Loram Maintenance of Way Employee Reviews

Easy job
Operator/Laborer (Current Employee) –  Carol Stream, ILJune 9, 2018
This job for a single man not for a family man
You will work long hours in the hotel room must of the time you will have some good co workers and you will have some bad but all around good job
Pros
Good hours and money
Cons
Bad management
Small Company with Good People who are willing to help
Electrical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNMay 23, 2018
The electrical engineering group was comprised of five full-time workers and two interns. Because of this, I had access to multiple people with years of experience and learned so much in such a short amount of time. Everyone was willing to help and the head of engineering was right across from me so whenever I needed help I just needed to knock on his door.
Hard to get home time
Friction Management R&D Field Technician (Current Employee) –  Hamel, MNMay 11, 2018
It's hard to get home time with this company. The first year or two I was gone for 2-3 months at a time. Even having gotten promoted higher in the company I may only be home once every two weeks.
Good Stepping stone
Operator One (Current Employee) –  Hamel, MNMarch 20, 2018
It's alright for the money but the hours can get you at times. You're required to travel everyday and be away from your home six weeks at a time but if you can deal with that you can make a lot of money quick
Horrible
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNFebruary 3, 2018
Horrible place to work. Do not work here unless your looking for unnecessary stress and drama. Not worth the time or money. Supernindent dating employees.
Pros
Cons
Negative people
almost like a frozen HEL
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Marshall, MNJanuary 22, 2018
It always SUCKED !!!- ALL of it, frostbite always never knew when you finally got to quit for the day, and if you EVER missed the crew truck in the morn your walking home all on your own (and nobody would even care to give you a heads up or calll your room
Cons
nothin but cons working with ya, ex cons.. fresh out of pen
It is a good company to work for with great advancement oppertunities
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 3, 2018
I liked my time at Loram i am just looking for something a little closer to home. The crew i was on was wonderful and i gained many new abilities through working there. I would also recomend the company to anybody who likes to travel and loves to work.
A Dangerous Necessity
Licensed and certified (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 27, 2017
We were told numerous times that the job would be dirty.
I get that and appreciate the candor. However, there was very important information that they negated to tell us. The dirt we were removing from the ballast, was full of carcinogens and extremely hazardous to our health. For that deception, I am still angry.
Pros
Lots of traveling. New sights.
Cons
Dangerous and Hazardous
Love the outdoor work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNDecember 16, 2017
I got to travel alot state to state learned how to operate million dollar equipment meet new people your hotels were always nice I wish I had a second chance
If you like adventure and travel its a good job
Crew member, operator and Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNDecember 12, 2017
This was a job that included a lot of traveling about the country. A worker gets to learn a bunch of skill which is a good thing. You can start as a ground crew person and work up to a machine operator. The hours can be extremely long. I worked as much as 91 hours in one week. It can be very hard working for 2 months and the coming home for a couple of weeks.
Pros
Interesting, lots to learn and travel
Cons
Out on the road for months in a time.
Fast pace work life
Night Mainenance Lead (Current Employee) –  Hamel, MNDecember 3, 2017
Its a fast pace work life with Loram. you have to be alert at all time work safely. Never assume anything always ask questions. Be proactive. Be on time for the truck to go to work.
Pros
Good benifits package, They pay for the motel room, the flight home, the flight back to work for your 2weeks off
Cons
long hours, gone for 6 weeks the off for 2 weeks
Working At Loram
Rail Grinder (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis-Saint Paul, MNDecember 1, 2017
Loram is ok to work for depending on managment, what i mean by that is some supervisors are fair and others are not! i enjoy all the traveling, while trying to exel with the company.
Not safe
Way- Electrical Machine Builder (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNNovember 19, 2017
Loram is an extremely unsafe place to work. Management turns their head to unsafe work practices just to get a job done fast. I personally was injured on the job due to improper tools offered to enter and exit the train cars.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Very unsafe work conditions
No work/life balance
Benefits Manager (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNNovember 13, 2017
Their attrition rate is well above 50%. That should say enough. I typically worked at least 12 hour days. Management treats people like garbage. I asked to use my PTO and was told that it was not something I would be allowed to do ever actually do.
Will destroy your family
Na (Current Employee) –  AnywhereNovember 1, 2017
You go home for 2 weeks every 12+ weeks. They initially tell you you'll go home every 6-8 weeks, but it's not true. You stay in dumpy hotels in the middle of nowhere. The only way to move up is to step on other people and get close to the boss. You have access to a work truck when someone else hasn't taken it to the bar or strip clubs. Not a job for someone with a family or in a relationship. It will ruin whatever personal/family life you have. The pay is low but people stay because of the overtime. Benefits are good. Overall, the money isn't worth the time away from your family and what you spend on food.
Pros
Benefits & overtime
Cons
Never get to see family, long hrs, low pay
Productive workplace
Crew Chief Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hamel, MNOctober 28, 2017
It's a great learning experience working at loram, long hrs lots of hard work, and the all the traveling you get to do seeing new places. It has been a good experience being apart of this company it's like other jobs there's ups and downs and my personal experience has been overall good. You rotate home every 8 to 12 weeks realistically. Pretty good benefits, being from the south it's a bit of a headache but not to bad. The pay is low especially the more you advance the less the money comes, and that's why I am contemplating my next move.
100 percent travel
OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  various, contant travelSeptember 27, 2017
The pair was fair for the job required of us. The hours worked became excessive. Daily travel for at least 45 minutes to work. You lived on the equipment. Being away from home constantly took its toll.
Pros
pay
Cons
never home
great place to work and see the places
Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNSeptember 24, 2017
I traveled and learned a lot from loram a lot work and hrs but a great job to be working hamel mn was the best place to be I love the work and the people around me become more than my coworkers but a family
Pros
great benifit great pay travle many places
Cons
long hrs
Summer Job for College Student. Well paid for hard work.
Operator/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNSeptember 24, 2017
Good money and good job experience but it is not an easy job. Worked there for my Sophomore to Junior summer as a Laborer/Operator and worked about 10 weeks. Worked multiple weeks with 80+ hours and 1 week was over 100 hours. If you want money and job experience this is a good job. If you want a laid back job then this is not the job for you.
Pros
Traveled to multiple states. Travel is paid for. Saved lots of money. Worked on a cool machine.
Cons
Away from home. Long and tiresome hours. Hard labor. Had to pay for food.
Tough work, tough life
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Hamel, MNSeptember 22, 2017
I signed on with the company a few years ago as a summer intern. I almost went home after the very first night. Our machine was in the middle of a dirt hole they dared to call a tunnel, and it was loud and scary. I talked myself into sticking it out and actually began to gain a sort of affinity for the work. It was such primal work that I think my inner warrior kicked in and began to crave the difficulties and obstacles. The pay was dirt and the people in the business are made from dirt as well, but it appealed to that same inner, gut-busting manliness that someone in the military must feel. The same sort of pride in your work, and in the fact that it is you that is doing it. I had a coworker who spent two shifts in the sandbox (the middle-east) and he swore Afghanistan was less grueling than what we did. I never believed him.
Pros
Manly, Travel, Primal
Cons
Underpaid, Overworked, No Benefits, Disregard of Safety, Work with grunts, Away from home yet only get paid for time spent working

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Loram Maintenance of Way. Our community is ready to answer.

Loram Maintenance of Way Reviews by Location