Lincoln Memorial University Employee Reviews

Cut throat place to work
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, TNApril 7, 2019
Authoritarian management especially by dean of nursing, Fearful employees. Management has a what have you done for me today attitude. Encourages spying, Discourages innovation. Some coworkers are cut and back stabbing. Lon
THIS program needs updated
Trade and Industry, Vocational Teacher (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, TNMarch 31, 2019
THIS program needs updated, DID NOT WORK HERE. WENT TO COLLEDGE HERE. Awesome experience's, best study and do your home work because it is your future and life that you are working for, not just a grade point average.
Management and culture actively limit faculty/staff potential
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  TennesseeMarch 27, 2019
Faculty members are treated very poorly, and there is no system for merit-based retention or peer evaluation. The administration definitely uses this to keep every faculty member afraid of losing his/her job.

The administration has a practice of placing non-renewed faculty members of admin leave in the middle of a semester. This makes no sense, and it forces the students to adjust to unannounced instructor changes. I've seen this happen multiple times.

I won't be here long.
Pros
coworkers, mission, the students
Cons
administration, job security, limited academic freedom, culture
Typically a good place to work
Director of Soccer (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, TNJanuary 28, 2019
In general, a good place to work. However, there is a tendency to encourage internal competition too much to the detriment of moral and employee well being.
Excellent environment but employees are expendable.
Computer Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, TNSeptember 14, 2018
The entire university is a great place to work but the individual departments have a lot of competition and the turnover is very high. The health and life insurance is the best I have seen for the area.d
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Termination with no warning or reason
Productive and fun work environment
Radio DJ / Camera Man (Current Employee) –  Harrogate, TNJuly 26, 2018
This is such a fun place to work. The management is friendly and tolerant. Everyone here is super friendly. The hour are flexible. Just an all around good place to work.
Summary
Director of Student Accounts (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, TNJuly 18, 2018
Loved working here and the employees. We had a very relaxed office and self motivated work ethic. Loved meeting with students and parents about financing their tuition and registration.
Pros
Managing a great staff
Cons
Pay was low
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Corbin, KYMarch 7, 2018
As a tutor, hours were flexible and not too demanding with school work. Would recommend it to anyone. I was able to help students while helping myself too.
Great Place to Work
Assistant Professor (Current Employee) –  Harrogate, TNJanuary 24, 2018
I love my co-workers. They are bright and work well with each other. The chairs and deans I have worked with value our time and opinions.

I've learned that academics can offer a warm and team oriented environment. The professors in the schools where I attended graduate school did not seem to get along as well as they do here.

One bright side of working here is the stunning landscapes. It's gorgeous here. We are over an hour from Knoxville, but it provides many of our needs for city life. Middlesboro, KY is a small city and provides the basics. Most who live in the local area shop there.

One downside of teaching here is the lack of a tenure track. However, most larger schools make a greater use of adjuncts and part time instructors, so the lack of a tenure track is diminished. We are full time. If you like it here and get along with others it seems the job can be yours indefinitely. We get paid less than others in our profession, but it's still the highest salary I've earned anywhere.

The hardest part of the job is teaching some of our lesser-prepared students. It's a part of LMU's mission to enlighten and educate the young people of Appalachia. That's not always an easy task. I've been surprised, however, at just how bright many of our students are, locals and out of state students alike.
Pros
Flexible Schedules, Family Tuition, Great Insurance, Caring Co-Workers
Cons
Rural Location, No Tenure Track
Great professional build but fearful future
Museum Director (Current Employee) –  Harrogate, TNNovember 16, 2017
I was able to build my career as a professional historian here through both museum management, historic publications and programs. I became a Lincoln expert in addition to other academic skills. The double blessing of teaching and public history was a great advantage. However, the long-term employment stability was weak here, leaving one with the stressful expectation of the next crisis.
Pros
Professional academic environment in rural beauty
Cons
Unstable future in personnel
Administrator-professor
Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Harrogate, TNNovember 12, 2017
Favorites are promoted and get better treatment.
Lots of work especially if you are single, your boss finds ways to add on to your workload.
No one ever get a compliment on jobs well done.
Low sefl-esteem culture
Hard to put in happiness and work in this place
Walking on egg shells most days.
No job security
I do not recommend to work in this place.
Pros
Beautiful and clean surroundings, nice people to work with
Cons
Not much social venues, 5-6 real restaurants over 3 towns in around a 20 mile radius
Great people to work with
Faculty Nursing Instructor (Current Employee) –  Knoxville, TNNovember 7, 2017
Lecturing, clinical, evaluation, lab and SIM. Grading is lengthy. Peers are very helpful and supportive. Rewarding teaching students and watching them develop professionally.
Pros
Great people to work with. Offices located within the hospital.
Cons
Taking a lot of grading home.
Loved coworkers and working with students
Instructor of Nursing (Current Employee) –  Harrogate, TNOctober 1, 2017
Low pay, Days could be long and not enough time to prepare lecture material when you are in lab all day 4 days per week then have lecture on the 5th day. This was a contract job with summers off which was great. It is a great place to work.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
Could be long hours
Great school to work at
GRADUATE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Harrogate, TNSeptember 19, 2017
A very up and coming school. It is developing and rapid pace! It is in a small town, but it is very home-like. Everyone is super nice- employees, students, administration, etc.
High Turnover, lots of who you know (unequal opportunity.
Specialized Patient, Simulated Patient Model (Current Employee) –  Harrogate, TNSeptember 3, 2017
You have to know someone in order to get a job that is compensated and given benefits. A university don't want to pay their labor force just as industrial giants.
If you are a white, Christian male you'll fit right in
Student Services (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, TNAugust 8, 2017
Working here is worth it for the students. However, the administration is based on the politics of conservative white males, and while it purports it's culture to be liberal, it is anything but. Different views that are found in other universities will not be found here, and challenging the administration's norm is sadly frowned upon.
Pros
Students
Cons
Administration
Workstudy is a great opportunity for students.
Librarian Aide (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, TNMay 15, 2017
Lincoln Memorial University allows students to participate in a work study program where the study works on campus for a set number of hours each week. This program was beneficial while I was completing my bachelor degree because I was able to attend classes and work in my spare time.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
N/a
Don't stay long
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, TNApril 17, 2017
There is no tenure system. Positions are contract, renewed in one year increments. This creates a culture in which no one feels comfortable or secure. Faculty are considered dispensable, and treated as such. The teaching load is high, and there is little support for research, though it is expected. This is the kind of place to work for a year or two to get teaching experience, but nothing more.
Great for a first time head coach
Director of Strength and Conditioning (Current Employee) –  Harrogate, TNApril 10, 2017
LMU is supportive of the strength and conditioning side of sports and will help you achieve your goals for the programs. Men's basketball is very successful and other programs are coming along well.
Pros
Have a budget
Cons
Area
fun place to work
Graduate Assistantship (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, TNFebruary 16, 2017
The staff was friendly and I enjoyed working with them. I picked up skills in data entry, filing documents, and helping students and staff with daily tasks.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no set work schedule