Los Angeles Community Hospital

Los Angeles Community Hospital Employee Reviews

Great place to learn as a new grad. Other nurses are willing to help and train. However, pay and benefits for this place can be better. There is a lot of registry and traveler nurses at this place.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Pay
It’s a small community hospital just like the name says. They definitely play favoritism and still allow nepotism. If you are part of the in crowd you advance pretty rapidly but if you’re not it will take much time and patience to get to advance. The upper management does not care for their employees, only their staffing ratios. It’s a hectic busy day almost everyday and they lack proper training because of the staffing issues.
Pros
Free lunches during crisis, great co-workers
Cons
Pay, training, workload, favoritism
N/A I do not wish to provide details about my current employer . They hire a lot of new grad staff and use a lot of registry staff. Good place to start your career
The patient population is heavily homeless, mentally ill, non compliant. Four or 2 patients to a room, it gets crowded and messy very quickly. Management is not looking over your shoulder every minute, pros and cons about that. Equipment such as the scanners, the documentation system, the supplies are frequently not working or unavailable, neighborhood in pretty awful.
Block scheduling Few doctors in the hospital at night, most admissions are done by calling the MD's. You receive basic order to survive the night. The hospital is focused on making the patients happy. Few support to staff, and they are always hiring new grads because the RN turnover is frequent.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
They keep cutting me short on my check. Always understaffed. Some coworkers are good and nice, a majority will get you in trouble for nothing. Was hoping i would have a good experience overall but nope. Coworkers that are supposed to take over for you when youre a sitter, they don't do it. You wont get breaks or lunch until later on towards end of shift. Always miscommunication between Nursing Administrators.
Good place to learn if you are a new grad RN. Co workers for the most part are helpful and friendly. Pay is OK. There is a high turnover here due to better benefits, opportunities and pay else where.
Pros
Good environment to work/learn.
Cons
Pay is OK, similar to most new grad rn pay. Hard to get a hold of some Doctors at night.
I had a great time working here as a student nurse. I learned a lot from my assigned nurse and feel that I benefited greatly from the time I spent in this facility.
I enjoyed working for this company everyone worked as a team supportive of each other. Flexible schedule o recommended anyone who’s looking for a great career to work for Los Angeles community Hospital.
They (HR) don't know the difference between shift differential and over time - know your laws and litigate accordingly. Employees are being used and blind folded. Please check your paychecks.
Pros
Good individuals, strong And passionate Workers
Cons
Misguided management and leaders who are in positions they are not experienced for
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Los Angeles Community Hospital?
Housekeepers came and went regularly. The director was great but managers could never get on the same sheet of music. Training varied from one manager to the next. However, the director was willing to train anyone who didn't feel comfortable with their training. He would also come in on his days off to help when short staffed.
Super busy units with many psych patients that take up a lot of your time, easily making you fall behind schedule. Lucky if you get a good charge nurse that offers to help when you're overwhelmed.
Learned a lot working here, a lot of new hires are new nurses. a learning hospital because its in the ghetto. the employees are helpful and nice at times depending on the team you work in. the resources in this hospital are 3 stars only because central hardly ever restocks supplies, at times I have to call supervisor. the management do their best but honestly will not recognize night shift. they always give recognition to morning shift but never to nights. nights are the most busy and nurses are never recognized. when you use your PTO's you better monitor your checks because they sometimes don't pay you! other than that this hospital is quite decent...not amazing but just decent. hospitals like this you have to appreciate because once you get into a bigger hospital you will realize a lot of drastic changes.
I learned how to manage what seemed like unmanageable situations. I also learned how to manage care for 5 patients while helping my coworkers and teaching students.
Pros
Day shifts
Cons
No MDs on staff
Los Angeles Community Hospital was a tough and challenging position however many rewards came with the job like paid vacation, benefits, a 401k and more. Managment's structure needed work but the office was one I was able to learn and thrive in.
I worked 1st in sub-acute unit when started and then to tele, unit 3 and peds . which I didn't mind cause I learned a lot but when new management came I was without a job and I try to come back but I must say it was hard because I found out that they only want new faces not faces that have worked before here. severe times that I apply I got called twice and got rejected.
Pros
friendly staff and nurses
Cons
some of the staff
Great place to learn as a new grad, limited resources, but helps you utilize the resources you DO have. Staff is very friendly and willing to help, but no support from upper management.
Seems to just do the minimum to survive. Over staffed with registry. Seems to run good employees away with bad managers and directors. The good managers are not recognized or appreciated. Neither is the good staff. Needs better administrative management.
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Not appreciated. Poor Care
Working at LA community hospital has its ups and downs. It is a very busy work environment. For a smaller hospital we have many patients. It is a great learning experience here.
I enjoyed working here and learned a lot of things. Although it's the biggest or greatest hospital in LA but I can say that the nurses here and the other employees are trying their best to provide the best care possible that they can offer in the Hospital. Needs a lot of Improvement but it is not that bad
No funding to comply with basic safety standards. Repairs without permits-trying to fool the inspectors. Cafeteria dismal. Location dismal. Not enough parking.
Pros
Free Lunches.
Cons
Hospital smelled bad.