LifeSouth Community Blood Centers Employee Reviews

Very Productive, exciting environment
HR Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLOctober 24, 2018
I loved my job at LifeSouth, I had to relocate or I would still be there, you could be a part of an exciting life of having an impact on saving lives.
Pros
Best Job environment
Cons
Not very competitive pay
Terrible place to work
Donor Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLOctober 21, 2018
LifeSouth may come off as a good place to work, they hype it all up about benefits, and vacations, and advancements,but it's honestly a terrible, I repeat, terrible place to work. It's completely about how much rear end you kiss. They have poor training, people play around entirely to dang much, they eat and drink food all day long, they play on their phones all day long, they sit around or walk around and do nothing!!! They discuss way to much personal business from their bedroom life to whatever the heck they want to. They don't care a thing about the employees. You could work 24 hours a day and they would still want more, except if you're part time and then they basically view you as a waste of space and give you scattered hours. You might be lucky to get 22 hours a week. Training is absurd! sit and read all dang day long, if you can even think to read with all the noise they make from cutting up all dang day long. So....sit read, watch some videos, read some more, and try to retain all of that junk and take a test on it!! Management MIGHT speak to you if they like you. Otherwise expect to be ignored to your face and talked about behind your back as if you don't know they are doing it. They think people are idiots!.Rarely will you get a schedule that doesn't change and you end up going some place different or working different hours. You can not have a life. You are expected to stand out in any type of weather and basically panhandle like the guys that twirl signs in the street.
You may need a job but trust me, don't work here.
Pros
Cons
The whole dang place
Wonderful co-workers for the most part
DONOR TECHNICIAN 1 (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 13, 2018
The center staff and the mobile team are WONDEFFUL co-workers. However, anyone in a supervisor/management position is the absolute worst. At least, the ones we have are. They show favoritism, they blatantly show they don't truly care about your well being, and the never show appreciation.
If you go out for the day and KILL it by getting double the donors you are supposed to get, they say good job, but you can still do better. They are quick to point out the flaws if you don't get the projected amount of donors. But slow to point out the good.
There is absolutely no home/work life balance. You have absolutely no schedule that works well enough to have a fully functional family life. And honestly, that is just because the supervisor and manager, does not take the time needed to make sure the schedule works. There is no reason for one crew to get off work at 11 at night and the same crew is scheduled for 5 a.m. especially when you have enough employees.
I'm not sure about all supervisors, but I know that our supervisor was on mind altering, mood changing, medication and it made it so difficult to work. You just never knew what you were coming into everyday or if the mood is going to change 10 times that day.
My number one suggestion would be to check who you are hiring a little more in depth.
I was not the perfect employee, by no means. BUT I would have been a better employee had they treated staff fairly.
They also promise opportunities for advancement in order for you to get raises. And then they take those options away if they feel the advancements aren't needed at the
  more... time.
Upper management just made it miserable to even think about going to work and doing your best while you're there. We get this blood for our local patients which should be the main reason. But clearly we get the blood for our management so they don't have to answer to the higher ups. They turn getting blood for patients into saving their jobs. It all comes down to center and mobile teams. everything is left up to them when it comes to getting the blood. If they aren't treated fairly, they don't want to get the blood for their management jobs to be secure.
Its sad that I worked my butt off to get into my position on the mobile team. It took MONTHS and several turned down jobs while waiting for this one. All for it to be a terrible job because of the management. I was so excited to get the position and started a career. Or so I thought. But it ended up with me being so excited to get out of there. I accepted a new job and an 100% happy with that decision and hope that my coworkers are able to do the same. Or upper management is changed.
Pros
The co-workers
Cons
Anything that falls under supervisor/manager positions
Avoid this place!
Donor Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Montgomery, ALOctober 12, 2018
Management is the worst. I've never worked with so many petty people in all my life! They say they care about their patients but believe me they don't. This place needs some cleaning house..
Pros
Money
Cons
Everything else
Great mission
Donor Services Technician (Current Employee) –  Opelika , ALOctober 5, 2018
The company in general has a great mission. Lack of communication is VERY stressful. As long as job is done and units collected, nothing else matters to management. Issues brought to upper management overlooked and not addressed.
Pros
Helping the community, Pto, benefits
Cons
Management, work/life balance
Excellent place to work. The company cares about you and you can be proud to work here.
Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Opelika, ALSeptember 5, 2018
Great place to work. You have interesting work and get to work with a variety of people. This is company that truly tries to save lives and makes helping people their mission. Some positions here may not have set hours but they are very clear going in and they try to make the schedule as fair as possible.
Pros
Meaningful work that is never boring.
okay place to work
Components Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAJuly 31, 2018
Management needs improving but PTO is awesome. Often overlooked for advancement. DS hours are hectic and often staff is overworked causing a high turn over rate.
Pros
Pto
manager was horrible
Medical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJuly 27, 2018
My particular manager was absolutely insane. Walk in a friday after a meeting and start demanding unrealistic actions at 4pm. Coworkers really nice though. Manager mismanaged the place, fired people at will, blamed them for her mistakes. Each week we never knew who was going to bed next. Eeeks.
Horrible company
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, ALJuly 19, 2018
This company will suck the life from you and toss you out with the trash. They are very crooked. They set unatainable goals and push relentlessly to meet them. This is a salesman position. This job will make you never want to donate blood again. Unfortunately it is necessary and vital to save lives. But it sucks that you have to support such a dirty corporation to save someone's life.
Pros
Obtaining experience, good pay, and raises
Cons
Horrible management, horrible schedule, very stressful environment
must have passion for helping others
employee (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJuly 13, 2018
Great place if you desire work that helps others and your community. The work was tough at times but always very rewarding. I loved the community involvement.

Want to know more about LifeSouth Community Blood Centers?

Ask a question
Very fun and fast paced work environment.
Donor service tech. (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJuly 9, 2018
Working at LifeSouth was fun! The donors were great, the management was nice, and the blood drives were always fun and active. Some of the days could be very long, especially during greek week and the big college weeks, but overall the job itself was easy. This is one of those jobs you will love as long as you block out any negativity.
Fast-paced, productive and highly skilled work environment.
Corporate Administrative Assistant - Legal (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJune 28, 2018
They have a great collective of knowledgeable and proficient employees. They provide great training opportunities to some of their employees with the opportunity to advance, depending on the role they fill.

The management is capable, competent and mission focused. They effectively run the organization in three states with over 800 employees. They are hard drivers, but they support each community they are involved in.

Although I am no longer there, I wish them all success with the great mission they have within the communities they support.
Pros
Great group of people.
Cons
Pay was to low to live off of.
Facilities Specialist (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJune 26, 2018
Nice environment, some of the staff were friendly and some of the management were friendly as well... best part of working there was my ability to sharpen my customer service skills
Cons
Short breaks
Fast paced environment
Donor Recruiter (Former Employee) –  FloridaJune 18, 2018
Unless you can work in one of the Donor Centers please DO NOT accept a position with LifeSouth.

If you are assigned to work on a mobile collection unit expect little or no work/life balance, low pay and substandard working conditions
Pros
Free snacks.
Cons
Everything else.
If you only need experience
Donor Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 3, 2018
Not to bash on the company because it’s a good company but mind you “COMPANY”. Managers there, well CERTAIN mangers are completely unfair. They take advantage of their employees. If it’s cold just know, you will FREEZE yourself completely as upper management complains how you’re not able too recruit donors, yet they (certain upper management) will sit in their warm office as you’re freezing (they don’t provide for anything except your scrubs in the beginning after that you’re providing for your scrubs at your own cost) . 😊 It’s a completely dog eat dog environment. Some staff are great and others not so much. Just know you won’t have a life, it’s completely under staff, NO COMMUNICATION what’s so ever. If you ever let management know you need a day off make sure you screenshot it and have your proof or else you’re SOL , just cover yourself because that’s all you can do. If you need experience go for it there but that’s all that place is good for. You will be doing the work of 2-3 people . Just know upper management will talk to you with NO RESPECT and will completely disrespect you. not worth the stress, disrespect of putting up with all that happens there for low pay, Just saying. The up side of it all pto starts when you first get hired and you do get to meet some awesome donors. I have more negative things to say than positive, goes to show how “GREAT” of an experience I had there. 😑😑
Pros
Awesome donors
Cons
Poor management, no communication, under staffed
Fun workplace with an inspiring mission goal.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLApril 12, 2018
I only have ever volunteered, but while there I have met so many great people on staff and as donors. It can get a little busy sometimes, but never something the workers cannot handle.
Productive and busy
CUSTOMER SERVICE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 11, 2018
Saving lives should be the ultimate goal, trying to get donors to donate is not always easy, but it is necessary to help the company grow. This can be hard and heartening when no one wants to donate and believe in this organization.
Pros
Pto, helping being part of such a life saving organization
Cons
Hours can be long.
The company is a joke
Hospital Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Cottondale, ALApril 7, 2018
Do no do not apply for this job. They dont care about their employees. You are expected to work/ drive in very extreme dangerous conditions. 2 Females in my area was stranded on the lifesouth bus for 24hours with no food or bathroom the company told the girls if they left the bus they would be fired. Training is not a priority. If youre not trained you do not receive a raise. Upper management tries to intimidate you
Pros
Pto
Cons
The whole job
Great mission.
Donor Services (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALApril 3, 2018
Our mission is great - saving lives in our community and educating our students about the benefits of what we do.

Management is extremely upfront about the schedule during interviews. They almost try to talk you out of the job because of the schedule, but everyone always says it’s fine and they can handle it to land the job.

Local management team is awesome - they listen, work tirelessly to protect employees from stress, but also challenge us each day. They strongly encourage a good work/home balance.

This isn’t an easy job where you sit all day doing nothing. You’re making a huge difference in your community and that comes with hard work. Teamwork is extremely important, and when team members call out consistently the work is made harder for the ones who show up.

Advancement opportunities definitely exist and earned by employees who consistently go above and beyond, follow rules, exhibit great customer service and teamwork.
Pros
Great PTO, making a difference in your community, great opportunity for advancement
Cons
The schedule can be tough, but management is completely transparent about that during your interview
Worst manager ever
Donor Services Technician (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 31, 2018
Paid time off was adequate, you start earning it in the first pay period, and you earn 6 hours per pay period it caps out at 200 and you need to use it or stop earning more. Good pay/ wages, although it is very stressful especially when you’re consistently understaffed. High turnover because upper management stinks so you have to do the job of 2-3 people.
Pros
Pay/ PTO
Cons
Management. Hours. Poor communication.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at LifeSouth Community Blood Centers. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8

See reviews about

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

1.9Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight