Loram Maintenance of Way
59Below average

Loram Maintenance of Way Employee Reviews

United States154 reviews
If you don't mind getting dirty and being away from home and want to make good money this is the perfect job. This job might be hard for some people...
This job was complete bs was treated like a slave and not a employee! You spent more money then you was saving buying your own food and having to was your clothes every week! No per dim what’s so ever! They did pay for lodging. This is not a ideal place for anyone to work if they wanna not move up or be treated like a slave.
Pros
Not worth it
Cons
Definitely not worth your sanity
We are currently only getting 55 hours a week... I like everything else about this job,. But you should know before you fly out that the company is cutting hours way back.
Management is handling the coronavirus outbreak as a joke! No information about new unemployment rules. No cleaning/disinfecting supplies for shop employees that must share tools. One employee actually got the virus and was told to contact the other employees he was around HIMSELF! Inept and immoral!
Pros
Employees are cool
Cons
Management treats shop employees like children
You travel 100% if the time. You’re away from home 8-12 weeks at a time. Any travel home outside of time off you’ll be responsible for paying for. You’re making 15 per hour starting rate but you work 60-70 a week to make your money but truthfully you’re a operator or mechanic on some machine and you’re both on some machines so if you’re both on some machines you’ll technically be getting underpaid. This a great opportunity if you’re looking to get railroad experience. My crew was some of the beat co-workers I’ve ever had. I currently work here. The jobs not hard. Benefits great. You see a lot new places.
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
Good job, great benefits, have to travel most of the time. long hours (80 plus) a week. great people, lots of learning and mentoring. people in the office don't really understand people in the field, be prepared to switch from morning to night, start time end time change constant. extreme cold and extreme heat
For me been an experience forklift operator this job would be my perfect match and like work on 2nd shift and im always productive make sure my job is done on time and properly and im always on time...
Good job for those that dont mind being away from home. Money is good. You get what you put in. Raises come very quickly. But you wont spend alot of time at home. Average paychecks are 2000 to 3000 every 2 weeks while you are out working. You can claim unemployment while on time off but it is minimal. 6weeks on 2weeks off normally. Unless it's around the end of the year.
good money lots hours , really fast paced and have to be ready for anything (weather, work..), ALOT SAFETY, mostly good crews really friendly! worst part of it is being away from 6-12 weeks possibility of more to if you have family or any other things that hold you back is really not good place!
Hard to balance family life. Great job to have. You will definitely learn great things and will definitely be tested when its time to step up. I love the guys there and the experience I've had. Still employed there but the lay off at the end of the year Because of the weather is a bummer because your not making the same money you were in the field. All in all great job though.
Long hours and a very dirty job . I actually loved the work , was grateful that I was able to go to New York City for the first time and work there. Over 5 years however , I got very little recognition for all the outstanding service I put in .
Worked out of state in northwest states for 5 years on Bnsf railroad....started at minimum pay and within 1 year became maintenance supervisor on a railgriinder,making salary and paid time off. I was able to build a great 401k by taking advantage of the 150% match
You get to see different places and travel. Plus get good overtime. There is room for advancement, plus matching 150 on the 401k. Pay for room, flights, luggage and safety boots.
Work schedule 6 weeks on 2 weeks off
Average 80 hrs week. Excellent pay !! Working with great people!! Hotel and transportation to and from work provided by employer.
The days are long 12+ hours per day 6-7 days a week, and you work in all weather conditions. However, getting to travel the world (Loram is world wide: Asia, Europe, United States) getting see and go places you've only dreamed about.
Pros
Excellent Company
Cons
Long hours and away from home for extended periods.
I do not feel obligated not have the time do complete this section at this time. Furthermore, I believe that most of these questions were addressed prior sections.
Workers are extremely mistreated and work conditions are unsafe. Supervisors are disrespectful and treat employees horrible. Company lies to employees and don't care about their employees. Very unsafe work conditions especially when supervisor doesn't even watch for trains when employees are doing maintenance. They threaten employees.
If I had started at this job 17 years ago it would have changed my entire life. Pay was decent but as a man with a wife and kids back home this job didn’t cut it for me. Too much time away from my family.
takes a certain person to want to live in motels for 5 months straight,

the work is fairly easy, management is good.

the pay is alright until a canadian is asked to work in the usa,,, exchange on all personal purchases.
I learned a lot and the hours are great to many sometimes. Wish I had more family time. I missed a lot there but overall I loved it. You have to take the good and bad with everything in life.
If your considering employment here, you may want to think twice. Listen to all the reviews below, they are all true. Only a last resort job or stepping stone employer for sure. They will use you in every way they can and then discard you on the drop of a hat. Stay clear of this place unless you have no other options!
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Loram Maintenance of Way. Our community is ready to answer.
2.2