Lord & Taylor Employee Reviews

Found 1,280 reviews matching the search See all 1,283 reviews
Positive, cooperative environment
Shipping/Receiving Manager (Current Employee) –  Salem, NHJanuary 7, 2019
A typical week would start with me unlocking and employee door and disarming security system. Sunday would start signing and marking down new sale items with LRT scanners and printers. Monday would be unloading a truck, processing and distributing new product to departments. Everyday would end with a manager meeting to discuss plans for the following day and resolve any issues from that day. Overall management are very professional and take the time to effectively teach and coach. The hardest part of my job has been to cut hours of part time workers after a busy and successful Christmas season.
Pros
Consistent work schedule, variety of work, cooperative coworkers
Cons
Limited options for raises and promotions
Great Company to work for!
Gift Card Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PAOctober 17, 2018
I greatly enjoyed working for the Lord & Taylor - Hudson's Bay company warehouse. Pay raises were very fair and based on your performance. Trainers were very knowledgeable and helpful. Management was very fair and allowed plenty of opportunities to improve and move up in the company.

Only real complaint I had was some people would take advantage of their positions (leads mostly) to get away with things that regular employees would get written up for.

Other than that, I really enjoyed working for the company! Shame I had to move.
Pros
Great environment, fair raises, lots of opportunities!
Cons
Not enough to mention
A part-time retail position that served its purpose
Retail sales - Part-time (Former Employee) –  Moorestown, NJSeptember 25, 2018
A typical day at work - counting money in register when opening and closing shift. Customer service i.e. assisting customers when necessary/opening new charge accounts for customers and checking out their merchandise when ready. Management was rather "laid back". The workplace culture was very diversified. Hardest part of the job was trying to look busy when there were no customers to take care of. Most enjoyable part of job was meeting the customers and taking care of them.
Pros
Getting discount on their merchandise
Cons
Competitiveness by co-workers even though it was not a commissioned based job
Good company to work for but you'll work hard!
Senior Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 28, 2018
I worked for this company for 8 years - began as a sales associate and left as Senior Operations Manager after being recruited by another company offering a significantly higher salary and better benefits. I was not looking for a change and would have stayed if I didn't have such a "once in a lifetime opportunity".
Pros
Decent benefits, excellent discounts!
Cons
Long hours, long days, work never ends.
Stressful and challenging, but interesting and rewarding
Visual Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYNovember 17, 2018
Not alot of work/life balance being on a management role. Worked for the company in the same role for 9 years and loved it so much. Great company to work for. Now it is run very differently. Too many chiefs, all with an opinion sitting in a corporate office and not understanding the complexity or challenges on the store level. Flexibility with my schedule and my job was very creative and I managed myself which was great, but not enough support from corporate.
ok place
Supervisor Lord and Taylor (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PASeptember 14, 2018
Although I was able to gain promotions, they don't commonly promote from within. I learned a lot from working here because of the position I was able to attain, but I can not say the same for most employees.

Work is decent but workflow varies throughout the year which creates an unsteady schedule. Some times of year you're expected to work overtime while other times they send everyone home early almost every day.

All in all, job is decent. It is easy to learn and perform. Just don't expect great compensation or benefits. This job is not suitable for a long career.
Lack of confidence in the company and it’s leadership
Shipping Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilkes-Barre, PASeptember 3, 2018
Constant change in company direction and leadership did not provide confidence. Upper level management very often made extremely poor decisions and with no concern to correct their mistakes. Often promoted unqualified people to management (good old boy system). Benefits started out OK but company chose to change to a lesser provider and benefits were terrible (more like club membership for health care)
Pros
It was a pay check
Cons
Health benefits, pay often messed up, poor leadership, lack of ownership, and good old boy attitude for promoting
Once great
Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAJuly 22, 2018
In reviewing my years at Lord & Taylor, I can only say that at one time it was a great place to work. For years I enjoyed going to work every day, and I felt secure in the knowledge that I was an asset to the company; and giving them more than their money's worth in the salary they paid me.

Unfortunately, with the downturn of brick and mortar retail, the company's management made what I consider to be very poor choices in their effort to save money.
Pros
Enjoyed the work, both merchandising and with customers
Cons
eratic scheduling
Experience was underwhelming
Shoe Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntington Station, NYJune 1, 2018
Pay was low and short hours
work environment and the culture in my department was toxic due to co-workers gossip
clientele we dealt with belligerent,ill mannered, highly disrespectful and clearly lacked social skills
management are too pushy about credit card sign ups and when you start working for them they don't give you proper training, you're basically just thrown in to learn for yourself which sucks if you have no experience working in a department store.
lack of teamwork from other associates
if you are on commission as well as being payed the hours you work you have to make your draw in order to earn it which more than half of the time you wont be able to because low traffic and returns. It will ultimately lead you into being thousands of dollars in deficit.
Pros
Weekly Pay, Free food and snacks based on spirit days, break times were good
Cons
what I basically explained above, drawing commission hurts you more than it helps
Fun workplace
Sales employee (Current Employee) –  Natick, MAOctober 18, 2018
Employees are taken care of by management. Typical day of work would be coming in counting the registers making sure nothing is missing. I learned how to communicate with people across the sales floor. The workplace culture was really friendly and supportive.
Pros
team lunches
Cons
Tough customers
New Employees were a threat!
Inventory Associate/ Float Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 14, 2019
I began as a floater but because of my school schedule, I had to stop working here. There was no teamwork. One in a bunch would be very helpful. Many of the younger staff would hang around and do a half-assed job. I'll never forget the lady who had 20+ years working here who yelled at me for placing some clothing items at the register on her area when there was no space and we had many customers waiting. She was extremely rude especially in front of our customers. I evaded working on the second floor as much as possible. Managers and sales associates weren't up to par with floaters being placed on the floor. To contact the manager one had to call to the 8th floor to then have them call the manager to come down to their floor for assistance. That was extremely annoying. Very unorganized and it sucked because I worked really hard and helped as much as possible and half the time the older associates would be very rude and emotionally attached to the registers. Sad this place is closed.
Pros
The opportunity to work
Cons
Management, unorganized!
Better if you on the floor
Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsJuly 11, 2018
If you're a sales person you have better benefits than receiving which tend to do even sales people's jobs (sucks). This guy is delusional so makes work harder. Don't want to be the guy unloading on truck days (heavy or long boxes). Benefits better for full timers
Pros
Accrued time off, location, big holidays (have food for employees)
Cons
Working in a small space close to other co workers, store closings, receiving job, no care for you if you unload truck, part time benefits
productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 27, 2018
overall a good experience, I started fitting rooms , worked as a cashier, managed sales floor and greeted customers. This company was. awesome with holding events and holiday parties that included employees.
Pros
flexible schedules, promotion within
Cons
benefits, management
Lord and Taylor was a very organized and professional place to work.
Sales Associate (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Danbury, CTMay 7, 2018
A typical day at Lord and Taylor consisted of checking inventory for security purposes and setting up the register. Assisting customers with purchases. Ringing up customers purchases. Resolving customers concerns. I learned good customer service. Professionalism and appropriate decorum in the work place. The management in my department was very informative and supportive. The workplace culture was self motivated, self reliant and independent. The hardest part of the job was the times when my department was not busy, time seems to go by slowly. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I was most busiest, helping many customers at the same time.
Pros
Learning new procedures.
Cons
It was a seasional position.
terrible place to work at
Sales Associate and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Cheektowaga, NYOctober 14, 2018
not at all worth the money or required hours that need to work. minimum of three weekends a month. no benefits, no competitive wages, barely any friendly staff.
good place to work
Commission Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Annapolis, MDOctober 8, 2018
Customer sevice is the standard.New styles and meeting people of all cultures.I enjoy one on one customer relations.Good health care benefits and human resources
Very friendly environment, learn fashion and new products
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Rockaway, NJNovember 3, 2018
•Generate sales by determining customer needs and company benefits
•Develop and maintain clientele
•Develop product knowledge by learning the merchandise features and advantages
•Impose structures and standards throughout the department to others
•Understand all systems and procedures relating to sales and credit transactions
•Enforce loss prevention and shortage control procedures
Pros
enjoy working
Cons
only commission no hourly
Not a job for the youth
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Rockaway, NJJune 27, 2018
Being young and into the fashion industry, this job was what I envisioned to be one of the tops. Except, be warned that your fee low employees here are not the ones to make friends. When it comes to making commission, the entire game becomes “cut-throat”. Also, be sure to tell management that vacation is just that- a vacation. Otherwise you will be replaced, and sooner than you may realize. Everyone is expendable.
Asset Protection Investigator
Asset Protection Investigator (Former Employee) –  Salem, NHNovember 28, 2018
Compensation was fairly low, and the corporate level failed to be an advocate to their employees. When I first started, preventing theft was doable given the policies, but after a few errors elsewhere in the company, the corporate levels implemented policies making it near impossible to have a strong impact on your shortage.
a good place for temp work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 12, 2018
The management are only around to push you in the mornings then after that you're pretty much on your own. The schedule rotates on a monthly basis so it is nice to know your schedule for a full month. Not to understanding about sudden leaves or emergencies. They don't really know what's going on behind the scenes so the reward system and who they give credit to can be way off. Please get involved in the day to day more. My sector was always pretty fast paced which was nice, so was the commission.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lord & Taylor. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Lord & Taylor.

Powered by Comparably