Lone Star College Employee Reviews

In Need of Management Over-haul
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  AnonymouseMarch 17, 2019
This school is in desperate need of a management over-haul. I read a lot of articles on leadership and management trends and yet to see and experience the right people in management positions.
This is another example of shooting from the hip. Placing people in management positions merely because they can create processes and then hoping to place people to work with them is a sabotage because they are no "people-oriented". The human factor needs to be valued; managers needs leadership skills building fast.
Productive and Fun working enviroment
Administrative Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Cypress, TXMarch 17, 2019
LSC is a upbeat and positive work atmosphere. Tons of opportunities to grow and learn more. Great benefits, professional development opportunities, and time off.
Every Person for Him/Herselft
Senior HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 13, 2019
Snake-pit culture of self-absorbed administrators. No leaders in sight; nor was the mission of education a concern for the admin staff, most of whom had never been teachers. Administrators were concerned about their pay and with raising it as often as possible, while keeping down the pay of their subordinates and piling increasing amounts of work on remaining staff after lay-offs and firings. Leadership has indebted the system almost a billion dollars and will be long gone when the principal comes due. The last chancellor fabricated his c.v. and caused multiple scandals, then retired to another country.
Pros
State retirement benefits
Cons
Horrible culture with tons of economic and emotional stress, as well as job insecurity and workload.
Job at Lone Star College
ADMINISTRATIVE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Fairbanks, TXMarch 7, 2019
Great place to work salary is too low for the cost of living. I think the position and salary is a determine by location. I would accept a position again there in another location.
Pros
Days off
Cons
Low wages
Great co-workers
ESOL Instructor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 2, 2019
The supervisor is excellent. Teaching here is great w/ classes in grammar, reading, writing, and oral communication. There's freedom to teach w/o constant supervision. The students make teaching a joy. However, for an adjunct, the number of classes per semester is very limited (can't earn a decent wage), no pay for preparation time, and no benefits aside from TIAA Cref mutual funds.
Pros
Freedom to try new ways of teaching as long as goals are met
Cons
no job security, no benefits, restricted number of hours for adjuncts
Very Productive
Contract Temporary (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXFebruary 25, 2019
I wish to make no comments.
Culture very diverse
Co-workers are awesome to work with
The don' t have a reliable system to keep up with accruals; it creates disputes and legal issues when employees retired or end employment with the college.
Pros
Lots of Time off
Cons
No Breaks for payroll Dept
Flexible hours and good pay, jobs are easy to do
ADVISING/COUNSELING ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Cypress, TXFebruary 21, 2019
I learned how to schedule people for appointments and sign them in to see advisers. Most work days are calm and the other employees are very helpful. The workplace is relaxed most of the time.
Good
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Kingwood, TXFebruary 14, 2019
I was an adjunct professor, so I taught off campus at SHS. It was a great experience, and I would love too it again if given the chance. Great college to work for.
Best job I've ever had
Multimedia Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tomball, TXFebruary 9, 2019
I love working here. Every day I walk in, I come out learning something new. It's a culture of GRIT and has a nonstop attitude of doing your best. I'd recommend anyone in need of a learning experience to work here.
Great Platform
Transfer Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Cypress, TXFebruary 7, 2019
LSC was a great way to learn the basics of working for a large corporation. I acquired skills to enable me to perform at a higher level and feel ready for anything.
Pros
Training available
Cons
Low pay
Good Place
Part-time Admissions Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 4, 2019
Nice working experience for students who work for the job study program. I learned what was needed for the time frame giving. I give my experience two thumbs up.
It was a great environment.
PC TECH II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 28, 2019
I enjoyed my time at Lone Star College System. I do recommend the company as a great entry point to learning a wide variety of computers, but once you've learned all you could it's difficult to advance to a higher position.
Pros
Time off for school
Cons
Not as much hours to work as preferred
Adjunct Faculty - Lone Star College - Conroe, TX (Former Employee) –  Conroe, TXJanuary 27, 2019
No full time work no full time positions but great pay and Co workers.
No benefits but plenty of time off. Good support system from the department.
Great place to work and develop a career
Executive Director, College Relations (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 25, 2019
Great benefits with an extraordinary benefit of time off along with earned vacation. Goals and mission is taking seriously with the focus on the students to achieve.
Adjunct Professor - English (Current Employee) –  Tomball, TXJanuary 21, 2019
Lone Star College is a good place to work. They are very supportive and want their employees and students to be successful. They offer their teachers the opportunity to work as much or as little as they want.
Pros
supportive staff
Cons
salary
NIce
Associate of Arts (Former Employee) –  Tomball, TXJanuary 20, 2019
Being born and raised in the Asian countries where English being a global language is not considered as the first language. This made it quite challenging in accessing some of the Social work information from a global perspective such as social issues being broadcasted from other countries and also communicating with other people who are not Asians was quite a problem. Literary, this is the reason why I have had the enthusiasm of making some modifications in my life and major in Social work.
Productive and fun workplace with ping-pong table.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 19, 2019
The work was different most days unless I was editing a video. I learned all about some of the different Adobe suits and the management was active in the process and great to work with. The workplace culture was fun and great to work in. The hardest part of the job was to learn how to make things work together when you have little to work with. And the most enjoyable is after figuring it out seeing the final results of your hard work.
Pros
Working on different things all the time.
Cons
It was only a semester.
Productive and fun work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tomball, TXJanuary 19, 2019
Typical started shifts with powering up a register and counting the till and ended shifts closing down register and counting the till.
I learned how to to not only be a sales associate but how to double as a cashier at the same time.
Most enjoyable part was having great coworkers
Great Experience
Buyer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 17, 2019
I learned quite a few things about quite a few different fields as I opportunity to purchase for several different types of goods and services. Everyone there was great and enjoyable to work with. The computer system was brand new but was a great system (iStar/ PeopleSoft). It just took time for people to get to learn it. It did get more "red tape" towards the end of my tenure that made it harder to get the job done and muddled up what some of the actual rules and processes were. With there initial system, I could get a good job / RFP done in a matter of 2-3 months. AT the end, there were several attempts to rebid and change structure and move things around as people in management changed. It may have ironed itself out. I hope it has as it was a very positive and great experience to be there.
Great experience with helping others.
Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXJanuary 16, 2019
Working in the front desk is exciting. You meet many new people and see different faces each day. My personal experience was very helpful. I was faced with different situations that helped me understand the needs of the students as well as the parents. It also helped me be familiar with the problem as well as the solution in case it happens again.
Pros
Flexible hours with my school hours.
Cons
Minimum hours to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lone Star College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight