Long Beach City College Employee Reviews

Enjoyed my time there
STUDENT COMPUTER TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAAugust 7, 2018
I was a student assistant who helped with technical problems that would take place in classrooms. The teachers enjoy getting the help and do take the time to know you as you're the help.
Tutor, Long Beach City College
Reading and Writing Tutor (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 30, 2018
Reading and writing tutor for college students of low socioeconomic status. Assisted in developing lesson plans and activities to promote an increase in literacy and writing proficiency.
Pros
Collaborative environment, rewarding experience, great management
Long Beach City College
College Student Full Time (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 6, 2018
LBCC gives underprivileged students the chance at obtaining career goals at no cost. The professors are great and the students are given encouragement to succeed.
good place to work.
Clinical Nurse Instructor (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CA 90808June 13, 2018
teaching RN students was my love but there were many colleges and universities using Long Beach Memorial Hospital. It was difficult to find patients if another school was there at the time. The students and the other Clinical educators were great.
Working at the junior college
Counseling Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMay 26, 2018
While working in the college counseling office, the staff was friendly and helpful. But the salary in the work studies program, wasn't enough to live off of $6.50 per hour. You can work a shift in between classes, but it was only fast pace one day of the week.
Pros
Friendly, helpful work environment.
Cons
work studies program pay is really low.
Great place to work.
Student Union Worker (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMay 20, 2018
Student Services so the day could include meeting with the school senate, hosting club days, decorating for homecoming, or Blood drives. Errands assisting with student I.D.'s. Worked closely with the Therapists and interns addressing Students Mental health appointment.
Very fun
Professor's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMay 6, 2018
It was pretty low-key. It was not too hard and luckily I mentored under a good professor. The students were very driven and easy to work with. It was an overall good experience.
Nice place to work, not a good outlook long-term
Classified Staff (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMay 4, 2018
The people at Long Beach City College, are really friendly and nice (co-workers, managers, etc). However, the College itself is facing some serious crises and it is very unpredictable as an employer. I was given extra training while I was here, which I was thankful for. My direct manager was really great. The culture is very relaxed for the most part and people are in an upbeat mood. However, the College needs help! Many staff in the Department I was in were working more than one job, with no pay increase. There were layoffs. The College's merit system needs a major revise. They have a lot of people working out of class in other positions, then they open those positions up vs just hiring internally. When jobs expire there is nowhere for people to go. They have a lot of "lifetime" employees who, while friendly and nice, lack higher level writing and comprehensive skills. They could really use more training, and the whole college needs a re-class. Sometimes you could tell the management was playing favorites, even if it made little to no sense whatsoever. The good part? You get a lot of vacation time. However, your pay is grossly lower than the cost of living in the area. I'll put it this way, if you are classified staff, you probably either need a free roof over your head or you have to be married to someone. You can't afford a house or condo in the area without it eating up 60% or more of your salary after taxes.
Pros
Vacation
Cons
Unpredictable
Adjunct professors ignored
Microbiology Professor (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMarch 26, 2018
Adjunct professors make up a majority of faculty at the college yet there are no benefits, time off, or even knowledge of course offerings until late in school semester for future. I just found out the school will not be offering Microbiology next semester due to building construction. When were they going to tell me? I heard a rumor from a student. I had to ask the chairperson.
Office Assistant LTE (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMarch 11, 2018
A typical day is answering the phones and resolving issues that students might be having with admissions and financial aid. If they had any other issues with enrollment services the phone call would be transferred to that specific department and we would also provide the number just in case the department did not answer the phone.
good mangament
Supplemental instructor (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAFebruary 24, 2018
great staff
diversity
safe environment
learning environment
great instructors
great multi success program
provides food at the food court
parking isn't bad
School
Student (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAFebruary 13, 2018
I am a full time student at Long Beach City College. A typical day includes going to class on both campus. A benefit of the college is the fact that all of the resources offered. Most resources are easy to find, and if you have trouble there is such a sense of community on the campus any of the students would be willing to help you find said resource.
Tutor
Supplemental Instructor, General Microbiology (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAFebruary 3, 2018
Great place to work where you will always be busy and find more challenging tasks to master. If you love school, you will love working for a higher education campus.
this is a school not a job
sales and upselling items to various clients (Former Employee) –  Signal Hill, CAJanuary 26, 2018
LBCC registered nursing program is hard, but worth it. They well prepare you for working as a registered nurse. Whats great about this program, is they want hard working people. If you don't fit that criteria do not apply.
Pros
you have a career after you're done
Cons
two years of team no sleep, no fun only after finals =)
Rewarding
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CADecember 26, 2017
I loved it. Super relaxed and fun. You're helping others and it is an amazing feeling. Only con is that you do not get a lot of hours. Since, the tutoring center operated from 8:00am-8:00pm, and as a student you are attending classes between those time. It is hard to find hours for to work between, before and after classes.
Lbcc
Support Services Aide (Former Employee) –  Long BeachDecember 18, 2017
This is a good company to work for. Caring stafff. Not enough hours. Fair compensation. No advancement opportunities. Friendly work environment. Great balance between work and family.
Pros
Caring staff. Good management.
Cons
No advancement opportunities.
loved it
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CADecember 15, 2017
Management was very efficient and organized. I always enjoyed going to work and working with others there because it was friendly, and people genuinely cared for one another.
Nice Place to be a part time instructor
Part time course instructor (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CADecember 7, 2017
But I worked here in the 1980's. Who knows what it's like now? Back then, the only way to get hired full time was to get a teaching credential, which I wasn't gonna do.
Pros
Teaching is Fun
Cons
Modest Pay for Temporary Work
Long Beach City College
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CANovember 30, 2017
Typical work day would consist of trouble shooting computer issues, assisting in moving printers and other computer equipment. Sorting through mail, and try to be efficient with multiple technical equipment.
Pros
Relaxed environment, good interaction with coworkers.
Cons
No real chance permanent job.
Part time employee
Accounting Technician II (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CANovember 27, 2017
Allowed me to have a work-life balance but the positions are not many that allow for such. I thought they were flexible with the schedule I set for myself, sometimes allowing me to work other days to make up for the time. I worked 18 hours. I could’ve worked a little more but I believe working more hours would’ve required I be provided with medical insurance. Although I did have enough work to get me over the medical insurance threshold, they would not grant it.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Part time employees not offered healthcare