Loram Maintenance of Way Employee Reviews

Poor team leadership
Lead Technical Editor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 4, 2018
This problem improved slightly when I left the company. I recommended that my supervisor, who knew nothing about what his team actually did, be moved to another department. He was. I recommended that the most experienced writer in the group be promoted to oversee the team. This occurred.
Pros
Nice people, loyal to the company
Cons
Lowest pay in the industry
Good company to intern with
Intern (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNAugust 23, 2018
I learned a lot during my internship. My manager provided consistent direction and guidance. I would highly recommend interning here. I was assigned multiple projects at the beginning of the summer and I never ran out of tasks to complete.

This is strictly my personal opinion and I have no idea if any of my fellow interns felt the same.
Pros
Low-stress evironment, my manager was rational and knowledgeable
Cons
Caribou coffee is low-quality coffee, pay isn't fantastic
Slow time consuming dangerous work.
General Laborer (Current Employee) –  Hamel, MNSeptember 11, 2018
This company does not consider themselves railroad. Being that they are not railroad, its their reason for paying new hires $14 an hour and crew chiefs $16, to whereas Amtrack New hires start off at $31 an hour. We pre-trip the service train, do the main mechanic work, general maitenance, and operate forward and backward moves, read signals and switches. How is this not railroad? Worst thing worse, LORAM does not pay per diem and you are 1,235 miles away from home working four days a week then sitting up in a hotel room all day unless you are running errands for LORAM. Use them for the training and go to a railroad job paying big bucks. LORAM has been in business for sixty years and pay New hires as if this was sixty years ago.
Pros
Learn how the railroad works
Cons
Learn how the railroad works at low pay, no per diem, and away from home.
nice traveling job
Crew Chief Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNNovember 14, 2018
If you want to travel the US this is the company to work for. But beware of the cliques within the company, and pray you get a level minded supervisor, because a lot of small town southerners work for this company, to which a lot of them aren't used to other demographics of people.
This is a good place to work.
Machine Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaSeptember 26, 2018
It's a rewarding team-work environment. We work many hours together and are very productive. The hardest part of the job are the number of hours we work daily and weekly and the time away from home.
Small Company with Good People who are willing to help
Electrical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNMay 23, 2018
The electrical engineering group was comprised of five full-time workers and two interns. Because of this, I had access to multiple people with years of experience and learned so much in such a short amount of time. Everyone was willing to help and the head of engineering was right across from me so whenever I needed help I just needed to knock on his door.
the money is great. if you are single you need to apply here
Machine operator (Current Employee) –  nationwideJuly 23, 2018
you work on the railroad no place for sensitivity. you work outside in all weather. you work long hours and if you break down you work until it is fixed. you work 6-7 days a week you will make a lot of money. you will learn a lot. there is no maintenance team to come save you will learn hydraulics, electrical, welding, metal working, and diesel just jump in there and don't be afraid to learn.
I promise you this: as new person all your crew cheif and supervisor will want or need you to do is to learn how to preform a brake test in the morning, drive the truck on travel days, be point person occasionally, and bring them tools/ want to learn with something breaks.
brake test, truck, and tools. its not hard don't be intimidated.
you will see the country for free.
the hardest part will be being away from your family and friends.
it opens the door to 6 figure jobs
Pros
1000 a week pay, travel, experience, benefits
Cons
being away from home for 3 months at a time, coworkers
Good for young folks
Field Operations/Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNAugust 12, 2018
Great choice for young folks with no wife. You are on the road ALOT. But you save lots of money if you are young. Live at home with parents on your time off.
Pros
401K, Benefits, advancement
Cons
On road
depressing
Senior Machine Builder, team lead (Current Employee) –  Hamel, MNOctober 25, 2018
This company is full of promases, great at keeping employees in the dark, full of drama and great at changing up what that told you was going to happen next,
its GREAT if youre single and love to travel.
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNJuly 18, 2018
its a "GREAT" company to work for if you're single and love/want to travel. I myself loved it but I'm not single .I do though love to travel and it was awesome. thank you.
Pros
travel
Cons
no home time.
Busy place
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNSeptember 6, 2018
You work long hard hours and are away from home and family for long periods of time. Pay and benefits are good. The training was very good too. Can be very strainious work.
Difficult work/life balance, Decent management
Maintenance Lead (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNJuly 8, 2018
Difficult work/life balance, Decent management. Long hours away from family. Management and CEO at that time good to work for. Would work there again.
Easy job
Operator/Laborer (Current Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILJune 9, 2018
This job for a single man not for a family man
You will work long hours in the hotel room must of the time you will have some good co workers and you will have some bad but all around good job
Pros
Good hours and money
Cons
Bad management
Hard to get home time
Friction Management R&D Field Technician (Current Employee) –  Hamel, MNMay 11, 2018
It's hard to get home time with this company. The first year or two I was gone for 2-3 months at a time. Even having gotten promoted higher in the company I may only be home once every two weeks.
almost like a frozen HEL
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Marshall, MNJanuary 22, 2018
It always SUCKED !!!- ALL of it, frostbite always never knew when you finally got to quit for the day, and if you EVER missed the crew truck in the morn your walking home all on your own (and nobody would even care to give you a heads up or calll your room
Cons
nothin but cons working with ya, ex cons.. fresh out of pen
A Dangerous Necessity
Licensed and certified (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 27, 2017
We were told numerous times that the job would be dirty.
I get that and appreciate the candor. However, there was very important information that they negated to tell us. The dirt we were removing from the ballast, was full of carcinogens and extremely hazardous to our health. For that deception, I am still angry.
Pros
Lots of traveling. New sights.
Cons
Dangerous and Hazardous
If you like adventure and travel its a good job
Crew member, operator and Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNDecember 12, 2017
This was a job that included a lot of traveling about the country. A worker gets to learn a bunch of skill which is a good thing. You can start as a ground crew person and work up to a machine operator. The hours can be extremely long. I worked as much as 91 hours in one week. It can be very hard working for 2 months and the coming home for a couple of weeks.
Pros
Interesting, lots to learn and travel
Cons
Out on the road for months in a time.
Good Stepping stone
Operator One (Current Employee) –  Hamel, MNMarch 20, 2018
It's alright for the money but the hours can get you at times. You're required to travel everyday and be away from your home six weeks at a time but if you can deal with that you can make a lot of money quick
It is a good company to work for with great advancement oppertunities
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 3, 2018
I liked my time at Loram i am just looking for something a little closer to home. The crew i was on was wonderful and i gained many new abilities through working there. I would also recomend the company to anybody who likes to travel and loves to work.
Fast pace work life
Night Mainenance Lead (Current Employee) –  Hamel, MNDecember 3, 2017
Its a fast pace work life with Loram. you have to be alert at all time work safely. Never assume anything always ask questions. Be proactive. Be on time for the truck to go to work.
Pros
Good benifits package, They pay for the motel room, the flight home, the flight back to work for your 2weeks off
Cons
long hours, gone for 6 weeks the off for 2 weeks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Loram Maintenance of Way. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about