Little City Employee Reviews

None provided
Para Professional (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILSeptember 6, 2018
The turnover rate at the company is very high, the compensation is very low and very difficult to keep good employees. The overall support is limited because of the limited budget allowed for the school.
Pros
Cons
Low pay.
Very rewarding in all aspects
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Vernon Hills, ILAugust 6, 2018
Working for little city is very fun. I’m able to work with amazing people who have great talents and are just a joy. It’s not an easy job but it’s very humbling and every day is a blessing to be apart of it.
Pros
Flexible hours, challenging, never boring, freedom
Cons
Repetititon
It all depends on current management . . .
DSP and QMRP/supervisor position (Former Employee) –  Palatine and Chicago.July 9, 2018
I worked at Little City for a long time-many years, and I loved most of it. I started working for LCF in 2004 and left in 2011 when I moved out of state. I was a support staff, then QMRP and in management.
When I started for LCF the company culture was different. I worked with a very diverse group of awesome and dedicated, forward thinking individuals. However, during the time I was there management went through a lot of changes and restructuring. And the result was an endless cycle of new policies and changes in many aspects of not only my job, but the whole agency as a whole. New leadership came in with their ideas, and the result was less than ideal . I saw a lot of great people leave or get fired. I saw favoritism and people pushed out of their positions. A lot of bs was going on around the time I left in 2011, otherwise my position was going to be changed so much that I would not have the same money or hours, or work with the same clients. Everything that kept me thriving and loving this job and company for so many years changed by the time I left. So many great staff gone, and all by really bad management practices. See -when things are going well management should reward the employees and make them feel valuable. But it was the opposite-things were going well, new management came in and squeezed everyone out and changed everything, and LCF became a totally different place to work.

If I ever move back to IL I would consider reapplying to LCF-in the hope that it has-or will soon be-returning back to the great, cool, progressive, upbeat workplace culture that
  more... it was had and was.  less
Excellent leadership
Senior Philanthropy Officer (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILJune 28, 2018
Great leader. Innovative programming. Great team environment. Wonderful families, mission. Wonderful campus environment for clients. Lots of talented staff. Engaged board.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
State funding not sufficient
Day at Work
DSP-Direct Support Provider (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILMay 30, 2018
Assisting with showers, feeding, walks, art time, workplace quiet, hard part was to watch girls transition to other group homes I cared for,good salar
Pros
eat with cleints to get to know them
Cons
short breaks
Good company to work for
Life Skills Instructor (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILMay 29, 2018
enjoyed being employed with this company, overtime available, chance for advancement. Great Supervisors, Lead Managers, overly best facility in the area for autism.
poor
Home Care Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILFebruary 28, 2018
I not much to say about them. at this time. I feel they need to change management and maybe they will stop having out and close door. they need to respect their employees.
Pros
manager
Cons
better manager
Great for Resume building
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILFebruary 14, 2018
Great to have on a resume but also very risky to work here if you intend on pursuing a career in healthcare. A lot of neglect and things that border abuse. Do NOT trust your coworkers. They will get you in trouble for things you did not do. They will call the hotline. Especially if you are not a part of the Nigerian social circle. The staff will take advantage of you as a newbie and make you do all of their work too. Management is poor but there is a union. Aside from all that you get to work with the special needs community and have the opportunity to make a difference. The clients can really touch your heart.
Fun coworkers but poor management
Direct Support Person (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILJanuary 20, 2018
Just do your work and don't raise voice to people. Remain in a calm manner and you won't have any problems working in this field of work. Just adding words here.
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILNovember 27, 2017
I worked at one of their community houses. I was there when the resident came home from work. I helped them do laundry, cook the meals and take them out on shopping trip or on community activities. I learned how to deal with mental challenged residents. Learning sign lanuage.
Pros
Learning how to take care of resident that where mental challenged.
Cons
being hurt by residents, staff playing favorites
hmm
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILNovember 12, 2017
Its a fun place to work. Everyday is different but it also depends on the staff your working with and also depends on the managers and how they work as well most are good and amazing others are not but overall its a good place and your learning everyday. Your working with people with different disabilities your learning about them. Not just that learning how to deal with them like if the client goes off what your supposed to do. What you can and cannot say. You learn so much everysingle day.
Pros
fun, communication, outings, easy, lots of learning
Cons
stressful
Needs real improvement
Contribute to housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILOctober 16, 2017
I would not refer anyone to work there. They mismanage the funds for the kids. The working are lazy. Management is corrupt and they tell all of your personal business and concerns.
Pros
Cons
Horrible
Lack of Compensation
Assist clients (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILOctober 2, 2017
I feel the company under pays the staff for all the work that they do. Also there is not any pay advancements meaning raises in this organization. Nobody wants to be working at a company for 10+ years making the same amount.
Excellent workplace
Child Welfare Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 24, 2017
Little City Foundation took my experience in Child Welfare to a whole new level when I started working with families who have children with special needs. I got tons of support and gained invaluable experience working here.
Great job most management are undesireable to work for.
Mandated reporter per State guidelines (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILAugust 24, 2017
I love the job but the low salary keeps people from giving their all. If the pay were more they would have enough employees. Also because they are so short staffed they can pull you to another home that doesn't have enough staff. Instead of the Supervisors getting their hands dirty & actually do some work.
Pros
Great residents
Cons
Poor wages
Productive and fun place to work!
RECREATION INSTRUCTOR / SPECIAL OLYMPICS COACH (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILAugust 18, 2017
I loved working for Little City Foundation. It opened my eyes beyond what I had expected going into the position. I enjoyed every day, and the best part about it was that the smallest achievements were the biggest rewarding experiences with our clients. Hardest part of the job was knowing that there was no room for advancement.
Pros
4 day work week, great people to work for and work with
Cons
Government funded, no raise opportunity.
Horrible company
Life Skills Instructor (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILAugust 14, 2017
This is a horrible company to work for they don't give raises and their life skills instructors know the most about the children but don't get the credit deserved. They treat their employees lie trash.
Pros
free lunch
best part of the job is people served by organization
Staff (Current Employee) –  Palatine, ILAugust 12, 2017
The best part about the organization is the people served! They are always very happy to see you and will brighten up even the gloomiest of days. This population is a wonderful group of individuals.
Family Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILAugust 3, 2017
There is room to change hours, positions and move around the facility to find your right fit. You will meet so many great residents and enjoy your time at work. Your shift will fly right by, if you are there for the right reasons. The benefits were fantastic including health, dental and vacation time. Most of the management is great to work with but turn over rate is high.
Pros
Great people
Cons
pay increases not consistent
Orange is the New Black
Direct Support Professional (DSP) (Former Employee) –  Palatine, ILJuly 17, 2017
The atmosphere among much of the staff is uncivil and full of bullying behaviors. Upper management is just as bad. At first, I thought it was like dealing with the cliques in junior high school again, but then I watched Orange is the New Black and was blown away by the similarities.

The training isn't very good, which leads to injuries from the participants with serious behavior disorders. The schedule is not flexible, the pay is awful, they're perpetually understaffed, the laundry machines keep breaking, and all the liability is on you.

No one who is at the root of these problems is going to get in trouble if something bad happens. You can, though. You can enjoy a night in jail even if they see on video that you had nothing to do with what happened and did not witness it.
Pros
lol
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Little City. Our community is ready to answer.