Living Innovations Employee Reviews

Company that cares about people
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Newport, MEJuly 29, 2019
I have been with Living Innovations for over 14 years and I couldn't ask for a better place to work. We take the time to make sure people are happy. Our teams spend a great deal of time looking for ways to make our services the best they can be. I love going to work everyday! I have a team of Coordinators that are creative, fun and that care about all the individuals we support. I value all of my managers and I feel valued by my supervisor. I get to spend time with the people we support and the awesome home providers that care for people. I look forward to many more years!!!
Management only cares about themselves and their paychecks
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Belfast, MEJuly 9, 2019
This place was good at first, but quickly went downhill. Management frequently lies and makes empty promises. I was promised full time hours, but was given 37 instead which put me at 3 hours shy of full time and unable to get 40 hours due to that. I wasn’t able to get benefits. The coordinator was hardly ever present and had a track record of not responding to calls or texts. Poor training with important information withheld until something happened that required that information. The company also engaged in fraudulent behavior and expected staff to do so as well on a few occasions.
Pros
Easy to get job
Cons
Too many to list
July 15, 2019

To Whom it may concern,

We are sorry you feel your experience with us was abysmal. Needless to say, we don't like anyone who we come into contact with to feel this way, whether it is a member of our team or the participants in our programs we are privileged to work with.

We pride ourselves on: "Putting people first." It's why we do what we do.

If you would like to talk about your experience by stepping out of the shadows, please feel free to give me a call. You certainly won't be judged, or criticized for sharing your viewpoint.

Living Innovations
603-812-7665

really fun and productive place to work
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Current Employee) –  Bangor, MEJune 23, 2019
great place to work with really good coworkers. You get paid to play outside with the children and adults you support for a great wage!

Job has challenges which makes the job better because I love facing those challenges.
June 24, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate it and thank you for all that you do!

Great place to work and grow as a person
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Derry, NHMarch 26, 2019
I have enjoyed my time with the company. Very nice people to work with and for. Fun work environment and fun people. They are working with the state on getting the pay up. If you are flexible this job can be a blast!

Hello there!

We appreciate your thoughts and perspective. We are doing everything we can to get the pay rates adjusted, but it is a process that goes through the folks at the Statehouse.

Thank you for all that you do for us on a daily basis!

Living Innovations

Poor Management, outcomes, staff support
DSP (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHFebruary 25, 2019
Disheartening. Lack of staff training, high turnover, staff dissatisfaction evident. The hardest part of the job was hearing about peer frustration with the job, witnessing staff-client interactions as a result.
Pros
They tried
Cons
Too many

To Whom it may concern,

We are sorry to hear your experience with us was not positive.

If you would like to discuss your tenure and what you witnessed in confidence, please give me a call at 603-319-649.

Marketing Manager

Loved the job but no benefits and puts a lot of miles on vehicle
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEJanuary 6, 2019
loved the clients and management. The pay stinks and the job puts a lot of miles on your vehicle. It would be a great job for a mother or father looking for those type of hours.
June 24, 2019

We appreciate all that you did for the participants in our programs.

We are sorry you think the pay "stinks." That was starting pay.

Living Innovations Marketing Manager

No Thanks
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEDecember 21, 2018
LI Saco is a very unprofessional environment. Management plays favorites and spends half their day thinking of places to go for lunch. It felt like high school all over again. Pay was not good and rarely on time.
Pros
Coworkers were very supportive
Cons
Biased management, pay, using your own car

To Whom it may concern,

We always want to be improving as an organization. If you would like to discuss your experiences with us, please give me a call a 603-319-6489.

Marketing Manager

Spiritually Rewarding, the pay is very poor though.
Behavioral Health Professional (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEDecember 2, 2018
The interview process seems to determine not your quantifiable ability, but your apparent trustworthiness and personability.
After receiving access to online training resources and being instructed in the use of time sheets; I was scheduled to shadow with other employees. The employees were friendly and patient.
Knowledge of technique and therapy were not discussed.
After several days I was able to meet a family for an interview to determine if they found me an acceptable BHP for their child.
The company needed workers in the field to help folks as soon as possible. I thought I would be required to complete a certification program first.
I worked with a child that experienced a then undiagnosed form of Developmental Disability.
I lived and travelled from a different city to meet him.
His father was very involved in the process of offering care. Which was wonderful, truly.
Care consisted of encouraging healthy social interactions and understanding of boundaries. He also struggled with empathy, not because he lacked it, but because his could not intuitively recognize the emotional state of others through basic recognition of facial expressions, tone, and body language.
I would read to him from books of his choosing and use aspects of these fictions as teachable moments.
I also used board games and pen-and-paper dice games to model behaviors and to create safe places to study social cues.
Together with his father we taught him to recognize subtleties of body language and facial expression.
One of the games we played together involved bluffing and deception. I used
  more... a lesson from college to search for an image of intersectional facial expressions, essentially a multiplication table. However, instead of 3 multiplied by 3, or 4, or etc, it showed the intersection of expressions. As an example, it showed the combination of anger with happiness or fear.
I had some doubts that this would not prove interesting or effective to the child.
I was delighted however; using this imagery as a tool on his tablet device and playing the bluffing games together gave him a huge boost in the ability to read others.
Actually the boy's father and I stopped winning, almost entirely, within two weeks of introducing this resource.
He was a very bright boy and I feel grateful that I had the education necessary to find these tools for him.
That education comes with me, however. The resources I used weren't given to me by Living Innovations.
I was quite surprised by the lack of training in ways I might help the person I worked for.
When I questioned my supervisor about methods of providing care, he seemed to skirt the subject. I feel it was implied that I should simply know, or devote my own unpaid time to discovering how to do this. Which, of course, I did do.
I wish I could have stayed and innovated their practices. I needed to eat though and this job was not able to compensate me well at all.
In summary, teenagers, family members of people with developmental disabilities, and retired adults would be able to maintain this position, but some one who intends to start a family cannot. This job relies upon an obsession with doing 'good work.' You're expected to quietly sacrifice, rather than giving and succeeding as well.
Pros
Meaningful
Cons
Low Wage
Disorganized
Direct Support (Current Employee) –  Derry, NHOctober 8, 2018
disorganized, chaotic, not unusual to have 3 clients during the day,
not unusual to get called in morning to change schedule, paperwork is excesseive..
Pros
lots of things to do, programming
Cons
no paid holidays, too much paperwork, chaotic, etc.
Fun and creative work environment
DSP/CRMA (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEOctober 4, 2018
Fun and creative work environment that allows you to understand a wonderful but underserved population. Very flexible schedule. Get paid to go to the beach or go swimming, while helping people build life skills. Good people doing good things.
Pros
flexible schedule, creativity
Cons
3:1 client:DSP ratios in the community, low pay

To Whom it may concern,

Thank you for all you did for us during your tenure! We, and most importantly, the individuals you worked with, certainly appreciated your efforts!

sneaky fake, unsupported
Shared Living Cooridantor (Former Employee) –  Newport, MEOctober 4, 2018
I was management . My Program Manger was a horrible trainer.. as in she never did anything to train me. Then never corrected me when i did something to just collect info to fire me. The upper management is a joke. They wont even respond to send me all my trainings for future employment. YOu get no credit for your hard work. And the I was offered zero support for knowing what this co worker was going through. The Management is sneaky., and lie a lot. Also if your in need of an interpreter they do not try very hard and use other DSP without compensation for interpreting to other STAFF!!!! I worked here happy for many years, the higher up the worse it got. I enjoy my management position until it all came together that all along the P and i didn't get a long, When i asked when i would get my company phone,, She wanted to fire me for asking. she told me this. She told me 3 times that she was making a cooridinators position for me just to hire outside of the company. TO go to work everyday wondering if your going to be fired is a horrible feeling, and i know many people go in with this thought.
Pros
The population is wonderful
Cons
bad management support. no trianings from Program managers. runs your car to the ground.

To Whom it may concern,

We are sorry your experience with us was not pleasant.

If you would like to discuss your time with us in confidence, please give me a call at 603-319-6489.

Community Connections
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Belfast, MESeptember 17, 2018
Gather at the office and, according to which clients are scheduled with which DSP's, determine what to do and where to go that day. Often making plans in advance for Special Olympics training and volunteering. Take clients into the communities to socialize and get exercise. Play games and ensure the client has a beneficial 5 hours daily to maintain their well being and that their goals are met according to their Plan of Care.
Pros
Lots of laughs and opportunities for clients to get out of their normal environments
A culture like I never experienced
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Bangor, MEJuly 17, 2018
The management team is the blind leading the confused! Client I worked with was violent and aggressive. Found no support or management of situation with supervision due to their lack of insight, education, and experience. Small minded people living in a small minded world. Glad to be gone and no longer working with this population. What a scam.
Cons
See above

To Whom it may concern,

We are sorry you did not find our culture to be appealing. If you would like to discuss your concerns please give me a call at 603-319-6489.

Everyone tries their best
DSP (Former Employee) –  North Hampton, NHJuly 7, 2018
The days are generally not that stressful most of the time, but once or twice a week there was a crisis to handle, which is normal for that sort of job. Unfortunately the team that I worked with did not communicate well and disagreed often about how to handle those situations
Management did their best to help when they were present, but I think it was too much for one manager to handle. His heart was in the right place though.
Hardest part of the job was the number of people that were only there to get a paycheck, and would just let the people with cared do all of the work (there would be no noticeable reprimand for someone like that)
The best part is how rewarding it is to see a client do well and feel good under your care.
Pros
very casual, free meals if you were willing to cook them, pety cash for group trips with clients
Cons
no scheduled break, never enough staff, difficult nurse

To Whom it may concern,

We are interested in speaking to you to learn more about your experience with us.

Please give me a call at 603-319-6489 if you would like to chat.

Amazing
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIMay 23, 2018
This an amazing place to work! I would recommend this place to anyone. Job and work balance is amazing, and the clients are awesome and worthwhile!!!!!!
Flexible and friendly team.
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Augusta, MEMay 21, 2018
Flexible hours and a great team atmosphere. Assist people with disabilities in their homes or in their community. Training available with a great starting pay.
Pros
Starting pay is higher than most Direct Support jobs.
Cons
Potential for long distances between clients.
I wouldnt apply here!!!!
DSP (Direct Support Professional) (Former Employee) –  Saco, MEMarch 29, 2018
If you liked high school then you will love this job. Management is a joke and they pay lousy. The only benefit of this job is helping those you work with. It was fun working with the individuals. Be prepared to run down your vehicles into the ground from constant driving. If your car isn't working and you call out be prepared to be reprimanded. They don't give a rat's and that's it. I don't know why it took me years and 3 cars to figure this out. Only to find out I was the most under paid employee and I was there the longest. I quit because it was too stressful and felt unsupported by management.
Pros
Fun with individuals
Cons
Under paid, over worked, unappreciated, too much driving around

To Whom it may concern,

We are sorry your experience with us was negative. For your information, what we are allowed to pay DSPs falls within rates established by the state and Medicare.

If you would like to discuss your concerns further, please give me a call at 603-319-6489.

Marketing Manager

Work for a different agency
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  Augusta, MEMarch 24, 2018
Living innovations use to be one of the best companies to work for. In the most recent years, management has shown they only value clientele and not their employees. Multiple times I’ve gone into work to find my shift is canceled, removed from a 30 hour week because “they can’t pay you one on one every day of the week” forced to miss college classes to attend a live day CPR/FA retrain when there was an online option available but the company wouldn’t let you take it because “it cost them money.” I had one client go into the hospital for an extended amount of time without being notified why or how long it was predicted for him to be there as well as not getting those hours refilled. There’s much wear and tear on your vehicle as well, they only pay you $.38/mi and you’ll be lucky if half your miles count for it. If you’re someone looking to place your individual into the program, be sure to really research who the coordinators are and their work ethic. Out of every 6 managers, you may find 1 good one that is there to make a difference for the clients and isn’t just there for a paycheck. Also they don’t pay you to do your paperwork, it must be done on your own time.
Pros
The first 90 days you’re treated like an actual employee
Cons
Literally everything.
Horrible
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, NHFebruary 26, 2018
This was not a good place to work. The management never listened to any issues you had. And if you don't want to work with certain individuals because they can be violent, they fire you via certified letter.
Data, Data, and more Data Entry...
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dover, NHFebruary 7, 2018
Typical day at work---Lots of data entry
There is a lot more that I would like to learn but there is no time -
Management is fair
Workplace culture is different. People rarely socialize because there is too much work to be done.
Job isn't hard, lots of turnover because the pay is so low.
The people are the best part of the job.
Pros
People are great
Cons
Doesn't pay well

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Living Innovations. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.1InHerSight Score

2.9Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight