Litchfield Elementary School District #79 Employee Reviews

Stressful and time consuming company
Middle School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Goodyear, AZSeptember 16, 2018
I will focus only on my experience that I had there and what I noticed. I would not recommend working here or attending as a student if possible.
As a teacher, I had 5 classes, a homeroom class of 25 minutes, 1 prep at 50 minutes and a 30 minute lunch. The homeroom class was a chance to build a rapport with the students by teaching a set of activities to the students that were provided by administration. They were not easy to follow and the students disliked doing them. Teachers had morning duty for 30 minutes every day which rotated every 3 weeks.
Lesson plans were due by Monday which had to be very detailed in nature by including the objective, state standards, warm up question, specific steps that will be taught in the lesson with time frames (teacher explains about topic A for 10 minutes, students work on assignment for 20 minutes), how the lesson will be closed, homework that will be assigned, how accommodations will be met including the reading and writing areas, and meeting student needs. If something was different for the next day, you had to go back and modify the plans later in the week.
IEP meetings with parents occurred before school, during prep or after school and I had at least 1-2 per week taking up my planning time to get other things done. Professional Development for the 7th grade team was Wednesday during prep and there was a meeting every Monday after school for an hour for Staff PD of the entire school.
Class sizes are 32-40. I had sizes of 33, 34, 34, 36, and 37. Other teachers had up to 40 in a couple classes.
Teachers had Student coaches
  more... (adults) - one for instructional needs and one for discipline. Instructional coach helped with giving ideas on how to implement a learning strategy into the lesson for the students. Instructional coach for discipline gave tips on how to improve classroom management.
About discipline- if a student acts up, make corrections in class, contact the parent by email or phone and document it in the computer, and hope for the best. Students often acted up again a few days later with the parents not effectively helping the teachers. A referral was there to give, but it had no consequence. A meeting with the parent about the child's behavior usually resulted in the parent saying their child is perfect and there is no way that they would act up. The innocent look and the next day, the child acts up again in class. The children ran the discipline and not the parents.

The best part of working there was being able to lesson plan with another teacher from the same grade and subject (there were two teachers for each grade level for each subject- two 7th grade science, two 7th grade math teachers...etc) Each teacher was on a team- 1 science, 1 ELA, 1 math, 1 Social Studies and 1 writing. There were two teams. I worked with the Science teacher on the other team because thats my speciality.
Also, there were plenty of online and in class materials to develop a lesson.

The sad/bad parts of working here have a long list.- lack of preparation time for lessons and grading homework, lack of a discipline system in the school, lack of administration being involved in discipline and taking the parents or child side rather than trusting the teacher, going home at 515pm on Mondays due to PD, high class sizes which makes grading very tedious, weekly meetings with administration, strict lesson plan guidelines, lack of support in the team structured grade level- I didn't feel much support from my own team of other subject teachers, I wasn't able to try new learning strategies with the students, weekly IEP meetings with parents when the SPED teacher did all the talking and explaining. (As a teacher, we just sat in the room and listened for an hour- wasting time)

It's an A graded school and it focused a lot on test, and reading strategies for the students. If a teacher tried a new strategy with the students and it didn't work, it was seen as a failure and a waste of time rather than a learning experience.

I'm sure I'm missing some stuff that I didn't like about the school, but the main thing was that I wasn't able to try new strategies with the students- the ones I learned about in college; I had to teach a certain way, and the struggles with coming up with a classroom management system without any help from teachers or administration. Classroom management is never taught in college and I struggled with it. More support would have been nice. Lastly, its not worth it to spend 50-60 hours a week lesson planning, grading and teaching when I have a family that I want to spend time with. It was tough being gone so much and spending every Sunday planning and grading work.

I would not recommend working here.
Pros
Instructional coaches, team teachers to work with, high pay
Cons
long hours, lots of grading, strict lesson plan guidelines, high expectations for new teachers
I love my job been around respect people.God is love.
Custodian/Assisstant Coach (Current Employee) –  Gadsden, ALJanuary 1, 2017
my job is about caring for kids in a setting that they are learning about the future the respect for each other.the bless that the teacher are giving.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
The Principal created a positive environment.
Paraprofessional/Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Litchfield Park, AZSeptember 24, 2016
A typical day at Wigwam Creek Middle School was good. Everyone kept a smile on their faces. I learned how to assist the teachers. The management was very organized. My co-workers weren't always the easiest to work with, but I made the best out of my days working there. The hardest part about the job was adjusting to the students mood changes. The most enjoyable part was getting to know each student individually.
Nice
Transporter (Former Employee) –  Litchfield Park, AZAugust 16, 2016
Great job for retiree. I was looking for full time work, LESD was a great place to work,
The supervisor and director were very helpful
and nice. I would work for them again if I just wanted part time.