Los Angeles Community Hospital

Los Angeles Community Hospital Employee Reviews

United States34 reviews
Place to gain experience
Block scheduling
Few doctors in the hospital at night, most admissions are done by calling the MD's. You receive basic order to survive the night. The hospital is focused on making the patients happy. Few support to staff, and they are always hiring new grads because the RN turnover is frequent.
Good place to learn
A typical day at work began at 7pm, workplace environment was busy at times with multiple admissions to Medsurg /Tele floor each night.The hardest part of the job is that MD was not readily available at times at night. One has to to have excellent nursing judgement and critical thinking skills in order to ensure continued patient safe environment and care following Md written protocols. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I learnt something new every day and I met lots of great nursing staff members.
Fast paced workplace
It is a very fast paced work environment with much diversity. Must be culturally competent and willing to learn. Hardest part about the job is not enough resources. Best part are coworkers and patients.
High acuity of patients, but good learning enviroment
The patients at Los Angeles Community Hospital are high acuity. However, despite of the acuity of the patients, it is a good learning environment. This is were I start my Nursing and career, and I learned a lot working in this hospital.
Pros
Good learning enviroment
Cons
High acuity of patients
Not much to like about this place
A lot of people that work there need to be more educated in their profession. Employees there get away with too many things that wouldn't fly at other hospitals. Only a handful of staff members maintain professionalism.
Your experience matters.
Help out others considering your employer. Rate your employer.
Acute Care Hospital
I help patients accomplish treatment plan and support life by administering inhalants; operating mechanical ventilators, therapeutic gas administration apparatus, environmental control systems, and aerosol generators. I administer respiratory therapy treatments by performing bronchopulmonary drainage; assisting with breathing exercises; monitoring physiological responses to therapy, such as vital signs, arterial blood gases, and blood chemistry changes; directing treatments given by aides, technicians and assistants.
I evaluates effects of respiratory therapy treatment plan by observing, noting, and evaluating patient's progress; recommending adjustments and modifications.
A perfect place to obtain experience
A typical PM shift would start by taking vital signs. Coworkers were fun and friendly always willing to help. the hardest part of the job was when the supervisors would float you to a different unit.
Pros
met new patients everyday.
Cons
no free lunches
You Can Learn A Lot Here
Although LACH does not offer a new-grad program, they do offer a 6-week orientation program. I felt like my orientation was a sub-par. Fortunately, after my completion of my orientation, I'm building my nursing knowledge day-by-day with the help of a great group of colleagues. But things are definitely changing with a recent hire of a nursing educator who is an advocate in making the new-hire orientation more structured. Overall, you will learn A LOT here so I feel that it's worth it to get your experience here before you feel you may want to work somewhere else.
Pros
You will see administration making rounds daily, There are great coworkers who work as a team, You will gain significant nursing skills and knowledge
Cons
Cafeteria hours are limited to breakfast and lunch, Small employee parking lot, It's very busy no matter what unit you work in
Hospital I would not go to or take my close ones
This hospital is definitely a scare due to the inpatient nursing staff and rudeness towards patients when family members are not around or even when patients are limited on communication. The nursing staff definitely needs workshops and ways to assist them in not burning out and being able to balance personal life from professional life.
Very busy hospital, fast pace, lots of oppurtunity to learn other positions, lots of responibility, loved working here.
Fast paced, always busy, co-workers always willing to help when very busy. Learned other positions, PBX operator, Willing to help people and getting satisfaction when they were happy.
Great personalities of the various staff that I worked with.
I learned the basics of nursing here. You don't have all the resources available so you learn how to manage your time. The hardest part of the job is learning how to deal with the type of patients this hospital gets. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with many great nurses that I got to learn from.
Great place to start in acute care nursing
On a daily basis I report to the Administrative Supervisor, and/or CNO. Every day is different because I will float to which ever unit needs the most assistance where I can take on the role of charge nurse. I assist in every aspect of nursing. On most days I will audit patient charts to ensure that we are up to DNV standards. I have hundreds of co-workers in which I get along with very well. The hardest part of my job is not knowing where I will be day after day, and the most enjoyable is that I am constantly learning and improving in my career.
Pros
Schedule flexibility
Cons
Short breaks and constantly on my feet.
Fun place to work
Prep on Iv's medication, deliver medications to correct patients room. clean the pharmacy. Type in new medications daily, order medication throughout cardinals when pharmacy is low on stock. Call nurse to verify order. Deliver medication to other sister's hospital. restock pharmacy.
Pros
great discount for employees in the cafeteria
Cons
short on lunch time
pleasant place to work at
Duties consisted of answering heavy volume phone calls, billing, scheduling appointments, and maintaining a filing system. Made referrals for patients to specialists. Dealt with professionals in the medical field.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Los Angeles Community Hospital. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7