Lone Star College Employee Reviews

Lone Star College -North Harris
Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 23, 2018
There is a lack of trust between the staff and administration. "Blame" mentality that is drive by administration. High turn over rate.

Hardest part of the job is being a hard worker without being taken advantage of and rewarded properly.
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 15, 2018
Lone Star College is a great place to work. They keep all of their employees in the loop with constant communication. They pride themselves on collaboration.
I enjoy my job
Script Reader (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 13, 2018
Working at Lonestar has been a joy I like what I do. management is the best i have had, dealing with disable adult students can be challenging however I enjoy that the most.
Fun learning environment where everybody cares
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kingwood, TXApril 9, 2018
Everyone is really friendly and easy to get along with. Great support from the superiors. The hardest part of the job was the actual work part. The culture at Lone Star really de-stresses your day and makes it easy to go to work.
Confusing Computer programs
Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Tomball, TXApril 5, 2018
Love the job. There are three different programs to enter grades, makin it harder to get them all done. Especially since they programs do not connect, so double the work. Students are great, love the hospital clinics. Love being able to influence students
a cool and excellent beginner place to work
Assistant carpenter (Former Employee) –  Kingwood, TXApril 2, 2018
i loved working there. staff was great and fun. the administation is where they fall short. with drastic budget cuts constanly to an already small budget.
Great place to grow as an Educator
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Tomball, TXMarch 29, 2018
Lone Star is a student centered place for educators to grow as they help their students grow. Management is always willing to help with questions, concerns, or solutions.
Pros
Enjoyable place to work-Student centered
Cons
Part-time
Alloted time
Division Operations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 28, 2018
Down Time is good between semesters, it gives you time to catch up on things that may need some attention that can't be taken care of during the peak of the semester.
Pros
No designated time for lunch.
Cons
Pay is poor.
Colege
Student (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 27, 2018
Great School good professors good. I learned a lot about my job there because of my professors they taught the curriculum strictly by the syllabus and I learned everything I needed to know about my job.
Great place to teach
ESOL Instructor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 26, 2018
Love working at LSC. There are many many very dedicated professors. I just wish I could've picked up more classes, you never know with student numbers. Worked for 10+ years teaching classes at various LSC campuses.
Pros
Working with ESOL students
Cons
No class guaranteed every term to make
Good Experience
FINANCIAL AID SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 22, 2018
We worked 8 hour shifts with 1 hour for lunch.
No OT available.
Paperwork had to filled out with every phone call.
Required to answer 40 to 90 calls in 1 hour.
Pros
Fuddruckers and Luby's were the cafeteria
Cons
extremely stressful, cubical life
Great Place To Work
Great Place To Work (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 21, 2018
Great Place To Work. I would recommend it to others who would like to work in higher education. The paid time off is great and everyone is friendly.
Great Company
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 17, 2018
Workplace culture were relaxing.Typical day at work were busy. I learned time management and office procedure skills. Management communicated great with their employee members.
Specialist III
Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 17, 2018
Great job but 90% of employees are pat-time, 20 hours a week or less. Good place to work and management and employees appear to care about their job and the students.
Pros
nice place to work
Cons
pay rate does not increase unless you move to a higher paying position, very hard to transfer into a higher paying job
A Melting Pot of Hope and Guidance
Adjunct Faculty (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 13, 2018
As a Faculty Adjunct at Lone Star College- Kingwood campus, I have my full attention directed toward my students and my professional development. My hours are often spent working on planning lessons and activities, working with students, and student assessment. However, as is experienced by most adjunct faculty, I am only paid for three hours a week which are devoted to interaction with students and not for any office hours, or external lesson planning or grading. Thankfully, I am allowed to work from home and I have online access to WebEx, which means I can speak with my students via video chat.
Lone Star College has afforded me resources, workshops, and active learning experience to better perform as an educator. I have been given a great opportunity to help lower-income students who want to find education to support themselves and their families like myself.
I only wish that I could meet with fellow adjuncts in my department more often so that I can seek out ways to better focus my lessons and objectives.
Pros
access to library databases, online interfacing, professional development opportunities
Cons
no paid vacation, no pay for hours spent working outside student interaction
Lone Star Book Store
Back Stock Manager (Former Employee) –  Tomball, TXMarch 12, 2018
At the bookstore, I spent most of my time stocking and consolidating inventory and shipping. I learned how inventory control worked. It was a pleasant atmosphere and employed mostly students. The were not really any hard parts of the job.
Pros
Learning about inventory and being able to work on campus
Cons
nothing
I enjoy working with students and people of all walks of life
Testing Administrator (Current Employee) –  Cypress, TXFebruary 24, 2018
The employees there could show a little more professionalism. The hardest part of working there is the pay; its under the poverty line. Everyone needs a break, even part time workers. We are not allowed to take breaks. We don't have benefits. Sometimes, I work 8 hours with no break.
Pros
Cons
pay, benefits are lack thereof, breaks, training.
Adjunct
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 23, 2018
Great place to work!! Wonderful amount of classes so that you can pick up as many or as little as you want. CE hours for adjuncts. Tomball and UP have a friendly climate.
Very flexible with students
Food Service Member (Former Employee) –  Cypress, TXFebruary 19, 2018
It is a teamwork based environment. We have to communicate with each other to make sure everything is stocked and working well. It is a good place to start.
Pros
Flexible with students
Cons
No real benifits
Kingwood location is nice place to work
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Kingwood, TXFebruary 19, 2018
Worked PRN status, teacher retirement is available, students & staff are cordial to one another, campus is very pretty with a lot of trees and a few resident racoons that like to pop up out of the trash. Campus is located in a woodsy area with mature trees and a peaceful atmosphere

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lone Star College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight