Long Island University Employee Reviews

Revolving Door
Administration (Current Employee) –  Brookville, NYMarch 17, 2019
People come and go quickly. No job security. Keep your head down and hope no one in upper management notices you. Forget having an opinion becuase if it isn't the same as the Presidents then you're gone. Raises have not been given in over 8 years. No opportunity to advance and tuition remission is basically a joke. Health insurance is good but you'll pay a pretty penny for it.
Pros
Everyoone is real friendly
Cons
No advancement, Management has no clear vision, terrible morale.
Office Assistant, Art Department (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 12, 2019
i was in college and this was just work steady. It was great experience to work in the Art Department when i was in college. I stop doing work steady before i graduated.
Not productive,disappointing management
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 7, 2019
The managers are not supportive when it comes to availability of a student to work amidst several other things that a student has to take care of. The environment is very unfriendly. I would not recommend anybody to work here.
Great experience
Student Reporter (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 19, 2019
For emerging journalists and communication majors, getting the experience of working for and creating a newspaper that students actually look forward to is the exact first step many of us needed.
Adjunct professor of acctg
Adjunct Professor of Accounting (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYFebruary 9, 2019
I taught an advanced accounting class and was asked by the college to become an Adjunct Professor. I taught a 5 hour class every Saturday for 3 months.
Pros
Challenging to teach advance accounting students and CPAs
Cons
5 hours is a long time to teach
Zero job security and very low pay
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Greenvale, NYFebruary 6, 2019
The current leadership/management is awful. You can work long hours and meet all the goals set by your supervisor and then get let go by senior management who you have never worked with and rarely even spoke too. Don’t be surprised if your supervisor is fired as well. Very depressing place to work with people always afraid they will be let go next. Students suffer as well with poor services from administration.
Pros
Paid time off, help students
Cons
low pay, no job security
An good private university now driven by an MBA mentality
Full Professor (Former Employee) –  Southampton, NYJanuary 20, 2019
The university has changed over the past several years and has ben plagued by unwise and ill-equipped presidencies. The current context is bottom line driven at the expense of the academic program.
I enjoyed working at LIU especially when I received my BA in music and entered my world of the Arts. Unfortunately it was short lived.
House Manager/Administrative Assistant to Provost (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 17, 2019
I enjoyed working at LIU especially when I received my BA in music and entered my world of the Arts. Unfortunately it was short lived due to it being a contract job. Had it been union, I think I would have still been there. I started out working with high level management. It was an enriching experience. I entered a management role and it was easy to be let go of the position. I believe that happened when the economy crashed is why I was let go. However, It was an enriching experience.
Pros
Free tuition and nearby subways
Cons
Contract
Education - Go here if you have the funds
Student (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 8, 2019
I would only suggest going to LIU - Brooklyn, if you have the funds to attend this school and if you major is highly rated and favored by the university. Otherwise you'll be drowning in debt for the rest of your life. The financial aid people are NOT helpful. They are rude and nasty for absolutely no reason at all.
Pros
Fun Campus
Cons
Financial aid personnel
I didn't enjoy my experience attending this school.
supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 3, 2018
This school wasn't very helpful with finding a career path or with even meeting with me to discuss these things. The professors do not help you with options for your future.
Professional
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 13, 2018
A typical day at work was quiet. I learn how to plan a company's budget. Management was friendly. The culture of the workplace was professional and casual. The hardest part of the job was not receiving training and having to learn everything on my own. The most enjoyable part was working in a college setting and learning.
Collegiality is missing!!
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 6, 2018
In my humble opinion: LIU is run by a top-down management style, very little input from employees. The University is micro-managed, the majority of decisions are made by one person.
Pros
LIU has a nice gym
Cons
You could be there today and gone tomorrow; no notice. Also, in my humble opinion, an unreasonable severance.
great work place
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 23, 2018
cleaning a large college campus
slow paste my self
great management
great work place
no hard days
seeing the smiles on my face and other faces of the hard work i done
Pros
free lunch
Cons
short breaks
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 21, 2018
I was working in library as part time. I had to check the data in the system and had to make spreadsheets in excel. I also have to check electronically that the books are available in library or not.
Long Island University
Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 15, 2018
Always on edge here. You never know when you'll be fired or funding is cut. At some points we didn't even know budget until semester has started already. The president of the University seems to favor the Post campus over the Brooklyn one.
Fun
Assistant Track & Field Coach, Field Events (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 8, 2018
Great place to work, fun. Nice staff. Beautiful campus, lots of history, around many great places, great location downtown Brooklyn the heart of everything
If you are black you will get a job if your're not you will get denied
Laboratory Intern (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 7, 2018
Everytime I dropped off my application I got an eye roll and well call you back. Only thing I was able to get was internship at the lab unpaid no credit through a friend this place is a highway robber.
Pros
Cons
staff professionalism
Great Experience for graduate assistant
Videographer and Editor, Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 4, 2018
My responsibility was about all of the visual arts in the campus, which included a graphic design, Logo adjustment, and video production. Shooting and editing video for professors for the class was my basis jobs as well.

However, LIU also offer the opportunity to learn from the field and t helps me improve my skills.

The atmosphere was very friendly and slow pace. But also as a professional, everyone were very responsible to do their tasks and never left its to anyone else. ^^
Pros
coworker, salary, time
Cons
comfort zone
Relaxed environment
Academic Counselor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYAugust 31, 2018
Enjoyed my time with the HEOP program at LIU. Learned a lot and was able to relate to students since I was a graduate from the HEOP program and LIU...
Pros
Helpful co-workers
Cons
No paid sick days or vacation
What once as great
ADJUNCT PROFESSOR (Former Employee) –  Oyster Bay, NYAugust 15, 2018
The place good be wonderful but got tired and dated. They refuse to change or hire who is the best candidates. They play politics and games and the students suffer. sad Environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Long Island University. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss