Little General Convenience Store Employee Reviews

Good place to start out
Trainer / Crew Member (Former Employee) –  DyerMarch 31, 2017
I stocked shelves, baked pizzas, and cleaned the store on an average day. It was a good first job and they treated their employees well. The hours were reasonable and the job was good.
Overall one of the better places to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kenton, TNMarch 30, 2017
Great place to work for i enjoyed it very much. the bosses were kind and understanding. It was easy to advance and had decent benefits. I would work there again.
Straightforward, steady job
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Oak Hill, WVMarch 18, 2017
Everyday work life was great for me, personally, because I knew the customers & was in a steady routine. I learned how to fully operate their computer system, how to handle customer issues with kindness, & how to talk to people in a professional yet friendly manner. Management was wonderful, & those in charge were the perfect amount of lenient & strict. I would usually work night shift alone, which was fine by me because I feel I work better under stress & I'm good at multitasking. The hardest part of the job would have to be finding the time to get everything done as well as I would like to, while also checking out the customers as steadily as I would like to. The most enjoyable part of this job was definitely making sure the customers had an exceptional experience.
its okay place is awful
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Belton, SCMarch 14, 2017
I work as cashier for 24 hours store

I used to work different shifts

I was scare when i work 3rd shift when i was 18 years old....

manager seem becoming lazy and she quit
Very laid back work environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Washington, WVFebruary 14, 2017
Love working here! All my coworkers and customers were amazing and super friendly. They worked amazingly with my school schedule. Loved the things the job taught me.
Pros
Vacation pay
Cons
Paid minimum wage
Good place to start
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Barrackville, WVFebruary 3, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with the people one on one on a daily basis. I got to learn a lot about the people who lived there and made alot of friends.
Pros
Pretty relaxed in the evenings.
Cons
No breaks really
Little General
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bald Knob, WVJanuary 18, 2017
This was a great job but relocated and wasn't able to continue work. I performed many duties required for this job. trying to find a job here in Illinois that meets my needs.
i really enjoyed working for the Little General Company
Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Beaver, WVJanuary 14, 2017
Loved working for this company. Everyone was awesome and would work for them again. Management was great and coworkers were easy to work with. The hardest part of the job was probably learning to use the gun to count cigarettes and the easiest was waiting on the customers.
Pros
wonderful work enviorment, everyone was willing to help out where ever or who ever needed it
Cons
Sometimes there were customers that were difficult but you just learn how to handle the situation
Not a good place
deli cook (Current Employee) –  Alamo, TNJanuary 14, 2017
Management is horrible.
They make plans to help you advance and then just leave you hanging.
The owners of the company don't allow changes easily, even when they are desperately needed.
It is not a place worth working at.
Cons
I loved my job but had to move.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, WVDecember 30, 2016
I worked 2 and 3 shifts in a row. I would put the truck away by myself. I worked evening shift. I would run registers, gas pumps, lottery, cleaning, and made change for my customers.
Low pay
Co-Manager (Former Employee) –  Pineville, WVDecember 20, 2016
Not enough pay to make the job worth while. No matter how hard you work, it is never good enough. High pressure with no rewards. Push, push type of management, while higher up get all the credit. Not team oriented.
Family oriented company
AREA SUPERVISOR (RETAIL) (Former Employee) –  Beckley, WVNovember 28, 2016
Generally a good company to work for. Company is growing rapidly and experiencing some growing pains. Not enough communication from the top down but it is getting better.
Cons
High Turnover and long hours
Not a fun work place
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Anderson, SCNovember 22, 2016
I worked at this little general for a couple of months and this particular store was not at all a friendly work environment, but I needed the extra money. The store owner is not professional at all!
Pros
Store owner wife was nice.
Cons
No breaks, and a un happy work environment
Fast-paced pizza and hotdog stand
Food Clerk - Godfather'sPizza & Sam'sHotdogs (Former Employee) –  Alum Creek, WVNovember 19, 2016
Enjoyed making pizzas and hotdogs but usually done by myself without any help. Hard getting so many orders out at one time. Enjoyed co-workers that worked the convenient store side. Learned how to properly make pizza and homemade dough.
Pros
Free food
Cons
worked alone and sometimes too much for one person to handle
less than appealing to work for
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Trezevant, TNNovember 2, 2016
they are very corrupt and the chain of command only leads to managers and circles of lies and indecency. they expected way to much from one person, and if you weren't friends with someone in management they made your life hard.
Over worked and under paid
cashier (Former Employee) –  Paris, TNOctober 29, 2016
Part time is lucky to get 20 hours at minimum wage. Managers are unexperienced. You are scheduled for 4 hours and are expected to complete 8 hour shift. Nasty work enviroment. No raises. No holiday pay. No breaks, no luches.
Pros
nothing
Cons
Drama filled enviroment, low pay, no benefits
Been with them for four years and can't complain
Clerk/Stocker (Current Employee) –  Clothier, WVOctober 22, 2016
Any job dealing with the public is hard and Little General is no exception. Some customers are hard to handle, but most are great and you develop a relationship with them. During my [almost] four years with this company, I have not had any problems, but I also mind my own business and do my job. Management has never been a problem. Most people giving bad reviews were probably bad workers but failed to notice their own work ethic.

Stocking is the hardest part of the job, but also my favorite. It is very detail-oriented and there are multiple things you can do wrong. You are also not just subject to being in the coolers. The heavy lifting isn't a problem (no extreme weights), but I have developed carpal tunnel over the years and I can't help but think it is from repetitive motions on a daily basis.

Oh, and insurance is GREAT. Medical is just $9 a week, and dental/vision together is $7 a week.
Pros
Good management, small environment, insurance
Cons
No breaks, very repetitive
Good people and atmosphere.
Cashier/Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Lewisburg, WVOctober 13, 2016
I enjoyed working with my co-workers and I also enjoyed my interaction with the customers. I learned how to input paperwork into the computer and make deposits.
Pros
Great manager
Cons
Stocking the coolers because I don't like the cold.
Very nice company to work for
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Flatwoods, WVOctober 4, 2016
This company has many locations. I was able to transfer and better myself, and advance from cashier to Assistant Manager. Very friendly with all employees. Train all employees well.
It's alright
Subway Sandwich Artist (Former Employee) –  Bluefield, VASeptember 17, 2016
The managers can be very rude and displeasing
However, if working hard, you were less of a target.
I worked about 30 hours a week, sometimes more when there were call ins. I worked mostly night shifts that involved a lot of cleaning.