Lifetouch Employee Reviews

Not your typical job
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 24, 2018
Working at Lifetouch is definitely unique and not like any other job out there. Being a photographer is very rewarding when you capture a great picture. Also, in my opinion, working with kids all day is really fun. A typical day includes loading the equipment into the vans, driving to the school, unloading and setting up the equipment, taking non-stop pictures until school is over, tearing down the equipment, then driving back to the office and calling it a day. This job could be amazing if it weren't for a few major flaws. First off, you only work half the year. This is a seasonal position and you will be unemployed for months at a time. Second, they only pay minimum wage ($.50 more in some places). For the amount of heavy lifting and the number of rude children you have to deal with, it's hard to believe Lifetouch photographers get paid as much as McDonald's employees. Also, I rarely received a lunch or any break at all. They claim we are allowed to take a lunch, despite signing a waiver saying we choose not to take one, but your coworkers are forced to continue working while you eat so you look like the bad guy. So much heavy lifting, so little energy to do so.. Another point to mention is that this company has an extremely high turn over rate. They will hire dozens of new employees in the fall, but almost all get laid off around the holiday season and will choose to not come back to work during the spring. In conclusion, Lifetouch has a lot of potential to be an awesome, fun job, but sadly, to me, it was not.
Pros
Full-time hours, working with kids, unique atmosphere
Cons
Seasonal, not paid enough for amount of work done, poor management, no lunch break
Great building a relationship with directors of the centers
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Corporate office in Eden Prairie, MinnesotaMay 24, 2018
Building a rep or with your photography team and centers directors made the days fun. Having the ability to help centers prepare for picture day is exciting, because we are a company helping to create memories.
Honestly not worth it
Photographer (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 23, 2018
You wake up bizarrely early. Communication sucks, does not pay enough. Its glamorized and makes you set up under 30 mins. You're responsible for very expensive equipment and you have to take it in and out of your vehicle. they don't pay expenses if damage is done to your car.
Good Sales Training/ Nice People
Photography Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  IndianaMay 22, 2018
Lifetouch was a good place to get solid sales training, and generally, the people I worked with cared about the quality of the work they were doing. The scheduling can be grueling during peak times and travel is extensive, but I was fortunate to work with a supervisor who tried to accommodate life events and vacation.
Not very forward thinking
Talent Acquisition Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNMay 22, 2018
With some different leaders in place this could be a great company to work with. I wasn't that impressed with the higher level leaders. They were not open to change/innovation. I liked many of the people I worked with. I prefer a more collaborative culture.
Pros
Discount on pictures
Cons
No covered parking
day at work
Photographer/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, NJMay 22, 2018
drive to the school set up the equipment and start lining up the student for picture day. i had to explained to the student how to sit and where to look and have them smile naturally. my regular day will be 2000 students per day sometimes if the school was big then they will send two or three photographer. it all depend if it was high school or grammar school.
Pros
differents places every day
Cons
gas is too expensive, travel
Fun at first but, gradually became extremely stressful
Preschool Photographer (Former Employee) –  Elkton, MDMay 22, 2018
I enjoyed working with Lifetouch the first year and half - I got to travel all over the southern region of Oklahoma and work with some pretty interesting people both within the company and those I met at various schools and daycare centers. Once I moved to back to East Coast, I had the pleasure of working with a variety of people from the Tri-State area. I also enjoyed working with the little ones at the preschools and had a lot of fun capturing cute moments for their parents. Traveling became more stressful though once we started losing photographers and had trouble hiring and retaining new ones.

While the people I worked with were absolutely wonderful, we were put into situations where we had to travel two hours (one way) to help cover other areas because we simply didn't have enough photographers. Traveling became very stressful and there were times my total travel time for the day was equal to or more than the amount of time I worked. Work stopped becoming fun and became more of a chore, and frankly I felt the pay wasn't worth the work.
There were times I was taken advantage of and was sent to places that the office would claim I agreed to do (I did not) and worked a special school events later in the evening or a Kiddie Prom on a Saturday, neither of which I gave my consent to do as they are considered "after hours" and I had a second job to worry about.

The new cameras and computer software were pretty cool at first, but once things became more and more advanced, the more things could go wrong and the more likely you were to have unhappy teachers/parents/center
  more... directors because you couldn't move fast enough. Most newbies got overwhelmed by the newer systems and usually quit because of that combined with lack of training and not being used to what is involved with Picture Days.

All in all, it was fun when it started (while it lasted), but I felt too much was done at once with adding more and more technology and less and less with hiring/training/retaining new photographers. It's not a job for everyone, so unless you really don't mind long traveling hours, children, customer service, and crazy productivity numbers, then this might be a job you can enjoy.
Pros
cute kids, awesome cameras, cool people to work with, gas compensation
Cons
long travel hours, crazy teachers/directors, high productivity numbers
Fast paced
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INMay 22, 2018
I enjoyed working there but it was very difficult to get time off in the summer for vacations, appointments etc. They worked well with your sched other than that
Lifetouch
Call Center Appointment Taker (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMay 21, 2018
Typical day was spent answering phone calls and scheduling appointments for the portrait studios during there busy season when they did not have time to schedule their own appointments. Management wrongly accused me of something I did not take part in so to say the least I wouldn't recommend working there .
fun job
Preschool Photographer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 18, 2018
if you enjoy working with kids and are a beginner photographer this is a fun job. not enough pay for you're entitled to do. company could be more organized.
Easy fun job
Picture Day Photographer (Former Employee) –  Farmington Hills, MIMay 15, 2018
Requires patience, ability to assemble their X1 system and lift/push 50 lbs. Need a lot of energy and customer service skills. New school each day so always a new environment and also work with other photographers on a daily basis.
Pros
Usually done working by late afternoon 1-2 pm
Cons
Lots of driving
Great co-workers but poor management
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 15, 2018
My co-workers were okay, but management was terrible. I would receive texts and phone calls all hours of the night to a schedule change for that day. Sometimes there would be no communication, the sales reps are the absolute worst, they do not care about anyone except their paycheck from their schools. People in management will throw you under the bus in front of school personnel. The management acts like they care to your face, but behind your back or in the off season they will stab you in the back.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
No breaks, long hours, miles on your vehicle, terrible management, and no benefits
Very Stressful work environment
Equipment Carrier as a Photographer (Former Employee) –  Avon Park, FLMay 14, 2018
If you aren’t dealing with stress from the customers because nothing was planned out appropriately then you are dealing with stress with your manager trying to figure out what happened to your pay (happened to me a few times).
Pros
You get to travel
Cons
No lunch breaks
Unstable Work schedule without guaranteed pay
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Bensalem, PAMay 9, 2018
Lifetouch is an exciting opportunity for those looking to continue to photograph, but their set scripts don't leave too much creativity. This job will wear and tear your vehicle, and be prepared to add thousands to your mileage.
Schedule is never guaranteed. You could be working all week, not at all, two days, or you could be gone for up to two weeks. Pay is hourly, not salaried.
Advancement is pretty much not going to happen. You most likely will be working the same position for at least a few years until any raise.
Pros
Photography, Almost always off Sundays
Cons
Lots of driving, poor management, low pay for a "full time job", unstable schedule, high turnaround rate
Fun but not an easy job
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMay 8, 2018
A typical day at work was getting up at 4am, driving to whatever school in south Alabama or north Tennessee. I set up the lighting equipment and background, photographed the school children for the yearbook, and then broke down the equipment and dropped off the film for processing. The hardest part was finding the schools with no GPS. The most enjoyable part of the job was photographing the kids.
Sales Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Okemos, MIMay 7, 2018
No advance. The people there are wonderful. The work environment is comfortable. Everyone is like family there. The workload is not that bad. Busiest months is fall.
Nice place to work
Photographer (Former Employee) –  Flat River, MOMay 6, 2018
It is a great company to work for, if you are adjusted to that type of employment. The hours can be a little crazy, and you definitely put drive time in while driving to different schools.
Not sure what else to say
Yearbook Specialist & Sales (Former Employee) –  NE PennsylvaniaMay 3, 2018
It was really a nightmare working here. Questionable business practices, work never ended. I received a day of on the job training and then the woman training me quit then and there and left me alone in a place I had never been before, working with a client I had never met before that day. I can't even explain in words how stressful this place was to work in. I think honestly it was just this particular staff that had this problem.
Pros
Cons
too many to list
Ungrateful Company Overworks Photographers
Photographer (Current Employee) –  Middleburg Heights, OHMay 3, 2018
Lifetouch photographers are over worked and treated like robots. Hourly pay is low, and photographers are expected to rush through jobs. Photo quality is often compromised. Photographers are punished for going over time, and are given no breaks or lunch. Lifetouch tries to cut costs at the expense of the photographers. There is almost no advancement or raises.
Cons
No breaks, no lunch, low pay, overworked
Great work place
Representative (Former Employee) –  Muncie, INMay 2, 2018
I have nothing bad to say about Lifetouch every day I worked there it was amazing! I wish I could return! They let you eat at your desk, you had a set routine and it was great with my school schedule.
Pros
GReat everything

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lifetouch. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.5

2.3Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight