Los Alamos National Laboratory Employee Reviews

good
Weapon Systems Mechanical Engineering Technologist (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMFebruary 8, 2018
work days are good
learned a lot
managnent is helpful
hardest part -area
enjoyed learning
many would benefit from this job
good job take if i if you can get it
A nice location but management leaves much to be desired.
Senior Systems Architect (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMFebruary 6, 2018
A nice place to work, location wise, but it's government work, so there's not much opportunity for career advancement. Los Alamos management leaves much to be desired.
great place to do a phd
Graduate Researcher (Former Employee) –  los alamosFebruary 5, 2018
There is a lot of support at Los Alamos National Laboratory for graduate students, students, and post docs. Being converted is difficult, but the experience is worth the relocation.
Graduate Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMFebruary 1, 2018
I loved my boss a lot and I felt that my division was always encouraging me to be a better version of myself and grow my strengths. Downside is that Los Alamos is a super lame town. If you are late career with a family, it is a great place. If you're young, the job is great but everything past 5pm is boring.
Pros
The Job
Cons
Where the job is
great place to work
Subcontract Tech Representative/Proc. Engr (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJanuary 19, 2018
Pro: great place to work. No free lunch. But I bring mine, I can afford it. I wish I had more to say about it. I wish I could tell you more about working at this company in my Review
Cons: No free lunch
Low Pressure
Oracle Applications Developer (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJanuary 8, 2018
40 hr weeks. Management is supportive. I am a consultant here, not an employee so cannot comment on the review and growth aspects. I was brought in to do a contract and did it.
Nice place
Postdoctoral fellow (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMJanuary 3, 2018
Isolated lab. Not a lot of places to eat. Parking is difficult, but the work is interesting. Pretty scenery, lots of different kinds of jobs available, about 45 minutes from Santa Fe.
Pros
Nice place, very pretty.
Cons
Isolated
Good people great work. Unfortunate local economy.
Research Technician III (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMDecember 21, 2017
I truly enjoy working here. But with that said, the money paid to non-scientists or non-post docs is woefully inadequate to keep up with the local economy if you have a family to take care of.

The team I work with is wonderful and I am very happy to have been trained by such skilled and friendly individuals.

Like I said it is a job I would hate to ever have to leave, but the local economy makes it hard to stay as a technician with a family and no roots to the area.

I highly recommend this job to anyone with a different situation than mine.
Pros
Benefits are great. People are awesome to work with.
Cons
Local economy is adjusted to higher salaries.
It is wonderful
Radiation Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMDecember 18, 2017
LANL provides a wonderful environment. Everyone goes home at the end of the day feeling that they are a valued employee. Everyone enjoys working for the government.
Pros
It is a wonderful job
Cons
Technically and paperwork challenging.
Technical Project Manager 2 (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMDecember 8, 2017
Most enjoyable is working with suppliers from pricing to specifications and negotiations of terms and deliverables. Culture is more difficult at LANL.
Wonderful learning experience
Physics Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 27, 2017
As an intern, I was basically paid to learn about the physics behind what happens at the isotope production facility, then I was put in charge of a significant portion of a future radiation experiment. My mentor, Jon, was incredible and taught me a lot.
Pros
alternating 3-day weekends, great learning environment
Cons
non
Professional and result orientated, focus on personnel safety and adherence to policies and regulatory guidelines.
Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 22, 2017
Overall exceptional group of Management and Craft to work with. Atmosphere conducive to achieving top quality results. Would go back to this location and work.
Depends on what Division you are in.....
Accelerator Operator, DARHT Axis I & Axis II (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 21, 2017
Depending on which Division you are working for, and what style the current manager "runs his/her ship" (Division &Group Leader) will dictate if you are able to take advantage of the MANY educational side-bars at the Lab. Offered during work hours, and on Lab property, there are groups meeting, fairs being held, women's/men's organizations, and/or Safety and Security Teams solving issues. But if your management is such that they do not allow you the time away from your normal work duties, you will find it impossible to get involved.

Also, remote site's are somewhat prohibitive of going to town and grabbing lunch.
Cons
30 minute lunch break
Cut throat work culture
GIS Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 17, 2017
The specific group I worked in was a very cut throat work culture. There was no defined job description when I was brought on board. My supervisor couldn't describe my tasks or expectations. When I'd go ask what I could work on, he'd tell me that he didn't assign tasks. Then I was told I wasn't doing enough work. Outside of the specific group that I worked in, everyone was very professional and courteous. I think it's just this specific group.
Pros
Excellent salary and benefits
Cons
poor management and no defined tasks
Awesome
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 16, 2017
The environment was fun and the people were nice enough. There was a transit/trolley system through the town that connected everything from the lab to the grocery store. Yummy cafeteria on site though. Best burritos!
Fun secure and balanced work
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 7, 2017
Safety was the biggest concern I never worked to hard and learned a lot about safety management was every where and sometimes made it a slow day but we always worked safe I enjoyed my co-workers and bosses.
Not a good fit for young ambitious professionals
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 5, 2017
A job at the labs means security and good pay, however the slow-paced environment is often demotivating. Projects have a tendency to stall for a long period and then demand completion in a short amount of time. Management seems more focused on profit rather than providing a nice place for their employees to work, infrastructure is abysmal and the town of Los Alamos leaves something to be desired for young people.
Many opportunities within LANL to work on various projects.
R&D Engineer 4 (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMNovember 2, 2017
I've worked on many projects involving cutting edge technology and techniques that can only succeed in an R&D environment such as that provided at LANL.
Emergency response Training coordinator (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMOctober 25, 2017
As an example of how well liked this work environment is there are people who have been working here for 30 plus years who have not retired because they WANT to keep working.
Los alamos national laboratory
Retired Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Los Alamos, NMOctober 2, 2017
Los alamos national laboratory was my career for 30 years. I was able to complete a bachelors and masters degree while employed. I began as a technician and retired as a manager/staff member. Los alamos nm is the best place to live in this world. Employees receive a 5 week a year vacation. They also receive 3 weeks a year sick leave. I enjoyed the best managers and opportunities available anywhere!!!
Pros
Travel, Education, Advancement, Compensation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Los Alamos National Laboratory. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2