Lori's Gifts, Inc. Employee Reviews

I would rather die poor on the street than ever work here again
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 14, 2019
This would be a bearable place to work at if they fired everyone in charge and started from scratch. THEY DON'T LISTEN TO EMPLOYEES. AT ALL. My manager had some kind of personal vendetta against me and my other coworkers and treated us very poorly. It was very obvious that she wanted to make us leave so she could hire people that she liked, and that's exactly what happened. All of my coworkers left because of her, including me. She treated us really unfairly and I felt discriminated against, in comparison to her friends that she had hired. It's really awful, they have these sales where they would make us keep the store open until 2 am, even though the hospital basically closes at 9 pm (visiting hours are over, and the entire area is closed for cleaning). My hours were cut from 20 a week to 4 a week after an injury that I reported, and when I asked about my hours I was told that I was a bad employee, yet everyone's hours were being cut back so the new people could work basically full time.

I quit because I would actually rather die poor on the street than work for this company every again.
Fun working place
Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 12, 2019
We have really good managers and it's a fun space to work at. The hospital is really nice. My coworker are very respectful and good heartedness. I love it.
Pros
30% discount
Cons
Could pay more
I loved working at Lori's
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cheverly, MDJune 10, 2019
Lori's Gift Shop was a perfect place to meet people, talk to visitors and interact with patients. Also it was nice to see customers leave with a smile.
Stressful Work Environment with High Expectations
Human Resources Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, TXJune 5, 2019
Lori's owns and continues to grow in the hospital gift shop sphere. Their approach to offering products that appeal to various individuals is refreshing. The hardest part of the job is retaining Sales Associates and keeping motivation high. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help customers who are going through difficult times with their friend or family member being in the hospital.
Pros
Employee Discount, flexible schedules for part-time employees
Cons
Healthcare benefits are expensive, PTO is not accrued for part-time employees, and employee engagement and morale is low.
Lack of training, communication and leadership from manager & co-manager.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 2, 2019
Co-workers do whatever they want. If they don’t want to work at the register, they just don’t. Even if asked by manager or co-manager. The registers are regularly left unattended Co-workers will be on their phones in front of customers. They leave for breaks whenever they want , some log out some don’t. There is no accountability I blame this on the management . It makes it difficult for those who do have a good work ethic. Have addressed this with the manager & co-manager without seeing results.
Cons
Poor management
Not the best
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 31, 2019
We are often scolded at by the manager if we do not attempt to suggestive sell to every single customer, making the work environment awkward and tense. I do not like the company, it seems as if they only care about the money and if the goal was reached or not instead of putting more focus on the customers and the store's values. They are very money hungry, it's embarrassing.
Lori's Gifts
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJMay 31, 2019
A typical day at work is clocking in and then engaging the customers. Helping them out in finding products/merchandise. The hardest part of the job is when the customers want to buy something, they look at the price and proceed to put the object down. Management is great, they always want you to do better than the day before.
So much fun, my favorite part of the job is the interaction with patients.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Shands, Gainesville, FlMay 9, 2019
I’m having to look for other employment unfortunately because I can not survive on 9.50 an hour. I truly love what I do here, I just can’t afford to stay. I come in early, I fill in for people when asked, I do the majority of merchandising, I work very hard for such low pay, but I absolutely love working here and would give anything to be able to stay, I just can’t afford to.
Pros
People
Cons
Pay
Great experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  TexasMay 8, 2019
Working at Lori’s was my first job and it definitely helped me grow as a person! Working with all sorts of people and management was great! At first it was rough because I didn’t think they liked me and it felt very “clique” like but the store Manager was professional but aside from that I got to meet the district manger even cooperate. Super nice ladies by the way. If you are NOT a people person and have a resting mean face this job is not for you!
Pros
Discount on merchandise.
Cons
Can’t sit, and bathroom breaks are tough if your by yourself.
Livingston
Sales person (Former Employee) –  Livingston, NJMay 6, 2019
Very poor management. Regional manager and store manager are only in name only with no people skills. Very prejudice nationality wise. I do not recommend this location.
Pros
Cons
Very poor management and piecemeal training.
Growing company is getting better all the time. Compensation is not adequate
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILApril 30, 2019
At a low volume store there is a lot of down time, slow pace and little to do, can only straighten and clean so much. Nice to meet hospital regulars.
Fun
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 20, 2019
open and closed the store customer service ,phone orders and putting out stock. Daily task are checking out the customers mainly stuff of the hospital and helping customer with picking out product for new born babies
Not the best place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 10, 2019
Here’s the thing: everyone who works at this company is so money hungry. We are constantly yelled at and told to push sales and they really emphasize “suggestive selling” which basically means asking people to buy stuff. We are scolded if we do not meet the daily sales goal even when the amount is a ridiculous amount. The manager at my location loves to humiliate employees and yell at them in front of customers when they are doing nothing wrong and I’ve gotten complaints and comments about my manager from the hospital staff and coworkers. I think it depends on who you’re working for but this was a big no for me.
Very good place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Maywood, ILApril 9, 2019
I can say so much about this place only down side is you literally get paid minimum wage. The coworkers are very friendly and helpful. I actually felt like apart of something there and even the hospital workers were very friendly.
Great part-time
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 5, 2019
It's a good part-time for college students/highschool students.
You are allowed to volunteer (paid) at other locations for extra hours !
It's great to build within the company !
Pros
Discounts; Networking; Can Grow Within The Company
Cons
Not many hours
It was fun something productive.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  IllinoisMarch 23, 2019
Very unprofessional and disrespect on management learn respect , all about looking good and
Fronting . Two people work in day and one at night with plenty work for two peoples
Pros
Meeting new customers
Cons
Short breaks
March 29, 2019

This is disappointing to see - we hope that you had the opportunity to share your frustrations with your District Managers or HR. We are here to help and hate to see you did not have a positive experience working here as this is not the norm.

Should have a better plan for new store opening
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PAMarch 18, 2019
I work at a Lori's Gifts that was a brand new store opening in my area. My friend was hired as a manager there. She went to a two-week training, but I feel she needs more elaboration on certain responsibilities within the company that she is supposed to manage. She is very upset that she isn't given guidance, even after repeatedly telling corporate to input certain vendors into their system so she can get them paid. It falls on deaf ears. There are lots of moving parts for her, and she doesn't get much clarification or guidance. I love working with her, for her and for this company, but they are not treating her fairly. I'm not saying it's all the company's fault, some is her fault, but she is beyond stressed right now.
Pros
Discount, flexible work schedules
Cons
Being expected to do management duties and not be paid management wages
March 29, 2019

Please discuss this with HR or the DM - we are working on new ways to improve our store openings and trainings to make sure we cover everything during the onboarding phase and beyond. Thanks for your concerns.

Exceptional company to work for!
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 14, 2019
As a manager I loved my job and unfortunately left due to relocation with my spouse. I would open the shop at 7:00 and do morning company errands, have a lovely lunch break, and left the store to be closed with a trusted key holder. The most enjoyable part of the job was the clarity from management and corporate, the clear expectations made every day enjoyable and the independence for executive decision was always backed up from the company. The hardest part was leaving!
Pros
Discounts, discount lunches, good lunch breaks, flexible hours, benefits.
Cons
healthcare
March 29, 2019

Thanks for your comment! We are so glad you have a great experience with us and hope that if there is a Lori's Gifts wherever you relocate to, you consider working for us again! #Love2WorkHere

Horrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARMarch 8, 2019
Horrible management, to much drama. Management saying other employees business with other employers. Not helping the employees when we have a problem.
March 29, 2019

We hate to see comments like this, as this is definitely not the norm. We hope you addressed your concerns either with a DM, RM, or HR. We are always here for all of our employees and unfortunate that you had a bad experience. Best of luck in your next career.

Don’t waste your time.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesMarch 4, 2019
Management is terrible. Wages are low. Even managers salaries are below living wage. They expect you to dedicate your whole life to the company for next to nothing. Terrible hours. Nightmare company.
Pros
Cons
No appreciation for the work you do. Terrible hours. Poverty wages.
March 29, 2019

As a current employee, we would hope you address your concerns with your management or HR. Our wages, as we just recently did salary banding throughout the company, have now been changed to reflect current market rates based on where you live. We believe in work/life balance and at times, we may need for others to step up to help others. We think many will find our hours of operation to be much better than most retailers as we aren't open late nights or late weekends and it helps to support a better work/life balance. Please address your concerns with us so we can find out the source of your problem.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lori's Gifts, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.2InHerSight Score

1.8Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

1.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight