineers, researching potential sites, contacting Owners to purchase property, and managing property that has been acquired (if not under construction.)
Pros
Compensation is decent, PTO good, insurance is decent.
Cons
Mgmt does not listen to those in the field, inefficient, data is not centralized
European management, not open to ideas
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCOctober 29, 2018
Long 12+ hours a day in store working to do tasks that should not be the responsibility of a District Manager. Arbitrary measures put in place to skip over people of color from advancement opportunities. Inappropriate feedback given on store operational performance. A culture led by fear of Germany thinking Americans cannot succeed and therefore chaotic and stressful environments when higher ups are in the stores. Worst career move thus far.
Pros
salary
Cons
EVERYTHING else.
Great place to start a career
Manager (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VASeptember 25, 2018
I learned a lot with Lidl and would absolutely continue to learn as I progressed. Lidl gives you a ton of responsibility and the compensation is very good, both in terms of salary and in terms of benefits. The challenge that Lidl faces is it burns through people. It compensates well and it owns you. If you are not traveling often (which is a great opportunity but gets overwhelming after while), you are working very long hours, sometimes both together. I am all for hard work, but it is difficult to find a balance. Overall, it was a great place to learn and I love the people I work with, but the pace is not sustainable for more than a few years.
Decent job
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Danville, VASeptember 15, 2018
Lots of responsibilities and fewer hours given after grand opening as well as after holiday season. Extensive but repetitive training and travel reimbursement.
Talk a good game, but do not follow through
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wilson, NCSeptember 1, 2018
At time of hire was told would have every other weekend off and always two days back to back off. This never happened. Worked multiple shifts in one week with only six hours off in between shifts. Management talked down to their employees and pitted one against the other. Pay was rarely on time and could take up to a month to receive. Still expected to work when not paid and keep a smile .
Pros
good pay
Cons
Last minute work schedules
Good pay/No hours
Associate (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaSeptember 1, 2018
Pay is good. Management is horrible. Schedule is given out 2 days before the week starts. No hours. Started out at 30-35 hours a week, then dropped down to 6-10. Opened stores with 50+ employees, now only 15 on payroll because everyone quit due to management or no hours. What a shame! I'm glad I quit, best decision I ever made. Do not work here!
Pros
Wages
Cons
Management, lack of hours, schedule
Great Work
Customer Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Gastonia, NCAugust 20, 2018
If you like working at grocery stores making 12.00 an hour Lidl is a great choice. There are many stores in the US being built or are already built to work at. The work is face paced and you are not giving a certain position, everyone works in all areas. from cashier, to stocking shelves, working in the bakery, and maintaining an organized clean warehouse.The management team are very reliable on answering question and helping any employee with assistants. Lidl is a great team to join.
Pros
High Pay, Paid time off.
Cons
PT 20 don't get benefits.
Run, don't walk
Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 12, 2018
Working for Lidl US (I imagine) is similar to what working at the Trump White House might be. There is very little communication across business units and things are always changing, but not in a good way.

The company's strategy is based on many 30-second-decisions. Someone comes up with an idea, and decides an entire department needs to pivot in that direction without deeper thought, analysis or consideration of scalability. Many managers should also not be managers and it's a shock to everyone they manage that they haven't already been fired.

The culture of the company is also toxic and on a wide spectrum. You either love it, or you hate it. Those who love it have often made the system work for them (AKA have sucked up to management) and have reaped the benefits. Or, are one of the many Europeans they brought from overseas who have only worked for Lidl in their life and don't know anything different.

If you are fresh out of college and looking for experience with a decent salary, Lidl is a good option. If you are anything but this, I would not recommend working here. You will be banging your head against the wall the entire time.
Pros
The building is clean
Cons
Pretty much everything
Difficulties In Career Advancement
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 24, 2018
Difficulties in career advancement, they like to hire from other Lidl Countries. Management is not the best. Some teams work long hours, depending what team you are on.
Benefits
Cons
Advancement
poor upper level management
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAJune 19, 2018
poor work life balance the culture of the organization feels very transactional. Only highlight areas of opportunities but no praise or empowerment of store teams
Don’t go unless your absolutely desperate
Sales Associate (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Wake Forest, NCJune 15, 2018
Can’t say enough about this place, it’s god awful. First we opened the store with about 70 people and since then it’s about 20-25 that still work there between the people they laid off or people that just flat out quit. Mind you, this location hasn’t been opened a year yet. The whole “Lidl pace” thing has everyone running around like they have their head cut off. I had no problem with working hard for my pay, but being asked to do 3 pallets all by yourself in one hour is impossible, I don’t care what kind of pace you have. Staffing is a big problem, there’s probably 5-6 people that work a shift. I guess they think they’re the only ones paying $12.50 a hour (news flash, you’re not).
Pros
Great pay and benefits, you’ll need them after working here
Cons
Management, scheduling, everything else really
Hated it
Supervisor-Assistant Store Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mount, NCJune 6, 2018
I was with the company for a year and some few months. When I say I hated it I hated it. I loved the actual job and everyday operations but the matter of how you are treated as well as others around you is downright horrible, The place is downright toxic. Ones who shouldnt be praised are and vice versa. I have seen some of the best people come through the doors there and sadly because of pay issues, moral issues, and downright disrespect they leave! Now that I have joined the Lidl train that has left I would tell anyone LEAVE!!! Lidl traps people to think they cant make it without the pay or benifits .. They are good but you will pay physically and mentally believe me!
Pros
pay
Cons
poor management, hostile work environment, lack of growth
Not good
Associate (Former Employee) –  Graham, NCJune 6, 2018
As of writing this, LIDL is cutting people off. A large portion of upper management was let go and now the rest of upper is looking to cut elsewhere.

Employed for a year now, mamagement is all but gone, ESS monotoring is absent, the shift leads were voted in by a popular vote instead of qualified individuals, and overall atmosphere is stressful and tense.

Wait a year to see if the company recovers as pay and benefits themselves are great(but no word of a raise after 1 year raise)

I gave the company my all, and have only got stress and frustration in return.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl US. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.1Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight