Listening Ear Crisis Center Employee Reviews

Wouldn’t Recommend to ANYONE
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Portland, MIMarch 21, 2018
This place was terrible. Drama filled. Very poor management. Staff related to/friends of the boss were held to completely different standards. Other staff can’t seem to do anything right. Manager trash talks employees with other employees, causing a lot of tension. Petty notes are left on the cupboards instead of addressing issues directly with staff. They take forever hiring in new staff and seem to hire in staff with no knowledge of the field. Save yourself the headache. They have a high turnover rate for a reason.
Cons
Drama, poor management
Working with Consumer
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJanuary 25, 2018
A typical day is going in making the meals and getting them off to there program. While there gone you hang out with the consumer that are home and clean. You learn new things every day you work. The managements work with you with the stuff that going on in your life. It was a very good work place. The hardest part of the job is sometime having to stay late when staff call in and can't find any one to come in. The most enjoyable part of the job would be spending time with the consumer and getting to know them better.
Pros
Enjoy time with consumer
Cons
Can be stressful at times
One of the most rewarding jobs
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Harrison, MIJanuary 6, 2018
Through this company I learned a lot about caring for individuals with disabilities. I loved working with and being an advocate to and for the people who had no voice was the most rewarding jobs I had ever had.
Pros
People and the adventures
Cons
watching the suffer at times with their disabilities
Wonderful place with amazing consumers
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIDecember 17, 2017
Just a great environment and atmosphere to work in. A lot of advancement possible. I loved that everyday I made a difference in someones life just by showing up.
Pros
Great environment
Cons
Poor work ethic from some
Very rewarding job
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Harrison, MISeptember 20, 2017
My job was very rewarding and not very stressful. I would have stayed, but lived too far away and didn't make enough to compensate for that. The home I worked in was pretty laid back as long as you did your job and got done everything that needed done on your shift.
Pros
Breaks, and friendly atmosphere
Cons
Pay rate
Fair business to work for but stressful clients to serve.
Director of Residential Services (Former Employee) –  Ionia, MIAugust 14, 2017
My boss was excellent to work for. He was always fair and open to my suggestions and always listened to when I was stressed. In the end, I left because the job became too stressful for me.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Serving stressful population
Good temporary work
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIMay 1, 2017
Long term, this is not a position I could have done without a better compensation. The work is hard and emotional and the pay is minimum with small opportunity for growth.
Pros
Flexible scheduling, opportunities for fun outings
Cons
low pay, physically/emotionally draining
Poor
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIDecember 25, 2016
Poor management, poor work environment. The work environment was uncleanly. Coworkers and management were unenthusiastic about their work. Management was not respectable of their employees.
Direct Care Worker
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIApril 18, 2016
Responsibilities included; personal care of residents. Formulated records and progress notes. Assisted individuals to appointments and recreational outings.
fun, good engergy workplace with great residents
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Harrison, MINovember 23, 2015
fun place to work at with fun co workers and managment. its not all about the money to me but gettig to know the residents and being there 100% for them. my favorite part of my job was seeing the residents happy and healthy. seeing them smile was worth the long hours. theres quite a bit of activites i did each day from showering a resident to making crafts to taking them to their appoitments. it was very exciting but yet very challenging learning to communicate with non-verbal adults.
Pros
full benefits, fun outings, bonuses
Cons
not very good benefits, working midnights, short staffed
Very rewarding job that's easy to enjoy, but little room for advancement and low salary
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIApril 27, 2015
Taking care of the consumers is an extremely rewarding task. Being able to get to know them and help them with things such as planning their goals is truly a privilege. However, there is a lot of paperwork that comes along with the job, and most employees will not earn enough to support themselves fully.
New learning experience every day
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIFebruary 19, 2015
There was a new learning experience every day. I can honestly say there was never a dual moment at my last place of employment. Co-workers were a fun to work with got along with them and my bosses.
Good Housekeeping skills
Volunteer/Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIFebruary 13, 2015
a typical day was getting there at 8 am and spent almost 5 hours cleaning just one apartment, i learned how to remove stain from a tub and sink, and also learned how to steam clean carpets.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
really dirty
Working with the consumers was fun.
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIFebruary 10, 2015
would work set shifts but the college help would generally be late or not show up so you were stuck until you could find someone to come in to work
Pros
working with consumers
Cons
working long hours due to lack of help.
Great starter employment
Direct Care Professional (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIFebruary 5, 2015
Listening Ear is a great place to start your employment if you are looking to get into direct care work. There is not much opportunity for advancement within the company though.
Enjoyable Work
Program Director (Current Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIOctober 28, 2014
I truly love the job, i do for the consumers. It is the most enjoyable work.
Pros
Working with enjoyable people and being an advocate for great people
Listening Ear
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIApril 19, 2014
During my shift I would do the cooking and cleaning and bed checks. Listening Ear helped me realize that I wanted to do more with the health care field. I obtained my CNA after working with Listening Ear.
Pros
Consumers, corworkers
Great Volunteer Experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  East Lansing, MIAugust 20, 2013
The Listening Ear is a Crisis Center that is open 24-hours and is ran by volunteers. A typical day consist of taking crisis calls for 4 hours.
Pros
Saving a life
Cons
Feeling "stuck"/unhelpful to caller
What I learned
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIApril 12, 2013
I learned how to be patient, and how to combine chemicals to remove a stain.
Pros
learning experience
Cons
lasted only one day
Productive and fun place to work.
Direct Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, MIJanuary 10, 2013
I loved working for the individuals that I cared for. The staff were always welcoming and helpful. I enjoyed learning and experiencing all that I have in this job. I would say the hardest part of the job was dealing with individual behaviors and being able to redirect in those situations in an effective manner. The most enjoyable part of the job was going on outings in the summer time, especially, where we got to have more one-on-one time with the individuals we cared for. I have learned a lot in this job, such as taking vital signs and working on person center plans with health care professionals to help improve overall quality of life.