Los Alamos National Laboratory Employee Reviews

Terrible culture
Cultural Resources (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMFebruary 9, 2019
Even though they pay well, the place is a revolving door. At four years, I am one of the most senior employees on my team. Management seems love to create drama.
Pros
Great pay, beautiful location
Cons
Poor management, toxic environment
Instrumentation and calibration Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJanuary 25, 2019
Work as an intern there I really loved working there people was great learned a lot very challenging would recommend that this is a great place to work
Nice people, great work experience
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  New MexicoJanuary 2, 2019
It was a summer internship, the work was interesting. The people were friendly and the lab had a welcoming atmosphere. Be careful if commuting as there are few ways up to the lab and traffic can add hours a week to a commute.
Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 29, 2018
Great place to work. The laboratory performs cutting edge science that truly makes a difference in our Nation's security, environmental health and medical advances.
Wonderful Opportunity
Design-Engineering Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 3, 2018
During my internship at LANL I was able to attend student symposiums to learn about cutting edge research. I also love how the laboratory gives its students hands on experience while allowing them to work around their busy schedules.
Pros
fun, interesting
Cons
stressful at times
Risk Mangement/Project Controls
Risk Management/Project Control Engineer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 31, 2018
A typical day at work is very busy with having multiple task at hand. Within just in project controls there were often changing priorities and deadlines which I enjoyed the most.
Great place for students
Space Data Science and Systems Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMOctober 27, 2018
Hard to find a summer student position unless you know someone who works in the lab. Great work environment in the summer, many career building opportunities and interesting lectures to attend in addition to your work.
Good place to work in.
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMOctober 16, 2018
Work was challenging, always issues to solve. Some days more than others. The paper work sometimes annoying but bearable. Always had colleagues willing to help achieve the right solution for any given problem.

When on call getting up in the wee hours of the night was sometimes difficult but the extra pay made up for it.

Worked with little supervision and allowed to solve problems in a prescribed manner.
Pros
Good benefits.
Great benefits and terrible culture
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMOctober 12, 2018
I'm typically given a fair amount of freedom to explore, learn, and use the tools and methods I want to use. But I can't rely on anyone outside of my small team for much. LANL is filled with soon to be retiree's and people just looking for a paycheck. Division of labor insures you will be dealing with completely incompetent people on a regular basis.
Pros
401k matching, Healthcare, Autonomy
Cons
Terrible culture, Incompetent colleagues
Amazing collection of brilliant minds and dedicated workers
Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMOctober 5, 2018
LANL continues to innovate technology to meet the security and tech needs of the nation. Even with the changes in management over the years, the workforce continues to be as rarified as ever, producing incredible advances in science and technology on a continuous basis.
Pros
Super-smart colleagues
Is a mixed bag
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMOctober 1, 2018
Like in any other organization, there are good managers and not so good manager. Some organizations were flexible with job schedules, others were not.
Intense but productive workplace. Culture of learning.
Postdoctoral Research Associate, T-3/MST-8 (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMSeptember 23, 2018
Great place to work, get to learn new things everyday. However, work can be fast-paced and sometimes stressful. Sometimes rules, traveling for conference etc. can get tedious with the paperwork.
Great experience
Administrative Secretary (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMAugust 22, 2018
I worked for the Nuclear Reactor Safety Group. It was a great experience working with all of the Scientists and foreign dignitaries. I would recommend this job to anyone.
Pros
Good experience
Cons
Mileage to work
Interesting place to work
Staff Member (Technical) (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJuly 31, 2018
My experience here was in the 1980s so I can't tell you about the current culture there now. It was run by UC in the 80s. There is some very interesting science and technology happening here. If you're looking to work here, see if you can find some current employees.
Productive place to work
Geophysics Intern (Former Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMJuly 24, 2018
This is a great place to work.You will come across many sound minds who will continually arouse your curiosity. There is so much diversity in the work place.
Excellent place for scientific research
Postdoctoral Researcher (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJune 13, 2018
LANL was a fantastic place to work as a post-doc.
I was able to learn and collaborate with some of the best scientists of the world here.
The pay was high for a postdoc if you compare with an academic post-doc, but not as high as an industrial postdoc.
The working hours were nice, you could opt for 9-80 schedule, which meant you could take every other Friday off.
Los Alamos is very remote though, and the nearest large airport, Albuquerque is ~100 miles away.
There are no metropolitan creature comforts, although plenty of options for outdoor pleasures, like hiking, skiing, biking etc.
It was an experience that provided a lot of technological knowledge.
IT INTERN (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJune 6, 2018
In a typical day during the internship, I would visit other departments to gain knowledge of HVAC systems. I would then sit at a computer designing a network diagram.
Fantastic people and technology
Computer Systems Professional (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMMay 29, 2018
I worked at LANL for more than 15 years and aside from having great colleagues, I got to support and build some very advanced systems. World class science indeed.
Postdoctoral Associate (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMMay 14, 2018
Great work environment, great salary, fantastic management and workplace culture. Interesting projects. Learned many new characterization methods and analytical tool.
Great work place
Supervisor Assistant/ Roads & Grounds/HEO (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMMay 9, 2018
Great Work place, great people to work with, all in all a good place with great pay amd benifets. Good environment, fun, loved my job!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Los Alamos National Laboratory. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2

Women's ratings

4.5Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss