LIDS Sports Group Employee Reviews

lids
Full time Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 12, 2017
I used to love the atmosphere at lids very open and friendly environment . Many customers would come in just to socialize because of how friendly and down to earth the staff was there . my old store manager left due to family issues and he was replaced and he had no idea what he was doing so I left because he was rude and made me do everything for him
Pros
no stress
Really enjoyed working here
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Joplin, MONovember 1, 2017
Really love the store. I was the store manager, so I was able to fully control what my store looked like. The embroidery machine was a lot of fun to work also
Best Place to be with the right Manager
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Lancaster, PAOctober 25, 2017
I have been with Lids Sports Group for over a year. it helped me with expanding my experience in the field that I am going to school for. The manager taught me how to deal with problems that may arise at a sudden notice and he also taught me how to run a store with the proper tools that is needed.
Great place to work if you're young and love hats and sports
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  New Hartford, NYOctober 8, 2017
As a manager there, I had the opportunity to work with some great people. The pace depended on the day or the time of year, as most retail places do. Stores compete against each other to try and rank best in the district and everything is sales driven. You also compete with your numbers from the year before. It's a nice job for someone new to the job scene or someone who is passionate about sports or hats.
Great Leadership, but low paying company with little growth potential
Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INSeptember 28, 2017
LIDS hires out of college store managers with little to no experience to be able to pay the absolute minimum - even though they are an organization with top notch margins and have the ability to pay high quality people - they simply won't. You'll hear good things about promotion, but don't count on going past the SM level.
no advancement
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDAugust 30, 2017
they ask for input or feed back then do nothing to help or change things. you can put all your blood sweat at tears into your store and no one cares. you cant move above a store manager unless your willing to relocate. they don't care about their employees just their bottom line
Great
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairview Heights, ILAugust 30, 2017
LIDS Sports Group is a great job for any young professional looking to get his/her foot in the door in the sports sales industry. The opportunities to grow within LIDS are also substantial.
Cool Job!
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Hyattsville, MDAugust 7, 2017
- Great customer service
- Upbeat work place
- Enjoy the sports aspect of the job
- Enjoy the conversations and relationships developed with customers
Boring place to work.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 29, 2017
This location is constantly short staffed due to it's size which makes it very difficult for a 9 month pregnant woman to manage on her own.. As well as the heavy workload, the lack of staff makes it easy for customers to steal without being caught.
Pros
Employee discount.
Cons
Short staffed, poor management, low pay for management position.
Normal Retail Management
District Manager in Training, Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NYJuly 13, 2017
Lids was a fun, enjoyable, but difficult place to work in. Being a small box store, Lids was a difficult to work in. As a store manager, your hours at Lids were atrocious. While I was there, we were only getting half time for hours over 40. On the positive side, it was a lot of fun to interact with customers and provide customer service to fellow sports fans.
Pros
Fun, atmosphere
Cons
Hours, compensation
The store transferred me to a new location and then dissolved the location.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 13, 2017
Meet greet customers. Help with special ordered. Made out work schedule. Unpack boxes, Receive shipments. Management was easy to work with at other locations.
Pros
I love sports so it was a pleasure working and seeing the new designs.
Cons
Downsizing
Great culture but leadership is chaotic and disconnected
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Zionsville, INJuly 10, 2017
If you are looking for a company to start your career and you love sports and brands, this company may be a perfect fit for you. However, pay is below industry standards and developing people and creating opportunity has been a miss for several years.
Management is disconnected from the needs of their employees and more concerned about their own interests than providing leadership and timely guidance for all levels of their team. Systems are archaic.
Pros
The people and a new building with plenty of space to grow.
Cons
Pay is below company standards, developing others
Upbeat workplace with energetic team!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALJuly 9, 2017
Productive and highly upbeat environment to work in. My favorite part of my job was meeting and helping so many unique individuals,and being able to make my customers day by not only assessing their needs,but actually engage in conversation with them. Everyday was a great day,regardless of if business was slow or steady. Always approached the day with a clear mindset and multiple goals to reach.
Pros
Incredible team, upbeat environment, organized, location was awesome.
Cons
The size of the store was quite small making things complicated when crowded.
Fun Place. Bad Money
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaJune 30, 2017
Great atmosphere. Awesome place to work. Just not enough compensation for the hours we put in. Other than that, I love it. Easiest job EVER. DSM was very relaxed.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
very little pay
Best Job Ever
District Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJune 22, 2017
This company is excellent for young professionals looking to move up quick and have a lot of fun. The most family oriented atmosphere and great access to various sports industries. Pay needs to be more competitive to retain high potential candidates.
Poor management and poor compensation
Assistant Manager, Lids Clubhouse (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHJune 5, 2017
Managers are unprofessional in dealing with employees. They have not been reliable at all. There is high turnover in employees because we are not compensated for the amount of work that we do. However, I do enjoy the sports-centered atmosphere and interacting with fans.
Lack of management knowledge
Assistant store manager (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXJune 5, 2017
Everything from the time I started as a Assistant Manager was out of line, and i had no idea because my manager in charge of me didn't even know. His lack of training caused me not only to quit but to not care for the company. I also tried to talk to District managers about the problems but they seemed like they didn't care. I would suggest this job to someone in high school, but other than that I wouldn't ever refer anyone to what I had to experience with LIDS.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  West Nyack, NYMay 31, 2017
Great place. Great staff, good training for your position of choice. Opportunities to be promoted, and decent training once you have been promoted to a new position.
productive and fun, sports related topics.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Northgate, WAMay 26, 2017
It's a great place. It's fun and fast paced, friendly and driven. The people are always fun to be around and there isn't often a dull moment. Meeting athlete's is ample as well.
Pros
meet athletes
Cons
normal retail problems.
Worked for 10 years
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXMay 22, 2017
Worked here for 10 years, started as part time sales associate worked up to district manager. Relocated several times for this company while in training program.