Life Time

Life Time Employee Reviews

United States3,213 reviews

Found 3,213 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,273 reviews
lifetimefitnessgymmemberclubltffreehealthy

fun place I just didnt have a good suprvisor

my supervisor was problematic, didnt give anyone any breathing room, was always in a bad mood and would give herself a break without giving anyone else one.

Great company to work for

I have worked for Lifetime Fitness for over 10 years. I’ve worked in different departments. There is room to advance if you choose to. It can be cut throat in the sense that if you’re not performing well you can be demoted or lose your position. Just make sure to perform well at whatever it is that you do there and you will be fine.

Life Time insights

• Fair pay for job
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Trust in colleagues

Underpaid and Understaffed

This company and its HR department only care about incoming sales and corporate matters. They do not value their employees or uphold their "service champion" values. Higher-ups expect you to drop your outside life for anything.

Great management along with reliable co-workers

Working at the Life Time Kids Academy has been a great experience. The management here is taken very seriously which provides a safe environment for the children that come in. The co-workers are great and easy to get along with. Working here will build your life skills.

I'n the cafe it's always busy with many things to do

4yrs with the company and getting paid the same as newer employees. The pay is much lower than other companies offering similar positions/job requirements. Always told corporate decides on raiseses and its beyond managements control. No tips and no paid holidays except for xmas,Thanksgiving, NewYears eve.

Pros

Just emplemented 9/2022 one free meal for cafe employees. 30% off meals for other staff.

Cons

Low pay

All about the money

Broken promises and disorganized communication was the name of the game here. I was told as a department lead that I would be compensated fairly for my role in growing our revenue by over 400%. Instead, I received a pay cut after the way our pay scale was calculated changed. I never received communication from corporate OR my direct manager on this change and was livid when my check showed up with ~30% less than it usually did. As a result, most of the employees I was responsible for managing also did not know of the change. Our department was having wild success, and they cut our pay instead of rewarding us. Stay away from this evil company!

Pros

Free gym membership

Cons

Management doesn't care

Learn what you can and go somewhere else

The company tries to rope you in with having the image of a luxury gym, great friendly staff, and high compensation. In my experience this was very false. I was told within 3 months I should be making $30/hr and by a year in I could make $65/hr but it's very unrealistic goal unless you're very good at sales and willing to lie to members to get them to pay for very expensive personal training packages. Like many jobs there are people I liked and people I didn't, but my main issue is with management constantly putting on this image of wholesomeness and support but when I or a coworker needed them they would claim they were too busy or give you the same old flippant canned corporate trained response to your issues. It was a super stressful environment with lots of passive aggressive pressure to meet almost impossible revenue goals. Obvious favoritism towards the trainers who managed to be there for years. I could go on but I think my point is made. Just want to add while I was working there they raised the cost of benefits making it hard for all but the top earners to afford a decent plan and the compensation plan is overly complicated, hard to make a lot of money but easy for your pay to be lower.

Pros

Free membership for you and your family

Cons

Long hours, low pay for the hours worked, stressful, low morale, and exhausting

Easy if youre doing well. making no money if youre not

Good place to start out as a trainer. wouldnt stay long if a better opportunity comes along. Hours are sometimes strange as well when it comes to expectations. Expectations for individuals are not clear so hard to tell when you are doing well. Feel underappreciated.

Pros

Somewhat Flexible

Cons

Inconsistent unclear pay

Stressful

You are only great when you hit your goals. You could be on top for 3,4 months in a row and every boby knows your name but if you happen to fall short of your goal that particular month you are treated as if you weren't successful in the previous months. A little unfair doesn't you think?..... As a result that creates a super stressful environment for production. To management you are just a number.

Pros

Education, medical insurance

Cons

To many meetings.

Enjoyed my time

great place to work for many different types of people. I was able to bring my daughter in while I worked which helped immensely. Very friendly and encouraging environment.

Lifeguard and Lifeguard Supervisor; Fun workplace but could be improved

The job was easy and management was lenient. Decent pay for a summer job. Charisma and a good relationship with management are more important than diligence for job advancement, but diligence is still a factor. Be prepared to clean the pool deck and check pool chemical levels when off stand. Don't be the person who tries to get out of cleaning duties or begs the supervisor to change the lifeguard rotation. No breaks during single shift; 30 minute breaks when working a double shift. The discount is small, but workers get free membership to all clubs (even those ranked higher than the one you work at).

Pros

Lenient management, good work/life balance, tan, free membership

Cons

Small discount, long hiring process, a few entitled guests

Inflexible Schedule and Inconsistent Hours

Concierge department can be toxic and definitely is super inflexible and inconsistent. Your hours will vary from day-to-day. For ex: Monday you’re 1:30-9pm, Tuesday you’re 8am-4, Wednesday you're 11:30-8pm, Thursday off, Friday 3:30-closing, etc. No one gets consecutive days off except management. Everyone works at least one day during the weekend. You’ll get one day off in the middle of the week and either a Saturday or Sunday. Your hours could also be cut without notice (happened to my whole team because they hired too many people). Toxic in the sense that you’re trained by your same ranking peers which leads to your peers to think they are management and try to force others to do their tours and tasks as well as micromanage you. Let’s just say I’m micromanaged by my peers more than my own manager. Inflexible with taking days off or even using PTO, you need to submit PTO a minimum of 1 month in advance if you want off. Lastly, the customer base is mostly richer, entitled people who think they can do and talk to you how they want because of the price of their membership. I recommend this place as a stepping stone while you get other things together but you can get pushed out the department if they hear you are seeking other opportunities.

Pros

Free membership, food/training discounts

Cons

No work/life balance, short breaks, peer micromanagement

Great environment to change your life physically, can be stressful but rewarding.

It's a straightforward job for most departments. Members can be entitled but if you show up on time and work, your life is easy. I've had some good managers and some bad, it's no different than any other jobs.

Great place to work and meet people

The environment was fun and the people both coworkers and patrons where very nice however the management was a little messed up and they could play favoritism with their raise structure.

Underpaid, Undervalued, Career Locked

As a formal Supervisor at two different departments two times and spending over 5 years with the company itself, I was never able to move forward, my pay was near minimum wage and my workload was that of equal to my department heads, managing budgets scheduling. Now that I have been out of the business I get an email today. They want me back (HA) I have so many certifications, and a degree they can't possibly pay me for what I am worth I would never go back unless they can pay me what I am worth and stop micro-managing.

Pros

You get a Free Membership (For yourself only!) even if you are married or have kids what a joke...

Cons

Near no breaks, Long Hours, Lack of personnel Care, Poor Management.

Pretty good for a corp. Gym

Overall for a trainer who is not independent, LT is an overall good place to be at. Vacation time and 401k, health benefits. With all business in the trainer industry, you have to be willing to have a slow start to build your business as well as expect ups and downs with the seasons.

Fast paced work in hospitality, wonderful employee diamond membership

I started off as a LifeCafe FOH Team member, My experience overall was very positive. Making shakes and learning how to operate a cafe with my team. Strong Company values that are exhibited to members. I think that Lifetime could work on providing more outreach to employees in "lower level" positions, such as operations and cafe. I was so interested in becoming involved in community events and marketing but never was given an opportunity by management.I was often treated with less respect when I moved to operations (janitorial), by other colleagues!

Pros

Diamond membership

Very fun place to work at

Overall this place is amazing to work at everyone here is super nice the manager and employees are very cool and you get a free membership when you work here!

Pros

Free membership

Worst place I’ve ever worked

Worst place I’ve ever worked. Terrible management. As a massage therapist, you will be paid less than a receptionist. On their intro massages, you make about $8/massage and they’ll charge you for using their products on top of that….but you get tips so that totally makes up for it.

Free high end gym and good culture

Working at lifetime is great for people who want to better their health as well as climb a good corporate structure. Plus the gym environment is great!

Pros

High end gym, member engagement

Cons

When you workout you see everyone you know, but really no cons

HR Nightmare

I have worked at several locations in Michigan. This company is an HR nightmare! I have had so many co-workers have to file HR complaints.. the turnover is through the roof. I’ve never worked at a company this bad before.

Pros

Free Membership

Cons

Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Life Time. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Compare Life Time with

• Life Time
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?