Lorna Jane Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Dead end job with terrible management
Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAJuly 10, 2018
A typical day consisted of mundane activities especially when working with other managers. At this location, the assistant and store managers took control of everything and gave other associates/managers zero control over anything that was considered "shared" duties. When issues arise in store with associates, don't expect to be greeted with a warm welcome. Management is awful all the way up to the district managers.
Pros
Cons
Unprofessional, terrible management, terrible hours especially if you are new, no respect for fellow employees, lots of gossip, no room to grow
Productive place to work where coaching is available to help you advance
ASM/ Shop Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 29, 2018
Lorna Jane is an amazing company where one can advance their career up to a store manager. Getting into corporate is a little harder, however, it is a company that values their employees and pushes them to be better. There is coaching readily available. I learned a lot in my positon, especially how to better manage a team, how to help team members better themselves through coaching, marketing values and more. The best part of this job is the opportunities to be apart of the marketing campaigns and community outreach!
Pros
benefits, salary, opportunities in your development
Cons
short staffing happens a lot - turnover every few months/weeks
An absolute alarming experience
Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJanuary 28, 2018
This company has so many issues. I thought going into it, as most people did, it was going to be wonderful and an experience to boost my resume. Wrong. Mostly head office, Lorna herself and her husband, the "CEO" are awful people.
Lorna Jane
Senior Human Resources Business Partner (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CADecember 18, 2017
I started my career with Lorna Jane in the retail field and have been promoted into a home office position. I have been with the Company for over 5 years and have seen the Company go through many changes.

Each team member is responsible for their own results. We are expected to work hard and do whatever it takes to get the job done, but in the end it is all worth it. I enjoy supporting the home office and retail fields.

As a retail Company, sales are a main focus. After all, if we didn't have customers we wouldn't have a job; right? The retail teams drive sales through brick a mortar and by collaborating with other like minded Companies to hold external trunk shows.

The Company offers health care benefits, vacation, and paid holidays for all full time employees. The longer you are employed with the Company, the more vacation you accrue. The retail teams earn bonuses for large sales and managers have a commission structure. All employees receive a employee discount.
Pros
wearing active wear to work, affordable health benefits
Cons
long working hours, bonus structure only for retail teams
Fun clothes, horrible management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 11, 2017
This company has no idea how to keep employees if their lives depended on it. Worst discount I've ever had in retail. If you don't make the day, you're screamed at by upper management. The company cannot train anyone and has no clue where it wants to go. Gives no refunds to customers, therefore you're met with screaming from customers every day. No advancement, even with almost no employees. They wouldn't fire you or else they wouldn't have anyone left. Working most days alone, open to close.
Pros
slight discount of 30%
Cons
no advancement, no love for the brand, rudeness
Not a Pro-female culture/Bullying
Full time Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 30, 2017
I haven't the words for a review. A typical day was being pushed beyond reasonable measure to make Lorna Jane the "rich and famous" woman she is today. According to her 60 Minutes interview.
Pros
Some of the girls were amazing young women.
Cons
Brutal bullying culture. No work/life balance.
Great people but they do not know how to run the business in the US
Management (Current Employee) –  USANovember 25, 2017
Lorna Jane is an Australian company that does not understand how to operate in the US. Upper Management starting with the CEO believes in bullying employees instead of motivating to get results.
Pros
You get to wrk with an amazing group of women.
Cons
Overworked, underappreciated and you are unable to have a balanced work life.
Poor Management, lack of team morale
Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  TXAugust 25, 2017
Poor management, lacks team stability. Position was not fulfilling, workplace culture is not representative of company philosophy. The 29 hours published is false, realistically it's 10-15 per week.
Great place to work at, especially, if interested in the active/workout community.
Assistant Shop Manager/Shop Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 24, 2017
Typical day at work is reading emails, and conducting opening procedures, then moving on with the rest of the business day. Management is interesting, and is more on a one on one, personal level. I learned a lot about developing social skills, and the importance of building and maintaining the work relationships I had with clients, vendors/owners, trainers, etc, and at how it greatly impacted the perception of the brand, especially since the brand is fairly new to the Bay Area. I was able to take a lot of what I have learned here, and apply them to other social relationships, - professional or personal, - and build upon them to improve, or further, myself. Hardest part of the job was getting used to a tremendous amount of downtime, meaning that I would be able to finish tasks that would be one day tasks, in a matter of a couple of hours, and have nothing to do, and this would also be after I have updated paperwork, checked up on clients, etc. I have spent 7+ years with bigger corporate companies, where everything is fast-paced, and so having a lot of downtime was a difficult adjustment, but one that I eventually adjusted to. Most enjoyable part of the job is really spreading the brand philosophy of "Move, Nourish, and Believe," and getting to see how it greatly impacted the clients, and people in the active community, tremendously, and hearing their stories of getting where they were, to where they are now, and really living out their true passions.
Pros
A lot of personal one on one with vendors, trainers, owners, and clients.
Cons
Small group of staff.
Wonderful Brand
National Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJune 27, 2017
Working for Lorna Jane was a wonderful experience were I learned a lot of useful skills of being an entrepreneur. I loved the mind set of the brand and the history behind the owner.
Pros
Encouraged to live a healthy lifestyle
Cons
Constant Operational Change
Fun at first but being a supervisor here was not that great. The store was ran only by management and it was so hard to deal with.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CADecember 16, 2016
I was a supervisor here and my hrs were really low. This is a good place if you just want 10hrs a week or less. One thing for sure it that management is horrible! Very unorganized. The opener had to close the doors to lunch and it was such a hassle, specially with the customers. A very high theft store and people who would take things would harass you.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
New Manager is a nightmare. Breaks aren't given at all, except lunches.
New Company with a lot of Problems
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 8, 2016
New Company to the US with a lot of issues with general business practices. A lot of confusion about roles in upper management, communication problems, expectation confusion, sales incentive confusion, little store level support from upper management, horrible stock control, IT problems with little support from an australian based IT company, maintenance issues with stores that get overlooked and ignored, quality control problems with garments, corporate customer service issues, etc.
Pros
Positive People
Cons
So many
Supportive, fun and happy work enviornment!
Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJuly 6, 2016
Working at Lorna Jane was the best job I've ever experienced. It was a very uplifting place to work!
Pros
Helpful managers, positive atmosphere
Cons
Computer systems would always shut down.
Growing Company
Assistant Manger (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CaJuly 12, 2015
A typical day would consist of operations to enhance sale performance for the day such as change of mannequins, promotional signs and touching base with clients of new offers.

I learned new techniques to selling approaches and to use active listening to acquire the customer's wants and needs.

Management in my current location is fantastic!
And co-workers are very supportive.

Hardest aspect of the job was the inconsistency of support from higher management.

Most enjoyable part is the opportunity to support the philosophy of an active lifestyle and meet the most motivated individuals!
Incredible brand, horrible US corporate management team.
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 29, 2015
I love the brand and everything Lorna Jane stands for, but have been really disappointed with my district leader and corporate management team when it comes to giving their sales team support.
Poor upper management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAFebruary 27, 2015
They hire you under the guise you're joining this amazing, "sisterhood," and promise you rapid career growth. The truth is unless you're one of the Australians, you're overworked, under appreciated, underpaid, and your job isn't secure.
Rocking amazing active wear!
Active Stylist (Former Employee) –  Arcadia, CASeptember 20, 2014
Working a typical day at Lorna Jane can be hit or miss. It's a higher end active wear brand so people who shop here are very serious about their workouts or are starting up all over again. I've truly learned a lot not only from learning how to work in a higher end company but even down to the basics such as opening and closing a till. The management here is a bit shaky because it is a company that just came to the US (originally from Australia). There are plenty of changes happening all the time and there's always new people coming and going so it's not completely stable in my opinion. My co-workers were all amazing, of course, there were times where we all wouldn't see eye to eye but overall they are amazing ladies. The hardest part of the job is when the day is going slow and you're down on target not only for yourself but for the store as well. The most enjoyable part of the job is just being able to help your client (majority women) become comfortable and confident in their own skin. Getting to create not only a clientele but creating a friendship with the client as well.
awesome customers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Valencia, CAAugust 3, 2014
great place to work and meet amazing customers
learned to work with many different types of personalities
manage a group of girls
Pros
awesome product sold
Strong company culture
Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJuly 29, 2014
High energy work place. Walk in and the music is pumping and you are ready to sell the next line of the Lorna Jane active wear
Talking to people about personal fitness, health, and nutrition.
Good energy but disorganized
2IC (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 29, 2014
Lorna Jane has a really strong message for women. It is empowering and really encourages you to be the best you can be. It inspires women to live and eat healthy and believe in themselves. The clothes are fun and interesting. It is easy to want to constantly shop. So many new styles come out so frequently that getting shipment is not a chore, it's really fun to process it.

The corporate structure is rather a mess. They are undergoing a lot of change to 'Americanize' the way that business is done. With 1/2 Australians running it and 1/2 U.S. it makes it hard to know what direction they are headed in. With all the revamping no one really knows any answers to anything. It's hard to push forward when everything is in limbo. I'm sure these problems will be fixed, however, when looking for support from H.O. it is hard to get a direct answer. They don't hire within and it seems like they are only getting people who worked for GAP to be in charge so, if you have worked for GAP in the past, you will probably get along with the people who are taking over. There is no real advancement plan for any employee either, which is not motivational either.

The benefits in the job are sub-par at best. You get 50% off the clothes which makes each article anywhere from $35-$90 for an employee. There are only 6 paid holidays and there is no structure for advancement. If you sell $500 or more to a customer, you get an additional $20 in your paycheck. The health care is not bad but could get much better. There are very few other benefits that come with this job. You get your standard 2 weeks
  more... vacation and sick days. Pretty much there is very low incentive on the perk side of working here, it's very standard.  less
Pros
good message for women, empowering, fun clothing
Cons
no perks, disorganized home office, no advancement plan

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lorna Jane. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

1.7InHerSight Score

1.4Personal Development

2.3Career Opportunities

1.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight