Lifetouch Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Found 1,788 reviews matching the search See all 1,865 reviews
Run. Do not walk
Church Division (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARSeptember 12, 2018
It was horrible. The church division has people arguing over who takes what assignments and then traveling to only sleep in your car and grab a shower at a truck stop or something because you are counting on your per diem as pay. It only took me 2 weeks to grasp how bad it is. Fellow “photographers” cussed customers IN CHURCH in order to get a sale. Just not worth being a trained monkey.
Pros
Can’t think of anything
Cons
Too many to list
It depends which division you work for...
Photographer/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CASeptember 11, 2018
So I worked in the preschool photography division in southern California. I took the job because after moving to California I desperately needed money. Since the employment is only seasonal (Feb-May and Aug-Nov) it is far from consistent, survivable income. I only survived by also working freelance jobs using a number of other skills I've accumulated.

For just a dollar or two per hour above minimum wage (And mind you, the preschool photography division has the highest starting hourly pay of any division in the company), you are expected to rapidly (within a day to a week) learn how to use all of their very glitchy equipment, programs, cables, and outdated equipment. As a veteran photograph prior to working here the photography was never a problem, it was the pace. You are expected to meet a child (3 months - 5 years old) instantly bond with them, convince them to pose cutely in three different positions and with different props, photograph all of these positions from back breaking or painful kneeling positions, edit, crop, select, and attach their photos in a program that is often slow, and print them while often filling out side paperwork in (wait for it) 1.5-2 minutes TOTAL...Yeah. Welcome to the greedily corporate and unrealistic expectations of lifetouch, and the key reason for the stress of all the picture day photographers.

There are countless other duties and complicated paperwork systems you must become fluent in which make working for lifetouch a nightmare, but the worst part is that the pay is ridiculously low for all the duties, stress, and soreness you will
  more... be dealing with, and there are NO bonuses to hold you over at the end of the season until the beginning of the next. You'll spend half the year unemployed and they expect FULL availability when you are working for them so forget having a second job to supplement your income unless you do freelance work and schedule weekend gigs.

Avoid this company if you enjoy having survivable income, any flexibility, keeping your back and knees healthy, or living without excessive stress and next to no gratitude from the company you work for. My lead photographer was great but she couldn't help with any of the problems I've listed.
Pros
In California you get paid 54 cents per mile for driving your own car.
Cons
No real bonuses, incentives, or fair pay and lots of stress and pressure.
Nice experience
Customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CASeptember 9, 2018
It was pretty nice to work in a customer service setting. Learning how to navigate the system of customers and how to deal with difficult situations at times, was only the beginning of what was coming my direction and it was preparing me for the best years of my life. And for that I'm very grateful.
Company's values have changed
Shared Services (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNSeptember 9, 2018
This use to be a great place to work. Over the years the benefits have gotten worse and seems like some shady business practices are in constant practice. Depending on dept you do have flexible working schedule. Management isn't helpful. It needs a turn around.
Pros
Flexilbe work schedule
Cons
basic benefits package, management does not support their employees
Management is unstable and poor
Assembly/Developer (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 8, 2018
Management was a couple years older than me and had a lot of attitude. Poor guidance and bad atmosphere created by her. She also will display favoritism and set false attributes to people without even knowing them. Never have seen her smile. Sent me home in the middle of the day after asking me repeatedly if I was "OK", to which I replied "Great" and cited for a "look" on my face. Expected to mind-read when there isn't anything else to do. No documentation or verbal instructions were given for work in downtime. It was shutdown for a reason.
Relaxed and fast
Shipping an Recieving (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INSeptember 8, 2018
cut and package pictures an inspect all pictures an correct any issues make sure it ships to correct address
How to operate in shipping
Hardest part was layoffs
Employees where great
Pros
nice people
Cons
lay offs
Productive and fun place for looking at pictures of children
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Chico, CASeptember 7, 2018
Most days at lifetouch were very productive when jobs were done right. I learned to look at pics of kids and young adults. I had to find any errors like damage to the film or imperfections on the pics. I got to work in different parts of the company. I worked checking group pics and rows and column pics. I liked working with some of the plant managers. It was a place that work productively and friendly people. The hardest part of the jobs was the long hours during the busy time. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with different type of people and looking at the cute pics of the kids.
Pros
Receiving rewards, nice stock options, and free lunches
Cons
Long hours, some restricted people, and group clicks
Amazing people and fun job
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 7, 2018
If you love to travel and go somewhere new everyday then this is the place for you. You are at a different place everyday. However, when they hire you, they tell you they put you at schools close to home and that you will be home before 3. WRONG. Most days I had to drive 1 to 2 hours to get to a school and I didn't get home till 6 or 7 at night and I had to be at the school at 6am. You do get some chances to travel out of town but thats only if they trust you.
You do loose the ability to use your car because you constantly have equipment in it.
I loved working for Lifetouch and they are some of the most amazing people you will ever meet. I lost everything to a hurricane and they raised money to help me and my family out.
They pay is a little low for what we do. I think we should get paid a little bit more than what some of the office staff gets paid because we do a lot more get down and dirty work while most of them are just marketing.
Pros
Fun people, new locations, free gas
Cons
Pay and having to travel far from home everyday
Great work experience
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 7, 2018
Truly enjoyed my time here. Department culture was all about team work. Everyone assisted with questions, difficult callers, placing orders etc. From management to "lower" positions never felt lost or confused or unappreciated.
Pros
hours, benefits, work environment
Lifetouch is a unique company.
Photographer-Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INSeptember 6, 2018
The overall atmosphere is great because you gain plenty of experience in different areas. You stay very busy photographing families, providing sales pitches, completing orders, booking appointments, hosting holiday events.
Account Reprecentative
Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 6, 2018
Order products, answer phones etc... Learned how to run reports, customer service skills Filemaker pro. Hardest part of job peak season you had to work many hours to reach dead lines. Great company to work for.
Pros
Very caring place to work
Cons
working 11 pm to 3:00 am in peaks season
Life at Lifetouch
Photographer and Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 5, 2018
You walk in to work in the morning and are greeted with a smile and a cheerful "Hello!" from the opening manager. You catch up with them and begin opening routines. Your first photography appointment shows up and you greet them pleasantly as you get them checked in. You show them to the studio you will be using to create beautiful, creative, and structured portraits of them and spend time with them creating a relationship with them. The rest of your day is full of laughter and smiles, whether it's with your clients or coworkers. You end the day with a smile and a wave to your team. That is a typical day when you work for Lifetouch. You learn professional photography skills as well as confidence and how to work/talk to people. The managers there are very kind and willing to teach you. The workplace is very open and diverse. The hardest part of the job is when appointments get backed up, resulting in upset customers and a cluttered workplace. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to be creative and show off your skills!
A great job
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 3, 2018
The job is a great job for people who are looking to make others smile. Its a great to put your people skill to the test. As a photographer, you make others boost their confidence.
Fun but stressful
Photographer/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  ArkansasAugust 31, 2018
If you love kids, and photography, this is a great fit.
Although the hours are not consistent throughout the year and it’s very stressful and busy in the holiday season.
Do not recommend for long term employment
LPSC Warehouse Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burnsville, MNAugust 29, 2018
Originally attracted as Lifetouch was an ESOp, shortly after starting Lifetouch was devalued my Executive Management in preparation for sale to Public Corporation.
Cons
Lack of recognition, no Merit compensation.
Life Consuming
Photography Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Eastern SeaboardAugust 28, 2018
If you like to live on the road this job is good for that, but if you enjoy being respected by the people booking your accounts you may reconsider. Being the grunt workers, the bottom of the totem pole, the photographers take the brunt of the improper booking. We work on commission only, so if the accounts are not booked well, we don't make a paycheck.
Pros
Flexible schedule, commission, working with people, benefits
Cons
No structure, commission, no lunch, at the mercy of the bookers
Productive office type work
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INAugust 28, 2018
I loved working at lifetouch. It was office type of work and I love that type of job. You was able to wear whatever u wanted to work. Clothes wise. Got to listen to head phones so your own music. Had a awesome retirement program.
Pros
Wear what u want to work
Cons
A lot of hours to work in a day and sometimes on Saturday
Highly successful and mature company
Satellite Manager/Salesperson II (Current Employee) –  Pendleton, ORAugust 28, 2018
Highly successful and mature company for high energy people. The job can be extremely stressful due to the seasonal nature of the business. This job is responsible for outside sales and servicing of accounts as well as managing a small staff of photographers.
Pros
Most Holidays off.
Cons
Limited or no breaks, including lunches.
Great Place to Work
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNAugust 25, 2018
People have a caring soul, dealing with children and products around children all day. Trying to create memories through portraits is centered around the business.
Pros
Great atmosphere and lots of opportunities to create memories.
Cons
Management is very niched and has lost focus on keeping the company profitable.
Great Overall
Studio Manager/Photographer (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNAugust 24, 2018
Overall a wonderful place to work and to learn more about photography. They are particular about their processes and will require coherence to their style and vision; Creativity is encouraged so long as you stay within the box.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lifetouch. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.5InHerSight Score

2.3Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight