Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority

Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority Employee Reviews

Provides exposure to numerous technology sectors
PRINCIPAL SOFTWARE ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 4, 2018
Provides lots of experience in many business and technical areas. Builds knowledge and exposure in the transit industry to help the citizens of Los Angeles County. It gave opportunity to provide solutions for their daily commute to work, home and other part of their lives.
Pros
Lots of experience
Fun
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Antelope, CASeptember 19, 2018
Give others permission to be joyful. Our first step to creating a joy spot at work is to give others permission to have fun! ...
Change the way you conduct staff meetings.
Pros
Lunches
Cons
Break
It depends
Transportation Associate I (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 5, 2018
The job quality is dependent on the type of department you work for. Some departments invest time and effort in your career advancement while others don't. Your time is spent well, only if you see your work is aiding the needs of the department and you are truly benefitting from doing the work asked from you.
Pros
Relaxed environment, free bus and rail pass
I had to pick up MTA customers
Bus operator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles County, CAJuly 24, 2018
I had a dedtinated route to drive and pick up LACMTA passengers and take them to their destination. I would work split shifts coming into work in the a.m. and taking a 2-3 hr break then going back to work and complete my assignment.
Pros
Prefer to work straight shift
Great company with a bright future!
Senior Environmental Specialist (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 27, 2018
Working at Metro is seriously great! As a young(ish) professional, I am provided with a wealth of experience and opportunities! I have no desire to leave and would recommend working here!
Pros
Great benefits, the new CEO has a great new focus on fair salaries based on market value!
Cons
easy to get silo'd in your own department
nice place to work
Senior Oversight Construction Inspector (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 24, 2018
Nice people to work with. Very thorough.Had many supervisors who were all efficient.I enjoyed working with them on a daily basis. Any questions I had I knew who to go to and get the answers I needed.
stressful and unsafe
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAApril 2, 2018
Over worked under paid with a typical day that would start at 5am and would end at 430 pm and you would only get paid for eight hours due to a spit that is about four hours.Not to mention the large amount of homeless that ride the bus who are mentally ill and violent and have severe high gene problems due to the fact that they are not able to shower.This company holds the operators responsible for the unsafe action of the public to limit liability. After being attack by a customer and by metroMTA I have choose to look for employment elsewhere
Pros
Cons
health is compromise and family
Workplace Culture
Principal Contract Administrator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 30, 2018
Metro's work culture is slow-paced yet stressful. The skill level and dedication of Contract Administrators vary widely. Some are extremely competent but some are too laid-back. There were instances where employees have to pick up slack for others and that is unfair. It appears that there are some disconnect between management and staff.
Pros
Free Metro pass
Cons
stress
A company striving to provide excellence in service and support
TAP Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 29, 2018
A company thriving to cultivate a long-life learning culture. Metro Los Angeles County is creating a platform for it's employees to excel in innovation, leadership, and best practices. The Metro Leadership Academy is breaking barriers in inclusionary leadership.
Pros
Benefits and Tuition Reimbursement
Cons
Not all employees belive in the work they do for a more sustainable future.
Good
Graphic Design Intern at Metro Design Studio (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 13, 2018
It was a really good starting point for my first job and getting to know how designing works with clients' requests and learned a lot new skills. Also, Working over there pushed me a lot of my work and thinking.
Metro
Public Information Officer (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 7, 2018
Developed relationships with many members of the media and gained a deeper understanding of the way information is disseminated throughout Los Angeles. Learned a great deal about Los Angeles politics and working with partner agencies through work in promoting various large-scale transit projects, funding ballot measures and community events that affect thousands, such as Carmageddon.

Worked closely with teams in promotions, marketing, operations and educational programs and played different roles on multiple projects. It's an environment where no two work days are exactly the same.
LA Metro, nepotism at its finest
Transportation Associate (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 12, 2018
LA Metro pays great, if you managed to get hired. Nepotism is rampant, I just wished I was related or was close to someone who had pull there. If its between a hard worker or a relative, unfortunately for us who don't have any connection with them other than applying online or from the street, the chances are relationships will trump hard work or experience. Of course they won't admit that but I've seen it first hand and from the people that work there, I had a great supervisor, I loved her but the rest of the people there in general were very clicky and involved lots of politics. I just wanted to work, I wish I knew that I had to play that game of kissing up to the right people instead of just concentrating on my job and trying to do it the best I could. I wish I knew that or else I would still be there, it wasn't in my nature to kiss up I was about the work ethic but that wasn't enough, unfortunately. I would work there again if I could but for a different department. Because of job security once you are hired permanently, there are lots of people asleep during work time, mostly engineers, which is fine. That's government bureaucracy for you. I don't hate, I want to participate but unfortunately I only have my hard work ethic on my side.
Pros
Great pay, benefits, convenient location for public transportation users
Cons
Nepotism, Politics and cut throat. Prejudice abound covered up by Political correctness
Special Agency - Government
Senior Contract Administrator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 9, 2018
Still a government agency but different with nicer perks than most government entities. People made the difference here; very collaborative overall and friendly. Great work-life balance and I have the best manager there is!

I have grown so much in almost one year and have learned an entirely new industry and procuring for IT has been great.
Pros
Workplace events, location and free bus/train passes for family
Advancement
Transportation Associate II in Security (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 23, 2018
Advancement in this company is almost impossible unless you know someone in upper management prior to being hired. Many people complain about not being able to advance even after consulting about upper management. Majority of the time Metro will make outside hires before promoting within.
Pros
Free/Cheap Transportation to work
Cons
High Turnover, Difficult to advance
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJanuary 17, 2018
Awesome Ways to word I would tell anybody to work very good hours flexible hours great pay you can work the weekend or you can have the weekends off good benefits good hourly pay
Fast paced workplace
Advocate (Current Employee) –  Escondido, CAOctober 17, 2017
I learned a lot as you interact with customers and learn to work around their problems, offering the best solution and always providing great customer service. Other expectations of the job include answering phone calls, maintaining clean store/appearance and of course, sales.
Pros
Discounts, flexible schedules
Cons
Managing
A worthwhile and learning job
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 24, 2017
Had very good vibes about personell, management, and the public serves. The job gets.increasingly routine, although the beginning may be challenging and.stressful.

There is support and as long as you do your job .correctly, there may not occur unexpected notches to this career.

The things that may derail this job are absentee ism, accidents and customer.complaints.
Pros
Riders and management are adept and friendly job security
Cons
Low seniority limits the choice of bus runs, easy to run into trouble if rules are not followed
fun and get to meet new people
Bus Operator (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CA 90012September 18, 2017
operate a bus on a daily basis threw the los angeles area while providing great costumer service. hardest part of the job is some patron suffer from mentall illness and it can be stressful not knowing what can happen to you or other patrons
Pros
you get to meet new people on a daily basis
Cons
takes time away from your family
Good place, great people
Transit Security Officer 1 (Current Employee) –  Downtown Los AngelesAugust 29, 2017
Great place to work, great people to work with. Plenty of hours available. Good training, good training opportunities, fantastic benefits. Union job as well.
Pros
Union and benefits.
Cons
To much gossip
Great careers and great coworkers!
Bus mechanic leader (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 25, 2017
A lot of awesome positions available.
Great place for both union and non union jobs.
Great people and great locations throughout Los Angeles.
Great place to advance to higher positions.
Pros
Great work environment, great pay, great benefits!
Cons
Some job positions can take a toll on you physically in the long-term.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about