Life Storage Employee Reviews

Hazardous for your health
Associate Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 12, 2019
The only valuable thing I learned was how to manage customer accounts. Training was literally sitting in front of a computer for a week. My store manager was horrible at leading by example and also extremely rude to not only to employees but customers. I was intentionally put on the schedule to work 34+ hours a week without any benefits and threatened to be terminated on multiple occasions if I didn’t force customers to give the company a good review. The facilities are rodent, bug and lizard infested and they don’t want to compensate customers for any of the damage. I was forced to remove feces,rodents and bugs without the proper items such as mask so I wouldn’t breath in toxic fumes. If a customer only buy a unit it is not good enough they are all about money and want you to manipulate customers into buying their products only even if the customer have their own moving supplies.
Pros
Managing customer accounts
Cons
Improper training, no benefits, rodents, threats
The company is a joke.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 20, 2019
Rates are outrageous for customers, poorly managed stores, area managers are all rude as heck when you need them. No benefits, no PTO, no future. Company is doing shady changes at corporate to limit how much managers who manage more than one store make. One manager telling you one thing, another manager saying something else. Terrible communication.
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere due to no customers at all every day.
Cons
Literally everything else.
nice place to work
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Williamsville, NY 14221May 9, 2019
checked emails and answered them, got mail then coded them tot the accounts payable to pay, when the storage locations called for help called to work out the issue or dial into the store to fix issues..
Pros
nice place to work for
Cons
too much gossip
Fun and rewarding
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Wallingford, CTApril 22, 2019
This job puts to use a lot of skills. Cleaning, property maintenance, customer service, sales, and marketing. Most days consist of opening the store, doing security checks and cleaning the property, and helping customers rent units. The management in this company is excellent, they really make the job easy and fun.
Pros
Entry level positions offer management training.
Cons
Pay is pretty low compared to cost of living.
Stressful place to work
Associate Manager II (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAApril 17, 2019
Open the store/close Property maintenace/Management Customer Service. Stress from upper Management expectations. They do not pay adequate to work expected.
Pros
Working with a great group of people
Cons
No help, no reconignation.
Productive workplace, educates their employees.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Belleville, NJApril 11, 2019
Constantly learning each day. You learn how to work with customers, vendors, and your team.Company educates their employees on laws, auction process, and company policy. Management for this company is great, and a pleasure to work with.Hardest part of the job is memorizing the constant policy changes.The most enjoyable part of the job is learning each day, and advancing up the ranks of the company.
Pros
Job growth environment
Cons
Short breaks, and benefits
Great place to work esp if you’re just getting into storage or switching companies
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Milford, CTApril 10, 2019
I’ve worked for the company for a little over a year, it truly is a great company. Hours are long but the hour lunch is a plus. They recently added to the benefits that they give to field level employees. I worked in their Milford location and my boss was great he treated you like family and my area manager was great as well. They truly do promote from within as my boss was just promoted to area manager. The only reason why I left was because I got a job with the state and I couldn’t pass that up. Otherwise I definitely would’ve stayed. They offer bonuses for meeting quarterly goals. Two weeks paid vacation which is prorated for your first year and sick time. They use to have most holidays off but no switched to working four hours which isn’t bad when they give you a total of 12 hrs paid for full time and 8 total hours for part time. There’s some traveling involved but for the most part unlike most storage companies you’re at the store you were hired for. Most of the complaints you will read about this company are based off of pay which is determined on the size of the facility you work out, which happens to be my only complaint with this company. I understand a bigger property should equal a hire pay but at the same time a store manager at a smaller property should not be making less then an assistant manager at a larger property. Overall I do recommend this job as it is truly a great company and it is bitter sweet that I am leaving it.
Pros
Vacation time, bonuses, hour lunch, salary and management
Cons
Pay rate due to size of store
AM with power trip
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMarch 11, 2019
I really liked my job and the customers but the AM for the St. Louis stores is shaddy and sneaky!! If the AM doesnt like you personally your job will be affected. Your hours will be cut and you will be told to contact him when work is available. If your work ethic is great and you go to work that won't matter. Personal issues and Work are two different situations. You have a hard working employee who goes to work and does the job but yet was told your hours are cut with no explanation! Also reviews are pushed constantly but most reviews come from friends and family because youre always hounded by upper management to get them. Then you have to do a script and role playing all the time due to secret shoppers. The only thing upper management cares about is numbers and money! The employees are easily replaced and they dont care about you! High turn over for this company and I would not recommend anyone working for them! No advancement, training is bad, low pay, constant worry if youre going to have a job! Oh and dont make a mistake you will get wrote up for every single one even if management makes the same mistakes!
Pros
Customers/pto
Cons
Too many to name
If you were in tight with the Area Manager you were golden
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYFebruary 22, 2019
Loved the customers and other managers. Loved the job. Loved the fact that it was not a desk job, you could be inside doing work or outside work. Think that Area Manager was Very Unfair
Pros
Paid vacation, and paid sick days and health insurance was om
Cons
District Manager and some of the Policys
Looks Good From Outside
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Glenolden, PAFebruary 14, 2019
This company seemed great when I started. I thought I’d have the tools to advance. Instead, I was poorly trained, left on my own on auction days after I had repetitively asked for help, worked full time hours as a part time employee (and only employee) for a few months (with no end in sight). Management is awful. There is little communication. Everything is “Were a team! Work as a team!” But it was really stores calling each other, frantically trying to figure out who knows what procedures that you don’t do you don’t mess up daily work.

It is also unbelievably unprofessional to find out from coworkers if you got a job or not, when they should even know you applied. It’s also disrespectful to force your employees to work every day and not compensate them for the time they put in. Not hiring people as soon as the job is vacant puts uneccesary stress on the workers you have and let’s the quality of work decline. It also shows your employees you don’t care about them or the time they’re dedicating to the company.

I worked holidays and weekends and had no one to help me. It’s cheap and let’s the people who work for you know that they are just money to you. By the end I was honestly afraid something would happen to me on the property and no one would know for days.

I hate to present problems and no solutions, but Indont know any solutions to this. Maybe a higher standard of training. Two weeks on a computer isn’t training. And when a manager leaves, the employees need to be trained on how to run a store as you’re actively working on the hiring process. Keep your promises.
  more... Talk to your employees.  less
Pros
Never a boring day, coworkers are great
Cons
Management is bad, pay is bad, hours are bad
Civilized work environment
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV 89131February 8, 2019
As my second career this company has been fantastic to work for. There is a path to further your career and diversity and equality are the bases of the corporate culture
Pros
flexible hours and hours are between 9 am and 6 pm
Great learning experience, friendly work environment
Assistant Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 5, 2019
Life Storage has been a very reliable place to work. The employees are friendly and always willing to lend a helping hand and answers questions. I have loved training new hires here because they have all been eager to learn.
Pros
Health benefits, vision, dental
Structured
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAJanuary 30, 2019
I worked short term for the company as it was acquired by them and I decided to move on to another opportunity. However, while employed by Uncle Bobs they assisted in training, were very structured and were very customer service oriented. Bonuses were on the lower end and harder to attain than smaller family owned organizations, due to size. Overall, great hours, great company, great people and culture.
Pros
working hours, benefits
Awful company to work for! Do not apply!
Assistant Property Manager (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 25, 2019
I have been with this company since it’s transition into Life Storage and I have to say this is one of the worst companies to work for. You are constantly berated and pressured to make sure you are meeting the companies constantly changing demands. If not you’re fired. You will be expected to cover locations that aren’t yours CONSTANTLY and the company doesn’t care if you can afford the drive to the location your covering or not. If you don’t cover, you’re fired. You will be REQUIRED to get a certain number of reviews every single month. If not you’re fired. I have never worked for a company that thrives on threatening it’s employees so much as Life Storage does. And forget about having a voice or being valued. Not even HR has the time to deal with the MANY complaints they have received. If you start complaining..you’re fired. If you work here you’ll spend every day worked to the bone and feeling threatened that any wrong move will cost you your job. TERRIBLE PAY. AWFUL INSURANCE( which costs a FORTUNE). Please do yourself a favor and avoid this company like the plague because thats exactly what it is. Run for your lives. 🏃
Pros
Good PTO
Cons
Expensive insurance, terrible pay, hostile work environment
Dont fall for this dead end job
Associate Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXJanuary 24, 2019
They work you 28 hours so they wont have to pay you benefits. They distribute them in 6 and 4 hour shifts so you end up working 5 or 6 days a week for 250 dolars after taxes a week. They change personel constantly, very inconsistent policy and the area managers scream at you and ridiculize personel at meetings. HR is very impartial and nothing usually happens after complaints are filed. Bonus are a joke.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Bad culture, overwork you, they want you to do all the work, from selling to following up, to auctions to cleaning spaces, to filing paperwork but they only pay you as a simple assistant.
Its a pretty relaxed job
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Tomball, TXJanuary 12, 2019
Its ok working at lifestorage it allows me to take my college classes online and it give me and my family a place to live after losing everything and was almost homeles
Pros
Half days off
Cons
They are just getting dental and vision this year.
Amazing
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Northbridge, MAJanuary 9, 2019
Amazing company to work for. Never had a problem with my team. Team efforts are all equal. Amazing customer service skills and the training was very helpful.
Great customers at Life Storage
Property Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GADecember 28, 2018
Life Storage has too many policy changes. There are to many people in charge of the way daily operations are carried out. It can be very confusing to employees at times..
Pros
Paid time off and mileage reimbursement for out of town meetings
Cons
To many bosses
Poor
Worker (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 27, 2018
Bad management. No growth. They take advantage of you as a worker. I can not stress this enough ....... REALLY BAD PAY. You work 34 hours and no more because then they have to pay for benefits, that they do not offer.
Cons
A place to start at but not stay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Pompano Beach, FLDecember 23, 2018
This is a good place to start if you want to get into property mgmt. Some of the store managers are better than others, I got a not so good one. He came in early, left early and put all the property work on me. Every weekend you will be alone and sometimes much of the week because they need coverage at other stores. The pay is about mid-range compared to other companies. The insurance is good if you choose the highest cost option. The DM and corporate people were great. I left for better pay and safer location, but I don't regret working for this company. Just know you will work every weekend and usually by yourself. It can get stressful. The company is very generous with PTO and vacation/sick days
Pros
Hour lunch, benefits
Cons
Pay, working alone on a busy propety

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Life Storage. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.8InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight