Lifetouch

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction

Quick paced with great management and good pay

There were a lot of slow days working at lifetouch, especially outside of the holiday season. When in holiday season work was quick paced, stressful, and constant throughout the day and a bit rushed at times. Although the pay was okay the work environment was fantastic and I would recommend this job to anyone who is interested.

Long career

Learned so much through the years. A place for someone to start out as a professional photographer. You will to learn how to deal with people. It is photography for the masses. The money is not great and the hours can be long but it is a crash course. If you learn and get good at this way of doing photography it is a good stepping stone for future professional photography endeavors.

Pros

Training

Cons

Long hours and low pay

the children are great the company is not

Overall, the job itself is fine. The kids are mostly kind and compliant. It is common for the teachers and staff take their aggression out on the photographers. Management and fellow employees are likely to take frustrations out on photographers. It is common to be belittled, talked down to, and have little control over what happens to you. Many photographers have no issue with being openly racist or putting their hands on children to move their faces, positon their bodies, fix hair, and straighten clothing. I find these practices completely inappropriate, regardless of the time it saves; we shouldn’t have children being told they need to be touched by strangers especially during a pandemic.

Pros

Beng around kind children

Cons

Working with lifetouch.

Fast paced and Fun

Fun job but the pay is not great. It's a sales job that takes some artistic skill and patience. I loved the clients I worked with but the upper management was very out of touch.

Underpaid for stressful situations

It’s a good starting job but we don’t get paid nearly enough for what we do. I’m a supervisor who works on days off, answers my personal cell during weekends and middle of the night (off the clock), miss lunch breaks or any break at all. We constantly loose people and have to do three people’s jobs at a time. Been here 13 years and I make 1.50 more than those just starting out. And I’m their supervisor who trains.

Pros

Flexible work schedule

Cons

No breaks low pay

Job seekers rely on your experience.

Bad job

This job was a complete waste of time. The pay is pitiful and although they pay for your gas it’s not worth it. No insurance, minimum hours and lack of staff.

good entry level photo job, not for long run

not much room for advancement, high turn over job, not really a good work to social life balance. get paid mileage and drive time and you can constantly get overtime because of that.

love working here

very nice place to work love everybody everybody help out fun and games love getting up going to right place to work will work with your time if you need anything

Get to go everywhere and meet new people

Get to go everywhere and meet new people! There are a lot of rewarding aspects of the job. Like seeing the kids smile, laugh, and having lots of conversations! So you also have to be prepared for the commute. You will be going everywhere, so make sure you have a good car!

High Pressure Environment, Especially for Photographers

Lifetouch can be a great place to work depending on your specific job. I feel compensation is on the lower end with performance expectations at a very high level. Budget is a constant issue because it is very difficult to get the work needed done in the time budgeted. Exempt employees end up working a lot of hours with little reward from the company. You have to find your rewards in your coworkers and customers. Many of the positions are seasonal and the return rate of employess can be problematic because of the compensation. Some of the Shutterfly perks do make up for it. If you want some flexibility in your work schedule, this place can be good for youl

Pros

Shutterfly discounts and freebies, training, room for advancement

Cons

Long hours, seasonal, hourly pay is on the low end.

Jobs at Lifetouch

See more jobs

Minimum wage

Minimal work available, a seasonal job mainly. Not much reimbursement for traveling for milage. Would not recommend if you are looking for steady work.

Used to be a good place. Then it got sold.

Shutterfly has made a TOTAL mess of this company. Used to be inclusive (at least that *I* saw). Work colleagues became family. Learned a whole lot about photography and myself. Territories were locally managed. We had a great manager. NOW they've combined territories and made middle management almost useless. I (and a number of other veteran photogrpahers) were given raises at the beginning of this last season. Come to find out, that was ONLY because they raised the rates for incoming photogs. THEN, Shutterfly (the newish owners) changed the way mileage was reimbursed, and took away corporate gas cards. I would be LOSING more than the raise I was given.

Pros

Camaraderie amongst photogs.

Cons

Few breaks, horrible corporate climate.

fun place starting out but low pay

I really enjoyed working at JCpenny but you dont get paid for the amount of work you do. its a fun hands on job but when youre working alone its easy to get overwhelmed with clients

Poor hours/pay

You don’t get as much hour your work schedule is set based on every week availability and you know till last min no brakes whatsoever also you drive to school every day and sometimes that takes me about two hours to get to a school waste of time and money.

Fun job poor management

Poor management. No way to move up. Abruptly end to “season” with no notice. Great job just need better handling of workload/employees, better pay and better communication about trending work loads/work seasons.

Pros

Fun work if u like cameras but not stressful

Cons

No breaks. Long commute. Little pay. Poor management

Exhausting and stressful job

I felt stressed all the time when I was working with Lifetouch. The time restraints we were given were almost impossible. It was very stressful to file students in an entire class in only about 30 minutes. Getting to schools an hour before open and staying an hour later after they closed and then driving sometimes an hour or more home was just extremely exhausting. I burned out after such a short time. And the pay was subpar. The only positive thing was that we did get paid to drive to the locations as well. So that was a plus.

Pros

paid to get to job location

Cons

stressful, tight timelines, had to drive back to office everyday, too much equiptment to deal with in my car everyday

Love them!

I've worked for lifetouch for 4 years and in two different states, I love this company. It's hard work and some days are long but its so rewarding.

Pros

Gas card

Cons

Not ever knowing what time you'll be off work.

Great place to work until I moved

I worked for this company for a couple years. They were a good place to work for a while. The hours are very early, but you get done early. Fall is a very busy time, so you can get lots of hours. The management in my area was encouraging and supportive most of the time to those that wanted to learn more and take on more responsibility. At one point, they came to me about promotion opportunities and then never followed through. We went without crucial members of our production team for months while they dragged their feet to hire replacements, meanwhile asking photographers to come in on weekends and help with production work.When I moved, I was given contact info for my new territory. I was supposed to transfer offices. I called and emailed for two weeks, being told that my supervisor would contact me. They never did and I was forced to look for work elsewhere.

Pros

Photography experience, good seasonal work

Cons

Poor management, mediocre pay for photography job

Not great place to work

I worked at Lifetouch for several years, it's physically demanding and the hours are long. I worked as a senior portraits photographer. Sometimes I would work almost 16-18 hrs a day and would be expected to get up and do over again the next day. Pay was low but the hours made up for it. Management didn't care about your well being as long as you make into work. Overall, I learn photography, at times I was allowed to be creative, but coworkers can be toxic

Pros

Personal use of equipment, learn photography

Cons

Long hours, low pay, horrible management

A good, not great, job with great management.

Both of my supervisors were great to get along with, and trained the team wonderfully. Co-workers were also very easy to get along, with; if you had an issue with someone, boss can simply just not have you work with them in the field. Simple. Love it.The actual work is tough, and NOT for everyone. Mornings will vary based on what school you're going to and what time you need to arrive. It was almost always early, with the rare exception of working at a school in the afternoon for an event. You will working from mornings to the afternoons; in my case I sometimes worked LONG hours, not getting home until 5-6:30. Getting hours was good enough, but keep in mind this was a seasonal position, so we had summers off. If you are thinking this job would be good as a way to make a living, I suggest either don't work here, or get a second job.There's also LOTS of traveling. My office covered a vast territory that ranged as north as Vero Beach, to all the way down to Boca Raton; we even went out to Okeechobee. Sometimes if another territory needed an assist, one of us would be sent out to help, which required even more travel, but if it was far enough, you'd be provided a hotel to stay at.Working in schools can range from being an easy going day, to grueling, and even agonizing. It really depends on where you go (middle schools are the worst). Kids will either listen to your instructions, or they won't. High school kids were surprisingly easier to get done, and little kids are easier than expected. Staff were easy to talk with, but frustrating to work with, as they want -

Pros

Great management, explored new areas, healthy work enviornment.

Cons

Treated like machines (depending on the school we went), long hours, small yearly income.

If you love working with children, it can be good.

Lifetouch used to be an outstanding company when I started there. Then management got greedy and took away gas reimbursement. No raises. No accountability, it was chaos. Very poor management all around. Then they took 30% of our retirement money before selling out to Shutterfly.

Pros

Working with children

Cons

Lots of vehicle wear, and lack of proper instruction, training for newbies.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lifetouch. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Diversity score

out of 100
Comparably
Diversity Score
The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Lifetouch.
Powered byComparably