Lionbridge Employee Reviews

Media Judge
Multimedia Judge (Current Employee) –  Waltham, MAJune 17, 2019
I work as a content media judge where I utilize search tools through google, duckduckgo etc, I work 20 hours a week at this job and the hardest part about the job is some of the images are disturbing.
Pros
flexible
Cons
can only work 20 hours
Flexible job with notable drawbacks
Internet Assessor (Current Employee) –  East Greenwich, RIJune 13, 2019
As a gig it's not that bad, you can make some decent money and there have been few weeks in my time working there where I haven't logged the full 20 maximum hours (and occasionally more). No sick days, holidays or insurance, but that's the name of the game, and you also get the benefit of setting your own hours. They also manage to stick applicants with a rather grueling training period (oh wait, not training, they'd have to pay you for that) where you get to sweat through reading the very long set of guidelines they're gonna hammer you with for the rest of your time there and doing tests to prove you've read it.

The work is generally easy once you get the hang of it and understand how to manage your time within their guidelines. Or at least, it seems easy - there are certain tasks that are subject to monthly evaluations that your job will depend on, which adds some stress. Add to that the fact that they have a poor culture of communication with raters and their primary method of discipline for scores below a certain threshold is to cut off access to work for days or even weeks at a time with minimal or no communication and you've got a rather mixed bag.
Pros
decent pay for a gig job, set your own hours, no dealing with management in-person
Cons
constant work evaluations, poor communication with employees
They never gave me correct material to pass any entrance exams.
Ads Assessor (Former Employee) –  Work from homeJune 3, 2019
What a mess. They had me sign all the hiring documents for a transcriber position, sent me the test, but the audio links they provided didn't work. For 2 months I contacted them for help but never got any. One time they re-sent the same defective test to me, but never any help acknowledging or resolving the problem. EVER! None of the people I dealt with were ever in the U.S.A. and the reps seem to not understand why you have a problem to begin with. Super discouraged with this company. I also had an experience with Lionbridge one month prior to this experience when I applied for an ads assessor job- they provided me with an incorrect learning manual. I spent the whole weekend before Christmas preparing for the employment test.Then realized that the manual doesn't even match up with the online class labs and quizzes to begin with. Not sure how they have so many people happily working for them, when incorrect information was given to me-- TWICE and for two different job opportunites!
Pros
They seem interested in you at first.
Cons
When they don't give you correct material, you can't get a hold of them to fix the problem.
Quiet, very flexible hours, outstanding PTO plan, and diverse coworkers
Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 30, 2019
Lionbridge offers flexible core hours; employees are only required to work during 9am-3pm. 40 hrs is required by week's end, but however you choose to get there is largely in your control. However, Lionbridge is yet to incorporate remote or work-from-home options, and very few employees have access to laptops. Management is professional yet fun, understanding, and down-to-earth. The workplace culture tends to be somewhat dry, quiet, and boring, although Lionbrige has made noticeable efforts toward improving the day-to-day culture.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Not able to work from home
Not that great
Ads Quality Rater (Current Employee) –  Work at HomeMay 27, 2019
The biggest problem I have with these people is that they provide almost no training. They give you a pdf of guidelines (that is a pain to search through). They also have training you can do on the website, but you are limited in how much you can do at one time, which just leads to making more mistakes than you would if you could practice more, it's so stupid. But at least the website will tell you what you got wrong and why you got it wrong. They have these secret rating ads placed throughout your daily workload, but they don't tell you when you've done one, or when you get one wrong. Ensuring that you can just continue getting that type of rating wrong until you next go through training or browse through the poorly formatted pdf to find out that you are doing it wrong. They've made it way harder than it has to be to understand the convoluted system they use to rate these ads. You'll find yourself spending a lot of time (unpaid time btw) going over the pdf and doing training just trying to understand it.

Another frustrating thing; rating these ads that nobody in their right mind would click on as excellent. Let's face it, nobody consciously clicks on these anyway, but results from some search engine nobody has ever heard of with all kinds of errors in the text will get rated as excellent. Like you are driving down the street looking for a taco bell so you pull into the parking lot of a dilapidated building called 'burrito gong' because the sign outside says "Information on gordita cruchn here! Get free cruchn here!" despite there being a taco bell right across the street.
  more... Nobody is going to do that! Ever!

At the end of all their emails they sound very supportive and say things like "we're here to help, contact us at any time if you have a problem". I've had numerous problems and not once have I received a word back from them. I recently had to retake a test and they gave me less than 20 hours to see the email and take the test.

The least you could do, if you are not going to pay people for their time spent training, is make training accessible to them if they want it. I have the feeling that a lot of people get fired from here because they are making mistakes that they don't know they are making. That just seems like a really stupid problem to have. So far Lionbridge appears incompetent in their management and also doesn't appear to care very much about it.

Having said all that, you can work from home and you can work whenever you want, but it certainly isn't all sunshine and rainbows. The pay isn't that great, but I didn't really expect it to be for a part time work from home job. It is more complicated and difficult than I thought it would be, attention to detail is absolutely necessary, but I think Lionbridge could help themselves out a lot by ensuring people can understand what they are supposed to be doing instead of just throwing people out the door of a moving car and watching calmly in the rear view mirror to see if they've survived or not.
Pros
Work from home, flexible hours
Cons
Low pay, bad management, bad training
SCAM for 401k
Social Media Specialist (Former Employee) –  Work at HomeMay 21, 2019
Ok, first this job pays barely anything. You are looking at around 10 an hour and you are only allowed to work 5 to 7 hours a week - period. So, in other words, you are lucky if you make 70 bucks a week. There is no exception to this. More importantly, since you only work 5 to 7 hours a week clearly you are NOT a full-time employee - you are barely a part-time employee. There are no benefits but strangely enough, they automatically enroll you in a 40IK with Fidelity???!!!??? Think about this - you are maybe working 5 hours a WEEK but they enroll you in a 40IK?!? This is a complete SCAM why no one else has mentioned this I have no idea?!?! This makes NO sense. So you are doing their work and they are barely paying you-you are NOT paid for any additional hours and they have you enrolled in a 40IK???!!!??? Your money gets put into this 4OIK that is difficult to opt out of and if you finally do you have already shuffled cash into it of which you won't get back. They are counting on the fact that you pay into that 40IK and won't OPT out. They know most people won't bother. Also, let's say you do this for a year, you will forget about it and move on and that money stays with Fidelity. Perfect for them - you do work for less than minimum wage when you figure it out on your end and you slip money into a bogus 40IK. SCAM
Pros
None - work from home - but I would not consider it work from home as you make nothing
Cons
Scam, bogus 40IK that they automatically enroll you in, boring work, work more than are paid, rip off, no repose from any management
Great additional income/part-time job
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  RemoteMay 19, 2019
I am currently working as a transcriber from home. Great way to get some money while being a stay at home mom. The schedule is completely up to me, and the pay is always on time.
The only downside is that some projects can be terminated unexpectedly, and you'll be left without work for unlimited time (I didn't have any project to work on for 4 months, which means no money).
So, definitely, don't quit your job for this but it's a great opportunity to earn extra.
Pros
free non-stress schedule
Cons
the project can be over any time without prior notice
I love working from home but training was poor as was communication.
Human Relevance, Ad assessor, Hot spotting (Former Employee) –  RemoteMay 18, 2019
I really love working from home and this was a great way to accomplish that goal. You could work any time, day or night. They didn't train well, leaving me with more questions than answers. They didn't communicate well. It could take days to get an email response to a question or issue.
Pros
Work at home, anytime
Cons
Poor training, poor communication
Accurate
Eng/Spa Transcriptionist/Translator/Interpreter (Current Employee) –  RemoteMay 15, 2019
Great company to work for from home. Project managers are very efficient in communicating. Emails and questions answered in a timely manner. Transcription jobs are of good quality for the most part.
Pros
Work from home.
Cons
Can't project income or jobs coming in.
Great flex job
Search Engine Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 15, 2019
I loved the flex time and the rate of pay. I could log in and out at my convenience which is perfect for those with complex home life and/or schedules who need extra income.
Pros
Flex time, competetive pay rate
Cons
Contract position means no security or advancement.
Tester Tech II (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORMay 14, 2019
I would still be there if I wasn't offered a better paying job somewhere else. Advancing sucks though. Passed over for many jobs I was being groomed for.
Pros
Nice atmosphere, helpful people, fun
Cons
Moving up is hard to do
Easy job to do
Social Media Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Syracuse, NYMay 13, 2019
The work I had to do was really easy. I was only allowed to work up to a hour a day with a max of 5 days a week. The pay wasn't too bad. I never knew who my contact person was, so if I had issues I would contact the help desk, in turn they would contact someone that was in charge for my area of work. I left because I needed a job with more hours and better stability.
Pros
Easy work
Don't bother
Social Media Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Work at HomeApril 25, 2019
Forget about ever hearing back from management. I got paid for an entire year but you have to figure out everything on your own. Now they are looking for people, but good luck getting hired as no one will ever respond to you.
Pros
Work at home
Cons
low pay, limited hours and terrible management
The Tale of Disappointment
Ad Rater (Former Employee) –  KentuckyApril 23, 2019
Worked here for a week and a half. First, the amount of paperwork that has to get signed by other people "authorized agent" and the process it takes to start is so long and ridiculous. I've never had to do anything like it with any other company I've worked for.
The unpaid qualification process is way too long and stressful for being, well, unpaid. I spent a total of 10 to 12 hours test taking and training in my own free time to only be kicked off a week and a half later.
Once I finally got through the long stressful process of getting started, the first week was perfect, Good communication, good hours, everything was fine.
Then, the next week is where everything went downhill.
The tasks quickly started disappearing, there's a fine line of objective and subjective that makes answering the questions and doing the tasks "correctly" confusing and difficult.
Then, with no explanation, my account got suspended. Through the whole week, I was not able to work any hours, never got an explanation or response to my emails asking what was going on and why was I losing pay. Then finally, after what seemed like forever, I got an e-mail saying I was terminated.

After all that... really?

Don't bother with this company.
Pros
Okay pay, work from home is nice
Cons
bad communication, tasks aren't regular, no job security, too long for unpaid training, paperwork is ridiculous
Total waste of time
Ad rater (Former Employee) –  RemoteApril 20, 2019
Lionbridge gave me a considerable amount of learning materials regarding being an Ad Rater. Their job offer was only for one hour per day. Once I qualified they installed their tool on my phone- and it never worked properly. Technical support did nothing except repeating the same ineffectve advice over and over each time I sought help.
Pros
The pros would have been decent pay for remote work- had that worked out.
Cons
Their software AND their IT were dismal failures.
hard to work with, job req difficult/contradictory
Marketing Judge (Former Employee) –  United StatesApril 15, 2019
Tried to go for a Multimedia judgement position, metrics for judgement are contradicting, irrelevant or misleading. ie: Judge search engine result for a basic movie title, title judged as related to search result, yet states unrelated tho judgement meets metrics of what they require to meet judgement qualifications. Very convoluted & misleading. Offered great hourly pay for 10-20 hrs a week but good luck getting past the preliminary qualifications evaluation.
Pros
nice money / hrs for part time job
Cons
slow management response, frustrating work metrics to do job
Recommendation: Hard pass.
Internet Rater (Former Employee) –  RemoteApril 13, 2019
I'll describe my experience here, but in case you don't want to read my [probably excessively long] tale, let's lead with the thing I most want to share: YOU WILL NOT MAKE THE HOURLY WAGE THEY SAY YOU WILL. You are given time limits within which you are expected to finish each task. You are expected to do A LOT with each one, and they very rarely give you enough time to perform every check and piece of research they expect you to do. If you stay within the time restraint and submit results that displease them, you will be reprimanded and your job threatened. If you exceed the time restraint, submit results they deem acceptable, and report the time you actually spent, you will be reprimanded and your job threatened. I ended up spending the time I needed but only reported the time I was supposed to spend. I got paid for somewhere between one-half and two-thirds of the hours I spent working for this company because I so drastically under-reported my time in order to retain the job because I needed whatever income I could get.

Ultimately (and ironically), they accused me of reporting time I hadn't worked, which was absolutely false. Their software had glitched while I was doing required training. I had immediately sent an email reporting the software problem and requesting advice. I never received a response, so I reported the time I worked. I subsequently received a very unpleasant email in which they basically accused me of being a thief, threatened me, and demanded an explanation--much like the explanation I had ALREADY SENT. As I had tried to get help for the issue through
  more... the appropriate channels, and as I had worked hours upon hours for which I never got paid over the preceding 18 months, and as I take significant issue with being called a liar and a thief, this was the final, gigantic, ugly straw. I provided the requested explanation, forwarded my initial email about the glitch, and resigned. They did acknowledge at that point that "upon review," they could see that I had, indeed, worked the hours I reported. There was no apology for accusing me of thievery. They did suggest I reconsider my resignation and stay on with them. I did not.

So that was my experience; do with it what you will. Whatever you do moving forward, good luck to you!
Cons
Unresponsive, Unreasonable expectations, Unpredictable work availability
Raw Deal
Ad assessor (Former Employee) –  remoteApril 13, 2019
You spend a ridiculous amount of unpaid time learning a task, then they tell you that task is no longer available and you need to learn another task. Big ripoff.
Good side job but not reliable
Ads Quality Rater (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutApril 12, 2019
Like others, my contract was suddenly terminated with a generic email. I had been working as an ads evaluator for about a year. I did not have a supervisor (or at least not one that I could get a hold of). My work was reviewed about once a month, I'd log in and see that my work was given positive feedback every month. Then almost a year to the day I was hired, they suddenly claimed the quality of my work was bad and my contract had been terminated. Didn't make much sense as I thought the quality of my work had improved over the year as I became more and more familiar with their MANY different and often CONFLICTING sets of instructions. When I was hired, I was told I was expected to work for at least 10-15 hours a week. There were weeks where I could only get 2 or 3 hours worth of work--So be warned if you are looking for something steady and reliable: sometimes you will log in and there will be no work available.
Pros
flexible
Cons
no management, unreliable
Terrible communication, no security
Ads Quality Rater (Former Employee) –  RemoteApril 9, 2019
Do not waste your time on this company. They have very high standards for quality on your work but provide zero feedback to let you know if you're doing it correctly. They give you
guidelines for the work, but a lot of the tasks fall into grey areas, and you are essentially working blind hoping you are doing it correctly. They are very slow to respond to emails, and there is very little communication from them in general. You are an expendable part, and they will let you go at any time with a general scripted email.
Pros
Flexible hours, decent pay
Cons
No feedback, no security, very little communication

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lionbridge. Our community is ready to answer.