Lone Star College Employee Reviews

Adjunct Faculty
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 30, 2018
As an Adjunct Faculty. You will not receive any benefits and will work extra hours in academic (preparing exams, evaluations on time, etc.) & administrative issues (mandatory training class, fill up forms, etc.) without receiving any pay for that. As a part-time job is unstable, you will not be sure if you will continue working the next semester. It will depend on the numbers of students that will be registering on the next semester.
Pros
they pay on time
Cons
the part time is unstable, you will not be sure if you continue working the next semester
Adjunct position
Mathematics Instructor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 10, 2018
It was an adjunct position which is a fancy way of saying contract worker which unfortunately many higher education institutions have been resorting to using to fill in the manpower. It's unfortunate. However, this college really helps you to grow and they genuinely care about their students and which universities they end up at after they finish their coursework here. Flexible hours but not much in terms of promotion, future job opportunities, benefits, unless you know someone on the inside who can get you in.
Lone Star is a very good place to work, but I need a full time job with benefits.
Academic Advisor II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 11, 2018
The management is excellent. The work is structured and well defined. The company culture that revolves around student success is strong and well assumed by the staff.
The work environment is pleasant.
Pros
Good benefits for full time. Work environment is great.
Cons
Working part time without benefits.
Productive and warm environment ensuring student success.
ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY LAB ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 2, 2018
A typical day at work consist of assisting students. I have learned skills in which have required me to be be confidential of documentation, scheduling, documenting, making appointments, copying, faxing, including technology assistance if needed. Workplace culture consist of an ongoing environment that always has functions, activities, and opportunity for growth and an enjoyable place to be.
Pros
Campus events
Cons
No benefits
Working as an adjunct at Lone Star - University Park
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  University ParkMay 22, 2018
The administration openly admits that you can make more money flipping burgers, so you need to approach the job as a labor of love. That being said, there's not much support for adjuncts, which the university relies on to teach the majority of its classes. The university offers professional development opportunities, but many of these offerings aren't relevant to every field, so their effectiveness is limited.

Pay is low, benefits are negligible, and there's really not much of a collegial atmosphere at all. Adjuncts do not have their own offices, although lockers are available. I've talked to other adjuncts on average once or twice a semester, but the full-time faculty members are generally recluses.
Not what I expected
Specialist IV (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 14, 2018
I knew the salary was low when I accepted the position but I thought the raise would make things better. I have a whole lot of job for a dismal amount of money.
Productive and great place to work
Financial Aid Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 28, 2018
LSC taught me a lot. I loved working with the students, knowing that I was helping them with their future career. It was great for me. I loved the fast paced environment.
Pros
Cons
no benefits if you are part time
Holidays and Special Schedules
Administrative Assistant, Full Time (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 17, 2018
Working at Lone Star College offers numerous benefits, but two of them include a special summer schedule with every Friday off and a long, winter holiday.
A learning experience.
Talent Acquisition Specialist (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXJuly 31, 2018
Working in this organization has definitely a learning experience. The one good thing is that they have employer covered benefits through BCBS of TX.
Strangled by bureaucracy
Career Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kingwood, TXFebruary 2, 2018
LSC does not promote from within.
Managers are unable to reward or promote direct reports.
All raises must go through the Board, and involves redefining the job description and creating a new position. Being strapped for cash, it is unlikely the Board will ever approve such a move, and converting a part-time position into a full-time position is less likely.
And even if this is all approved, the new position will then be advertised and filled by a search committee. Which means, by seeking a raise or a promotion, an employee might become unemployed.
Pros
Convenient location
Cons
no potential for career advancement
Work Environment
Specialist IV - Outreach and Recruitment (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXJuly 10, 2018
LSC provides a good work-life balance and laid back management style.
The hardest part is that room for advancement is limited with far more part-time positions when compared to full-time positions.
A Straight Forward and Simple Work Place.
Student (Current Employee) –  Cypress, TXAugust 5, 2018
Mostly decent for everyday at work. If you work at Lone Star College then you will learn how to cooperate better. The Management at Lone Star College Mostly on time because they usually post new events through online or at their work place. Workplace Culture sometimes feel lacking because some employees feel not as energetic as other employees.
Pros
Most Teachers/Professors have good energy vibe in them and know how to communicate with students.
Cons
Lacking Communication through Phone and Online Mail.
I enjoy working with students and people of all walks of life
Testing Administrator (Current Employee) –  Cypress, TXFebruary 24, 2018
The employees there could show a little more professionalism. The hardest part of working there is the pay; its under the poverty line. Everyone needs a break, even part time workers. We are not allowed to take breaks. We don't have benefits. Sometimes, I work 8 hours with no break.
Pros
Cons
pay, benefits are lack thereof, breaks, training.
Great place to work at.
Business Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 17, 2018
The mission drives the company and management is incredible. Very supportive. Love working with my team. Good work/life balance. Many opportunities to advance within the company.
Working for Lone Star College- Typical day
Part-time Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 26, 2018
A typical day at work would consisted of preparing the front counter for the day. This included making sure the copier,fax, and scan machine was functional. Retrieving transcripts and filing them accordingly. I learned how to reserve rooms interoffice, as well outer office clients. The job was not hard. The challenges allowed me to learn. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the students. There are many people that do not not know what to expect when applying for college. I took what I learned as a student, and applied it to different situations that would arise. The management at Lone Star College is pretty fair. They would work with me when and if I had classes. The culture of the workplace is very diverse and this is good because we live in a diverse city.
Pros
Working around school schedules, free lunches, helping students
Cons
Not being able to take breaks, short-handed at times
I enjoyed the position
Adjunct Professor of Art (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 28, 2018
Lots of freedom to teach as I wanted and a good salary. A great part-time job. Very little to no supervision and a flexible schedule. I would recommend working here.
Pros
Part-time
Cons
No benefits
Great opportunities
Coordinator I/Bilingual (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 25, 2018
Diverse opportunities to grow as an employee. Excellent benefits, amazing staff, and staff development opportunities. Good balance of work expectations and personal growth opportunities.
Pros
Winter Break and Spring Break
Very flexible with students
Food Service Member (Former Employee) –  Cypress, TXFebruary 19, 2018
It is a teamwork based environment. We have to communicate with each other to make sure everything is stocked and working well. It is a good place to start.
Pros
Flexible with students
Cons
No real benifits
nice place to work
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 17, 2018
They offer very poor pay for adjucts instructors and limited hours to teach. There is 7 adjunct instructors to every full-time teacher and the opportunity for advancement into full-time employment is extremely low.
Pros
great training, great employees
Cons
pay
Great Place to WORK
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Cypress, TXOctober 2, 2018
Lone Star College is an excellent place to work, I recommend to all individuals. My work life balance is perfect and the students are very cooperative and the staff is always helpful.
Pros
Everything is GREAT!
Cons
N/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lone Star College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

See reviews about

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight