Lone Star College Culture reviews

Fun and Interactive Job
Financial Aid PT Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 28, 2019
This is definitely a great place to work in. Amazing staff and very interactive with each other. Definitely feels like a second family in many ways. The job has its down times, but always have something to do. Not stressful at all and if work load is heavy, most team members are always up to lending a helping hand.
Every Person for Him/Herselft
Senior HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 13, 2019
Snake-pit culture of self-absorbed administrators. No leaders in sight; nor was the mission of education a concern for the admin staff, most of whom had never been teachers. Administrators were concerned about their pay and with raising it as often as possible, while keeping down the pay of their subordinates and piling increasing amounts of work on remaining staff after lay-offs and firings. Leadership has indebted the system almost a billion dollars and will be long gone when the principal comes due. The last chancellor fabricated his c.v. and caused multiple scandals, then retired to another country.
Pros
State retirement benefits
Cons
Horrible culture with tons of economic and emotional stress, as well as job insecurity and workload.
Very Productive
Contract Temporary (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXFebruary 25, 2019
I wish to make no comments.
Culture very diverse
Co-workers are awesome to work with
The don' t have a reliable system to keep up with accruals; it creates disputes and legal issues when employees retired or end employment with the college.
Pros
Lots of Time off
Cons
No Breaks for payroll Dept
Best job I've ever had
Multimedia Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tomball, TXFebruary 9, 2019
I love working here. Every day I walk in, I come out learning something new. It's a culture of GRIT and has a nonstop attitude of doing your best. I'd recommend anyone in need of a learning experience to work here.
Productive and fun workplace with ping-pong table.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 19, 2019
The work was different most days unless I was editing a video. I learned all about some of the different Adobe suits and the management was active in the process and great to work with. The workplace culture was fun and great to work in. The hardest part of the job was to learn how to make things work together when you have little to work with. And the most enjoyable is after figuring it out seeing the final results of your hard work.
Pros
Working on different things all the time.
Cons
It was only a semester.
Productive workplace
PROGRAM MANAGER - AmeriCorps (Kingwood) (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXJanuary 6, 2019
Productive workplace with focus on student success. On a typical day, I interacted with staff and students as we pursued the objectives of our program. Working with students was both the hardest and yet the most enjoyable part of my job.
The management knew what they were doing to make it a fun place to work there.
Part time Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Cypress, TX 77433January 6, 2019
A typical day at work, I start off by signing in the students to see the advisors and then I end my day by talking to students and planning with them what they want to see happen on campus. The enjoyable part of the job was that the work place felt like family. What I learned from this job is how to multitask and and be a team leader and a team player. The management was nice if I had a problem they would work with me to find a soulution. Overall I liked working at Lonestar as a Peer Mentor.
Pros
Free lunches, Loved the people I worked with, the management
Cons
Not enough hours
Much better now
PC Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 2, 2019
It's a much better place to work than before with more competitive pay than before and a better work environment. Overall I have had a great experience with this job.
Pros
good pay, flexible schedule
Cons
not many advancement opportunities.
Allowed several students with learning disabilities attend LSC
Workforce Skills Instructor (Current Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXDecember 6, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is assisting students to achieve their goals. I met students from various cultures and countries. I learned as much from the students as they did from me.
Pros
discount at bookstore
Cons
loud students in hallways
Lone Star is a very good place to work, but I need a full time job with benefits.
Academic Advisor II (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 11, 2018
The management is excellent. The work is structured and well defined. The company culture that revolves around student success is strong and well assumed by the staff.
The work environment is pleasant.
Pros
Good benefits for full time. Work environment is great.
Cons
Working part time without benefits.
Fun learning workplace
Receptionist\Assistant (Work Study/Part Time) (Former Employee) –  Tomball, TX 77375October 13, 2018
* Great place to work
* Slow pace environment
* Workplace culture is awesome
* Supervisors are very nice and very helpful
* No hard parts of the job
* Very easy
Great
Director, Construction Project Training Grant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 9, 2018
That was a great experience to work with fantastic people working together to help provide a superior environment to educate students and prepare them for the workforce.
Great Place to WORK
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Cypress, TXOctober 2, 2018
Lone Star College is an excellent place to work, I recommend to all individuals. My work life balance is perfect and the students are very cooperative and the staff is always helpful.
Pros
Everything is GREAT!
Cons
N/a
Outstanding workplace
Test Proctor (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXSeptember 19, 2018
The group of people I work with are great! Boss is awesome and hours are perfect for me. I look forward to work - I don’t dread it. Lots of people to meet,
Pros
Fun atmosphere, helping students further their education
Cons
N/a
very cohesive work group.
Adjunct faculty for all levels (Current Employee) –  Tomball, TXAugust 14, 2018
Lonestar Tomball is a great place to work. The faculty are all part of the team that makes the students successful. Everyone makes sure to help each other out.
Pros
Great support form administration
Cons
A Straight Forward and Simple Work Place.
Student (Current Employee) –  Cypress, TXAugust 5, 2018
Mostly decent for everyday at work. If you work at Lone Star College then you will learn how to cooperate better. The Management at Lone Star College Mostly on time because they usually post new events through online or at their work place. Workplace Culture sometimes feel lacking because some employees feel not as energetic as other employees.
Pros
Most Teachers/Professors have good energy vibe in them and know how to communicate with students.
Cons
Lacking Communication through Phone and Online Mail.
Great work environment!
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Tomball, TXJuly 6, 2018
I love my job. Just wish it were full-time. Great opportunities to learn new skills. Has gym available for staff. Co-workers are very helpful and friendly. Great work environment!
Pros
flexible
Cons
part-time
Productive and warm environment ensuring student success.
ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY LAB ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 2, 2018
A typical day at work consist of assisting students. I have learned skills in which have required me to be be confidential of documentation, scheduling, documenting, making appointments, copying, faxing, including technology assistance if needed. Workplace culture consist of an ongoing environment that always has functions, activities, and opportunity for growth and an enjoyable place to be.
Pros
Campus events
Cons
No benefits
Productive and great place to work
Financial Aid Specialist II (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 28, 2018
LSC taught me a lot. I loved working with the students, knowing that I was helping them with their future career. It was great for me. I loved the fast paced environment.
Pros
Cons
no benefits if you are part time
fun place to work
Advisor (Current Employee) –  Tomball, TXJune 12, 2018
helping students choose classes. I explained to new students how things work. The hard part is when they cut our hours. The culture is good. My co-workers are friendly and helpful. Another stressful part is when we have "rush" to get everyone signed up for classes and they waited to the last second to come in and get help.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lone Star College. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.3Personal Development

3.6Career Opportunities

2.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight