Los Alamitos Unified School District Employee Reviews

Productive and ways to advance.
Instructional Assistant Substitute (Current Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAMarch 17, 2019
Great district if you can get full-time employment. My job was part-time and a lot of classifications are that. I liked the people I worked with a lot. Would recommend.
fun work inviroment
STUDENT WORKER- CAFETERIA (Current Employee) –  school cafeteriaFebruary 20, 2019
working at losal showed me what it means to truly be happy to where to others needs. The students are very polite and when I get a new job I will hope that I amass happy doing it as I am at this job.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
only 30 min job
Excellent Education Environment
Exec Secretary to Dir. Instruction & Curriculum (Former Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAJanuary 16, 2019
Exciting work environment interacting daily with all levels of district management and teaching staff, as well as parents and children. Every day held new challenges to meet and complete. Collaborative and supportive educational culture throughout all 10 schools and the District Office. Most enjoyable features were resolving problems which had positive impact on the district and systems. Hardest part of the job was resisting the donuts available every morning!
Pros
Collaborative work culture, free donuts & coffee
Great district
Extended Day Care Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAJuly 7, 2018
This district has a great atmosphere. It is truly a team effort to make it a great place to work.
Sometimes it can be difficult but there is always an effort to improve though it may take time, the effort is always there.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Can be stressful at times
Campus Supervisor Substitute/Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CA 90720June 18, 2018
On Call all the time, great opportunity to network with other staff to get more jobs. Subs dont get paid as much but they do have a flexible hours and get paid well enough.
Los Al Unified
Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAMay 19, 2018
Great place to get experience in the public school setting. The district is very well organized and the people who work at the school are very supportive.
Great place to work with friendly people. Possibility od advancement depending on job classification.
Playground Supv & Instructional Assistant-Sp Ed (Current Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAMay 4, 2018
The Los Alamitos School District is a great place to work. Since it is a school district non-certificated staff are represented by a merit-system. It can be a lengthy process because you have to test, get interviewed, then go through a second interview process.

There many job classifications so you can be put on several eligibility lists at thee same time. Some positions require that you go through the testing process twice a year, but usually, it is only once a year.
Pros
Nice people
Los Al is like family
Administrative Assistant I (Former Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAApril 11, 2018
The District became like a second family to me (the staff, the teachers, the families). There were many good people throughout the organization that shared the same goals and visions. Awesome district in a great community.
EDCC ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAMarch 24, 2018
Everyone is amiable, and it is a very encouraging environment. The staff supports one another, and the goal is to help the students succeed. Los Alamitos Unified School District is a great district to work for, and I highly recommend working for them.
Great District
FOOD SERVICES ASSISTANT III (Current Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAMarch 1, 2018
Excellent place to work, great benefits and good pay. Simple tasks but great responsibility working with kids. Great area and school district overall.
Instructional Assistant Special Education (Current Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CA 90720September 27, 2017
The Los Alamitos School District is a great place to work. The community is highly involved in the function of the school. The socioeconomic landscape in Los Al allows for a great school community relationship.
Pros
Great community.
Cons
Not enough hours
great school district
teacher aide (Former Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAJuly 19, 2017
A great school district to work for, the teachers and staff are friendly and willing to help. I learned so much while working with the teachers in this district and they have a great special ed program.
substitute teacher
Long-Term and Regular Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAJune 15, 2017
I enjoy being with the students and being a positive influence for them. I would really like to get back into full time teaching position but it's nearly impossible in this district at this point
Exciting Place
Cafeteria Worker (Former Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAMay 26, 2017
It was a nice workplace culture because everything you would need to do your job was close and convenient. A typical day at work was serving your fellow students and staff members of the school.
Fun
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAMay 14, 2017
Super fun people to work with. Lots of support from the company. Not many hours, around 2 a day. The kids are fun and its a positive environment and super flexible.
Good for college students who need to get by
Extended Daycare Assistant (Current Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAMay 1, 2017
This job is decent because you make more than minimum wage. Hours are by seniority. 10 hours a week is typical. Kids make it worth it. The job is very easy in my opinion because you are doing crafts and activities with kids for roughly 3 hours or less a day.
Great students but the district office and administrators don't support teachers
English Literature Instructor (Former Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAOctober 15, 2015
Overall, I lasted 10 years. the last 2 years killed me. Administrators caved in to the district office every time. Teachers were constantly battling and/or changing the direction of the curriculum as a result.
The district that gives students first priority
Logistics Agent (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 10, 2014
During a typical day I might assist elementary students with computer projects, help a sick student feel a little more comfortable, provide payroll, attendance, budget reports to the principal and vice principal, and announce news over the public address system.

Working in this school district in any capacity has been a pleasure. From the students to the staff and administration, my experience has been positive.

I've learned how the educational system in this city works, how the highest priority is placed on the well being of the students and that each student is important; their future is our future.

Some days the hardest part of the job is at the end of the day, when the kids say good bye--substituting can mean you won't see them again for awhile. The best part of the job is when the students remember me and are happy to see me again.

This is a district where anyone would be happy to work.
very nice school district
Instructional Aide Special Education (Current Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAJuly 6, 2014
as a substitute instructional aide in special Ed. the days can vary greatly.
While some classes have students that can be aggressive or violent, others don't and days can be really fun and rewarding.
Pros
short days, can turn down work or pick up according to your schedule
Cons
no full time work, no benefits
Excellent Learning Environment
School Counseling Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Alamitos, CAJuly 1, 2013
At Los Alamitos High School, Implemented lesson plans, conducted guidance lessons pertaining to career choice and college curriculum, followed district requirements and mandates, and organized and supervised the transition work program for special education classrooms. This was a strong team of educational professionals who devoted all of their time and energy to providing students with a top tier education. A strong team equals exceptional results.